May 16, 2024, 04:51:04 AM

Author Topic: 1990 Attempted Coup Commission of Enquiry  (Read 25861 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 1990 Attempted Coup Commission of Enquiry
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 10:18:33 AM »
Basdeo wants to cross examine ANR
Gail Alexander
http://guardian.co.tt/news/2011/02/08/basdeo-wants-cross-examine-anr

Former prime minister Basdeo Panday is willing to appear before the commission of enquiry into the 1990 attempted coup as long as he gets the opportunity to cross-examine people who have made allegations about him. Panday confirmed his position yesterday. His name was drawn into the issue early in the hearings when former prime minister and president Arthur NR Robinson made various statements about him. Yesterday, Panday said the commission into the events of 1990 had written him about appearing before the team if he wanted to.

He said: “First I’ve already said the effort is a colossal waste of money so on the face of that, I would hardly rush to testify. it would be a contradiction. “But I did let them know that if summoned I’m prepared to give evidence and I would ask them to make available to me for cross examination, persons who have made allegations against me impliedly or expressly.

“I would also suggest in this hearing that people be subjected to a polygraph test to ensure they are speaking the truth in this since a lot of people are giving personal opinion, speaking from sentiment or emotionalism without basis of fact.” Panday added: “It reminds me very much of the Scott Drug  Report proceedings. I hope this commission would not be guilty of the same thing as that was.”  Former prime minister Patrick Manning, with whom the commission also communicated before proceedings began, has indicated he would co-operate, it was confirmed in the T&T Guardian three weeks ago. (GA)
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 10:24:21 AM »
I have to agreee with Raffique Shah... in following this thing I was embarrassed to learn that (at least) one of the Commissioners is a foreigner... and Rawle Rafael carrying on like Sprangalang and all this petty in-fighting coming to the fore.  What a jokey Banana Republic we are revealing ourselves to be... and unfortunately, like Shah say... nothing has changed.  Replace NAR with PP, replace Panday with Jack Warner and is the same jokey story replaying itself all over again.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 10:29:32 AM »
, and my youngest brother was among the Muslimeen "soldiers" who stormed the Red House on July 27, 1990.

really?? wha de ass kinda rebellious harden chirren ole man shah breed dey?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 07:06:18 PM »
Eh guys the inquirie suppoze to have started back on  Feb 21st does anybody know if it started and if it did who is on the stand righ now ? 
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 07:33:02 PM »
Eh guys the inquirie suppoze to have started back on  Feb 21st does anybody know if it started and if it did who is on the stand righ now ? 

Nah March 21st......yuh want dem start back during Carnival??!!  Yuh must be mad or wha??!!   
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 10:11:28 AM »
21 years ago today.. Let us not forget those who died.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wlLUE6qKFyM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wlLUE6qKFyM</a>

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 10:31:14 AM »
21 years ago today.. Let us not forget those who died.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wlLUE6qKFyM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wlLUE6qKFyM</a>

Thank you for the clip dinho.

At a time when the world is in the midst of such tumult and strife, a tiny island republic has had its heartache and suffering twenty-one years ago. I offer my prayers to everyone who experienced the uncertainty and horrors of that day.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 08:13:08 AM »
Everyone,

I am following this with interest and I cannot help but cry, laugh and be amazed at the stupidity of those in charge on both the govt side and the insurrectionists.

The latest is the US airplane that landed in Piarco...the air traffic controller who landed the plane, who had x years of seeing plane and knowing aircraft said it was a ac-130 military plane and it was then refuted by Brown who said no it was a commercial dash 8.

I found the Commission of Enquiry has a website and all the transcripts are available for download

Everybody should bookmark this and read our history

1990 COE.org

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2012, 07:28:10 AM »
 DPP to decide how to deal with Bakr
Jamaat leader continues to defy subpoena
By Ria Taitt Political Editor

Story Created: Sep 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Sep 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT )

