May 20, 2024, 05:54:13 PM

Author Topic: Yorke ready for challenge.  (Read 5688 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorke ready for challenge.
« on: September 12, 2006, 07:17:55 AM »
Dwight reignites hunger for football.
By: Sunderland Echo.

Dwight Yorke hopes Sunderland will reap the benefit of his rejuvenating spell in Australia, which helped him fall back in love with football after the devastating death of his sister.
The striker linked up with Sunderland at the weekend after his deadline day move from Sydney FC, but won't be involved at Leeds tomorrow.
And he says his spell Down Under was a watershed in his career.
Yorke said: "When I was in my second year at Blackburn, my sister died and I found it very difficult to deal with.
"I went to Birmingham for a season, but the death of my sister and everything else that was going on around me knocked me.
"I felt I needed to get out of it – to get out of the country.
"I got the opportunity to go to Sydney and they gave me a great year.
"After a while, I thought my sister would want me doing what I love and what I do best.
"I got my appetite for football back, Trinidad & Tobago qualified for the World Cup and now I'm here at Sunderland with an exciting new chapter to begin.
"I'm really looking forward to it."
Yorke is the first to admit that he will miss aspects of the lifestyle offered in Sydney, one of the world's greatest cities.
He was quoted in Australia saying he was "devastated" and "gutted" to be leaving Sydney when former Manchester United team-mate Roy Keane signed him for Sunderland.
But the 35-year-old said: "The truth is that Sydney is a great place to be.
"I have nothing bad to say about the place but, in terms of football, there is no comparison between Sydney and Sunderland.
"I am delighted to be here and hopefully I can do the best for Sunderland."
As revealed in Saturday's Echo, tomorrow's game at Leeds comes too soon for Yorke.
Boss Keane tasted success in his first game in charge at Derby on Saturday but may yet change his winning team, despite ruling out Yorke.
Keane said: "We'll have to see how it goes and I'll have to look at how the lads go in training today and the extent of what ever knocks and bruises we might have.
"But I'm conscious of the fact that the new lads in particular haven't had a great deal of football and so will have to be careful that we don't ask too much of them and start picking up injuries."
And the Irishman is aware that he is likely to get a hot reception at Leeds, bitter rivals of his former club Manchester United.
Keane added: "Leeds is always going to be lively and anyone who thinks it's going to be an easy night needs their heads examining.
"But that sort of response used to bring out the best in me as a player and hopefully it will do the same to my players now."
Yorke ready for challenge.
By: Nick Alexander (Sunderland FC).

New boy Dwight Yorke insists he has not come to Sunderland to be a bit-part player. Yorke, 34, was one of six transfer deadline day signings made by Roy Keane last month.
The former Manchester United striker watched Sunderland beat Derby at the weekend after jetting in from Australia, where he has played for Sydney FC for the last 12 months.
Yorke got down to work at Sunderland's training ground on Sunday but tomorrow's game against Leeds will come too soon for the striker.
Instead he is targeting Leicester's trip to the Stadium of Light on Saturday as a chance to make his debut.
Yorke's arrival at the Stadium of Light sees him link up with Keane for the first time since they were team-mates at Old Trafford.
Yorke said: "I'm glad to be here, I'm looking forward to the challenge and I want to be on the pitch from start to finish.
"If I didn't think I could play 90 minutes, I wouldn't be here, I would have stayed in Sydney and taken the easy route.
"It's a new challenge for me and I'm thrilled and flattered I was asked to come to a big club like Sunderland.
"I'm friends with Roy Keane but that's not the reason why I'm here. He knows what I'm capable of on a football field, I'm an experienced player and hopefully I can bring something to the team.
"He [Keane] has said that he sees me as someone who can play a major role and that's good enough for me.
"It's strange seeing Roy as boss, he has always been skipper to me, but I know waht he brings to the table and what is expected."
Dwight debut on hold.
By: Nick Alexander (Sunderland FC).

Roy Keane says Dwight Yorke will have to wait for his Sunderland debut. Yorke, 34, completed his third consecutive day's training at the Academy of Light this morning, but according to Sunderland's manager tomorrow's game against Leeds will come too soon.
The former Manchester United striker arrived back in England from Australia last Friday and watched Sunderland win at Derby.
A slight injury has restricted him to just one game with Sydney FC this season.
Keane said: "Yorkie has trained on Sunday and Monday, we'll have another look at him this morning but I definitely feel tomorrow night is too early for him.
"We'll probably be looking at Saturday but I'm sure the other strikers will have something to say about that."
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 09:53:18 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke ready for challenge.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 07:48:49 AM »
Based on that last line there, i guess Yorke will be playing as a striker then. Not sure if I like that..he needs quality players to create chances for him cause he not very mobile up front anymore.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 07:59:59 AM »
I feel that time has had it's toll on Dwight, striker role may be too ambitious. He can be more deadly attacking from mid-field.

Offline WarriorGoal

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 10:15:33 AM »
Well its good to see the captain back in england's football world. The Championship seems to be more exciting than the Premiereship nowadays anyway.
Soca Warriors only score Warrior goals!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorkie under Pressure?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 06:20:29 PM »
Sunderland just won their 3rd game in a row, all without Yorkie. They now lace up Leeds wit goal...3-0

So here is the question? Does Sunderland need Yorke? Will Keane change the chemistry of a winning side to put Yorkie in, or will our super-skipper have to ride the bench for a while? Oh yeah..and lastly..where de hell is Yorke anyway? Is he in Engerland yet?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yorkie under Pressure?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 06:23:20 PM »
Is he in Engerland yet?

He has been in England since last Friday and has had three training sessions wit de team.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 06:24:38 PM »
A next question i had was if Keane plan on using him in the midfield(either attacking or defensive) or as a striker?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 06:37:52 PM »
Yorke is ah cool teamate ,whatever role they give him while they winning he'll accept .

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 06:42:35 PM »
Sunderland just won their 3rd game in a row, all without Yorkie. They now lace up Leeds wit goal...3-0

So here is the question? Does Sunderland need Yorke? Will Keane change the chemistry of a winning side to put Yorkie in, or will our super-skipper have to ride the bench for a while? Oh yeah..and lastly..where de hell is Yorke anyway? Is he in Engerland yet?

Yorke will play, and start....no question about it. The only reason he will get benched if he he gets his chance and does not perform.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 09:58:23 PM »
when is sunderland's next match?anyone know if he'll be fit for it?heard he had a slight injury or sumthing and wasnt fully fit for the leeds game

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 10:48:34 PM »
when is sunderland's next match?anyone know if he'll be fit for it?heard he had a slight injury or sumthing and wasnt fully fit for the leeds game
He wasn't fully fit but no injury. Should play this weekend.

1]; } ?>