May 14, 2024, 12:53:46 AM

Author Topic: eX jUSTICE Volney  (Read 20262 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: eX jUSTICE Volney
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2010, 07:54:28 AM »
while Volney was giving his speech protesters was the most present

yeap and he called for their arrest and jack called them DOGS...I will definitely not be voting UNC come this election...That was probably the man's family..They held candles and stufff..really touching!!!

I doubt it, but Kamla swallow a grenade on this Volney thing....

All yuh tink d electorate so sophisticated.
while Volney was giving his speech protesters was the most present

yeap and he called for their arrest and jack called them DOGS...I will definitely not be voting UNC come this election...That was probably the man's family..They held candles and stufff..really touching!!!

dunno dred. my neighbour is real close to the johnson family. he told my dad he didnt recognise any of them. could be cousins or something if any at all but he said if they were planning on doing something like that they would have told others about it about it so he would have known. he also said they're not very vindictive people so i really think its some PNM BS.

So if it was Johnson family it woulda b aceptable but if d ave Joe who maybe pissed by Volney have 2 b PNM BS

you saw the footage and the reporter trying to get an interview? if u did, u would know that this was not for brad boyce but a political ploy.

All my news on d election on d GD pg so no me eh c d protest but nuff peeps upset bout Volney so I will not assume dat dey get money 2 protest.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2010, 10:47:01 AM »
Anybody have a video? Cuz..i all de reports i hearing..reading...etc...saying that the protesters were silent. Which opening my mind to the question..wha purpose they were trying to serve? And..if they didnt allow themselves to be interviewed...and they were met with immediate censure by those on the platform....(who were able to give exact numbers of how many protesters there were)...it makes me wonder.

Or probably i over cynical.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »
Real theatre was on last night with volney before the protesters came through.

And to think I was supposed to stop and pick up a bag of popcorn last night...the entertainment level was at its max last night!!  I say Volney was a closet politician all this time.... :devil: ;D

brownie..heard your tex loud & clear on i95 :beermug:

:beermug:   ;)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2010, 02:39:33 PM »
THat man relll creepy boii...He have a heavyness about him I find...Right after his speech, they start playing Singing Sandra's "Voices from the ghetto"..Doesn't that song make a direct reference to Brad Boyce?...Rell pappyshow campaign is like these ppl aren't thinking...Kamla had it in her grasps and it slowly but surely slipping from her..!!!

AirMan

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
Volney attacks Jeremie
‘He tried to undermine judiciary’s independence’
Alicia Llanos
Published: 4 May 2010

Alicia Llanos
In his first appearance on a political platform retired High Court judge Herbert Volney last night accused Attorney General John Jeremie of trying to undermine the independence of the Judiciary. A fiery Volney said he had to leave the Judiciary to fight for its independence. Volney, speaking during a UNC political meeting in St Joseph last night, said he was moved by the holy spirit. Speaking after him Movement for Social Change candidate for Pointe-a-Pierre Errol McLeod described Volney as “a hoodlum minister.”

During his speech, a number of people appeared in the crowd holding placards questioning his credibility. The former judge said they were Cepep workers who were paid by the PNM. “Let them do it. If they don’t they will be fired,” he said.
Volney added: “That is the PNM way of dealing with it. They can’t deal with the fire from Volney... because I speak with the holy spirit.” He claimed Jeremie was having State attorneys “burn the midnight oil” for the last three days to make out a case that he was still a judge and therefore could not be a candidate for the May 24 general election
Continue http://guardian.co.tt/news/politics/2010/05/04/volney-attacks-jeremie

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2010, 03:12:26 PM »
I was unfamiliar with the Brad Boyce incident... removed as I am from the circus that is often life in Trinidad.  Having read the accounts of Volney's ruling it is amazing to me that this man escaped sanction for his actions.  Any place else and he would have been disrobed and stamping papers as a paralegal.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2010, 03:32:41 PM »
I was unfamiliar with the Brad Boyce incident... removed as I am from the circus that is often life in Trinidad.  Having read the accounts of Volney's ruling it is amazing to me that this man escaped sanction for his actions.  Any place else and he would have been disrobed and stamping papers as a paralegal.
The furthest this layperson would go is to say that the decision was an act of judicial activism. Do they where do they disrobe you for that?
Live large and prosper!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2010, 05:13:54 PM »
The furthest this layperson would go is to say that the decision was an act of judicial activism. Do they where do they disrobe you for that?