THE Director of Public Prosecutions will now have to deal with Yasin Abu Bakr.
Bakr yesterday signalled his intention to continue to defy the subpoena issued by the Commission of Enquiry into the 1990 coup attempt mandating him to appear before it to give evidence into the coup attempt, which he led.
He is not prepared to testify until the sedition trial he is facing in another matter is over.
As a consequence, Commission chairman Sir David Simmons, acting on Section 16 of the Commission of Enquiry Act, referred the matter to the DPP “for such action as he may consider appropriate”.
If charged and convicted Bakr faces a $2,000 fine.
In a reproachful letter, dated September 4 and read to the Commission yesterday, Bakr attacked from all sides, seeking to implicate everybody as he trained his guns on Gaspard, Simmons, Commission counsel Avory Sinanan and Jagdeo Singh, former prime ministers Patrick Manning and Basdeo Panday, and former national security minister Herbert Atwell.
Bakr said he placed no faith in any undertaking given by Gaspard (or any State official).
Gaspard had given a written undertaking that nothing said by Bakr at the Enquiry would be used against him in his subsequent trial for sedition, in an effort to assist the Commission in getting Bakr to give testimony.
But Bakr said, via his letter, that he put no store on anything said by agents of the State and cited a record of broken promises made to him by Government officials, including two prime ministers, over the past 23 years.
“With that track record, do you really expect me to believe anything coming from the mouth of a State official whose purpose is to imprison me for my religious beliefs?” Bakr asked, adding: “Only a child would believe that.”
Included in those issues that the State had reneged on was the assurance given with the amnesty in 1990 that members of the Jamaat would not be prosecuted; the assurance given by two sitting prime ministers that the State would not enforce the civil judgment against him; and an assurance given by a sitting prime minister that the lands at Mucurapo would be regularised (given to the Jamaat).
Bakr said he was being prosecuted for delivering a sermon “which had support in the Holy Quran and the Haddiths...That prosecution is malicious and a shamefaced attempt to punish me for 1990 after the failed attempt to do so”.
Bakr made the “humble suggestion” that “whilst Messrs Manning and Panday are still alive, it might be helpful to ask them both how they knew to be absent (from the Parliament) on July 27, 1990 (at the time of the storming of the Parliament chamber).“And. May I also suggest that you enquire of former government minister Herbert Atwell whilst he is still alive, details of his short-lived interaction with deceased woman Police Constable Bernadette James, and to enquire of him whether he could be of any help in telling her story.”
In his letter, Bakr also upbraided the chairman, saying that he wished to place on record his “absolute horror and disgust” with the treatment given to attorney Hasine Shaikh on Monday.
“I feel it necessary to tell you that you cannot expect respect from young people if you rejoice in treating them with the kind of disrespect you have shown to both Ms Shaikh and Mr Sturge. Whether you choose to show humility and apologise to both lawyers is a matter for you and your Lord,” Bakr stated.
However, Bakr said that when the time comes for him to testify at the Enquiry (after the sedition trial is disposed of), he wants the Commission to pay for a lawyer of his choice as “I have no faith in either Mr Singh or Mr Sinanan”.
“I know nothing of Mr Sinanan and I have read enough about Mr Singh to know that I will never hire him. It would also be helpful if transcripts of the evidence taken so far be made available so that I can address all issues raised,” Bakr stated.
But while Bakr’s letter was full of opinion, questions and innuendo, he was not moved by the “summons for my attendance before your Commission and the accompanying threat of the peril that awaits me for my failure to attend”.
“I would like at the outset to reaffirm my willingness to testify... However, I wish to make the following clear: I have no intention of answering any questions at the Enquiry until I am discharged of the matters before the High Court.”.
Bakr rebuked the Commission for not staying its proceedings and for proceeding to take evidence before his (sedition) trial began, which was detrimental to him.
“If that was not bad enough, during my trial (there was evidence being taken by the Commission) with sensational publicity which could only have served to prejudice me at the time when the jurors were not sequestered. That situation makes me suspicious that you may be much more interested in pursuing your own legitimate agenda and without regard to my right to a fair trial,” he said.
The Commission’s hearings have been adjourned to October 15. Attorney Wayne Sturge told the Commission that it was unlikely that Bakr’s sedition case would be completed by January 2013. This would make it difficult for the Commission to accommodate any testimony from him in time for its proposed March 2013 deadline for hearing evidence and presenting its report.

If Bakr suggesting that Manning and Panday knew about the coup attempt before it happened and if it is true.......
Den dem 2 fellas is traitors and  indirectly resposible for a lot of innocent deaths.
The whole history around these 2 men will have to be rewitten.

