May 04, 2024, 01:49:44 AM

Author Topic: Bunji and Nigel different, but the same  (Read 5937 times)

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bunji and Nigel different, but the same
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:36:51 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/entertainment/2012-11-15/bunji-and-nigel-different-same

Differentology is the new, much talked about release by Bunji Garlin (Ian Alvarez) and Nigel Rojas, and astronomy is being credited for this unique single. Both gifted artistes have claimed that the alignment of the stars is responsible for their coming together and success with the song.

“That song is something cosmic, with the stars aligning perfectly.” said Garlin. “It happened because Fay (Fay Ann Lyons-Alvarez) was in class doing her law studies at Kay Beckles and Associates and, having nothing to do, I was liming in the studio with Sheriff (Keiron Thompson). He pulled up an electric guitar and the song happened just like that.

“When we did the song I was trying to figure how to improve the chorus, as I thought it needed a rock feel. Fay suggested Nigel. He just walked in the studio, heard the song, and surprised me by bringing his acoustic guitar. What you hear on the completed track is just one take by Nigel.”

Garlin said that Differentology was produced by Sheriff at Black Ice Studios, on Woodford Street, in Newtown. He added: “They are the guys who did the Wonder Woman rhythm, with Patrice (Roberts), Nadia (Batson), Megan (Waldrond) and others, as well as the Sneaky Guys rhythm with Erphaan (Alves), Jungle, Razor and Mr Renzo and some other guys.”

It’s difficult to define the rhythm and melody of Differentology, a most apt title for a song if ever there was one. Commenting on his work with Garlin and Rojas, Sheriff said: “There is no name for the rhythm...it’s just music, pure and simple.

This music has no genre. The song belongs to Bunji, with no planned remixes and further collaborations. All things are possible, and there might be a remix down the road, perhaps with an artiste from the States. People have suggested it.”

Born in the mid-70s, soca music evolved from calypso, East Indian rhythms and American pop. However, Differentology cannot be defined as any of them. In fact, it’s rhythm is something new and different. Explains Rojas: “Differentology has same DNA as soca, but it is different to the norm. It is a hybrid and it is an evolution, with a sophisticated production.

“This collaboration is certainly different, in every respect. First to begin, I have always been a fan of Bunji. I rate him as a lyrical genius, in the same class with some of the best in the world, like Busta Rhymes and Beenie Man. “It was an incredible honour to work with Bunji. I know we have mutual respect for each other, and this was just the right time for us to get together. The stars lined up perfectly now. From the time I heard the song I knew it would be something special and different.”

Garlin is of the strong view that Trinidadians and Tobagonians need to change their appreciation of soca and calypso. He said: “Our music should never be seasonal. We have confined ourselves to this practice and,  it’s been so long, we’ve gotten into this bad habit and can’t break it. We are the only people on the planet who treats its music this way.”

Asked what fans can expect for the 2013 Carnival “season” Garlin said: “2013 is pure fun. I intend doing some other collaborations, and a CD is already in the works. Six songs have already been released, and we have a few more in the chamber.”

The leader of rock band Orange Sky, Rojas said: “Orange Sky has just returned from ten weeks in England, recording our new album. This one’s gonna be called Horns and Halos. It’s about that perpetual battle between good and bad, a sort of ying and yang, light and darkness. Internationally it be would released in February, and I am also about to release a solo guitar album locally, called Sunset Siesta.”

Eagerly looking forward to C2K13, Rojas said: “I absolutely intend doing more collaborations for C2K13. You will definitely be hearing a lot more of Nigel Rojas in next year’s Carnival.”

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bunji and Nigel different, but the same
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 06:38:14 AM »
This chune really different....it bad!!!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_SoGnkuySFE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_SoGnkuySFE</a>
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:39:25 PM by Socapro »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 02:23:17 PM »
ah feelin dat...it fast but not wile

The guitar and piano real make it different in troot
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 03:04:05 PM »
The tune good...but yuh cant do nuttin to it.

