May 14, 2024, 10:45:44 AM

Author Topic: Legend Best 'enters final hours'  (Read 9043 times)

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: Legend Best 'enters final hours'
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2005, 02:33:30 PM »
ok sorry to hear that
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2005, 02:45:36 PM »
The best player never to grace a FIFA World Cupâ„¢
By: FIFAworldcup.com.

If there is just one collective belief among British football fans it is that George Best was the most gifted player to have emerged from their shores. Best mesmerised fans, rivals and even his fellow team-mates with his extensive repertoire of skills, explosive forays into the opposing area and ability to win matches almost single-handedly. With his Beatles-style moptop haircut, perhaps no other sporting figure so epitomised the feel-good mood of the Swinging Sixties.
As it would later in his life, fate played an important part in shaping Best's early career. Bob Bishop, a Manchester United scout scouring Ulster for fresh talent spotted a slight, bony teenager in action with Lisnasharragh Intermediate School and was impressed enough to immediately call club manager Matt Busby. The wheels were set in motion to bring Best and his friend Eric McMordie to England for a trial with United. The two 15-year-olds arrived at Old Trafford in 1961 but after spending just one day with the club, homesickness set in and the pair decided to return back home. But after some convincing by his father, Best returned to United less than a fortnight later.

It would only take another two years before Best graduated to the first team. He made an impact on his league debut, aged 17, in the 1-0 victory against West Bromwich Albion on 14 September 1963. Two weeks later, he claimed his first goal as the Red Devils trounced visiting Burnley 5-1. United ended the season as runners-up to league champions Leeds United but it was clear that the young Best, finishing his debut season with six goals, was a hot prospect. It was also during this season that the teenage Best won his first Northern Ireland cap in a 3-2 victory over Wales.

United collected the league title the following year on goal average and there were further glimpses of Best's greatness. Showing a fearless attitude beyond his years, Best showed not the faintest glimmer of fear as he darted his way around the toughest defences in the top flight, gliding past the crunching tackles of infamous hard-knock stoppers such as Liverpool's Tommy Smith, Leeds' Norman Hunter and Chelsea's Ron Harris. On many occasion, those spell-binding runs were capped with a goal.

As his close friend Rodney Marsh explained: "Bestie was the quickest, the cleverest, and the most destructive player around. There was no-one braver, he could head the ball, score and pass equally brilliantly with both feet and had a superb engine. He never stopped running."

In March 1966 Best scored twice as Manchester United beat Benfica 5-1 in Lisbon in a European Champion Clubs' Cup quarter-final. Pictured wearing a huge sombrero-style hat when he returned home, the papers dubbed him 'El Beatle'. At that moment he became football's first superstar in the truest sense of the word. His life was never the same again.

Best collected his second league championship medal in 1966/67 as United finished four points clear of Nottingham Forest. But true adulation was to come. The following campaign saw the Northern Irish international in truly magnificent form as United became the first English club to win the European Cup. True to form, 'Bestie' slalomed in a glorious extra-time goal to put United 2-1 in front and pave the way for a 4-1 victory.

"I used to dream about taking the ball round the keeper, stopping it on the line and then getting on my hands and knees and heading it into the net," he admitted later. "When I scored against Benfica I almost did it. I left the keeper for dead, but then I chickened out. I might have given the boss a heart attack." That season his status was elevated further when he was named both Footballer of the Year and European Footballer of the Year.

Rebellious streak
In six magical seasons with United, he scored 115 goals in 290 games including one majestic six-goal haul against an unfortunate Northampton Town side in the FA Cup. Yet fame came with a price. The media glare took its toll and Best's rebellious streak came to the fore - he gained a reputation for clubbing and heavy drinking and began to miss the occasional training session. It was the turning point of his time at Old Trafford.

Best often told a story of a bellboy who entered his hotel room with a magnum of champagne in the early 1970s. Seeing him with the current Miss World and multitudes of cash won from a night's gambling, the youth exclaimed: "George, where did it all go wrong?" Indeed, one of the most famous quotes attributed to Best could serve as the introduction to his numerous obituaries: "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered."

