May 17, 2024, 08:09:27 AM

Author Topic: Knox rejoins U-20 Team.  (Read 8866 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Knox rejoins U-20 Team.
« on: June 29, 2009, 04:41:38 PM »
Knox rejoins U-20 Team.
Southampton midfielder accepts invitation.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF)

National Under 20 Team coach Zoran Vranes is currently overseeing ongoing training sessions as this country continues its preparation for the 2009 FIFA Under 20 World Championship in September.

The team has been in training sessions five days per week at the Ato Boldon and Marvin Lee Stadiums. And Anton Corneal has joined the staff as assistant coach to Vranes with Hutson Charles also serving as an assistant coach.

The team has also been boosted by the return of prolific former Under 17 striker Stephen Knox. He was injured out of the Qualifying series for the Under 20 World Championship earlier this year. Knox topped all scorers at the Under 15 and Under 17 level and is now in full training with the T&T team.

Knox is attached to Boston University and finished the 2008 season with four assists and two goals.

Midfielder Chike Sullivan who played for T&T at the Under 17 World Championship is also back in the squad after being denied time off from College to participate at the qualifiers. Sullivan is attached to the Colorado School of Mines.

Sullivan and midfielder Sean De Silva have been appearing for Joe Public in the Bmobile Super League. They are not allowed to play for a local Professional club because they are on scholarships in the US and rules prevent them from playing professionally. Leston Paul and Qian Grosvenor are also with Joe Public.

Team manager Chris De Silva added that aside from the National team playing practice matches against Pro League outfits once ever week, some of the other national team members are also appearing for their clubs in the T&T Pro League on a regular basis.

Striker Jamal Gay also trained with the team for a month before returning to Germany recently. There was some further good news for the T&T camp on Monday as English-born midfielder Jake Thomson was in contact with the T&T management and has confirmed his interest in joining the National U-20 team.

Thomson, who was a member of England’s National Under 17 team in 2006, has a Trinidadian father. Thompson is a member of the first team for Southampton FC and was also on loan to Bournemouth AFC in January this year.

“It’s good news for us because after we enquired about his availability earlier this year, Jake has gotten back in contact with us and he wants to play for the country. We will now make the necessary arrangements to have him join the team for training and possibly the training matches we have prior to the tournament.” De Silva told TTFF Media.

The TTFF will finalize further international matches for the team. The previously announced tournament in Venezuela has been pushed back to a later date. T&T will kick off the FIFA Under 20 World Championship in the opening game against host nation Egypt on September 24.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:19:46 AM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: Knox rejoins U20 Team
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 04:51:46 PM »
Jake Thomson 

Date of Birth: 12/05/1989
Height: 5' 11" (180cm)
Weight: 11st 5lbs (72.0kg)
Previous Clubs: Bournemouth (loan)
Position: Midfielder

Currently playing for Southampton, Signed on 01-07-2008 

6 games for Bournemouth on loan with one goal, 6 games with 4 as sub for Southampton (no goals)

Thomson has settled into a more right-sided role in midfield, but his versatility across the middle and in defence is an asset to any team.

He has continued to play an important role for both the Under 18s and the Reserves.

On the international stage, he has been a key part of the Under 17s set-up, scoring a memorable brace against Italy in a 2006 European Championships qualifier.

He signed a new one-year contract in June 2008 and enjoyed a run in the first team under Jan Poortvliet before spending a successful one month loan spell at Bournemouth between January and February 2009. Jake then deputised in the first team at full back on his return when Lloyd James was suspended.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:53:48 PM by E-man »

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 06:22:04 PM »
I does still kinda half-follow Southampton. I never even knew Thomson was eligible or else I woulda follow him closer.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 06:25:18 PM »
Sounds like a good player for the U20 and one to hold on to for the future Senior team.  I hope the TTFF don't play the fool with him and allow him to lose TT eligibility.  With our small population and pool of good players, we cannot afford to grab every potentially good player we can.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 08:51:12 PM »
It sound like with that rule change he realise he could sweat for we until England notice and it would be no scene.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 08:54:09 PM »
It sound like with that rule change he realise he could sweat for we until England notice and it would be no scene.
A a how u smart so hahaha ,man crack the case oui .