It sound like Bakr saying drop the sedition charges and I will tell all.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2013, 10:10:52 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2013-01-30/coup-prober-lists-sir-ellis-reference

A cloud now hangs over the credibility of the commission of enquiry into the 1990 coup attempt, whose latest hearings are set to begin this morning. Among the commissioners expected to sit at the 14th session of the enquiry at the Caribbean Court of Justice, Port-of-Spain, is Dr Hafizool Mohammed.

Last week he admitted to the Sunday Guardian he obtained his doctorate of science (DSc) in international relations from Atlantic International University (AIU), which is described by various Web sites as a diploma mill. He said he knew it was not accredited by US educational institutions.

The commissioners were expected to met at the Hilton Trinidad yesterday evening to discuss the matter. Now further investigations by the T&T Guardian have unearthed more discrepancies in his curriculum vitae (CV). Mohammed claims to have a degree from a prestigious military university in the US, which has never heard of him.

Among the referees he lists on his CV are a dead president of T&T and a non-existent president of Turkey. When the T&T Guardian contacted Mohammed for comment yesterday, he hung up the phone. Mohammed, originally from Dow Village, California, now lives in the US and has US citizenship. He is staying at the Hilton Trinidad.

Who exactly is Mohammed? No one seems to know. Yet a senior member of Cabinet insisted he should be selected as a member of the commission of enquiry into the 1990 coup attempt, which began sitting two years ago. T&T’s first President Sir Ellis Clarke is among the names given as additional references on Mohammed’s CV, even though Sir Ellis died in December 2010 and is listed as deceased.

Clarke’s son, Peter, a director of Guardian Media Ltd, yesterday expressed surprise over his father’s inclusion, saying: “It is shocking someone would use a deceased person as reference.” A cloud now hangs over the credibility of the commission of enquiry into the 1990 coup attempt, whose latest hearings are set to begin this morning.

Among the commissioners expected to sit at the 14th session of the enquiry at the Caribbean Court of Justice, Port-of-Spain, is Dr Hafizool Mohammed. Last week he admitted to the Sunday Guardian he obtained his doctorate of science (DSc) in international relations from Atlantic International University (AIU), which is described by various Web sites as a diploma mill. He said he knew it was not accredited by US educational institutions.

The commissioners were expected to met at the Hilton Trinidad yesterday evening to discuss the matter. Now further investigations by the T&T Guardian have unearthed more discrepancies in his curriculum vitae (CV). Mohammed claims to have a degree from a prestigious military university in the US, which has never heard of him. Among the referees he lists on his CV are a dead president of T&T and a non-existent president of Turkey.

When the T&T Guardian contacted Mohammed for comment yesterday, he hung up the phone. Mohammed, originally from Dow Village, California, now lives in the US and has US citizenship. He is staying at the HIlton Trinidad.
Who exactly is Mohammed? No one seems to know. Yet a senior member of Cabinet insisted he should be selected as a member of the commission of enquiry into the 1990 coup attempt, which began sitting two years ago.

Mohammed’s referees

T&T’s first President Sir Ellis Clarke is among the names given as additional references on Mohammed’s CV, even though Sir Ellis died in December 2010 and is listed as deceased. Clarke’s son, Peter, a director of Guardian Media Ltd, yesterday expressed surprise over his father’s inclusion, saying: “It is shocking someone would use a deceased person as reference.”

As for Ahmet Haluk Ozbuddun, whom Mohammed also listed as deceased and named as the president of Turkey on his CV, Ozbuddun never existed. Since 1923, following the Turkish War of Independence, there have been only 11 heads of state, and the name Ozbuddun is not among them.

Nor was anyone by that name ever the assistant secretary general of the United Nations, as  Mohammed claimed. His CV also lists as referees the chairman of the enquiry, Sir David Simmons, the former Chief Justice of Barbados, and its vice chairman, fellow Barbadian attorney Richard Cheltenham, QC.

Simmons, when contacted at the Hilton Trinidad yesterday, refused to comment on the latest developments. “You expect me to make a comment? I have no comment to make. Good morning and goodbye,” he said curtly. Cheltenham was expected to arrive in T&T from Barbados yesterday evening.

Several government ministers and officials also are listed on Mohammed’s CV. While mixing up the portfolios of the ministers, Mohammed listed as references Minister of Transport Chandresh Sharma, Minister of Foreign Affairs Winston Dookeran and Minister of Public Utilities Nizam Baksh. 

In response to a text message, Sharma said: “I was not aware. In writing from me? Guess anyone can put any name as a reference.” Baksh, however, told the T&T Guardian while he had met Mohammed on two occasions he was unaware he was used as a reference.

