May 18, 2024, 03:10:36 AM

Author Topic: Pettigrew Admits to Doping  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pettigrew Admits to Doping
« on: May 23, 2008, 01:37:22 AM »
May 23, 2008

Pettigrew Admits to Doping, Jeopardizing Relay Gold Medals

By DUFF WILSON

SAN FRANCISCO — The Olympic gold medalist and former world champion sprinter Antonio Pettigrew acknowledged in federal court Thursday that he used performance-enhancing drugs from 1997 to 2001.

Pettigrew’s admission triggered an antidoping case that could cost him and his United States teammates the gold medals they won in the 4x400-meter relay in the 2000 Olympics and the 2001 world championship.

Testifying publicly at the trial of his former coach Trevor Graham, Pettigrew, who was visibly downcast, said, “I’m in it now, and I have to face the consequences.”

Jim Scherr, chief executive of the United States Olympic Committee, said in a statement late Thursday, “If an athlete who ran in the finals knowingly and purposely engaged in cheating, the medals won by the entire team are tarnished and, in our view, should be returned.”

Pettigrew, 40, has never tested positive for drugs, but he said he used human growth hormone to become stronger and took the blood-boosting drug EPO to improve his endurance at Graham’s suggestion. He was subpoenaed for the trial, forced to testify under penalty of perjury, and declined comment afterward.

The scope of the penalties could be worse but for an eight-year statute of limitations on doping violations in track and field. Pettigrew also helped the United States win world titles in 1997 and 1999 and was part of a world-record-setting relay team in 1998 — years when he said he took performance-enhancing drugs.

Stephen A. Starks, legal affairs director for the United States Anti-Doping Agency, took notes throughout Pettigrew’s testimony. Travis T. Tygart, chief executive of the agency, said in a telephone interview, “We can’t comment on the testimony, but we will pursue all potential doping violations based on the evidence, and we will continue to work with the federal investigators on this.”

Pettigrew’s admission would be considered a “nonanalytical positive” and constitute a violation. Marion Jones, who likewise never failed a drug test, was stripped of five medals from the 2000 Olympics last October after she admitted to taking steroids from September 2000 to July 2001. The International Olympic Committee also stripped the medals of seven of Jones’s teammates in two relay races, but the runners are appealing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Pettigrew’s Olympic relay teammates were Michael Johnson, Angelo Taylor, Jerome Young and the twins Alvin and Calvin Harrison.

The Harrisons have been banned for doping offenses that were not committed in the Olympic year. Young previously lost his gold medal as an alternate in that race and was banned for life for two doping offenses, but his teammates were allowed to keep their medals after the Court of Arbitration for Sport found that Young had not doped during the Olympics and because he had not run in the final.

Young also testified in the Graham trial Thursday. He said he doped from 1999 to 2003. He said Graham gave him drugs and showed him how to inject them.

His testimony adds to the likelihood of the runners losing their medals — and to the shame being heaped on the United States track and field program by widespread doping violations on the eve of another Olympics.

Pettigrew is an assistant track coach at the University of North Carolina. He is a former officer of USA Track & Field’s Athletes Advisory Committee and a former athlete representative to the U.S.O.C.

He testified that he was not truthful with federal agents in February 2005, when he was interviewed as part of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative investigation. Asked why, Pettigrew said, “Things coming out in my past that I did and that I knew was wrong.” He said he told the truth to a grand jury in 2006.

Graham, who also coached Jones, is charged with three felonies, punishable by up to 15 years in prison, for allegedly making false statements to federal investigators in 2004 about a drug supplier. The prosecution rested its case Thursday afternoon after five athletes testified against Graham.

The defense lawyer, William P. Keane, said he may call only one witness when the trial resumes Tuesday.

A verdict is possible soon after that.

Dr. Larry Bowers, senior managing director of Usada, who also testified against Graham, said in an interview that antidoping programs were making “serious progress” as shown by the results of women’s field events, easily influenced by steroids. He noted those results have declined dramatically over the last 15 years.

