May 17, 2024, 05:56:49 PM

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Football / Re: The call to change citizenship law
« Last post by gawd on pitch on Today at 08:31:08 AM »
@contro

Indeed.
Football / Re: Thread for T&T vs Guyana Games (13 & 15 of May-2024)
« Last post by Flex on Today at 08:27:30 AM »
Tough choices ahead for Eve after local players shine vs Guyana.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)..

SOCA Warriors head coach Angus Eve said a few players gave him something to think about when selecting his final squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, which kick off on June 5. A second string Trinidad and Tobago outfit defeated Guyana in back-to-back friendlies at Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

In the first match on May 13, Soca Warriors got past Guyana 2-1 behind goals from strikers Ezekiel Kesar and Kevon Woodley. T&T came away with a 2-0 victory on May 15 with goals from Michel Poon-Angeron and Woodley.

Woodley, a prolific goalscorer in the TT Premier Football League, was playing in his first two matches for T&T. Only a few first-team players featured in the matches against Guyana including goal-keeper Denzil Smith, defender Justin Garcia and left-wing back Andre Raymond among them. A lot of Guyana’s seasoned campaigners were also not involved in the matches.

Speaking to the media after the match, Eve said, “The games were about exposing young players and maintaining the players who are in and around the pool and I thought for the most part, a lot of the players took the opportunity and grasp it with both hands.”

Asked about Kesar and Woodley’s performance, Eve named other players he was pleased with during the two-match series.

“I will throw Matthew Woo Ling in that, I will throw Daniel David in that, I thought he was excellent in both games...I thought those four men really took the opportunity they got tonight and the previous game.”

That quartet started the first match and came off the bench in the second match. “I thought when we put them on in the second half they changed the game and we got a little more in tempo and we got more penetration, so very happy for these guys. They got the opportunity and I thought they grasp it with both hands.”

Eve said he may have a selection headache when naming his squad for the World Cup qualifiers.

“A number of them (gave me something to think about). I am not going to say it here right now, but yes a number of them gave us something to think about.”

Eve said Josiah Trimmingham, Raymond, Isaiah Garcia and Sheldon Bateau also showed quality, along with the goalkeepers – Smith, Adrian Foncette, Christopher Biggette and Aaron Enill.

The Soca Warriors coach wants the fans to come out in their numbers on June 5, saying, “I think when we use to play before, playing against Grenada was a foregone conclusion.”

Many countries in the region are seeking out footballers to play for them. Eve said Grenada are no different, as players with Grenadian roots based overseas will strengthen their squad.

“We need the 12th man to be on board with us. The guys are going to come out and give everything that they have and we just need the fans to come out and support the team. The 23 players and the TTFA (TT Football Association) alone can’t qualify.

“We need corporate (support), we need Government, we need fans, the normal man on the street because when the team does qualify then all of us will be celebrating as a nation, so we need a national effort to qualify.”

Football / Re: Tyrese Spicer Thread
« Last post by Tallman on Today at 06:53:46 AM »
‘I was a step ahead’: Toronto FC’s Tyrese Spicer on going head-to-head with Nashville’s Jacob Shaffelburg
By Andrew Hockridge (Waking the Red)

On Wednesday night in Nashville, a showdown between two of the fastest players on the pitch saw Tyrese Spicer tasked with keeping Jacob Shaffelburg at bay.

That was part of the game plan that acting Toronto FC head coach Jason de Vos and his team aimed to execute to secure at least a point in Nashville. That part of the plan was effectively accomplished and TFC were on the verge of departing Nashville with a point before slipping to a late 2-0 defeat.

Making his seventh start for the club, the Reds’ No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 MLS SuperDraft Spicer was matched with CanMNT winger Shaffelburg the familiar face to TFC fans. And Spicer was confident that he stood up well to the task.

“I mean, he had a lot of experiences and he’s a very good dynamic player,” Spicer told reporters post-game of his effort to contain the pacey winger.

“I would say I was up to the task. I didn’t doubt myself at all. I was believing myself. It was self-belief. You could do anything with that. John [Herdman] was like, you have [the] quality of the speed to match his speed.”