Dookeran, T&T Guardian learned, is presently out of the country. T&T’s Ambassador to the United States Dr Neil Parsan, who is also Sharma’s nephew, is also listed along with former Chief of Defence Staff Brig Roland Maundy. Parsan could not be reached for comment yesterday. Maundy told the T&T Guardian he had not been told he was listed as a referee on Mohammed’s CV.

“I met him once in the US but I would think if you are listing someone as a reference you will call. I am glad I got this telephone call,” Maundy said. Not known here The American Military University, where Mohammed claimed in 2011 to have earned a master’s degree in national security studies as a distinguished graduate, has no record of him.

Contacted yesterday to confirm whether Mohammed graduated from the university in 2011, associate registrar Yvette Porter said: “We do not have any such student with that name in our database.” Porter said the other reasons a student’s name might not be listed in the database were changes due to marriage or divorce or misspelling on legal documents.

She added: “We do this all the time. I do about ten searches for the day. Unfortunately, students say they attended the school and they have not. “Based on the information provided, that name, that spelling — that student did not come here.” 

Asked how it was possible that Mohammed’s name was not listed as a graduate, Porter said: “The only reason it would not be in our database is if he was not a student here or he provided a different name.”

Insisting the database gives a thorough record of all past and present students enrolled at the university, Porter added: “I do not know how to say it any differently. No one with that name has ever been a student at this school. No one with the spelling of that name has been a student of this school, ever.”

Most scandalous ever

Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley described the latest development as a “travesty.” He added: “The appointment is in the same vein as former director of the Strategic Services Agency Reshmi Ramnarine. “This Government is consistently appointing people unqualified and unsuitable for positions, against the public interest.

“Who selected this man and what is the connection to the Government?” Rowley asked. Former attorney general Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj said a dead man could not be listed as a reference. “This appointment is going down as the most scandalous ever in the history of T&T.

In fact, it should go down in the Guinness Book of Records because it would be the first time a dead man could recommend someone. Maybe the Cabinet has a special connection in hell or heaven,” Maharaj said.

Senior Counsel Reginald Armour said the Sunday Guardian’s report on the appointment of Mohammed gave rise for concern. "I will be concerned further if the most recent information given, in connection with the information from the American Military University, suggests that his security credentials are now in question, given that I understand that to be an important consideration in his selection to be a tribunal member," Armour said.

:banginghead:
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2013, 10:11:51 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2013-01-28/rowley-ramesh-agree-coup-commissioner-another-%E2%80%98reshmi%E2%80%99-scandal

A senior member of Cabinet insisted that Dr Hafizool Ali Mohammed should be selected as a member of the commission of enquiry into the 1990 coup attempt. Mohammed disclosed to the Sunday Guardian last week that he obtained his doctorate of science degree (DSc) in international relations from Atlantic International University (AIU), which is described by various Web sites as a diploma mill.

The commission’s next public hearings are scheduled to start tomorrow. Engagement adviser to the Prime Minister Lisa Ghany said yesterday that at this point she could not say exactly who had been responsible for vetting Mohammed’s  curriculum vitae. “I need to speak to some members of Cabinet who were involved in the appointment before I can make a comment. I am investigating this matter,” Ghany said.

Communications Minister Jamal Mohammed could not be reached for comment  yesterday. But Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley yesterday expressed outrage, saying that time and time again the actions of Government continued to come into question. The commissioners of an enquiry are chosen by Cabinet.

Rowley said there seemed to be a trend under the People’s Partnership Government that people were being hired in various capacities because they were either the friends or family members of the government. “It is not surprising the way the government continues to operate. They are hiring family and friends to serve in top positions. ”How could a commissioner appointed to serve on an enquiry be exposed in a very embarrassing way, and still has a right to adjudicate on people?

“I have come to the conclusion that statements by government ministers are of no consequence. I do not expect them to do anything else than to defend their position,” Rowley said. Noting that a similar situation occurred with the former director of the Strategic Services Agency Reshmi Ramnarine and former T&T Electricity Commission chairman Omar Khan, Rowley said: “People are resenting the type of governance that they are getting. There are several people serving on boards with questionable qualifications.