On 15 May, 1971, Best scored arguably the most famous 'goal' of his career at Windsor Park in Belfast against England. Gordon Banks tried to kick the ball downfield, but as he dropped the ball to his left foot, Best's right boot knocked the ball up in the air, behind the goalkeeper. The famous duo both scrambled towards the net, but Best outpaced Banks and headed the ball into the empty net. His effort was disallowed for ungentlemanly conduct, but it had left fellow legend Banks embarrassed and dazzled by Best's ultra-quick footballing brain.

Best left United in 1972 and played out his career with a number of clubs including Stockport County, Cork Celtics, Dunstable Town and Fulham. Stints in the United States with Los Angeles Aztecs, Fort Lauderdale Strikers and San Jose Earthquakes followed where he showed flashes of the old magic.

Memories of his magic ensured Best was not forgotten. Twenty-five years after his initial fall from grace, he was voted the greatest British sportsman of all time by a panel of 1,000 journalists and sports personalities. By this time however, he was battling alcoholism and a crippling liver disorder. In 2002 he underwent a liver transplant and vowed to keep off the booze once and for all. But that was to prove a promise he was unable to keep.

Georgie, the Belfast boy, arguably the greatest player never to play at a FIFA World Cupâ„¢ finals, may have departed this life but his legend will always live on.

Name: George Best
Date of birth: 22 May 1946
Birthplace: Belfast, Northern Ireland
International record: 37 caps, 9 goals
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2005, 04:01:05 PM »
All due respect to Best but dat is karma fuh yuh. De man die young - start to drink profusely and ting and let the alcohol take his life. He shoulda seen it coming.

I eh care how spectacular or brilliant ah man was in his playing days...if he let himself go and spiral down after, it does kill meh opinion of him.
Dat is why iz hard for me to like Maradona.  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: World mourns death of Best
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2005, 05:13:40 PM »
funny eh only when ah man dead people does recognise him. i aint hear bout he in years all of ah sudden men missing him

stupessssssssss
For Mancs, he was never far away... like all Manc legends.

RIP George Legend.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2005, 06:02:06 PM »
I heard Harry Redknap on BBC sports aying that Best was the best player he'd ever played against and he played against Pele. Was Best really that good?

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goal in yuh rucc**tunse
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2005, 06:09:23 PM »
If you want to see a wicked 4 minute compilation of Best, feel free to go to REDCAFE.NET (a Man Utd site) use my username: BARBA and password: BLESS and scroll to the Video forum section and you will be able to download de link. It is a great watch.

And yuh could post it here if yuh know how to.

Guidance

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2005, 06:41:00 PM »
Was Best really that good?
If you want to see a wicked 4 minute compilation of Best, feel free to go to REDCAFE.NET (a Man Utd site) use my username: BARBA and password: BLESS and scroll to the Video forum section and you will be able to download de link. It is a great watch.

George Best compilation
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline davyjenny

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
our own raymond moraldo played along side geroge best
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2005, 06:54:00 PM »
raymond whom i met many years ago in L.A played along side geroge best with the los angeles aztecs in the middle to late70's.
george best owned a bar in los angeles that raymond moraldo and friends visited quite regular back then.

the name moraldo as is known in t&t was the vice skipper for the aztecs
geroge best was the skipper.

Raymond my friend now lives in south florida.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 06:57:41 PM by davyjenny »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination

truetrini

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2005, 07:13:33 PM »
Was Best really that good?

George Best compilation

Dat man was ah real great yes!

sublime skills..even fuh dem times.  see how he beat nuff man with d echange ah pace......once in ah life time player !

Ah love de one where he lob de keeper!  Masterful  and so calm!

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2005, 10:18:40 PM »
Heard this news while travelling this weekend and it hit me real hard.

May he rest in peace. He had a full career and is a true legend.