After yuh hear the chorus and the first setta horn...is a kinda anti climax.

Yuh cant jam, yuh cant jump and wave...the tune good for if yuh tired and chipping home.

In party, it strange...it does hype yuh den yuh does just have to wheel it or go to another tune...it gets boring.

They need a road mix or a uptempo kinda thing to have people jamming.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 05:46:46 PM »
The tune good...but yuh cant do nuttin to it.

After yuh hear the chorus and the first setta horn...is a kinda anti climax.

Yuh cant jam, yuh cant jump and wave...the tune good for if yuh tired and chipping home.

In party, it strange...it does hype yuh den yuh does just have to wheel it or go to another tune...it gets boring.

They need a road mix or a uptempo kinda thing to have people jamming.

Bunji Garlin - Differentology (Jouvert Roadmix)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zl1XYcoG14k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zl1XYcoG14k</a>
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 05:53:46 PM »
That is a nice tune. It is not is a road tune per se. But nice for the clubs. I glad they doing some variety, instead of pigeon-hole themselve in jump and wave. If pit-bull had done it we probably would have accepted it. The jouvert mix is the bomb.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 08:05:18 PM »

Garlin is of the strong view that Trinidadians and Tobagonians need to change their appreciation of soca and calypso. He said: “Our music should never be seasonal. We have confined ourselves to this practice and,  it’s been so long, we’ve gotten into this bad habit and can’t break it. We are the only people on the planet who treats its music this way.”

The earlier everybody realise this the better. But if yuh putting out music for a season..only talkin bout jam and wine and all dat..den wha yuh expect? Kaiso started off as story telling..and lost that.

But de tune really unique.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 09:15:10 PM »

The earlier everybody realise this the better. But if yuh putting out music for a season..only talkin bout jam and wine and all dat..den wha yuh expect? Kaiso started off as story telling..and lost that.

:beermug: Yep.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 10:39:27 PM »

Bunji only talking shit... why he releasing he tune now and not in May?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 01:19:48 PM »

Bunji only talking shit... why he releasing he tune now and not in May?
Not exactly! If you want to get rid of the idea of a Soca Season then you release tunes most months of the year once you have quality material and resourses to produce and release songs all year long and I think Bunji has been doing just that this year.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:22:23 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 01:21:27 PM »
So name de big chunes Bunji release out ah "season"... or any chunes for that matter.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »
Don't forget that Bunji's album iSpaniard was released just after T&T Carnival 2012 and contained extra tracks not releasd for T&T Carnival.
Bunji has released all these songs so far this year (and many were not released for T&T Carnival):-

Carnival Is Our Life ft. Beenie Man (released for Ja Carnival 2012)
Going On The Road (released for T&T Carnival 2012)
Roll It [w_ Revelation] (released for T&T Carnival 2012)
iRagga (released after T&T Carnival 2012)
Mash Up (released for T&T Carnival 2012)
Gift Of Soca (released for T&T Carnival 2012)
Shawdy [w Ricardo Drue] (released before T&T Carnival but tune not geared to Carnival)
Alcohol (released for T&T Carnival 2012)
Runaway with Kerwin DuBois (released for T&T Carnival 2012
Go Hard (released for T&T Carnival 2012)
So and So (Island Pop) (released for T&T Carnival 2012)
Cosmic Shift (Island Pop) (released after T&T Carnival 2012)
Bless U (his own production released before T&T Carnival 2012 but not geared to Carnival)
Bam Bam (Redbull Riddim, released for T&T Carnival 2012)
Born Ready (released for T&T Carnival 2012)
Irregular (released before T&T Carnival 2012 but not geared to Carnival)
Tun Up (released for T&T Carnival 2012)
Good Oye (released November 2012)
Differentology (released November 2012)
Send Woman (released November 2012)
Touchless (Stag Riddim, released October 2012)
Catch Me (Island Pop w. Krystal Khayne, released September 2012)
None Like This [Full Throttle Riddim, released August 2012]
Ragga Soca [Dingus Mcgee Riddim, released September 2012]
Doh Break The Bottle (w. Slammer Cutter, released December 2012)

And there are other songs he released this year but can't remember everything. 

