May 06, 2024, 07:29:41 PM

Author Topic: Sunderland 2 Barnsley 0: Yorke revels in 'father-figure' role  (Read 2253 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Sunderland 2 Barnsley 0: Yorke revels in 'father-figure' role[/size]

By Simon Rushworth
Published: 23 October 2006

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/coca_cola/article1919304.ece

Leopards, it is well known, never change their spots. However Black Cats, it seems, are capable of an unexpected transformation.

Dwight Yorke, the Sunderland forward, insists the club's manager, Roy Keane, has swapped scolding criticism for constructive serenity following his move into coaching. More surprising still, perhaps, is the Trinidad and Tobago international's own sobering makeover.

Yorke, famed for his party lifestyle and love of the limelight at his peak, is now preparing to preach professionalism and perseverance after a colourful 18-year career. "It's funny really," he said, after masterminding the second-half revival which enabled Sunderland to complete a deserved, if difficult, victory against Barnsley. "When I was growing up I never saw myself being a role model.

"But I see myself as a father figure here." If Yorke the mentor is revelling in his role reversal off the pitch then Yorke the playmaker is proving equally versatile on it. Short in the engine room, Keane employed his veteran striker as a central midfielder against Andy Ritchie's Tykes and if initial results were variable then the experiment was concluded successfully.

"I thought it worked well with Dwight in the middle," said Sunderland's manager. "When I brought him here I knew he'd been playing there for his club and his country. The statistics said that Dwight made more tackles in the World Cup than any other player. We need someone who knows when to sit and when to play the ball forward."

Yorke was able to "sit" as Nyron Nosworthy and Liam Lawrence combined down the Sunderland right to set up Dean Whitehead for the home team's opening goal, eight minutes from time. Chris Brown secured the three points with a header from the substitute Ross Wallace's cross in the 88th minute.

Goals: Whitehead (82) 1-0; Brown (88) 2-0.

Sunderland (4-4-2): Ward; Nosworthy, Varga, Cunningham (Nyatanga, h-t), D Collins; Lawrence, Yorke, Whitehead, Murphy (Wallace, 74); Connolly (Leadbitter, 83), Brown. Substitutes not used: Alnwick (gk), Miller.

Barnsley (4-4-2): Colgan; Hassell, Reid, Kay, Williams; Devaney, Togwell, Howard (Healy, 72), McIndoe; Hayes (Nardiello, 84), Richards (Wright, 72). Substitutes not used: Letheren (gk), Heckingbottom.

Referee: N Swarbrick (Lancs).

Booked: Barnsley: Reid.

Man of the match: Connolly.

Attendance: 27, 918.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Sunderland 2 Barnsley 0: Yorke revels in 'father-figure' role
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 05:25:06 AM »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 06:46:19 AM »
Beenie insisted he was a striker when he came in too...but eventually all coaches are converted to the Yorke for midfield campaign. He doh complain either...he just shows it on the pitch that he is more valuable involved in the play than waiting for ''lesser'' players to get the bal to him.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 09:56:05 AM »
 :applause: kudos Yorke.  Sound like Yorke helping Keane to find his new role.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 11:17:39 AM »
Yorke always had great vision as can be demostrated when partnered up with Cole, in his role as a mid-fielder he know what the strikers up front are looking for..
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Luger

• New Warrior
  • "God+Family+Football=LIFE."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 04:55:45 PM »
Dwight Yorke Boy! This  man is truly an inspiration  for  young  aspiring footballers! Dwight continues  to  prove  himself time and  time  again to be one of Trinidad & TOBAGO's most dazzling exports. The  guy  is  simply a  world classed footballer  and  I  for  one  am elated  to  see  him  finally earn  the  respect  that  he  deserves. Of  course he has made mistakes, but  he  is  human. Nevertheless  so  his ability  to triumph  over  adversity most be considered as one  for  the  History books. WELL DONE DWIGHT! " From all night,  to all right!" Utterly fantastic.
Only reason can convince us of those three fundamental truths without a recognition of which there can be no effective liberty: that what we believe is not necessarily true; that what we like is not necessarily good; and that all questions are open.
     ~CLIVE BELL{1881-1964}Civilization[1928]

1]; } ?>