May 22, 2024, 05:33:38 AM

Author Topic: Scotland set for Town switch  (Read 3107 times)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Scotland set for Town switch
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:15:21 AM »

Scotland set for Town switch
Tractor Boys agree fee for Latics striker

Skysports.com understands Jason Scotland will become an Ipswich Town player on Monday.

Skysports.com revealed on Friday the Wigan Athletic striker was on Roy Keane's radar with the Tractor Boys boss keen to bolster his attacking options before the end of the month.

And it seems the Championship outfit, who dispatched promotion favourites Middlesbrough on the opening weekend of the season, are set to land the 31-year-old forward after agreeing a £1million fee for the former Swansea City man.

Scotland endured a torrid first season in the Premier League last year after following former Swans boss Roberto Martinez to the DW Stadium.

The Trinidad and Tobago international found the net just twice in 36 appearances for the Latics and Martinez appears ready to part ways with the powerful marksman.

It is thought Scotland, who had one year remaining on his current deal with Wigan, will complete the move to Portman Road in the next 48 hours.

The ex-Dundee United and St Johnstone forward could be available for Ipswich's next fixture against Exeter in the Carling Cup on Tuesday if a deal can be tied up in the coming days.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Scotland set for Town switch
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 08:06:09 AM »
I guess Kerry Baptiste will be staying with JP afterall... 8)
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:37:11 AM »
I guess Kerry Baptiste will be staying with JP afterall... 8)
He wasnt goin anywhere. lol

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 03:36:51 PM »
Hard luck dey Scotty, at least u score a goal in the premier league.....lol
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:47:42 PM »
I starting to feel Roy Keane have a trini baddis outside woman oui...

Well Scotty, go where you needed.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 06:41:40 AM »

Ipswich lead chase for Latics ace

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez has confirmed Ipswich are one of several clubs interested in Trinidad and Tobago striker Jason Scotland.

Scotland has struggled for goals since following Martinez to the DW Stadium from Swansea last summer and managed only one in the Premier League last season.

The 31-year-old had enjoyed a prolific campaign with the Swans in the second tier prior to that and a return to the Championship could now be on the cards.

"It's not the first time that a few clubs have been in for one of our players," Martinez told the Wigan Evening Post. "We'll see what happens.

"It's fair to say there is strong interest there from Ipswich Town, and a few other clubs have also asked us about Jason.

"It's just a case now of sitting down with all the parties and working out what is the best move for Wigan Athletic."

Having already boosted his ranks this summer, Martinez hopes to make further signings before the end of the transfer window and has been assessing a number of players who have been training with Wigan, including former Burnley captain Steven Caldwell - brother of Latics defender Gary - who featured in Sunday's friendly against Dundee United.

"Steven is trying to get his full fitness back and he hasn't played a lot of football this year," Martinez said.

"He had a couple of niggles and needs to play football to get his intensity back.

"You could see how much Steven enjoyed the run-out. He is a talker and a leader and there are not many of his type around.

"We will speak to Steven, and obviously these things boil down to a few things such as numbers.

"We need to carry on assessing Steven as well as Sekou Baradji and the other players we have been looking at.

"Different players, different positions, different situations, but they have all been working well and have fitted well into the group."

teamtalk

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 10:19:44 AM »
Latics accept Scotland bid
skysports.com

Wigan have confirmed they have accepted a bid from Ipswich for striker Jason Scotland.

As revealed by skysports.com last week, Ipswich were lining up a move for the former Swansea hit-man as they look to bolster their attacking options.

Scotland has struggled to make an impact at Wigan, scoring just two goals in 36 games last season and the Latics are ready to let the 31-year-old move on.

Ipswich are believed to have made an offer in the region of £1million for the Trinidad & Tobago international and Wigan have given him permission to hold talks with Town boss Roy Keane.

Keane will be hoping to tie up the move for Scotland so that he is available for this weekend's home clash with Burnley.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 11:42:44 AM »
Ah well Scottie, tough luck. Woulda like to see you get another chance in the EPL this year. But if yuh go and light it up in Ipswich yuh might get another chance.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 12:19:09 PM »
I hope Keane know that Scotty is not a workhorse up front and play to his strengths. KJ to Stoke, Scotty to Ipswich...maybe we might finally see some Trini boys scoring goals again this year.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Martinez: Scotland stay an option
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 06:53:38 AM »
Wigan have revealed two other Championship clubs are interested in Ipswich target Jason Scotland.

Trinidad and Tobago striker Scotland has struggled to make an impact in the Premier League after Latics boss Roberto Martinez brought him to the DW Stadium from his former club Swansea last year.

Wigan have accepted a bid from Ipswich for the 31-year-old which is reported to be around £750,000, representing a loss on the £1.5million the Latics paid for Scotland 12 months ago.

However, Martinez claims two other second tier clubs have also shown an interest in Scotland, and the manager is expecting the striker, who scored just two goals last season, to make a decision on his future in the next 24 hours.

