May 29, 2024, 02:44:30 AM

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Football / Re: 2026 World Cup Thread
« Last post by Tallman on Yesterday at 07:23:07 PM »
Eve hopes Soca Warriors stay fit for World Cup qualifiers
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

HEAD coach of the Trinidad and Tobago men's senior football team Angus Eve is keeping his fingers crossed that his players will remain fit ahead of the first Fifa World Cup qualifier against Grenada with players lining up for their clubs just days before the qualifier.

T&T will play Grenada at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo on June 5 at 7.30 pm. On June 8, T&T will then play The Bahamas away from home.

A 39-member provisional squad was named on Friday.

Speaking to the T&T Football Association media, Eve said, "These 39 (players) are the ones we think...can give us the best chance to start off on a positive head and try to win these two matches and start off with six points in the qualifiers, one game at a time."

Eve is hoping to start a camp between Saturday and June 3. He said it is difficult to start before as players will be unavailable because of club football.

The head coach is hoping none of his players get injured. Many of the foreign-based players are active, while many of the locally-based players will play in the First Citizens Cup Knockout final between AC Port of Spain and Defence Force on Wednesday at Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo at 8 pm.

Eve said, "Players' safety (is a concern) and all these kinds of things. It is terrible that the window starts on the 3rd (of June) and we have to play on the 5th, so players have to travel on the 3rd, most of the players. On the 1st and 2nd we still have players playing matches outside. We have the locally-based players playing in a final this coming week, a couple days before the game. We still have to look and see who will come through those games unscathed."

A few players have received first-time call-ups including Tyrese Spicer, Dantaye Gilbert and Steffen Yeates.

"Young Spicer has been doing tremendously well for Toronto FC," Eve said. He wanted Spicer and another upcoming player Wayne Fredericks II, who was not named on the squad, to play earlier this year. "We did try to get him and Fredericks for the two Jamaica friendlies (in early March)...but he (Spicer) had an injury at that point in time and also Fredericks had an injury in that time, so we never got them. It is a delight for us to actually have the opportunity to call him (Spicer) up. He has been doing very well for his club."

Speaking about Canadian-based Yeates, Eve said, "We have been behind Steffen Yeates since last October. There were some administrative issues...but we think we are very close (to sorting out his documents), so we wanted to put him in the training squad, so just in case that his documents come through he will be already in the squad. We have really been having good conversations with him."

Eve did not want to call up Netherlands-based Gilbert right away. "We have been following Dantaye...the tricky thing about these things is that when a young player goes to Europe you want him to settle in at his club first before you drag him out of his club. If he stays over there for three, four months and get in the system and get in the training that they have out there...if they could do that quality training in that high-intensity environment then he is going to be better for us when he comes back to the national team."
Football / Re: Dwight Yorke Official Thread
« Last post by Deeks on Yesterday at 06:29:28 PM »
my genuine issue with Yorke is dat he in d earlies at least seemed not to keen on paying his dues in lower leagues, his profile atleast online  reads as woefully unqualified.....Eve CV would hold more water than Dwight

Lefty, maxg, G.O.D, I agree with allyuh
Football / Re: Chris Birchall Thread
« Last post by Deeks on Yesterday at 06:22:34 PM »
Me-Mum, Me-Mum.!!!! :thumbsup: Never forgot the rocket against Bahrain. One of the GREATEST WC goalS.
« Last post by soccerman on Yesterday at 02:42:37 PM »
Good for Chris, we need more ex-pros as officials :beermug:
« Last post by Tallman on Yesterday at 12:03:59 PM »
Chris Birchall took on England's Golden Generation at the 2006 World Cup ... now he's paid £40-a-game as a referee but is determined to reach the top
By Liam McMillen (The Daily Mail)

When Howard Webb became the head of the PGMOL in 2022, he urged ex-players to become 'trailblazers' and turn to refereeing after retirement.

Just sixteen months later, that trailblazer seems to be 2006 World Cup star Chris Birchall, who is picking up the whistle as he aims to become one of only a select few to manoeuvre from playing to officiating.

Birchall has recently completed a refereeing course at the Staffordshire FA, where he was the only ex-player, and he made his debut as the man-in-the-middle for an in-house Port Vale academy game recently.

'I have a lot more respect now for decision-making and how hard it is. It's positioning and knowing where to go so you don't interrupt the play', the 39-year-old tells Mail Sport.

For an entire generation of football-crazy Trinidadians, Birchall is the hero that helped to fire the Caribbean Island nation to its first-ever FIFA World Cup Finals.

The Staffordshire-born midfielder, who was nicknamed 'Me Mum' by the Trinidadian faithful because of his typically Northern response as to why he qualified to play for the nation, rocketed home from 35 yards to equalise for the Caribbean side in their 2006 qualifying play-off first-leg against Bahrain.