“Imagine, someone has been appointed on a commission of  enquiry to examine the conduct of others, and no one did the proper checking. If your conduct is questionable, you cannot examine my conduct.” Telephone calls to Mohammed went unanswered yesterday.

Also commenting on the development yesterday was former attorney general Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj, SC, who said Cabinet had to take full responsibility for the “embarrassing situation.” “Cabinet has a responsibility to ensure that when someone is selected to serve on a commission of enquiry that [they are] are properly vetted, and for the Cabinet to chose someone with a fake doctorate is reckless and negligent.

“It is another incident of a Reshmi Ramnarine.” Maharaj said the situation showed the government was not doing the proper checks on people selected to serve. “This reflects badly on both the Prime Minister and the Attorney General,” Maharaj said.

Ramlogan, when contacted yesterday, said he had no comment.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 05:43:03 AM »
10 to 1 is murder; 12 to 0 is a cutarse. 41-0 would be self-inflicted punishment .

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 06:48:59 AM »
10 to 1 is murder; 12 to 0 is a cutarse. 41-0 would be self-inflicted punishment .

Would Never happen though.

truetrini

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 07:09:39 AM »
all of a sudden big mout anand have nutten to say.   dat in itself speaks volumes

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 11:24:15 AM »

But I only want them 2 win they safe seats. No marginal constituency 4 them.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 11:28:43 AM »

Its very likely to assume...given historical results that those safe seats will remain safe in the future..because there are persons who will not let this and other ridculous things done by this government influence who they vote for. I guess their reason is much more compelling..deep seated and unaffected. What is it? Well..you're guess is as good as mine.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 12:21:18 PM »

Its very likely to assume...given historical results that those safe seats will remain safe in the future..because there are persons who will not let this and other ridculous things done by this government influence who they vote for. I guess their reason is much more compelling..deep seated and unaffected. What is it? Well..you're guess is as good as mine.

RACE RACE RACE. They vote pure RACE.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
Nobody will take any responsibility and it will be forgotten..... unless we don't let that happen.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 03:16:13 PM »

Not true. That does only happen in Tobago.

And along the East West Corridor.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »

Yea my Bad

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 07:40:44 PM »

Central and South, too

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2013, 08:34:11 PM »

Central and South, too

Not Central and South

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2013, 04:45:15 AM »

Dookeran: Hafizool approached me in 2010

AG had final say

Published:

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Anika Gumbs-Sandiford

Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Dookeran during an interview at his office at Tower D, International Waterfront, Port-of-Spain, yesterday. PHOTO: NICOLE DRAYTON

Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Dookeran is the man who suggested Dr Hafizool Mohammed to Cabinet as a member of the commission of enquiry into the 1990 coup attempt. However, even as he admitted to recommending the man whose qualifications to sit as a commissioner are now being contested, the Prime Minister yesterday called on Dookeran to explain his nomination of Mohammed.​

The question of why Mohammed’s curriculum vitae (CV) was not properly vetted remained unanswered yesterday but Dookeran, in an exclusive interview with T&T Guardian at his ministry’s office at Hyatt Regency, Port-of-Spain, said he needed to clear the air on the controversial appointment. Dookeran claimed Mohammed had initially offered his services by e-mail.

“Mr Mohammed made contact with me a few years before the 2010 general election while he (Mohammed) was in Washington DC, and he informed me he had a long career in military in the US as a Trinidad-born citizen. He said he was about to retire shortly and was willing to serve the country,” he said.

Dookeran said he met with Mohammed some time in 2010 and he confirmed he had a career in the US military and had reached a senior position. “I had no reason to believe it was not true,” said Dookeran. “I said fine. When the matter of the commission into the coup came up, I suggested that we needed somebody with a security background.

“I was asked by the AG to submit any name, so I submitted his (Mohammed’s name).” Stressing that he only submitted Mohammed’s name for consideration, Dookeran pointed out that Attorney General Anand Ramlogan was responsible for Mohammed’s eventual selection to the commission.

“I did so on the grounds that he said he had a strong military background,” Dookeran said. “I did not make the decision,” he added. “A commission of enquiry falls under the AG. I am saying I only submitted his name and I forwarded his CV for consideration and it was agreed to. To me, it seemed plausible that a Trinidadian-born who is about to retire was willing to serve. He did not say where but indicated he was willing to serve.”