"There has been a bid accepted from Ipswich but another two Championship clubs have asked about Jason," said Martinez.

"Jason will make a decision in the next 24 hours and we will take it from there."
Desire

He added: "It is a situation where it has been quite public the desire to take Jason; we are going to assess it and see what is best for Wigan and Jason.

"As it is, it is a bit in the air, but unless a deal is finalised he will be in the squad (for Saturday's Premier League opener at home to Blackpool).

"Conversations have been happening and they will continue today but they won't go any further than tomorrow.

"Tomorrow, before the big game, we need to know what Jason needs. If he is staying here he will be involved in the squad, if not we will wish him the very best because even though it was a frustrating season in the goalscoring department he played a massive part in our aim of retaining Premier League status.

"We will assess it over the next 24 hours."

www.skysports.com

I have always maintainted that he played well, but just couldnt score........interesting words from Martinez!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

truetrini

Re: Martinez: Scotland stay an option
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 07:15:58 AM »
Keeping him and saying what he is saying is a good way to up the ante on his sale.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 08:13:44 AM »
24 hrs up yet?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 08:12:10 AM »
Wigan put Scotland deal on hold.
TWTD.co.uk.

Town’s move for Wigan striker Jason Scotland is on hold while the Latics secure his replacement, according to reports in Lancashire.

Over the weekend, Blues boss Roy Keane said he was hopeful of signing Scotland in time for Saturday’s game at Crystal Palace.

However, Wigan manager Roberto Martinez is said to want to secure a replacement for Scotland before he’ll allow him to move on with Chelsea’s Franco di Santo a loan target.

The Latics face Chelsea at the weekend, so the Argentinian wouldn’t be able to play for Martinez’s side until the following week.

The Latics boss is also concerned about Victor Moses, who suffered an injury in the 4-0 weekend mauling by Blackpool.

Wigan confirmed that they had accepted an offer believed to be £750,000 from the Blues last week with the player subsequently holding talks with Town.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 08:29:58 AM »
Martinez strikes me as a fair dude ... but let's face it despite him understanding the value of Scotty's play just like TT the man was bought to score goals and simply did not   :(.
With TT touches for days no goals .. nada.
The championship might be the level he needs to be at.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 08:54:12 PM »
I still think Rodallega will be the one to leave. Scotty gna get his chance and take it. But sadly it wont be at Chelsea this weekend.  ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jason joins Ipswich Town
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 06:06:34 AM »
Jason joins Ipswich Town
itfc.co.uk

Ipswich Town have signed Jason Scotland from Wigan for an undisclosed fee.

The 31-year-old Trinidad and Tobago international put pen to paper on a two year contract this morning and could make his debut for Blues in Tuesday's Carling Cup second round tie at Crewe.

Jason made his bow in League football in Scotland with Dundee United in 2003 and spent two years at Tannadice before moving to St Johnstone where he had an outstanding record of 33 goals in 66 League games.

He joined Swansea in the summer of 2007 and his 24 League goals played a significant part in helping the club to the League One title.

Jason followed that up with another 20 plus goal return in the Championship in 2008/09 and when Roberto Martinez moved from the Liberty Stadium to Wigan as manager in the summer of 2009, Jason became one of his first signings, joining the Latics in a £2m move.

He made 32 appearances for Wigan in the Premier League before agreeing to join Town.

Capped more than 40 times for Trinidad, his move to Portman Road will see him link up with his international team-mate Carlos Edwards.

"I am delighted to have joined Ipswich Town and look forward to trying to help the Club get into the Premier League," said Jason.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:51:03 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jason eyes Premier return
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 11:48:11 AM »
Jason eyes Premier return
itfc.co.uk

Jason Scotland has targeted a return to the Premier League after joining Town on a two year contract.

The 31-year-old Trinidad international has joined the Club from Wigan and is eager to help take the Blues back into the top flight - and prove he can be a success at that level.

"When I moved up from Swansea to Wigan, people were asking if I could do it in the Premier League," Jason told Player.

"It didn't go as well as I hoped for there. I've not done it at that level but I'm desperate to get back to the Premier League and show I can score goals there. I want to make amends.

"I want to play football week in, week out and I've come to Ipswich to do that and hopefully help the team get into the Premier League."
Boss on Jason capture
itfc.co.uk

Roy Keane has told the Club website that Jason Scotland will offer something different to the other strikers at Portman Road.

The 31-year-old Trinidad international has joined the Club from Wigan in a two year deal and will go straight into the squad for tomorrow's Carling Cup trip to Crewe.

"Jason is a good player and I'm delighted to have him at the club. He will bring us something different," Roy told the Club website.

"He is more of a poacher than the other strikers we have here, who do a lot of work down the channels.

"We are always going on to our front players about being in and around the six yard box and Jason will do that.

"He has proved he can score goals at this level but we have to be patient with him and give him time to settle in."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 02:03:30 PM »
Congrats to Scotty, regular starts will be very good for him.

1]; } ?>