The goal helped the Soca Warriors to qualify for the 2006 tournament and play in a group with Sweden and Paraguay, as well as England's golden generation.

Lining up against Gerrard, Lampard and Owen wasn't Birchall's only brush with footballing royalty, as three years later he went on to play alongside, rather than against, David Beckham at LA Galaxy for three years.

On home turf, he would also play in all three football league divisions for his hometown club Port Vale, as well as Coventry City and Brighton.

During his diverse career, thoughts of officiating were bubbling under the surface as he was calling time on his playing career.

'The refereeing was always in the background. I had a lot of respect for refs, and it was something that I thought I could possibly do,' he says.

If the former midfielder climbs the ranks as an official, he'll join just one former notable Football League player to have gone from player to ref.

Only former Huddersfield Town, Bradford City and Chesterfield defender Steve Baines has made the leap from playing to EFL refereeing, and that was thirty years ago.

After a unique career, and one of the more baffling CVs in the game, Birchall looks set to continue down the road less taken, but he understands why footballers don't tend to turn to officiating.

'There's just no financial reward for it at the beginning.' says Birchall, who is currently getting paid £40 a game for his officiating in the Staffordshire area.

'When you're starting out on your journey you would need to have enough money from your playing career, or you'd need a job to go with it.

'For me it's a challenge and if I can be a catalyst for ex-players then that's a step forward.'

Birchall believes that his illustrious playing career, and the dark arts he picked up along the way, can lead to a successful career as the man in charge.

'I know if players are trying to kid the referee. I know what players are doing because I used to do them myself.' laughs Birchall.

'It's just trying to use my experience. I think it's about building that rapport with the players. That's what I want to do. Be humble, have a smile on your face and be a referee that you can relate to, really.'

Officiating wasn't Birchall's first post-retirement goal. He got a degree in Professional Sports Writing & Broadcasting from Staffordshire University in 2016 but has since found that the punditry work has dried up.

'I found it very difficult for opportunities. I was getting bits and bobs here and there for TalkSPORT and Sky Sports News, but it was sparse.

'To make that your living, you need to have an income enough for a full-time job, which it wasn't for me.'

Birchall is, once again, working his way up in the profession and it's a climb he compares to starting out as a footballer.

'It's like being in non-league football. You earn your stripes to then progress.

'For me, it's doing my games, enjoying it, and trying to bring a player knowledge to refereeing.'

After the comedown of retirement, and the difficulties of his punditry career, Birchall has a new lease on life with his movement into refereeing.

'It's come at a good time. I'm hoping the opportunity arises, where if I'm good enough I can progress. It all comes down to ability. I can want it all I want but I must be good enough to do it.'

If he comes anywhere close to emulating his star-studded football career, then he will surely join the exclusive list of people to both play and officiate in the professional game.
« Last post by lefty on Yesterday at 11:09:35 AM »
gawd, even after all these years Dwight still have name recognition, but his constant pining for the MU job  and stuff like what happen with MacArthur only tarnishing dat name, his best asset.......Dwight wanting the MU wuk is becoming a meme at this point and given his aforementioned weak CV...............well
« Last post by gawd on pitch on Yesterday at 09:16:08 AM »
@lefty, I agree. He needs to pay his dues in the lower leagues. Jumping into a premier league coaching role is above his resume now. Again, as a black coach, will he get those opportunities to coach in the premier league after paying his dues? He'll have to prove himself more than the others.

Even getting a coaching job in the championship or the league below that one, may be a challenge to.
Football / Re: Molik Khan Thread
« Last post by maxg on Yesterday at 05:35:23 AM »
But the football look weak, doh. If he comes of the bench here, suspect the opportunity to move up a level might be very limited . Keep working  and learning young man.
« Last post by maxg on Yesterday at 05:26:31 AM »
Dennis Lawrence has the best resume at present. Black ppl have trouble getting any job in every arena, and are held to high standards and accountability than their counterparts, even in their own countries, far less foreign. Get used to it. It’s what makes us stronger, better, faster and smarter.  Totally agree Lefty.  I dig how he walk out the MacArthur gig, oh you not happy. This gentleman life decisions/actions by many indications seem to be the Achilles heel of his football career. He needed a proper advisor at a very young age.  Then again, who am I to knock his successes. He did quite well still. But oh gorm…
« Last post by lefty on May 27, 2024, 07:08:59 PM »
Gawd* I understand all dat, try being black and slightly disabled with no playing career to carry yuh name, my genuine issue with Yorke is dat he in d earlies at least seemed not to keen on paying his dues in lower leagues, his profile atleast online  reads as woefully unqualified.....Eve CV would hold more water than Dwight

Add: Xavi Alonso make history after only previously Coaching 'B' and youth level teams ........DY coulda be further along if he hung his hat a little lower to start.....then carry on from there
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1]; } ?>