Admitting he could not recall the references listed on Mohammed’s CV, Dookeran said: “I cannot remember and I cannot find it (CV). It is not too important right now. My concern was his academic qualifications.” Ramlogan later took the recommendation to Cabinet for Mohammed to be appointed a commisioner. The recommendation was accepted some time in 2010. 

Yesterday, Dookeran admitted Mohammed did not tell him his Doctorate of Science (DSc) in international relations came from Atlantic University, which is described by various Web sites as a diploma mill. “No, he did not say so at the time,” Dookeran said. He admitted he called Mohammed yesterday after reading an exclusive T&T Guardian article which raised issues about the latter’s qualifications.   

Asked if he ever attempted to verify the information on Mohammed's CV before the T&T Guardian broke the story, he said:  “What he told me then is what he told me today (yesterday). “When I spoke to him he said his last position was deputy chief of staff in Fort Meade, Maryland. He also said he worked as a consultant at the Pentagon. He confirmed that all military credentials were true.

“The Prime Minister asked if I can verify what Mohammed claimed, given that I submitted his name for consideration. He (Mohammed) told me the same thing again.” Dookeran admitted, however, that he forgot to ask yesterday how come the American Military University had no records of Mohammed in its database.

Mohammed asked for time off from the commission yesterday to deal with the issues arising out of the report, which highlighted his unaccredited DSc degree and the fact that he listed a dead president, Sir Ellis Clarke, and a non-existent president of Turkey, as well as several government ministers on his CV.

Chairman of the commission Sir David Simmons and vice chairman Barbadian attorney Richard Cheltenham also were listed as referees. Mohammed has since retained attorney Martin Anthony George to represent him. Defending his own position, Ramlogan, who is the legal adviser to Cabinet, said Mohammed was appointed because of his claim to have a military training and background.

“Because he was an officer who served in the US Army he was in fact recommended and nominated as a suitable candidate by Minister Dookeran who was the then leader of the Congress of the People.” Ramlogan said he was never made aware of any issues concerning Mohammed's military background.

“It was a critical area that motivated the consideration and no issues were made,” he said. Asked why discrepancies were not picked up when Mohammed's CV was vetted, Ramlogan replied: “Mr Mohammed provided ample and suited evidence by way of certificates from the university that he attended.

“Upon request he provide copies of the certificates that were mentioned on the CV that was supplied to us. Our primary focus was on his military experience and background so the quality of his academic qualifications were not as relevant.” Ramlogan said the chairman of the commission, which continues today with Mohammed, would no doubt discuss the matter and the necessary enquiries would be made to verify the accuracy of what was published.

He added: “When that exercise is completed, if it is that his military experience and training is not confirmed then that will present an issue that has to be addressed. “I am more concerned about the academic issues because his role and purpose was to provide the commission with the views of someone with expertise military background.” 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:52:35 AM by zuluwarrior »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 08:12:45 AM »
He's a PP blue eyed boy who get ketch after the fact. Dooks and dem just trying to cover they backside now.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 08:32:22 AM »
He's a PP blue eyed boy who get ketch after the fact. Dooks and dem just trying to cover they backside now.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2013, 10:11:01 AM »
One thing i like about the LAGOON party they are setting a very high standard ,PNM dont want notting with them.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2013, 10:26:51 AM »
One thing i like about the LAGOON party they are setting a very high standard ,PNM dont want notting with them.

Is not now is long time. I always tell peeps d old PNM u use 2 hear bout Prevatt and O'Hallaran. But after d UNC 1995-2001 was Ganga Singh, Finbar Ganga, d short pants man Carlos, Huggins, bas, Oma and the list go ons.

As for this version of the UNC. Heaven help us.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »

Govt says step down but Hafizool defiant

Asked to step down as commissioner in coup enquiry...

Friday, February 1, 2013

Anika Gumbs-Sandiford

Dr Hafizool Mohammed

The Government has asked Dr Hafizool Mohammed to step down as a member of the commission of enquiry into the 1990 coup attempt, in the light of revelations about his academic qualifications, but he has refused.

The T&T Guardian learned attorneys Jagdeo Singh—who is also one of the attorneys for the commission—and Minister of Justice Christlyn Moore met with Mohammed around 5 pm on Tuesday at the Hilton Trinidad, St Ann’s, in an attempt to convince him to step aside.

The meeting lasted for more than five hours, but Mohammed refused to budge. The Sunday Guardian reported last week that Mohammed obtained his DSc in international relations from Atlantic International University (AIU), which is described by various Web sites as a diploma mill.

