May 17, 2024, 01:58:26 PM

Author Topic: Any Runners Out There?  (Read 10776 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Any Runners Out There?
« on: December 09, 2008, 01:00:14 PM »
Forumites,

Any of you run seriously or are part of a running club?

Yours truly take a chain up from the other staff members in the office and I am going to participate in a 5k in January.

I tell mehself it will aid in meh Carnival preparations and help in getting down meh belley.

I am fairly active, I sweat 3-4 times a week and I could run a Savannah with some discomfort without stopping.

Besides running hard everyday and fixing meh diet what other techniques should I do and how should I approach my training to get a decent time and be injury free.

Thanks in advance.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: Any Runners Out There?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 01:02:45 PM »
stretch properly and drink ah malta.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »
Forumites,

Yours truly take a chain up from the other staff members in the office and I am going to participate in a 5k in January.

I tell mehself it will aid in meh Carnival preparations and help in getting down meh belley.

I am fairly active, I sweat 3-4 times a week and I could run a Savannah with some discomfort without stopping.

Besides running hard everyday and fixing meh diet what other techniques should I do and how should I approach my training to get a decent time and be injury free.

Thanks in advance.

What kinda time do you want? If you could do the Savannah you don't need much physical training because a 5K is about 1.5 times that? It would be more about getting into the routine and keeping it if you want to lose weight.

I don't run right now but have in the past and for them short distances it is all about pacing yourself and not getting bored. What I used to do was just run the same course every couple days and go a little further each time. From doing once around the savannah now you should be doing twice in a couple weeks.

And don't take days off. Once yuh find excuses to miss days you will fall out of the habit, keep the routine. A savannah run on a evening used to have some nice eye food.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 01:18:09 PM »
Me eh no kinda runner, but a few years ago ah used tuh run several 12Ks and 5Ks during de year. What used to work for me was running hills, and running on de beach. De ting about de beach is dat after ah while, running on de sand does put some rell pressure on yuh lower back.

Playing football and running long distance is two different ting. I find dat running does help wit yuh football stamina rather than de other way around.

Make sure yuh have ah decent running shoe especially since you have dem bad knee. Doh jes run hard every day. Take it slow at first and gradually increase yuh distance.

I cyar tell yuh nutten about improving yuh times because I never win one ass. De best motivation I ever had in a race was ah fat ting who was giving meh rell thunder. Every time ah pass she and ah look around, she right behind meh. Den she go pass meh, I go pass she and so on. I tell mehself dat I go ah have tuh dead here today before I let she beat meh. Ah beat she, but only barely. Another time it had ah old lady who was power walking, and she leave meh out and me eh see she until after de race. Even ah dog buss meh tail in ah 5K. Imagine de dog had ah runner's number tie rong he neck. Now dat ah type all ah dat, ah realize is bess you eh listen tuh nutten I say.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 01:44:48 PM »
Well I go mix it up and hit a chancellor once a week...Right now Savannah eye food come like Prime Restaurant...only top of the line.

Last night I get some inspiration from a blue shorts and a pony tail....I try keeping up, but I only make the stretch from the Cafe till Jerningham Avenue...I try running full blast and the distance just kept getting wider and wider.

I google some running tips...Is plenty I learn yes...breathing tru yuh mouth in and out ...all this time I using nostril and comfortable...exhaling when yuh right or left foot only hitting the ground, Holding yuh breath and forcing it out when yuh get stitch. It have science to this ting.

Last yr it take me 3 weeks of training to run to the top of chancellor without stopping. I go see how I come along.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 02:13:05 PM »
Doh underestimate the value of a good pair of running shoes.
One of my partners is a serious runner and he keeps track of how much miles he put on his shoes and changes them out @ every 6 months. He was telling me that even though the sneakers look good, the impact from all the running starts to break down the rubber and foam and the support starts to deteriorate and could impact yuh knees.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 02:52:59 PM »
Me eh no kinda runner, but a few years ago ah used tuh run several 12Ks and 5Ks during de year. What used to work for me was running hills, and running on de beach. De ting about de beach is dat after ah while, running on de sand does put some rell pressure on yuh lower back.

Playing football and running long distance is two different ting. I find dat running does help wit yuh football stamina rather than de other way around.

Make sure yuh have ah decent running shoe especially since you have dem bad knee. Doh jes run hard every day. Take it slow at first and gradually increase yuh distance.

I cyar tell yuh nutten about improving yuh times because I never win one ass. De best motivation I ever had in a race was ah fat ting who was giving meh rell thunder. Every time ah pass she and ah look around, she right behind meh. Den she go pass meh, I go pass she and so on. I tell mehself dat I go ah have tuh dead here today before I let she beat meh. Ah beat she, but only barely. Another time it had ah old lady who was power walking, and she leave meh out and me eh see she until after de race. Even ah dog buss meh tail in ah 5K. Imagine de dog had ah runner's number tie rong he neck. Now dat ah type all ah dat, ah realize is bess you eh listen tuh nutten I say.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Well me eh no serious runner but I does do about 3 miles three nights a week.  I usually run between 11 and midnight once I reach home... but is pressure, especially with temps routinely below 40 fahrenheit now (and dropping).

What helps fuh me is the Nike+iPod sensor that helps motivate me a bit by tracking my distance and progress etc.  My times are uploaded to a running community and you can pace and measure yourself against others similarly situated.

