May 15, 2024, 12:03:41 AM

Author Topic: Coaches and Managers Status.  (Read 30957 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Port Vale part company with chairman Peter Miller
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »
Port Vale part company with chairman Peter Miller
BBC

December 29, 2011

Port Vale have parted company with chairman Peter Miller after two-and-a-half months in charge.

Vale's board of directors carried out a review of Miller's fixed-term role, which he took up in October, and decided his tenure should cease.

Miller was appointed to raise new investment in the League Two club following the collapse of a previous takeover deal.

His departure comes five days after chief executive Perry Deakin resigned.

Miller and Deakin came under increasing pressure from supporters after the failure of their investment deal with American sports construction firm Blue Sky International.

Prior to the 2-1 victory at Hereford on Boxing Day, the club announced that they had taken out a short-term loan to help with the day-to-day running of the club.

A club statement read: "Mr Miller's specific brief was to raise new investment in Port Vale to replace investment which had not been fulfilled by the Blue Sky deal.

"It was agreed that Mr Miller's chairmanship would be reviewed at the end of December 2011, to assess the outcome of those efforts.

"At a meeting on 28 December the three other directors decided that Mr Miller's chairmanship will cease at the end of December."

The news follows complaints by the Valiants manager Micky Adams that he had not been kept informed of decisions being made by the club's board.

Following the news of the chief executive's resignation Adams told BBC Radio Stoke: "It takes me to chase people to get an answer from the people that are running the football club

"As the manager, I feel I deserve the respect of people letting me know what's happening at the club."
Port Vale: Board unhappy with £277,000 mortgage
The Sentinel

December 30, 2011

MIKE Lloyd has refused to reveal why Port Vale ended Peter Miller's term as chairman, but admits the board was unhappy at the club being saddled with a £277,000 mortgage.

Lloyd, plus fellow directors Perry Deakin and Glenn Oliver, voted to oust Miller on Wednesday, claiming his short-term appointment was up for review at the end of the year anyway.

A club statement also stated Miller was only appointed on a fixed-term basis in October, when he was handed the task of finding new investment in the wake of the collapsed Blue Sky International investment deal.

Miller, who is currently in the U.S., is due to step down at the end of the week after an assessment of his performance as Vale chairman, not that his deputy was revealing the reasons for his exit.

"I can't comment any further. We have run this past the club's lawyer and it could be subject to legal ramifications," insisted Lloyd, who has also been criticised by fans for his role in Miller's arrival at the club and election to the board without investing a penny in cash-strapped Vale.

However, Lloyd says he did not sanction or agree with Miller's decision to take out a £277,000 loan with Gibraltar-based company Continental Solutions, which was registered on December 6.

"The board were not aware that Peter arranged for the loan," added Lloyd.

"If the board wanted to take out a loan it would talk to the club's bankers about extending our overdraft facility.

"The first time the rest of the board heard about the loan was on December 16 – I was shocked as it had not been discussed at board level. The loan did not require signatures from four directors.

"A full board mandate was required to take out a loan or extend the club's overdraft facility, but it wasn't mentioned to me.

"Peter's remit was to replace the Blue Sky investment – a loan is not an investment."

A letter dated September 5 and signed by Deakin confirmed Miller's appointment as chairman on a three-year fixed term on an annual salary of £100,000, plus other lucrative perks including eight return business class flights to the UK per annum.

Lloyd claims the terms of Miller's appointment were later changed to the shorter end-of-year arrangement, although this was not mentioned when fans were in uproar on learning of his lucrative package last month.

Lloyd insists the board did nothing wrong, explaining: "The original deal involved a permanent appointment, but that was amended at a later date by the full board, including Peter, after the Blue Sky deal collapsed.

"Peter was appointed. We shouldn't have to discuss people's deals with the public.

"If a manager changes a player's agreement, you don't announce it to shareholders."

Miller's salary and perks will end with his position as chairman, but he will remain as a director until further talks with the board, Vale said.

They will not appoint a new chairman yet, with Lloyd set to preside for the time being.

And a defiant Lloyd insisted he would not step down, despite criticism of his role as acting chairman when the Blue Sky deal was negotiated and Miller was brought into the club. "I'm not due for re-election at the AGM so I'll continue as a director," he said. "My position is tenable."

