May 26, 2024, 03:13:52 PM

Author Topic: Africa and the U20 World Cup  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Africa and the U20 World Cup
« on: July 08, 2007, 10:28:21 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, after today's results 4 out of 4 African teams have qualified for the round of 16. I not backing anyone in particular, I just like to see them play. Pace and skill to match the best but so often undone by naivety and tactical indiscipline. This bunch however seems to very well coached.

Even though it is not new for African teams to do well at youth level I think the standard of football is improving there. That's great news for fans of the beautiful game.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Africa and the U20 World Cup
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 10:51:08 PM »
Man, dem African yutes does be some breath of fresh air in these tournaments.  They tend to play fearless, exciting, attacking football and their styles of play also bring out the best in their opponents as well.  I am happy for any African side that does well in these tournaments and I only take their victories over Brazil well.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 05:53:52 AM »
Man, dem African yutes does be some breath of fresh air in these tournaments.  They tend to play fearless, exciting, attacking football and their styles of play also bring out the best in their opponents as well.  I am happy for any African side that does well in these tournaments and I only take their victories over Brazil well.

i feel you mean..badly  ;D

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 07:43:32 AM »
Good talk...I had the chance to see Gambia live against Mexico. Even though Mexico won 3-0, the score did not reflect the play of the game. Gambia played very well and had Mexico backing up a lot in the first half. In the second half. a wicked shot out of nothing put Mexico ahead 1-0 and then Gambia opened up to try to get the equalizer, and that's all she wrote.
It was their first game so may be a bit of nerves and inexperience, but they are grew in confidence after the victories against NZ and Portugal and ended up second in the group.
Nigeria, Congo, and Zambia have also played well, and I feel Nigeria will go far in this tournament.

well yes

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 09:41:29 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, after today's results 4 out of 4 African teams have qualified for the round of 16. I not backing anyone in particular, I just like to see them play. Pace and skill to match the best but so often undone by naivety and tactical indiscipline. This bunch however seems to very well coached.

Even though it is not new for African teams to do well at youth level I think the standard of football is improving there. That's great news for fans of the beautiful game.

On point...true even of the senior teams, unfortunately.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 09:48:36 AM »
The reason for those nations doing well is most off them use over age players most children in Africa get register two year after birth so there paper work would be correct be there actual age has a big question mark just look at all the talent that come out they last five years for the most and get park up because age catch up with them. 
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 11:11:41 AM »
The reason for those nations doing well is most off them use over age players most children in Africa get register two year after birth so there paper work would be correct be there actual age has a big question mark just look at all the talent that come out they last five years for the most and get park up because age catch up with them. 

it's a fact that overage players sneak into these tournaments...but I doh buy that argument cuz your reasoning is faulty. Look at any successful Under 20 or Under 17 program..Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Holland...you will notice that even with the most successful youth teams only 2 or 3 go on to really make it big as senior players. Most, you'll never hear of again. Now I cannot defend Africans against playing overage players, but I suspect some of it stems from racism. When African nations was getting their licks, nobody said anything...Ghana went and win a couple tournaments and people start to carry on. Brazil and Mexico get caught red-handed using overage players. They've gone on to win youth tournaments since..not a word about overage players..why is that?

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 01:36:56 PM »
where allyuh watching these games brethren?

i doh get ESPNU or galavision. it have any online sources with good bitrates?

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 01:42:40 PM »

it's a fact that overage players sneak into these tournaments...but I doh buy that argument cuz your reasoning is faulty. Look at any successful Under 20 or Under 17 program..Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Holland...you will notice that even with the most successful youth teams only 2 or 3 go on to really make it big as senior players. Most, you'll never hear of again. Now I cannot defend Africans against playing overage players, but I suspect some of it stems from racism. When African nations was getting their licks, nobody said anything...Ghana went and win a couple tournaments and people start to carry on. Brazil and Mexico get caught red-handed using overage players. They've gone on to win youth tournaments since..not a word about overage players..why is that?

Actually it's so funny you should say that: When I was recently introduced to a foreign head coach In T&T, (Can't say who) the topic came up that we were both coincidentally present at the last U-20 WC Final in Holland and when I asked for said head coaches take on the game (since I thought that Nigeria was the better team and got absolutely ROBBED by the officials) the first thing out the coaches mouth is how good Nigeria were but that "....these African Teams play over-aged players...."  I felt very disappointed at the statement for the same reason you point out.

Man, dem African yutes does be some breath of fresh air in these tournaments.  They tend to play fearless, exciting, attacking football and their styles of play also bring out the best in their opponents as well.  I am happy for any African side that does well in these tournaments and I only take their victories over Brazil well.

i feel you mean..badly ;D

Nah, Actually not, boss.  :D  The only times that I really don't take a Brazil loss to heart is if and when they lose to an African team.  The last Final I can remember seing of that type was the U-19 WC Final between Brazil and Ghana.....but wait......nah, I take that back.....I was devastated when Brazil lost to Nigeria in the Olympic semi-fial in Atlanta.....for obvious reasons, though, so that one is different.  Luckily  (or should I say, not so luckily for African teams) I haven't had to experience that too often......  

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

1]; } ?>