Nah... dai'z not judicial activism.

Judicial activism in the most cynical sense (how critics would characterize it) is using the bench to create law where there is no basis for it in the nation's charter.  A more balanced interpretation would be that the judge isn't creating laws per se, but rather interpreting the existing laws in a contemporary context so as to stay current with evolving societal mores.  For example, the US case of Plessy vs. Ferguson (1896) upheld segregation, stating that blacks were not discriminated against provided that 'separate but equal' facilities were provided for them so that they wouldn't comingle with whites.  Nearly 60 yrs later the Supreme Court overruled itself in Brown vs. Board of Ed. of Topeka (1954), essentially saying that changing societal values no longer found segregation acceptable, that the mere fact that you're forcing blacks to live separate lives is itself discriminatory.  Critics (also known as 'strict constructionists') would call that a case of judicial activism... which is nonsense, of course.

What Volney did was to disregard his role as arbiter in the matter and step himself into the fray compromising the deliberations.  In Civil Law jurisdictions (Germany, Japan, Italy) the judge has an active role, driving the proceedings, calling witnesses, investigating facts and applying the law. In Common Law jurisdictions (TnT, the UK and US) the role of the judge is to hear the facts, listen to the arguments and apply the law.  A judge under such a system cannot undertake to call his own witnesses (as Volney did in calling his own forensic pathologist), conduct his own investigation into the qualifications of an expert witness, or essentially become part of the defense team by discrediting the prosecution's witness.  Needless to say his interference compromised the outcome of the trial long before the directed verdict was ordered.

Frankly, I surprised Karl didn't say something... the integrity of the proceedings demanded it.  Plus had Volney simply interfered as he did with Des Vignes w/o the directed verdict instruction... and then the jury still found Boyce guilty, that would have been grounds for a mistrial for the defendant.

The impartiality of the judiciary should never be brought into question... except in the Mickey Mouse world that passes for Trinidad.  That is precisely what Volney did by his actions.  Anywhere else and he wouldn't have been disbarred from practicing but he woulda loss he big wuk as ah judge.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 05:18:15 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »
well des vignes and volney wud have ample time to catch up as both are members in d coalition

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2010, 05:58:50 PM »
well des vignes and volney wud have ample time to catch up as both are members in d coalition

All is 4given I am sure Manning is now d enemy.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2010, 07:22:39 PM »
Bakes dais the thing that was so frigtening about the Volney - Brad Boyce issue.  HE instruct the jury to return a guilty verdict after all his shenanigans. 
This has been reopened and laid bare again like the nasty festering sore it has and always will be.

And I agree with you, apparently judges and magistrates do not get sanctioned for anything in this country....shame, shame, shame!!...

Ah hearing ah talk that is Carlos John was the friend who is a "patriot" that recommended him to the UNC....is only an allegation at this point though soooooo....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2010, 07:47:58 PM »
Bakes dais the thing that was so frigtening about the Volney - Brad Boyce issue.  HE instruct the jury to return a guilty verdict after all his shenanigans. 
This has been reopened and laid bare again like the nasty festering sore it has and always will be.

And I agree with you, apparently judges and magistrates do not get sanctioned for anything in this country....shame, shame, shame!!...

Ah hearing ah talk that is Carlos John was the friend who is a "patriot" that recommended him to the UNC....is only an allegation at this point though soooooo....

There's nothing really unusual about that instruction itself to be honest, if a judge thinks as a matter of law that no reasonable jury could find a defendant guilty he can instruct the jury to return a directed verdict.  A judge can even go one step further and overturn a jury verdict in rare instances... called judgment n.o.v. (or judgment notwithstanding the verdict).  What made his behavior aberrant was the degree of involvement in the proceedings, I honestly don't know what he was thinking... or how he justified his actions to his peers afterwards.  'Cause you know somebody musta ask him about that.

truetrini

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2010, 09:19:52 PM »
Actually what was more aberrant was the fact he instructed the JURY to return a verdict of NOT guilty! Brownsugar yuh wrong on dat!  Volney free de man after he kill Johnson!

It was in Karl's best interest to say nutten as he was defending Brad Boyce.

The real sinister thing about this was that when the DPP appealed the case, Sharma and the rest ah the now UNCOP supporters on the T&T high court ruled in favor of Volney saying the a part of the law was constitutional ( Section 65 of the Supreme Court of Judicature Act).