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Coach Status Thread.
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2012, 07:30:02 AM »
I was surprised when City jettisoned Hughes... I thought he was fantastic, but admittedly I wasn't following like that.  Apparently there were communication issues with Mansour and his team when they came on board.  I think he's precisely they type of manager QPR needs... positive, good rapport with the players, and more importantly, a reputation for quick results.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Barcelona Boss Pep Guardiola Resigns
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2012, 06:36:40 AM »
http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/04/27/barcelona-boss-pep-guardiola-resigns-champions-league-and-la-liga-losses-prove-too-much/

Camp Nou boss steps down from Barcelona manager post.
Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola, architect of one the greatest eras in the club’s history, reportedly told players Friday he is leaving at the end of this season.
“Boys, I’m leaving Barca,” Guardiola told his players according to an online report by the biggest selling sports daily Marca, which did not identify a source.
The coach then announced his decision at 1.30pm (1130 GMT) at the Camp Nou along with president Sandro Rosell and football sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta, the club said online.
After spending most of his playing career at Barcelona, Guardiola coached Barcelona’s B team before taking control of the first-team squad in June 2008 from Dutchman Frank Rijkaard.
In his four years at the helm, he has led Barcelona to 13 titles and is credited with promoting some of most sublime football in the world, helped by huge talent including footballer of the year Lionel Messi.
“Pep is going” cried the front-page headline of Barcelona-based daily Sport, adding, however, that while his decision probably was already taken there was still a glimmer of hope.
“Where will you be better off than in Barca?” the paper pleaded beneath a photograph of the 41-year-old coach, head down and hands pressed together in deep reflection.
Fellow Catalan sports daily Mundo Deportivo hedged its bets with a front page that can be turned upside down to read either “Pep is going” or “Pep is not going”.
“Turn the front page around depending on what Guardiola says today,” the paper advised its readers.
Inside, however, the paper was more pessimistic. “He has practically decided to leave Barca: today he will tell the management and the team,” Mundo Deportivo said.
“Nevertheless, up to this morning the door was still open for him to carry on.”
No-one at the club was available to comment.
Chelsea knocked Barcelona out of the Champions League semi-finals this week and the Catalans’ arch rivals Real Madrid beat them in a pivotal league clash at the Camp Nou last weekend.
Real Madrid, leading Barcelona by seven points at the top of the league, are now all but certain to be crowned Liga champions.
Earlier this week the daily Sport said candidates to replace Guardiola included France coach Laurent Blanc, Olympiakos coach Ernesto Valverde and Athletic Bilbao’s Argentine coach Marcelo Bielsa.
In April last year Guardiola told Italian television Rai Sports that he felt his time as Barcelona coach was coming to a close.
“I feel good here but I believe my time at Barcelona is ending,” the coach said at the time.
“I’ve already done three years, one more will be four years. And in four years a big club needs a lot of courage to keep the same coach. Everyone should know when it’s the right time to go, as I always heard when I was a player.”
The coach extended his contract with Barcelona by a season in February 2011 and his deal expires in June this year.

Well look Baccaaaannnnalllllll! What allyuh do de man boy?
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: Barcelona Boss Pep Guardiola Resigns
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2012, 06:49:14 AM »
He jess take in front.

The key performers aging, the club in debt and people figure out how to shut them down...with no plan B wha yuh go do again.

Mourinho go wine on dem.

Watch the waggonists hop off now....

Including players, I wonder how cesc feeling?

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2011/2012 Coaches and Manager Status.
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2012, 06:53:59 AM »
really boy Merger. Yuh really think ah man could find Pep resign which has to be hot news and dey will find dat in 2012 Manager status? It couldn't sit a bit more to let de masses know? Scene!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: 2011/2012 Coaches and Manager Status.
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2012, 07:31:33 AM »
Pep hinted since October that he may step down, so it is really not all that surprising.
Sad though because Pep's Barca has given us me some of the most spectacular football I have
ever witnessed. Great run!  :applause:

PS Touches don't be surprise if that mad ass organization called Real Madrid eh fire Jose nah. Remember what they do to Del Bosque (the most successful Madrid manager in recent history), they fire the man the day after he win the league. After all he do for that club, delivering two CL itles, two leaue titles, 1 Spanish Super Cup, 1 UEFA Super Cup and a World Club Championship in 4 years. Since that decision they never bounce back.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Coaches and Managers Status.
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2012, 10:23:13 AM »
Pep hinted since October that he may step down, so it is really not all that surprising.
Sad though because Pep's Barca has given us me some of the most spectacular football I have

PS Touches don't be surprise if that mad ass organization called Real Madrid eh fire Jose nah. Remember what they do to Del Bosque (the most successful Madrid manager in recent history), they fire the man the day after he win the league. After all he do for that club, delivering two CL itles, two leaue titles, 1 Spanish Super Cup, 1 UEFA Super Cup and a World Club Championship in 4 years. Since that decision they never bounce back.
To me that was the hugest mistake they made...and as u said haven't until recently started looking anything close to that

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Coaches and Managers Status.
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2012, 11:57:04 AM »

Dat is Y i am a Real hater if dey could do he dat. Ah mean come on. 
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Roy Hodgson appointed England Manager
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2012, 08:03:36 AM »
http://www.thefa.com/England/News/2012/roy-hodgson-appointed-england-manager

Roy Hodgson appointed England Manager
The 64-year-old becomes England's 13th permanent Manager.

The Football Association is delighted to announce the appointment of Roy Hodgson as England Manager.

Joining from West Bromwich Albion, Hodgson has agreed a four year deal to become the full-time Manager of the Three Lions.

Hodgson, aged 64, who has won a total of eight league titles in a distinguished career, and coached the national teams of Switzerland, Finland and United Arab Emirates, met with FA officials at Wembley on Monday.

Having taken Switzerland to the FIFA World Cup™ in 1994 – their first Finals competition for 28 years – Hodgson also achieved a FIFA ranking of third in the world as well as successfully qualifying the team for Euro 96.

His former clubs include Inter Milan, Blackburn Rovers, Grasshoppers, FC Copenhagen, Fulham and Liverpool. He has also managed in Norway and Sweden. In addition, he has been a regular member of FIFA and UEFA’s technical study groups at tournaments.

Along with his vast experience of international and European football, Hodgson is the only English manager currently working in the top flight to have won the League Managers' Association manager of the year award.

The new Manager will take charge of England at Wembley for the first time, when the Three Lions take on Belgium on Saturday 2 June at Wembley Stadium (kick-off 5.15pm). Tickets are available at www.TheFA.com/Tickets

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Roy Hodgson appointed England Manager
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2012, 08:41:25 AM »
Let the circus continue..!!! ;D

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »
Conservative appointment by FA.  Probably cheaper than going after Redknapp.  The deciding factor might have been his willingness to embrace the whole developmental role that now comes with being manager of England.  Redknapp supposedly had reservations about that.  Plus, Hodgson has loads of international experience.  Didn't work out for him at 'Pool, but he has a knack for getting average teams to over achieve.  Let's see how he manages the egos that come into the England fold. ;)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2012, 08:53:50 AM »
Zamora go make side now...Hodgson liked him while at Fulham.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2012, 09:29:44 AM »
Zamora go make side now...Hodgson liked him while at Fulham.

Cue Big Mag in 5...4...3....2....

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2012, 10:49:01 AM »
roy is have a new work every few months. this is the biggest one though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17893439

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »
Conservative appointment by FA.  Probably cheaper than going after Redknapp.  The deciding factor might have been his willingness to embrace the whole developmental role that now comes with being manager of England.  Redknapp supposedly had reservations about that.  Plus, Hodgson has loads of international experience.  Didn't work out for him at 'Pool, but he has a knack for getting average teams to over achieve.  Let's see how he manages the egos that come into the England fold. ;)

Don't forget that Redknapp was coming with baggage too.  As much as I am happy for Roy (this is vindication for the way he was dumped at Liverpool, necessary as the firing was), I have to say that this is the most uninspired hire in quite some time.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2012, 12:04:52 PM »

Don't forget that Redknapp was coming with baggage too.  As much as I am happy for Roy (this is vindication for the way he was dumped at Liverpool, necessary as the firing was), I have to say that this is the most uninspired hire in quite some time.