If the United States loses the Olympic gold in the men’s 4x400, it would go to Nigeria, which won the silver medal, with Jamaica and the Bahamas moving up. Similarly, the Bahamas, Jamaica and Poland would move up if the United States lost the 2001 world championship medal.

Still on track’s record book is the world-record time of 2 minutes 54.2 seconds in the men’s 4x400-meter relay, set in 1998. Pettigrew and Young ran that race, along with Johnson and Tyree Washington. Pettigrew is the only one of that group to admit to doping before 1998.

Source

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Re: Pettigrew Admits to Doping
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:18:08 PM »
BORN TO DO IT

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 01:06:39 PM »
ah WAITING FUH DEM TO SAY mICHAEL jOHNSON WAS DOPING.....AH HAVE MEH SUSPICIONS!

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 01:45:44 PM »
Ben Johnson, not Barry Bonds, won the Kentucky Derby; Big Brown's trainer gives Winstrol every 15th
Admitting he uses legal anabolic steroids Rick Dutrow stated he administers Winstrol to all his horse, every 15th of the month.

US Triple Crown hopeful Big Brown has received regularly monthly treatments of Winstrol, an anabolic steroid banned in 10 states but not any where Triple Crown horse races are contested.

On Friday, the eve of Kentucky Derby winner Big Brown's attempt to win the second leg of the treble here at the Preakness, the New York Daily News reported that trainer Rick Dutrow administers the steroid to all his horses.

"I give all my horses Winstrol on the 15th of every month," Dutrow told the newspaper. "If (authorities) say I can't use it anymore, I won't."

Winstrol, also known as Stanozolol, is legal in 28 of 38 states with horse racing - including Kentucky, Maryland and New York, where the final race in the triple crown, the Belmont Stakes, will be contested next month.

But the steroid is among four allowed only for therapeutic use in the other 10 states with racing.

Hey, apparently it's all good with the horse racing industry.  Beef up those mares.

Racing Medication and Testing Consortium executive director Scot Waterman told the News that he expects other states to adopt the more limited rules on Winstrol before next year's Triple Crown races.

"We're pretty confident that all of the states will be done with the rule-making process by the end of the year," he said.

Waterman said that should one of Dutrow's horses have been injected Thursday and raced this weekend in one of the 10 states with therapeutic-only rules, it would likely test positive for a banned substance.

"He would probably have a positive," the physician said. "That type of use is what moved us to begin the process we began a couple years ago (of tightening rules on the steroid).

"There was evidence these products were being overused or abused." Big Brown is trying to become the first horse to sweep all three Triple Crown titles in the same year since Affirmed in 1978.

Ben Johnson won a gold medal on Winstrol.  Barry Bonds could not win a triple crown on testosterone, HGH, insulin, T3, and Clomid.  Big Brown just may show that Winstrol is the triple crown drug.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 05:08:54 PM »
http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2008/05/antonio-pettigr.html

Strip the medals and all the records.

As sympathetic as I am towards his innocent (giving them the benefit of the doubt) teammates...hard to argue with this.  This is why Nanceen Perry, Jearl Miles-Clark, Natasha Colander et al...I'm really not very sympathetic to their argument, as sympathetic as I might be to the situation she put them in itself.  The relay is a team event, and the performance of each team member aids in the overall team performance.  If one team member cheated then that invalidates the performance of the entire team...there can be no argument.

As foul as it may be to the innocent parties...there are even more innocent parties (their competitors) whose interest outweigh those of the individuals involved.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 10:11:58 PM »
Michael Johnson KEPT his medal from Sydney in the 4x400 even though Jerome Young admitted to doping....the USA 4x100 women from Sydney have to give their bronzes back.....no way they will now say keep your medals when this man has admitted under oath he doped. No way.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 04:07:25 PM »
Michael Johnson KEPT his medal from Sydney in the 4x400 even though Jerome Young admitted to doping....
eh ???
speechless
and ALL the women lost theirs ::)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 05:29:04 PM »
Lawd this doping thing getting contagious.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 02:22:07 PM »
Michael Johnson KEPT his medal from Sydney in the 4x400 even though Jerome Young admitted to doping....the USA 4x100 women from Sydney have to give their bronzes back.....no way they will now say keep your medals when this man has admitted under oath he doped. No way.