Volney say that De Vignes was NOT qualified to be a pathologist based on ah Indian doctor's testimony.  He den day there was no evidence on what caused the death of Jason Johnson.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:26:37 PM by Trinity Cross »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2010, 09:26:16 PM »
Actually what was more aberrant was the fact he instructed the JURY toreturn a verdict of NOT guilty!
What's the point of a jury anyway right.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2010, 10:48:20 PM »
DAT SAID...when Patrick and dem did have Sharma jumping, and Panday in jail nobody cry interference..do so doh like so..

........ah was thinking that same thing, ah feel Patos realise we does forget quickly....Patos' move (re Sharma) to me was direct judicial interference so he cyar be throwing stone in a glass house now.......

I just remember why I eh have no choice this election......*sigh*

u forget Abu Bakr or what? :rotfl:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2010, 10:59:02 PM »
Actually what was more aberrant was the fact he instructed the JURY to return a verdict of NOT guilty! Brownsugar yuh wrong on dat!  Volney free de man after he kill Johnson!

It was in Karl's best interest to say nutten as he was defending Brad Boyce.

The real sinister thing about this was that when the DPP appealed the case, Sharma and the rest ah the now UNCOP supporters on the T&T high court ruled in favor of Volney saying the a part of the law was constitutional ( Section 65 of the Supreme Court of Judicature Act).

Volney say that De Vignes was NOT qualified to be a pathologist based on ah Indian doctor's testimony.  He den day there was no evidence on what caused the death of Jason Johnson.

You totally misread my point... I understand clearly what Brownsugar meant.  Again... there is nothing at all aberrant about an instruction for a directed verdict.  A directed verdict today in the US is called Judgment As a Matter of Law (JMOL). Again take a look at what I said

if a judge thinks as a matter of law that no reasonable jury could find a defendant guilty he can instruct the jury to return a directed verdict.

Therefore, if as a matter of law he doesn't think the prosecution's evidence supports a conviction he can instruct to jury to return a directed verdict.  A 'directed verdict' can only be issued for aquittal... no judge cannot instruct a jury to return a guilty verdict).

You also missed my point about Karl... yes he wants his client to be acquitted, but Volney's actions were so egregious that they threatened any outcome in the matter, guilt or innocence.  Staying quiet in the hopes of an acquittal won as the result of a tainted trial is a fool's errand.  You should note that the only thing preventing a retrial was the passage of time as the Privy Council rightly noted.

---------------------------

Jah Gol... the jury is there to decide issues relating to fact not law.  Matters of law are the exclusive purview of the judge.  Therefore in the case of a directed verdict (at least here in the states) a judge will always preface his instruction with the incantation "as a matter of law, there is insufficient evidence upon which to find this defendant..."

So he's not usurping the Jury's powers, rather he's asserting his in that instance.  The matter if taken up on appeal then becomes a question for the Appellate tribunal to decide wheter he abused his discretion.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 11:05:10 PM by Bake n Shark »

AirMan

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »

Source: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161652575

WHY I FREED BRAD BOYCE
Volney: I cannot be blamed
Ria Taitt Political Editor
Wednesday, May 5th 2010

UNITED NATIONAL CONGRESS (COP) St Joseph candidate Herbert Volney, a former High Court judge, yesterday defended his 1998 judgment which led to the freeing of Brad Boyce, saying that if people knew the facts of that case, they would understand why he ruled the way he did.

The Brad Boyce case, in which Volney in 1998 directed a nine-member jury to return a not guilty verdict in favour of Boyce, who was on trial for unlawfully killing Jason Johnson, was resurrected when a small group of protestors stormed the UNC meeting at St Joseph on Monday night during Volney’s address.

Speaking to the Express in a telephone interview yesterday, Volney said:

’People should read my judgment and they would quite well understand why I ruled as I had. Most people don’t recall the facts of the Brad Boyce trial. It was a case of mismanagement and a matter of intervening cause of death-broncho pneumonia, he said.

’The person (Johnson) died from something totally unrelated to the initial injury. And the onus was on the State..to negate that, that intervening event was not the substantial cause of death. The State had failed to do so,’ he added.

DEFENDS JUDGMENT: Herbert Volney

’The guy (Johnson) died not from the injuries sustained (from the blow from Boyce) but from broncho-pneumonia, (which came) because the nurses put a feeding tube down into his lungs and because of all the food that went down into his lungs. They placed him on a ventilator and the ventilator malfunctioned. And the State had to prove that it was not medical negligence on the part of the San Fernando Hospital that had been the substantial cause of death. And the State failed to do so. So I upheld the submission of no case. People don’t seem to understand the law. They just see the result and they conclude ’travesty’ (of justice).