Also keep in mind that he has been touring alot and can't do much recording while on tour or I would suspect he would have had time to record and release even more stuff this year! :beermug:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:04:11 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 02:45:40 PM »
I'm not familiar with any of these... which ones were NOT released in conjunction with a carnival (Jamaica, Barbados, Grenada...)?  I don't expect you to know the answer, but by all means share if you do.  Not trying to argue for the sake of argument, but I'm curious to see if his actions support his statements.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »
I've updated each song with the estimated month/time (in brackets and highlighted in red) I first heard it or received it via email and believe it was released.  :beermug:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:06:48 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 06:50:27 PM »
I've updated each song with the estimated month/time (in brackets and highlighted in red) I first heard it or received it via email and believe it was released.  :beermug:

Thanks  :beermug:

Touchless (Stag Riddim, released October 2012)
Catch Me (Island Pop w. Krystal Khayne, released September 2012)
None Like This [Full Throttle Riddim, released August 2012]
Ragga Soca [Dingus Mcgee Riddim, released September 2012]

And there are other songs he released this year but can't remember everything. 

So basically these are the only songs that one could arguably say he released "out of season" then?  I not counting the stuff "not geared to carnival"... because we talking about "soca and calypso"... going back to his original statements.  Unless these are soca/calypso songs not geared to carnival.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 07:03:57 PM »
In reality Carnival is never out of the TT psyche. As soon as TT done, is Carnival almost every  month after in other places  till Miami and back to TT.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »
been preaching that years now...

the only songs i will ever do is pan kaiso now, forget the road, they should use my suggestion i made years ago, "vintage roadmarch" to bring back the music to a certain quality

the song is ok, they need to gear music to billboard, too bad none of them ever write that type of music on a regular
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:43:10 PM by Controversial »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 03:20:26 PM »

all that talk from bunji and he still getting on like a pseudo jamaican living in trini, and where is the strong melody and hooks? its weak in terms of melody and harmony... everything is a riddim, time for that to end, go back to live music and constructing strong melodies and harmonies

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 05:35:04 PM »

all that talk from bunji and he still getting on like a pseudo jamaican living in trini, and where is the strong melody and hooks? its weak in terms of melody and harmony... everything is a riddim, time for that to end, go back to live music and constructing strong melodies and harmonies

In this era, a performer has to be versatile to survive. I never consider Bunji and a host of others, including Machel to be true, true calypsonians.  You can't make a living on calypso alone in this day and age. But you can make a living singing soca only. Again that can get you so far. You will only be known within the WI community. There have been exception. Arrow and Kevin Little were the most successful. You have to be diverse. How come them Spanish guys take the basic calypso/soca beat and created Reggaeton and making tons of money and crossover into main stream media more often than soca artiste.  I listen to Compas, Zouk, Kizomba, Kuduro and these music are not far from soca. Kizomba and Kuduro(from Portuguese Africa) are so similiar to soca , it is amazing. But they do a lot of covers songs of Anglo artistes and they are fantastic.

As for Bunji sounding like a JA. That is his style. I would prefer he sing with his natural Trini dialect, but who the hell is me to require that. Some of his lyrics are catchy, but is the beat that is essential to his success. Successful music nowadays is more beat driven than lyrics.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:10:55 PM by Deeks »

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 03:02:35 AM »

I see your point, especially with the riddim specialists but also I take a different view. I am not a musician, but I believe that artists like Bunji (and many of the young producers) will reflect their early musical influences (which in Trinidad- thanks to Chinese laundry and company) were all Jamaican. It is no different with Sparrow and those guys because they used listen to Frank Sinatra and Rudy Valee and stuff, and their music reflected that. That could be why there was so much emphasis on the ability to "croon." The difference is, the tents provided a place where they could apprentice and learn their craft from older heads...including playing live instruments.