Kinda goes with the personality that is Hudgson.  His training regimen is supposedly very consistent; you do the same thing over and over.  His methods often take a while to be instilled into the players, but he eventually gets what he wants out of his team. 

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2012, 02:11:50 PM »
he run with finland to almost make euro 2008 was impressive eh. also switzerland 94 but that was long time now.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2012, 02:22:58 PM »
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2012, 02:50:57 PM »
Antithetical to everything Capello was trying to achieve with English Football

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »
shit side is a shit side
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2012, 01:07:57 AM »
The press will be / already are at him anyway so its not going to end well.

Simply because they had already chosen Redknapp, good old Arry one of the boys.  I think Hodgson is OK, does well with what he is given to work with, at Liverpool it was fairly obvious the players didn't want to know and got their wish.  It makes little difference England are what they are, a lot of the old guard are finsihed after the Euro's anyway, Terry, Lampard, Gerrard so younger players need to be found / brought in which should avoid a repeat of Liverpool situation. 

As for Redknapp, he buys teams, shunts players he doesn't want very quickly, the problem he would of had is that he can only work with what he has at his disposal. 

I don't give a monkeys about England to be frank, but Hodgson won't be given a chance by the press.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2012, 04:52:54 AM »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2012, 05:10:07 AM »
Roy is a better choice than Harry in my opinion.  Harry seems more of a hit and miss without a plan B.  I hope the media gets off the "we want 'arry" train and back their manager.
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »
Roy Hodgson is decent coach, but for one to say that he is better than Sir Alex Ferguson (who led Aberdeen to a Scottish League Title, breaking the Old Firm Duopoly,and his amazing success at Man Utd), is somewhat of a stretch, to put it mildly.

Ben Foster must have consumed huge quantities of that Australian alcoholic beverage which bears his surname, prior to making such a statement.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foster: Roy a better coach than Sir Alex
May 2, 2012

By ESPN staff

West Brom goalkeeper Ben Foster believes new England manager Roy Hodgson is the best coach he has ever worked with - better even than Sir Alex Ferguson.

Foster has spent the past year working under Hodgson, who was named as the new Three Lions coach on Tuesday, playing a key role as the Hawthorns club have established their place in the Premier League.

The shot-stopper spent five years working under Ferguson at Manchester United earlier in his career but feels, from a personal viewpoint at least, that Hodgson is actually the superior coach.

"Fergie is obviously the whole caboodle with man-management and things like that. But as far as coaches go, Roy is definitely the best I have worked under. He is fantastic," Foster told the Mirror. "He has a few of the fans and stuff to win over but I am sure he will get results to start with and that will be it, he will be flying.

"I have read a few interviews saying he is a bit of a yes-man and things like that. It is definitely not true. Those people have obviously never worked with Roy Hodgson before. He is a lovely guy and knows his stuff.

"But behind closed doors he is a tough character. He won't take any rubbish from anyone, and rightly so. You should respect your manager.

"This is the first time I have got to work with him. But the time I have been with him, he knows football in and out. He is absolutely meticulous in his preparations, and goes into the fine details of the team we are going to be playing against.

"He lives and breathes football. It is everything to Roy Hodgson."

Much has been made of Hodgson's failure at his last high-profile appointment - with Liverpool almost two years ago. Foster believes the 64-year-old has been harshly judged for a spell that, in the league at least, was not markedly different from his successor Kenny Dalglish's current run of form.

"A lot of people are hanging on to the Liverpool thing as well and bringing that up. If you look at his record and compare it to Kenny Dalglish it is pretty similar," he said. "It didn't go too well for Roy but I don't think you can keep hanging on to that. I can only go from what I have seen this season.

"He has been absolutely fantastic and a pleasure to work with."

Foster's comments may suggest that he is looking for a route back into the international setup, after declaring himself unavailable for a call-up during Fabio Capello's reign. However, he insists he will remain in international retirement despite Hodgson's appointment.

"I stick by my decision. I am happy with the decision I made. Rob Green has had a good season in the Championship and John Ruddy is up and coming and done well.