Leh we wait and see... everybody know that the USOC...and for that matter the IOC, is all about politics and Michael Johnson been a sacred cow for many years now.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:34:01 PM »
ah WAITING FUH DEM TO SAY mICHAEL jOHNSON WAS DOPING.....AH HAVE MEH SUSPICIONS!

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!
I always believed that he had an unfair advantage over Ato and Frankie Fredericks in 1996.  And that 200 time!  Whew!  Need I say more?  Yes!  I don't believe Flo Jo's 1988 times were legit either.  No evidence just a hunch!  Too good, too suddenly, and then disappear!  Uh, uh!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 10:15:44 AM »
Gold shoes are not an unfair advantage lol  ;D
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 03:16:24 PM »
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j1B-5kI2EYYLkLhUNvZJjQtX0VYgD90U3DR86

Track coach's defense calls no witnesses

By JOSH DUBOW – 4 hours ago

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Attorneys for track coach Trevor Graham have decided not to call any witnesses in his trial on charges of lying to federal investigators about his relationship to a steroids dealer.

The decision Tuesday sets the stage for closing arguments to begin in a trial stemming from the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative doping scandal.

Graham is accused of lying to investigators who were trying to prove that track star Marion Jones lied to a federal grand jury in 2003 when she denied using steroids. Jones was one of Graham's elite athletes and is now serving a six-month prison sentence.

Well it looks like Mr.Graham is well on his way to jail. The evidence again him is insurmountable.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 03:29:28 PM »

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!
I always believed that he had an unfair advantage over Ato and Frankie Fredericks in 1996.  And that 200 time!  Whew!  Need I say more?  Yes!  I don't believe Flo Jo's 1988 times were legit either.  No evidence just a hunch!  Too good, too suddenly, and then disappear!  Uh, uh!

I wouldn't be surprised if they called his name sometime down the road, but that Atlanta 200m was what you call in track a "Beamonesque" performance. Drugs or no drugs the man was a talent way above the rest. Guys have been busted many a times over the years, and they have never come close to anything he has run, so that alone speaks of talent level of the man, because they all using the same stuff.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 09:53:37 PM »

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!

I wouldn't be surprised if they called his name sometime down the road, but that Atlanta 200m was what you call in track a "Beamonesque" performance. Drugs or no drugs the man was a talent way above the rest. Guys have been busted many a times over the years, and they have never come close to anything he has run, so that alone speaks of talent level of the man, because they all using the same stuff.

f**k he and he talent, if he dope den he ahd unfair advantage...,me eh care if de odders eh good as he...dopers is dopers and dem should get nailed tuh de cross/

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 11:40:04 AM »
Graham found guilty!!
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24877469/
A jury in San Francisco has found track coach Trevor Graham guilty of one count of lying to investigators about his relationship to a steroids dealer. Jurors could not reach a verdict on two other counts.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 12:44:24 PM »
Graham found guilty!!
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24877469/
A jury in San Francisco has found track coach Trevor Graham guilty of one count of lying to investigators about his relationship to a steroids dealer. Jurors could not reach a verdict on two other counts.

Small thing....more symbolic than anything.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 08:58:03 PM »
In d 84 olympics there was a chick wit long nails name Florence Griffith in d 88 olympics there was a chick wit long nails name Florence Griffith-Joyner. There ends d similarities if it wasn't drugs then what was it it certainly wasn't talent. D oman bruk d 200 WC in d semis and then in d final d same nite.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 10:55:52 AM »

There are a suspiciously high number of track athletes who claim to have asthma and apply for therapeutic use exemptions to legally use inhalers and similar medication which do contain drugs such as steroids.
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 11:30:53 AM »

There are a suspiciously high number of track athletes who claim to have asthma and apply for therapeutic use exemptions to legally use inhalers and similar medication which do contain drugs such as steroids.
I thought that was cyclists  ;)
Seriously though, the same is apparently true of them. My understanding though is that the use of the inhalers is to mask the use of other illegal performance enhancers.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

1]; } ?>