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 06:51:56 AM »

The rule change does not affect him because in the old rule, players could change their nationalities once dey do it before their 21st birthday.

The new rule simply states that now, players can change their nationalities once they havent been capped by the senior team.

He seems a very decent prospect, and he comes to the fore with a little more credentials than Chris Birchall since he actually represented England at Youth level.

ah love it!!

I say cap him at senior level one time, i wonder if Kenwyne or Stern knew about him??
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
Re: Knox rejoins U-20 Team.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 07:09:32 AM »
i wonder if Kenwyne or Stern knew about him??
Probably who pass on de info.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 09:19:50 AM »
Jake Albert Thomson was the captain for England Under 17 national team in 2005. Scott Sinclair and Theo Walcott was his teammates. He cant be a bad find.

Well Done !!!!

Thomson loan halted by officials.
BBC SPORTS

Bournemouth's application to extend the loan of Southampton winger Jake Thomson for a second month has been refused.

All the club's signings, including loans, have to be ratified by the Football League as a condition of the club's exit from administration.

Boss Eddie Howe told BBC Solent: "It's a blow because he's done really well. He's starting to show what he's about - he was a real threat on Saturday."

An agreement had been agreed between the two clubs earlier this week.

Thomson has been in impressive form during his spell at Bournemouth.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 09:22:53 AM »
I say tell de man it have ah U-17 game on Aug 12th... BAM drop him on de bench against El Salvador and give him a corbeau sweat...

Story done oui.... tell him hard luck dey
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 09:24:29 AM »
Top 50 Youth Prospects in English Football - August 2008

9. Jake Thomson, Southampton, England, MC, 12/05/1989
- Since I made this list eligible under the criteria as of August 1st, Jake just sneaks in, because he's started the season as a regular fixture in Southampton's midfield. The latest product of an impressive academy, Jake can play at both ends of the pitch. He's probably best in a more defensive capacity where he can show his strength, tackling, and tenacity, but can get forward to useful effect too. If Southampton continue to struggle they won't be able to keep hold of a player who is destined for a long career in the top flight.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 09:28:48 AM »
I say tell de man it have ah U-17 game on Aug 12th... BAM drop him on de bench against El Salvador and give him a corbeau sweat...

If he so highly rated....is dat self hadda happen. Have a joint training session with de U20's and de seniors..so he eh go take it on...and lock him down.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 09:35:14 AM »

If he so highly rated....is dat self hadda happen. Have a joint training session with de U20's and de seniors..so he eh go take it on...and lock him down.

And pray that he doesn't mind being decieved and also robbed of an opportunity (should he want to change his mind) to play for his country of birth with his friends that are also being recognized as future stars.  Personally I don't like the idea of doing something like this, I rather have players who are absolutely sure they want to represent us in our senior teams than any player who is tricked into it.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »

And pray that he doesn't mind being decieved and also robbed of an opportunity
(should he want to change his mind) to play for his country of birth with his friends that are also being recognized as future stars.  Personally I don't like the idea of doing something like this, I rather have players who are absolutely sure they want to represent us in our senior teams than any player who is tricked into it.

dais we telling him hard luck after  :P ::)
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 10:14:49 AM »
Sounds like a good alternative to Khaleem Hyland, could play deep and up top.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 10:20:40 AM »

And pray that he doesn't mind being decieved and also robbed of an opportunity (should he want to change his mind) to play for his country of birth with his friends that are also being recognized as future stars.  Personally I don't like the idea of doing something like this, I rather have players who are absolutely sure they want to represent us in our senior teams than any player who is tricked into it.