He stated further that his decision in this case was reviewed by the Court of Appeal. The State lost its appeal against his decision and they (Court of Appeal) did not order a retrial, he noted. The State appealed again to the Privy Council which did not order a retrial, Volney said. ’The system has three layers and I was just the first. I can’t be blamed for the eventual so-called travesty of justice. There are two courts of review after me. Why don’t they (the protestors and his detractors) blame the other courts including the Court of Appeal in which three judges reviewed my decision? Why don’t they blame them? Why didn’t they order a retrial? Why don’t they blame the Privy Council for not ordering a retrial? Why are they only training their guns on me and not at the Court of Appeal or the Privy Council? They want to blame me because it is expedient to them to blame me,’ Volney stated.

The Privy Council did not order a retrial because of the nine-year lapse of time since the incident occurred. -See box

He added: ’Our system is three strikes. Three strikes! Not one’.

Volney also responded to concerns about his discussing the Naraynsingh case on the political platform. ’That matter was dead. It is finished, out of the court system. I happened to know what happened behind the scenes, because it was quite clear from the evidence. And I am quite capable of commenting on the evidence because the matter is at an end. It is not sub judice,’ Volney said.

However Volney, who gave a very fiery address on Monday night, said that the rhetoric of his first political speech would not be reproduced in his subsequent addresses on the platform. ’The rhetoric of that first meeting is not going to be the way I shall be speaking hereinafter. I am going to be dealing with issues of crime and law and order’.

On his statements on Attorney General John Jeremie, Volney said: ’Mr Jeremie is a former senator, he would be out of Parliament momentarily. I don’t care to comment on him. I have said what I had to. He is not worth my effort. I would be talking on the platform on crime, good governance of the criminal justice system and public order.

Asked about his rubber snake which he so dramatically pulled out and which looked so real, he laughed and said it belonged to his six-year-old son.

On the protestors, Volney said the Opposition intelligence indicated that the protestors were mobilised and gathered at the PNM St Joseph office.

He said should a similar situation reoccur he believes that the police would be better able to deal with the situation than they did on Monday night. ’I think that the police did not know the election law and they felt that they could not have acted as they ought to have. But what happened there- is conduct that is likely to result in a breach of peace. Because it almost come to that,’ he said.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2010, 11:38:04 PM »
So if all dem reasons are the reason he instruct de jury to return a not guilty verdict....den...why dis happen?

http://www.trinidadandtobagonews.com/forum/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/3447
The Privy Council Tells Justice Herbert Volney his Ruling was Wrong in the Brad Boyce Trial

The Privy Council has ruled that High Court Judge Herbert Volney was wrong when he told a jury to return a not guilty verdict in the Brad Boyce trial seven years ago.

But despite the ruling Brad Boyce will not be rearrested.

The ruling was handed down by the Privy Council this morning and it comes after this country’s Director of Public Prosecution appealed Justice Volney’s decision to free Brad Boyce.

Oh and to answer Volney's question (as if he didnt know)

The Privy Council says he must remain free because too much time had passed since the incident and much of the eyewitness testimony would now be unreliable.

I go dig and see if i find de actual documents from de Privy Council ruling. Since like dey believe people dotish and cyar think critically.

I know i did read it somewhere. Sammy did post it up.

http://www.privy-council.org.uk/files/other/The%20state%20v.%20Brad%20Boyce.final-rtf.rtf

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 11:50:19 PM by Bourbon »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2010, 11:48:56 PM »
The more Volney speaks the more sinister his pronouncements.  The Privy Council didn't order a retrial not because yuh initial ruling was correct yuh shameless bastard... but because too much time had passed such as to make the eyewitness statements no longer reliable (imagine having to testify to something you saw 9-10 yrs ago).  Not sure why the reporter didn't call him on that.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2010, 11:50:07 PM »
So if all dem reasons are the reason he instruct de jury to return a not guilty verdict....den...why dis happen?

http://www.trinidadandtobagonews.com/forum/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/3447
The Privy Council Tells Justice Herbert Volney his Ruling was Wrong in the Brad Boyce Trial

The Privy Council has ruled that High Court Judge Herbert Volney was wrong when he told a jury to return a not guilty verdict in the Brad Boyce trial seven years ago.