Mohammed, who has asked to be excused from the commission to seek legal advice, admitted to obtaining the unaccredited degree because of his age and the flexibility it offered. He is expected to produce several certificates to prove his other qualifications at a press conference scheduled for this afternoon at the chambers of attorney Martin George in the Guardian building, Port-of-Spain.

Cabinet sources yesterday said the explanation he gave for obtaining the DSc and listing a dead T&T president, Sir Ellis Clarke, and a non-existent Turkish one on his CV did not sit well with several ministers. “Things are just not adding up and he was given the option to step down. We are awaiting the response from his lawyers at this time,” a Cabinet source disclosed.

But new information surfacing now suggests even before the revelations about Mohammed’s DSc were made public, a cabinet minister was concerned over the appointment and informed Attorney General Anand Ramlogan.

Asked on Wednesday if any issues had previously been raised about Mohammed’s background, Ramlogan replied, “I was never aware.”

To a question about why the discrepancies in Mohammed’s CV were not picked up, Ramlogan said, “You are assuming that the same CV you have is the one that was supplied to me.”

Asked if he was implying that a different CV was sent to him, Ramlogan said, “I was very careful with my words, and said what was provided on the CV to me was verified.”

Reminded that the American Military University said it had no record of Mohammed being a student there, Ramlogan replied, “I can’t comment on that. If and when that is provided in writing, I presume he will have to answer to that.”

Also causing concern were other claims in Mohammed’s CV, in which he listed a stint as chief administrator of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (Nato) in Turkey between July 1995 and December 1996.
 Nato’s online listing of key personnel from 1951 to the present does not include Mohammed in any senior administrative capacity.

Ministers also expressed concern over Mohammed’s statement that he had been chief of the human resource, plans and policies division at the US Army Special Operations Command at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. While there, he said he participated in operations in Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Somalia, Rwanda, South Korea and Haiti.

The US army asked the T&T Guardian to e-mail its request for verification of the information. A response is expected today.

Both the PM’s security adviser, Gary Griffith, and former junior Minister of National Security, Donna Cox, also said they had no knowledge of the post of senior interoperability analyst for the strategic division and international affairs division of the T&T government, another position Mohammed says he held.

What Mohammed’s CV says

Mohammed is president and CEO of Peosys (www.peosys.us), based in Virginia, in the Washington DC metropolitan area. His wife Rosemin Mohammed is its chief operating officer and vice-president.

The company’s Web site describes it as a “Small Disadvantaged Business, Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Business.”

Dr H Ali Mohammed founded Peosys LLC in 2000, says the Web site, “with the principals (sic) of providing experienced management consulting resources to US federal, state and local governments, non-governmental organisations, private agencies and international governments.”

The company offers “a laser-like full life cycle support including key performance metrics to tailor a solution.”

Among the services it offers are:
 • professional and management development training
 • educational support
 • graphic design
 • data warehousing/custom computer programming
 • computer systems design
 • child care

Mohammed’s entry in Worldwide Who’s Who (http://halimohammed.com) says:
 •“Drawing on his experience as a senior interoperability analyst for the strategic division and international affairs division of the Trinidadian government, Dr Mohammed worked for the US Pentagon...In the coming years, Dr Mohammed intends to expand his business internationally through branding, networking, and consulting.”
 •It says he is affiliated with: the Middle East Institute, the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, the Brookings Institution, Counterinsurgency Center, US Department of Homeland Security, and the VFW.
 (VFW is Veterans of Foreign Wars, an official nonprofit service organisation for US military veterans.)
 •His day-to-day responsibilities include: “Fulfilling a contract with the government of T&T as a commissioner of inquiry; researching the coup in 1990; investigating and providing his findings regarding the events that led to this coup, such as the shortcomings of government agencies.”