"It would be very unfair on people like that if I just changed my decision and got straight back in."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1060791/ben-foster:-roy-hodgson-a-better-coach-than-sir-alex-ferguson?cc=5901

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Manager/Coach Status Thread.
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2012, 02:56:44 AM »
Lawrence looks set for Liverpool role
By Nigel Simon

Former Soca Warriors World Cup defender, Denis Lawrence, current assistant coach at Wigan Athletic could be set for an historic coaching role at managerless English Premiership club, Liverpool FC within the coming days.

This after Roberto Martin, the coach of Wigan was given permission by his current employers to speak to Liverpool, one of England’s most celebrated clubs about a possible move to Anfield.

The 37-year-old Lawrence, who played for Wrexham before signing for Martinez at Swansea City was named the assistant coach at Wigan last season and has been part of its technical staff ever since along with Graeme Jones, another assistant coach.

Yesterday it was reported that Wigan chairman Dave Whelan had given Liverpool permission to speak to Martinez, following an approach from the Carling Cup winners.

Liverpool is seeking a manager following Wednesday’s sacking of Kenny Dalglish. Speaking to Sky Sports News yesterday, Whelan said: “If Liverpool are serious then I may lose him.” Whelan has always said he felt the Spaniard was destined to manage one of Europe's top clubs and he would not stand in his way should one come calling.

The Wigan chairman revealed the Reds made an approach earlier yesterday and he gave Martinez permission to speak with them. “When they phoned me I was actually with Roberto having a meeting on what we are doing next season,” he said.

“I did promise Roberto and I have always said when a big club comes he would have permission to talk to them and they don’t come any bigger than Liverpool.

“I gave him permission and he will be talking to them soon—I don’t know when, but quite soon. “When Liverpool sacked Kenny I have to say I thought Liverpool would be knocking on the door and sure enough they are.

“I would love to keep him but I have told Roberto he has my permission to speak with Liverpool.” Martinez will not be the only manager owners Fenway Sports Group speak to in their quest to replace Dalglish and he would be far from the populist choice.

Questions have already been asked about his suitability for a club the size of Liverpool, considering he only has experience at the bottom end of the Premier League with Wigan and in the Football League with Swansea prior to that.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:23:43 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Coaches and Managers Status.
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2012, 01:37:04 AM »
I guess we need to start a thread for 2012-2013, but until then...

Paul Lambert has left Norwich to take over Aston Villa
Chris Hughton has left Birmingham to take over Lambert's old job with Norwich

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: 2012/13 Manager/Coach Status Thread.
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »
Maradona sacked by Al-Wasl
PA News

Diego Maradona has been sacked as manager of United Arab Emirates club Al-Wasl.

The legendary Argentinian's position had been in doubt since last month when the club's entire board resigned following a trophy-less season.

Maradona was appointed boss in May last year, but after only managing eighth place in the Pro-League in his first season in charge he has been sacked after meeting the new board today.

It was decided to terminate the services of coach Diego Maradona and his technical staff. Club statement

"Following a meeting held by the board of directors of Al Wasl Football Company held today [Tuesday], to evaluate the technical staff of Al Wasl Football Team under the leadership of coach Diego Maradona, it was decided to terminate the services of coach Diego Maradona and his technical staff," a statement from the club said.

Maradona still had a year to run on his contract with the ambitious Dubai-based club.

The 51-year-old had been brought in to help boost the club's profile, both on and off the pitch, but in addition to a disappointing league campaign they crashed out of the President's Cup and Emirates Cup at the quarter-final stage.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Dumplingdinho

Finally Mano Menezes got fired
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2012, 07:12:58 PM »
Brazil coach Mano Menezes fired

SAO PAULO (AP) -The Brazil football federation fired coach Mano Menezes on Friday, a controversial move that pleased many Brazilians who had been calling for his dismissal but worried others who believe the change comes too close to the 2014 World Cup.

Federation director Andres Sanchez, who made it clear that he didn't agree with the decision to fire Menezes, said the decision was made by president Jose Maria Marin after a meeting in Sao Paulo on Friday.

"The president believes that the national team needs to go in a different direction and for that he needs a new coach,'' Sanchez said. "The president wants new methods and new planning for the national team next year.''

World Cup-winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, who is without a job, is one of the names touted to replace Menezes, but Sanchez said he doesn't think negotiations for a new coach are under way just yet.