But despite the ruling Brad Boyce will not be rearrested.

The ruling was handed down by the Privy Council this morning and it comes after this country’s Director of Public Prosecution appealed Justice Volney’s decision to free Brad Boyce.

Oh and to answer Volney's question (as if he didnt know)

The Privy Council says he must remain free because too much time had passed since the incident and much of the eyewitness testimony would now be unreliable.

I go dig and see if i find de actual documents from de Privy Council ruling. Since like dey believe people dotish and cyar think critically.

OF COURSE WE DOTISH

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2010, 04:01:20 AM »

Nah... dai'z not judicial activism.

Judicial activism in the most cynical sense (how critics would characterize it) is using the bench to create law where there is no basis for it in the nation's charter.  A more balanced interpretation would be that the judge isn't creating laws per se, but rather interpreting the existing laws in a contemporary context so as to stay current with evolving societal mores.  For example, the US case of Plessy vs. Ferguson (1896) upheld segregation, stating that blacks were not discriminated against provided that 'separate but equal' facilities were provided for them so that they wouldn't comingle with whites.  Nearly 60 yrs later the Supreme Court overruled itself in Brown vs. Board of Ed. of Topeka (1954), essentially saying that changing societal values no longer found segregation acceptable, that the mere fact that you're forcing blacks to live separate lives is itself discriminatory.  Critics (also known as 'strict constructionists') would call that a case of judicial activism... which is nonsense, of course.

What Volney did was to disregard his role as arbiter in the matter and step himself into the fray compromising the deliberations.  In Civil Law jurisdictions (Germany, Japan, Italy) the judge has an active role, driving the proceedings, calling witnesses, investigating facts and applying the law. In Common Law jurisdictions (TnT, the UK and US) the role of the judge is to hear the facts, listen to the arguments and apply the law.  A judge under such a system cannot undertake to call his own witnesses (as Volney did in calling his own forensic pathologist), conduct his own investigation into the qualifications of an expert witness, or essentially become part of the defense team by discrediting the prosecution's witness.  Needless to say his interference compromised the outcome of the trial long before the directed verdict was ordered.

Frankly, I surprised Karl didn't say something... the integrity of the proceedings demanded it.  Plus had Volney simply interfered as he did with Des Vignes w/o the directed verdict instruction... and then the jury still found Boyce guilty, that would have been grounds for a mistrial for the defendant.

The impartiality of the judiciary should never be brought into question... except in the Mickey Mouse world that passes for Trinidad.  That is precisely what Volney did by his actions.  Anywhere else and he wouldn't have been disbarred from practicing but he woulda loss he big wuk as ah judge.
Again, I'm just a layperson who has never ever been in a courtroom. My observation is that your position has softened a bit - from disrobing him to maybe losing his wuk. The law and its application often times appear very subjective. How else could the divisions in the US supreme Court be explained?
Is the Dred Scott decision still a principle in US law?
Live large and prosper!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2010, 04:15:37 AM »
anyone has the info on the court of appeal's judgement on volneys judgement?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2010, 04:38:01 AM »
http://guardian.co.tt/news/crime/2010/05/05/mom-still-feels-pain-after-11-years

Mom still feels the pain after 11 years

Nancy Johnson sat in her Diego Martin apartment yesterday and shed a soft tear for her dead son Jason. It’s been more than 11 years now, but the mother’s pain never goes away. In fact, the hurt was further awakened this week, not just because of Mother’s Day on Sunday. In a dramatic move, family members, sympathisers and friends took the matter to the political circuit. They placarded a United National Congress (UNC) election campaign meeting in St Joseph, at which candidate Herbert Volney was a featured speaker. Volney, as a High Court judge, had presided over the legal trial a decade ago, at which young Brad Boyce faced a manslaughter charge. Boyce was eventually freed of the charge. In an interview at her Diego Martin Main Road apartment, Johnson said she would not like to see St Joseph constituents place a red finger for Volney.

“No, no, no. That is the judge who freed the person with respect to my son’s death,” she said. An emotional Johnson said: “It was just like yesterday to me. We are anti-Volney. I am tired. It was election time when my son was alive. I visited them and voted UNC. I am seeking compensation for my son’s death,” she said in a raspy voice. Jason was a waiter at a casino in Woodbrook, when he was struck on the head on September 1, 1998. The incident occurred outside the Edge nightclub at Long Circular Mall. He died on September 16, at San Fernando General Hospital. Boyce was said to have told Johnson he and his friends were banned from entering the club.