•The awards and honours he has received are listed as:
 Legion of Merit; Bronze Star Medal for Combat Heroism; Three-Time Recipient, Defense Meritorious Service Medal; Four-Time Recipient, Meritorious Service Medal; Two-Time Recipient, Joint Service Commendation Medal; Three-Time Recipient, Army Commendation Medal; Two-Time Recipient, Joint Service Achievement Medal; Army Achievement Medal; Good Conduct Medal; National Defense Service Medal with One Bronze Star; Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with One Bronze Star; South West Asia Service Medal with Two Bronze Stars; Korea Service Medal; Armed Forces Service Medal; Humanitarian Service Medal; Armed Forces Reserve Medal; Military Outstanding Voluntary Service Medal; NCO Professional Development Ribbon with Numeric 3; NATO Medal; Saudi Kuwaiti Liberation Medal; Kuwaiti Liberation Medal; Overseas Service Ribbon with Numeric 5; Army Service Ribbon; Parachute Badge; Meritorious Unit Commendation; Two-Time Recipient, Army Superior Unit Award; Joint Meritorious Unit Award; Republic of Korea Army Novice Airborne Badge.

Mohammed’s seven-page CV includes the following positions and assignments, some of which he listed as secret or top secret:
 •Middle East Desk Officer/Senior Interoperability Analyst, HQ, Department of the Army International Affairs and Strategic Planning, the Pentagon (top secret) 2006-11
  —Subject Matter Expert for the MIddle East, (including Asia, Pacific, North America, and Latin America and the Caribbean) (sic)
 •Consultant, Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel & Readiness), Pentagon 2004-5
  —Co-founder for the establishment of the Military Severely Injured Joint Support Operations Center, later referred to as the Wounded Warrior Program
 However, Wikipedia says: “The Wounded Warrior Project was founded in 2002 in Roanoke, Virginia by John Melia with the assistance of family and friends...Besides John, the original founders of WWP included Jim Melia (John’s brother), John F Melia (John’s father), Al Giordano and Steven Nardizzi.”
 • Consultant, US Senate (top secret) 2002
 Drafted nuclear, biological and chemical threat assessment for the US Senate
 • UN representative, Nato, Bosnia, 1997
 —Developed programme to prevent Serbs, Croats and Bosnians from engaging in ethnic cleansing and genocide
 —Prepared federation for its first democratic elections
 • Chief administrator, Nato, Turkey 1995-96
 • Battalion commander, 18th Airborne Personnel and Administration Battalion, Desert Storm, 1991
 —Led 1,200 airborne soldiers

According to his CV, his professional experience includes:
 • “Solid adviser and consultant in the Middle East exclusively” (sic). Mohammed’s clients are listed as: the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Iraq, Egypt, Yemen, Australia, South Korea, Japan, India, Pakistan, Canada, Turkey, Latin America and the Caribbean, Nato, the UN, Dept of Defense.
 • Special adviser and consultant to UN, Nato, Ambassadors, General Officers, Parliaments and Political Leaders
 • International security consultant, United Arab Emirates June 11-present
 • Peosys was contracted with the US Dept of Labor in Info technology and management (secret) Dec 2008-June 2011. The company, according to Mohammed,
 —evaluated data sources and key performance targets using data sets, integration and consistencies with various reporting methods
 —implemented enterprise data warehouse allowing users to access and analyse program data for different programs through a single portal
 —saved hundreds of millions of dollars through efficiency
 A search at www.FedSpending.org  for the period 2000-2012 shows that contracts awarded to Peosys amounted to US$1,003,495 in 2010; US$985,000 in 2009; and US$5,700 in 2008. 

Among the referees Mohammed lists in his CV are:
 • Mustapha Ibraham, Chief Justice of T&T (sic)
 • Dr Neal (sic) Parsan, T&T ambassador to the US
 • Dr the Hon Sir Richard Cheltenham...Chief Justice of Barbados (sic)

Academic achievements:
 Mohammed’s thesis, Law and Politics in Islam, produced as part of his doctorate in international affairs at the unaccredited Atlantic International University, is 70 pages long, including a four-page bibliography and two pages of introduction. Numerous passages of the thesis are taken verbatim and uncredited from online resources that include Wikipedia, Islamopedia Online and whyislam.org

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2013, 09:17:41 AM »

Academic achievements:
 Mohammed’s thesis, Law and Politics in Islam, produced as part of his doctorate in international affairs at the unaccredited Atlantic International University, is 70 pages long, including a four-page bibliography and two pages of introduction. Numerous passages of the thesis are taken verbatim and uncredited from online resources that include Wikipedia, Islamopedia Online and whyislam.org

I'm doing my practicum to complete an MBA now. Any temptation to copy and paste quickly fades away when you consider the inevitable embarrassment that comes with it. What a silly person !

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2013, 09:38:21 AM »
Yeah, Joe Biden is a lucky bastard.

1]; } ?>