We will be fortunate to see a player like George Best again.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2005, 10:22:18 PM »
All due respect to Best but dat is karma fuh yuh. De man die young - start to drink profusely and ting and let the alcohol take his life. He shoulda seen it coming.

I eh care how spectacular or brilliant ah man was in his playing days...if he let himself go and spiral down after, it does kill meh opinion of him.
Dat is why iz hard for me to like Maradona.  :beermug:

You can't judge a man based on his mistakes, instead look at awhat he has done to recover. Maradona has taken control of his life and is doing very well.

You can't judge him fairly unless you understand the circumstances of how he grew up why it took him so long to maure.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2005, 01:07:58 AM »
Well Maradona is back to a healthy start these days and given the legend he is, I am happy to see it. Best, however, just went down and down, he got comfortable in dat state.

Pele is fit and still lookin good at his age now, but if he was ah alcoholic now or just wasting his life away you obviously wouldnt show the same sort of respect with that in mind. 

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2005, 01:37:19 AM »
great compilation..the man was a helluva player...sad that he cudnt beat the alcoholism..
RIP
Back in Trini...

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2005, 01:58:28 AM »
George Best grew up in a poor niehbourhood in Belfast, he was scouted by Manu when he 16.
He rose to stardom very quickly. Now some of you are mouthing off on his drinking without understanding the man's life.
His mother and father were very humble people (in fact his father still lives in the council flat in Belfast that George grew up in), with his rise to fame it became difficult for his mother because people would meet her every where she went ,requesting autogragphs, telling her things about how her son was playing etc.
She eventually became an alcoholic and died from it, his autobiographer says that  George blamed himself for her demise.

People with genius like George Best live very complex lives , some of them survive it (Pele) some don't.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline teddy bear

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2005, 03:59:09 AM »
R.I.P/ Mr Best. Way ahead of his time on a football pitch. And for people who condemn him for liver transplant and drinking need to remember that he was treated for one and not the other. You might say it is for him to seek treatment and so forth, but  alcohlism is a disease that needs to be treated full circle and for him it just wasn't.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2005, 04:50:04 AM »
R.I.P/ Mr Best. Way ahead of his time on a football pitch. And for people who condemn him for liver transplant and drinking need to remember that he was treated for one and not the other. You might say it is for him to seek treatment and so forth, but  alcohlism is a disease that needs to be treated full circle and for him it just wasn't.

Agreed. Many people condemn the man but none have ever experienced the day to day life of a true alcoholic. Best was always gonna be in a difficult situation compared to many others in his situation due to the company he kept and his lifestyle. I heard the chairman of the NI FA talking outside Old Trafford last night...he said Best told him once that he couldn't even eat a Sherry Trifle (dessert with slight amount of spirit) without losing his battle to keep off drink. Best would have had to not only change his lifestye but lose a lot of work (made a lot of money from after dinner speaking, personal apperances etc) where drink was commonplace. I don't blame Best as if he wasn't ah celebrity he wouldn't have been able to get away with what he did and sadly because he was a celebrity (right till the end) all us based in the UK know what kind of pressures he was under. I blame the hospital who agreed to give him the transplant as if Best had been in a NHS hospital he would have been refused due to his lifestyle. Utd learned from their mistakes as look how they protected Giggs, Sharpe, Beckham, Scholes etc in their early careers. Best was just left to get on with it he had no role model to emulate on how to deal with being a celebrity as he was the prototype. Trust me for those who don't know, Pele may have been a greater player but Best was a bigger celebrity.  While Best was at his peak..... even as he began to slide, he was treated the same as the top Moviestars of the day.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2005, 05:12:39 AM »
George Best was to Football , what the Beatles was to music.