Bunji has his style and is experimenting with things in his own way....his music has changed with time because he has embraced the history of soca/calypso....it just wont be like what was the norm before. Think of it..songs like "Bomb song" and "Licks" is the same social commentary we expect from calypso
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »
I I am not a musician, but I believe that artists like Bunji (and many of the young producers) will reflect their early musical influences (which in Trinidad- thanks to Chinese laundry and company) were all Jamaican. It is no different with Sparrow and those guys because they used listen to Frank Sinatra and Rudy Valee and stuff, and their music reflected that. That could be why there was so much emphasis on the ability to "croon."

Hmm, never thought about it from that angle...plausible enough theory

yeah oui, ah going an blame all de full blown wanna-be Jafakan lifestyle in T&T is a direct result of Laundry and Dr Hyde and dem 20+ years ago.
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2012, 01:54:46 AM »
Everyone, and I mean EVERY SINGLE PERSON that I play DIFFERENTOLOGY for is taken by the tune. The comments are similar. I don't know exactly what it is but I need to have that song. Can you get me a copy?

Most of these people are non West Indians. Descriptions range from world music, to trance, to new age etc.

I get what Touches says. People love de song but when it play in fete it kinda anti climactic. Is NOT traditional party music but rather music that transports you. You listen and it does "something" to you.

This is the most original yet "international" piece of music out of T&T in a very long time. Is it any wonder then that it's confusing to trinis?  Doh get me wrong, trinis love de tune but it doesn't quite "fit" into any particular category so it's kind of dismissed.

Must mean Bunji, Nigel, and the composer must be doing something right.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
My daughter put it to me like this... dad this song gets me hyped! She's a very competitive athlete and according to her this song has the ability to get her "ready". This will be their first time time in Trinbago for carnival and I mentioned to her that it's a pity this song is not really a fete song..she said "but it puts you in the mood to fete".

As with Palos, every non West Indian I play this song to embrace it and have the same reaction (want ah copy). Not over the top high energy, no instructions... just music.

When most complain about jump and wave music, I've embraced it (still eh feeling the kinda techno riddim this yr though) and see it as a transformation of the music. It's refreshing to get something like this which just puts you in the mood.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 09:27:59 AM »
I like the original from the time I hear it. But the jourvert roadmix is IT.  He better put that on a re-release. This tune has a kind of "house" beat. And "house' beat, to me at least, uses a lot of soca riddims. Nothing wrong in that. That has been going on with music from the very beginning of time.  Imagine if we had made it to Brazil, and 30 thousand Trinis wearing Flamengo shirt and we jamming "we ready, we ready, we ready............. WE READY FOR THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 05:31:38 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-37DVQ8Zl58" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-37DVQ8Zl58</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 07:08:32 PM »
i was leaving a function in a hotel last thursday and i see a indian fella pull up banging this tune...i watch him and i say "big tune hoss"...he say "yeah man"...it nice to see countrymen every so often...i does hardly see them in my city

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 07:44:47 PM »
Is de guitar does do it for me.....dat riff in de end wicked!!!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:56:56 PM by Brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »
I like the original from the time I hear it. But the jourvert roadmix is IT.  He better put that on a re-release. This tune has a kind of "house" beat. And "house' beat, to me at least, uses a lot of soca riddims. Nothing wrong in that. That has been going on with music from the very beginning of time.  Imagine if we had made it to Brazil, and 30 thousand Trinis wearing Flamengo shirt and we jamming "we ready, we ready, we ready............. WE READY FOR THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

we could do it at GC  ;D  On de real dat would have been unmatched and truly unbeatable, unparalleld emotions
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 01:40:54 PM »
what alyuh think bout the vid

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/u5g4EsftP8I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/u5g4EsftP8I</a>
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:34:00 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>