Sanchez, as the federation director, is in charge of the national team. Though he disagreed with the firing, Sanchez said the president was being "brave'' and called it a "bold'' move to make the change.

"He is looking forward and we have to respect it,'' Sanchez said. "The president feels that this is not the national team that he wants.''

The 80-year-old Marin took over the football federation earlier this year after former president Ricardo Teixeira left his post amid widespread allegations of wrongdoing. Marin had not publicly criticized Menezes' methods, but he always stopped short of guaranteeing the coach would be in charge for next year's Confederations Cup and the World Cup that Brazil will host.

Sanchez said he personally talked to Menezes and the coach "obviously didn't like to hear'' that he was being fired.

"Nobody wants to hear that, but he will move on and is ready to coach another club or a national team,'' Sanchez said.

The director said Menezes wasn't dismissed because of poor results.

"Mano did a good job,'' Sanchez said. "He faced difficulties but the work being done was improving. If the problem was the lack of good results he would have been fired earlier. He was winning recently.''

The news came two days after Brazil beat Argentina on penalties to win the Superclassic of the Americas, a two-leg series in which the South American rivals use players from local clubs. It was Brazil's final match of the year.

Menezes was heavily criticized earlier this year because of the team's lackluster play, but good results recently had helped ease the complaints from fans and local media.

He coached Brazil for 33 matches, leading it to 21 victories, six losses and six draws. The main complaint against Menezes was that his team struggled in games against top teams and only beat the weaker sides.

He revamped the national team, replacing former stars such as Ronaldinho and Robinho by young promising players such as Neymar, Oscar and Lucas.

"The team was about 85 percent set, but what happens now will depend on the new coach,'' Sanchez said. "I respect the president's decision, but it interrupts the work that was under way and I don't think it came at a right moment.''

The calls for Menezes' firing increased significantly after he failed to lead Brazil to the 2012 Olympic gold medal despite having most of his top players available at the under-23 tournament in London. Brazil lost the final to Mexico at Wembley.

Menezes was jeered by fans in Sao Paulo when Brazil struggled in a 1-0 win over South Africa in a friendly in September.

Pele and Romario have been among Menezes' critics.

"Today is a historic day, Brazil needs to celebrate,'' Romario said on his Facebook page. "Finally the federation did something good for Brazilian football. It took a while to happen, but it did.''

Romario called for Scolari's return to the national team.

Scolari, who led Brazil to the 2002 World Cup title in South Korea and Japan, never ruled out coaching Brazil again, but he was tied with Brazilian club Palmeiras until earlier this year.

His contract with Palmeiras ended after he failed to improve the team's situation in the Brazilian league, and fans immediately called for his return to the national squad even though he accepted some of the responsibility for Palmeiras' recent relegation. The team had won the Brazilian Cup under Scolari this year.

When Brazil struggled in a recent match against Argentina, fans chanted "Goodbye, Mano,'' and "Come back Scolari.''

Menezes took over after Brazil's elimination at the 2010 World Cup, when Dunga's team fell to the Netherlands in the quarterfinals.

Muricy Ramalho was the first choice at the time, but the four-time Brazilian league champion turned down the job because of his contract with Fluminense.

Menezes had coached Gremio and Corinthians in Brazil but had no previous international experience.

Ramalho, now with Santos, is also touted to replace Menezes, as is current Corinthians coach Tite and Gremio manager Vanderlei Luxemburgo, who previously had a brief spell as Brazil coach

Source:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/soccer/wires/11/23/2080.ap.soc.brazil.menezes.2nd.ld.writethru.836/index.html#ixzz2D68YETdZ

Let the speculation begin:
http://www.sambafoot.com/en/news/39181_dunga_to_return_to_work_in_2013.html

http://www.sambafoot.com/en/news/39228_santos_head_coach_muricy_ramalho_surprised_at_the_sacking_of_selecao_boss_mano_menezes_and_remained_coy_over_the_possibility_of_taking_the_role.html

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:17:41 PM by Nightmare »

giggsy11

Re: Finally Mano Menezes got fired
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2012, 07:31:45 PM »
Give Pep the job!

1]; } ?>