Dahs wha i studying. Cuz if yuh check dat list...is some rel talented men. So he known in England. He jus want a U20 sweat or someting? Cuz if dahs de case and he eh dey fuh de long haul....den it eh make sense.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 10:34:18 AM »
man let him come and sweat man, dis is de land of baccahnal man, when time for senior cap we go worry bout dat den.

choices? sit at home and watch england play in egypt, or go and be a starter for TnT, showcase mehself, improve some more and maybe ah'll ah england call up in de furture...hmmm?
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 10:46:44 AM »
wow he ahead a lot of big time players :o hmm may as well cap him u 20 and hope he will stick around after, than just deny him all together...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »
wow he ahead a lot of big time players :o hmm may as well cap him u 20 and hope he will stick around after, than just deny him all together...

Anton go probably say "despite Thomson being a good player, he disturbs the team chemistry" and leave him on the sidelines like he did Ricky Shakes when he tried out for the U 20's back in the day.

Anton knows a lot about "team chemistry".  Just ask the U 17's.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 11:24:32 AM »
man let him come and sweat man, dis is de land of baccahnal man, when time for senior cap we go worry bout dat den.

choices? sit at home and watch england play in egypt, or go and be a starter for TnT, showcase mehself, improve some more and maybe ah'll ah england call up in de furture...hmmm?

he is making a switch of associations as he has played in an official match under 17  for england  and a player can only do that once .....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 11:54:37 AM »
Wait nah, I now realise with Corneal involved now, there is no chance for Britto to join the u-20's team anymore after "certain people who feel they have big contract" criticise him after the u-17 debacle in Mexico.

Once again..the politics and favouritsm begin.s Let's hope Knox and Gay are enough for this side, since up front is their biggest weakness.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 11:55:36 AM »

he is making a switch of associations as he has played in an official match under 17  for england  and a player can only do that once .....

Nah I think the rule change allows you to only do that once at the senior level. I think.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 12:13:18 PM »

Anton go probably say "despite Thomson being a good player, he disturbs the team chemistry" and leave him on the sidelines like he did Ricky Shakes when he tried out for the U 20's back in the day.

Anton knows a lot about "team chemistry".  Just ask the U 17's.

you'll think Anton and Vranes will have good "team"  chemistry?

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 01:19:47 PM »

He has until he's 21 to decide who he wants to play his senior football with, regardless of who he has played U-15, U-17 or U20 for.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 01:27:33 PM »

Exactly....we should try to cap him on our senior team as well. Who know's, his defensive capabilities may be add a boost to our team. At 20 yrs he could be right for our future.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 01:29:35 PM »

Exactly....we should try to cap him on our senior team as well. Who know's, his defensive capabilities may be add a boost to our team. At 20 yrs he could be right for our future.

Regardin d defence d future is now
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 01:31:15 PM »

Regardin d defence d future is now

You're right

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 01:54:35 PM »
Wow...this kid is rated very highly!!  Cap him asap!!
Hart for president

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 02:18:02 PM »
SEND MORE SAINTS...

glad to see Knox and Sullivan in de mix...

check this lil story here

back when this U-20 team was still the U-15 team... and screening was still ongoing..
I was part of the set-up.. screening and coaching in the zones ( north for me)

There was a kid on the team from England with tnt parents ...not this Thompson boy.
.his name was Malcom...thats all i remember... the players called him "English"...

very shy...quiet..just playing his "fitball"

my memory tells me he was at Spurs or Chelsea rings a bell...

He was here on "Summer" Holidays...and joined up with the team...

Dont know what became of him...and dont know if the TTFF kept tabs on him

but hear me...outstanding young talent...central midfield... all the qualities in offense and defense

and if allyuh feel leston paul and sean De Silva and dem could play...sorry...this kid was miles ahead...and thats no disrespect to out players...its a FACT

i should ask Anton or LaFoucade for his real name or if they kept up with the kid...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 02:42:12 PM »

ah know men on kicks wid dat senior team/U-17 subterfuge thing eh....but seriously allyuh really feel dis fellah eh have he business done plan out ahready? c'mon now.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

1]; } ?>