Boyce, 21, of Bel Air Gardens, La Romaine, was later acquitted by Justice Volney at Port-of-Spain Assizes for the unlawful killing of Johnson. Boyce is now residing abroad. Volney was speaking Monday night at George Earle Park, St Joseph, when a number of placard bearers protested close to the platform. Protesters included Stephen Johnson, brother of slain Jason Johnson. The urn with her son’s ashes was yesterday placed on the dining room table. A placard read: “Remember Brad Boyce? Remember the victim Jason Johnson—Volney Must Answer,” stood tall against a wall on top a buffet. Nancy, small in stature and dressed all in black, yesterday was the picture of hurt, mere days before Mother’s Day. Her brown eyes were void of emotion as she took a drink of her rum and pear drink and took a pull on a cigarette.

“I have to drink to sleep and take a smoke,” Johnson said. She said she will not join her son Stephen and protest against Volney. “Brad Boyce mash up my family...We separated after that,” she said. “My children did not want to go to school, although they had passes. I am not a person to do harm to anybody. He didn’t spend one night in jail. He was in the infirmary for the entire time.” Tears came to her eyes as she kissed a cross around her neck. She said in a low voice: “God can forgive. I can forgive him, but I can never forget.” Stephen said he did not orchestrate the protest. “Two friends told me we were going to protest my brother’s death,” he said. “All I know is I walked straight into a UNC meeting. I try to put my brother’s death behind me but it is still there.” He said he had his head bowed throughout the protest
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2010, 04:40:50 AM »
Poor CEPEP, just now they go get blame for earthquakes too
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2010, 04:55:45 AM »

oooopppsss my bad...is not guilty I meant to say....

On another but related note, I thought of Jason Johnson's mother and relatives the other day (to be honest I couldn't even remember the victims name until now, all I remember was Brad Boyce). 

It must be difficult to have never had justice but to have that kinda pain to deal with all over again cyar be easy...lord aye, what the hell Kamla thinking??!!....in fact, she thinking at all??....steups!!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 05:09:28 AM by Brownsugar »
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2010, 05:15:53 AM »
Again, I'm just a layperson who has never ever been in a courtroom. My observation is that your position has softened a bit - from disrobing him to maybe losing his wuk. The law and its application often times appear very subjective. How else could the divisions in the US supreme Court be explained?
Is the Dred Scott decision still a principle in US law?

Fella... my position hasn't been softened at all, what yuh think being "disrobed" means?  Literally it means he loses his judge's robe, aka he loses his job as a judge.  This is why I specifically used "disbarred" the second time because I sensed your confusion.  As for the law being subjective... you can never fully guard against judges being influenced by their own personal opinions, but they're ethically sworn to not do so. 

The "divisions" among the Supreme Court members may indicate their personal biases, but it isn't absolute proof of subjective interpretation by judges.  Reasonable people could objectively look at the same set of facts and interpret it differently.

As for Dred Scott, that hasn't been good law for almost 150 years now...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 05:19:21 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2010, 06:09:24 AM »
Poor CEPEP, just now they go get blame for earthquakes too

Nah d whorish women have dat lock down.

truetrini

« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2010, 06:10:07 AM »
I understood your point, I did not make my clear, sorry.  It was aberrant in MY view as he totally disregarded a qualified opinion and freed a man erroneously.  Then his frens and dem, who now on de same UNCOP platform agreed with his decision, only for the Privy Council to say dey was wrong.

sorry.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2010, 06:37:29 AM »

---------------------------

Jah Gol... the jury is there to decide issues relating to fact not law.  Matters of law are the exclusive purview of the judge.  Therefore in the case of a directed verdict (at least here in the states) a judge will always preface his instruction with the incantation "as a matter of law, there is insufficient evidence upon which to find this defendant..."

So he's not usurping the Jury's powers, rather he's asserting his in that instance.  The matter if taken up on appeal then becomes a question for the Appellate tribunal to decide wheter he abused his discretion.
Thanks for the clarification.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2010, 06:43:51 AM »
I understood your point, I did not make my clear, sorry.  It was aberrant in MY view as he totally disregarded a qualified opinion and freed a man erroneously.  Then his frens and dem, who now on de same UNCOP platform agreed with his decision, only for the Privy Council to say dey was wrong.

sorry.

Still interested in knowing what the court of appeal said, or was they bypassed for the privy council?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

1]; } ?>