With determination on his side, Spicer faced the challenge head-on. And assistant coach De Vos, stepping up in John Herdman’s absence, was proud of how his team matched up against a side who weren’t able to find their stride until the dying minutes of the game.

“I thought the players that stepped in today did an excellent job and executed the game plan,” De Vos told reporters in the post-game press conference.

“Just to be a tight team, to be very difficult to play through, to beat, to deal with their front two. And the pace that they have and the pace of Shaffelburg, who we know very well from our time with the national team.

“For large parts of the game, we did that. There’s a lot to be proud of, a lot to be pleased with.”

Despite facing unfortunate circumstances with a long list of injuries and suspensions, TFC’s makeshift lineup performed well, setting the stage for former Lipscomb University man Spicer to impress with a strong individual performance.

He did his job on Shaffelburg; by the time the Reds succumbed to late goals from two of Nashville’s second-half substitutes, Shaq Moore in the 81st minute and Teal Bunbury in stoppage time, Shaffelburg had been off the field for more than 20 minutes as he was substituted on the hour mark.

“I think I was just focused. I was always a step ahead of [Shaffelburg]. And I think that I did well. My teammates were like ‘really good job’ [at] half-time. Again, go back out there second half and do the same job. And I think I did a good job. I think John should be [happy]. I’m happy with that.”

Looking ahead, TFC must maintain their focus for their upcoming home games as they host Canadian rivals CF Montréal at BMO Field on Saturday for the 42nd installment of the 401 Derby.

“I just think that we look forward to that Montréal game,” Spicer added. “It’s going to be a derby game. It’s going to be my first derby game. I think it’s going to be very aggressive, very intense, very high-tempo game.

“Playing at home, BMO Field, we play for the fans, we play to entertain the fans. So I think we have a good mindset. We go back to the training ground and practice and come out there strong and get that three points on Saturday.”

Unless TFC’s absentee list improves dramatically over the next 48 hours, Spicer could be in line for a big role again.
Trinidad and Tobago never select their best players local or abroad  :D
Football / Re: The call to change citizenship law
« Last post by Controversial on Yesterday at 11:03:42 PM »
They haven't changed the law because they are operating like the former colonials...

Protectionism to keep ex pats and their kids from changing the old guard that is controlled. They keep these outdated laws this way to prevent change..

We don't like in a progressive TT society...

« Last post by Deeks on Yesterday at 02:54:18 PM »
Thanks guys.
« Last post by Deeks on Yesterday at 02:53:15 PM »
Woodley is 37. He scored in both games. Where was he 5 or 10 years ago? His fitness can be a barrier to the getting on the NT

Where was he ? Hiding in plain sight. Remember, 5/10 years ago TTFF/TTFA was rubbish.
« Last post by Deeks on Yesterday at 02:49:24 PM »
Showtime should have been given a chance before Rundell and Malcolm Shaw...though he is old, I think he should be given a chance going forward...mis dos centavos

A buddy in TT told me that right now Showtime  is the best center forward/striker in TT. However the age factor is an issue. But if push come to shove, and he outperforming every body, he should be on the team. Honestly I think he should get a try, especially against a so-called weaker team.
« Last post by Trini _2026 on Yesterday at 12:39:42 PM »
Deeks nothing special to talk about
btw Fyzo is guyana we play
muckette I wonder why he is selected ....
« Last post by Fyzoman on Yesterday at 12:29:41 PM »
The full game is on YouTube on the 'SportsMax TV' channel.

Re Peong's observation, is Akash Dhanai still the team doctor; if so was he one of the guys who put Isiah Lee thru the on-field concussion test (which lasted a little over one minute?)...I would hope it was doctor who put him thru those tests.

Eve really trying to force Goddard on this team, sheesh!! Poon-Angeron is a similar player and better passer, but ok.

I've given up trying to figure out just why Muckette cannot be a starter on this team

Hamilton could easily replace Malcolm Shaw, Trimmingham should be in the squad, even if not a starter.

Showtime should have been given a chance before Rundell and Malcolm Shaw...though he is old, I think he should be given a chance going forward...mis dos centavos.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1]; } ?>