Offline FATZ

• Hero Warrior
  • I SELL FOOTBALL JERSEYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2005, 07:56:25 AM »
I hope he rests in peace and also that his death will educate all the man who love the alco and the cancer sticks of there ills but you all could go ahead and love up all the women once yuh don't let yuh willy be silly(i heard there's an Ato Boldon line of rubbers so ask him about them). Best was a real P I M P.
WELCOME TO DINSLEY OUT IN THE STREETZ THEY CALL ME FATZ

Without Him, I am nothing but with Him I can do all things. Phil 4:13

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2005, 03:21:29 PM »
Well Maradona is back to a healthy start these days and given the legend he is, I am happy to see it. Best, however, just went down and down, he got comfortable in dat state.

Pele is fit and still lookin good at his age now, but if he was ah alcoholic now or just wasting his life away you obviously wouldnt show the same sort of respect with that in mind. 
This is really too much...
Don't judge and condemn a man if you have not walked in his shoes and lived his life. Even at the worst of times he knew how far he had fallen;  he always asked people to "remember the football". El Diego has (so far) seems to have recovered his life, but today, he has the benefit of superior treatment, doctors and people around him (his ex-wife and daughters) who never gave up on him. George, in his short life was able to use the talents the Almighty gave him to enrich the lives of others.
 Every man is responsible for his actions, but to condemn a man when he falls is too much.

RIP George.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline ß!aCkÒuT

• Sr. Warrior
  • Time To Play The Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2005, 04:58:29 PM »
I am a youth in the football world and this is the first time im hearing of this person called george best....but as i have seen in the videos he was a true footballer....one of the best....
If love were a flame, it has ignited my soul...my one spark has created the magnificent fire of true passion

".The Poet."

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goal in yuh rucc**tunse
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2005, 06:17:00 PM »
Well young bro, yuh might want to research some ah thesee other men:
1. Eusebio
2. Di Stefano
3. Lev Yashin
4. Roger Milla
5. Abedi Pele
6. Rivelino
7. Garrincha
8. Gullit

Ah drawing blanks on many ah de rest but trust meh, dem fellas here go fix yuh up.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2005, 01:18:35 AM »
1. Johann Cruyff
2. Franz Beckenbauer
3. Gerd Muller
4. Jairzinho
5. Dino Zoff
6. Gordon Banks

Offline PortValeChris

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2005, 06:56:08 PM »
Here are some quotes made by George Best,

" I spent a lot of money on booze, women and cars,  the rest I just squandered"

"I used to go missing a lot,,,,,,,,,, Miss Canada,  Miss United Kingdom, Miss world...."

" I once told Gazza (Paul Gascoine) that his IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me "What's an IQ?"

" David Beckham cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals, apart from that he's allright"

On his spell in north america: " I saw an advert saying 'Drink Canada dry' an I thought, why not.

A true football genius who will be sadly missed.   I once  had the pleasure of watching him play, when he played for Fulham.  RIP

PortValeChris  AKA The Former TVV from onevalefan. 

Port Vale  We want ah goal!!

To market, to market, with my uncle Jim
Somebody threw a tomato at him
Now, Tomatoes don't hurt with their soft juicy skin
But this one it knackered, 'cause it come in a tin

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
All George Best fans
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2005, 12:59:29 PM »

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Re: All George Best fans
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2005, 01:07:57 PM »
RIP big George
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
One of the best...
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2006, 10:43:37 AM »
George that is, let us always remember good players that have passed.. anyother please share their clips...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwVihjQMJY

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: One of the best...
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2006, 10:57:43 AM »
NICE one  :applause:

Never really seen de man play...he beats wasnt brazil pretty..basic but deadly

As a gas brains de most fascinating ting dey was seein police use to drive Mini and put man to siddong in de BACK seat oui  :rotfl:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
George one of the Best!
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2007, 03:37:10 PM »
I never here about his guy in my life until today. Copy and paste to URL  http://manchesterunitedclassicplayers.vodpod.com/video/64064-george-best-tribute

The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: George one of the Best!
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2007, 03:49:39 PM »
Are you serious.................

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2007, 03:53:42 PM »
I never here about his guy in my life until today. Copy and paste to URL  http://manchesterunitedclassicplayers.vodpod.com/video/64064-george-best-tribute

Just had to immortalize this
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>