Can't underscore as well how important a good pair of running shoes are... I have three that I cycle, but it might be time to pick up another pair soon.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 04:59:43 PM »
Running alone would not help. A balanced diet is just as important. That part is very hard, especially as Christmas approaches.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 05:30:41 PM »
Running alone would not help. A balanced diet is just as important. That part is very hard, especially as Christmas approaches.

Puncha Creme does not only give yuh courage... it does steel yuh against de winter chill... in some cases might even help yuh coordination too  ;D

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 06:00:52 PM »
Bakes,
            Yuh is a real joker, oui!!!!

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 07:43:49 AM »

was she wearing ah walmart vest? See what happens when you lime with certain posters on this site? you start wanting to beat/blaze fat ting.

Good luck with the running thing touches. I training for a dip with the polar bear club this Jan 1.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 08:46:36 AM »

Thanks in advance.

D fuss ting yuh had to do is curb yuh gluttonous and voracious ways.

Stop eating KFC and fix yuh diet, less carbs more protein. Yuh also have to eat foods that promote weight loss, just cutting down on yuh portions alone won't do it.

Next thing to, learn how to run properly. Alot of people, surprisingly doh not know how to run properly. Bad posture, improper stride and bad foot placement will do more harm than good in the long run.

Lastly and most importyant.........STOP JOCKING

Més que un club.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 09:49:19 AM »
what foods promote weight loss?
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »
Stop eating KFC and fix yuh diet, less carbs more protein. Yuh also have to eat foods that promote weight loss, just cutting down on yuh portions alone won't do it.

And don't skip breakfast like I tend to do. Breakfast wakes up your metabolism, so make sure you have a good one every day.

Can't underscore as well how important a good pair of running shoes are... I have three that I cycle, but it might be time to pick up another pair soon.

On the topic of shoes, what brands people recommend? Is it true that Nike and Adidas isn't very good and New Balance and Saucony are a cut above?  :beermug:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 10:58:52 AM »
i go tell ya 
"less" Food :D

I started the "Body For Life" program at the end of summer and lost 12 lbs so far, even though I could be more contientious about my eating and exercise...it is hard to do

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:09:24 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 10:59:49 AM »
On the topic of shoes, what brands people recommend? Is it true that Nike and Adidas isn't very good and New Balance and Saucony are a cut above?  :beermug:

well, I went to a couple 5k races and observed that all the serious people who finish in front was wearing asics, saucony and a handful of nikes.  back of the pack had plenty nike and adidas: just like the general population.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »

well, I went to a couple 5k races and observed that all the serious people who finish in front was wearing asics, saucony and a handful of nikes.  back of the pack had plenty nike and adidas: just like the general population.
for me New Balance is the best "walking" shoe
my wife like Saucony's
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 11:24:48 AM »
Forumites,

Thanks in advance.

In a general way, speed is most important ;D, so include some interval speed work. The routine I'd suggest is:
Day 1 ..... speed work
Day 2 ..... off
Day 3 ..... 5k run @ 65%
Day 4 ..... core work  ;D ;D
Day 5 ..... speed work.
Day 6 ..... off
Day 7 ..... 1 hour+ run @ casual pace.

Stay well hydrated
avoid late meals, or allow a couple hours before you retire
run in your warrior nations shirt  ;D ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 12:35:50 PM »
From everything I've heard over the years...

New Balance
Saucony
Asics...

The best running shoes in that order.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 01:13:52 PM »

Things like Bran, fiber, whole grain bread, nuts, fish, lean meat, yogurt. Not them fancy yogurt on the shelf, that has added sugar and flavours. Just plain yogurt.

Always remember, KFC is the devil.

A good way to lose weight fast is to cut out carbs, but the problem with that is when you do start to eat them yuh body tends to hold on to them and you will put on weight fast. So cut down on it, but doh stop. 
Sunday lunch is ah next thing, Trinis accustomed to revving out on ah Sun with mammy food. Leave the stew pork gravy alone.

AH next thing that men have to do is to stop sucking c__t all bout d place. That eh good for yuh metabolism.

Més que un club.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 01:51:39 PM »

Things like Bran, fiber, whole grain bread, nuts, fish, lean meat, yogurt. Not them fancy yogurt on the shelf, that has added sugar and flavours. Just plain yogurt.

A good way to lose weight fast is to cut out carbs, but the problem with that is when you do start to eat them yuh body tends to hold on to them and you will put on weight fast. So cut down on it, but doh stop. 
Sunday lunch is ah next thing, Trinis accustomed to revving out on ah Sun with mammy food. Leave the stew pork gravy alone.

AH next thing that men have to do is to stop sucking c__t all bout d place. That eh good for yuh metabolism.

Yuh talking bullshit.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »

Yuh talking bullshit.

Maybe he used to "sucking c__t all bout d place" and know what he talking about.

Just saying...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 02:31:03 PM »
Doh underestimate the value of a good pair of running shoes.
One of my partners is a serious runner and he keeps track of how much miles he put on his shoes and changes them out @ every 6 months. He was telling me that even though the sneakers look good, the impact from all the running starts to break down the rubber and foam and the support starts to deteriorate and could impact yuh knees.

Good advice.

From everything I've heard over the years...

New Balance
Saucony
Asics...

The best running shoes in that order.

Depends on whether one has wide feet or narrow feet or whether one is flatfooted ... also depends on whether one pronates or suponates ... that is, aside from personal preference. Certainly, Nike has very compelling products within the mix.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 02:32:22 PM »
5k AND 12k

Rasta does run?
Other than the odd footballer and dem is just designer dreads..I NEVER see ah rastaman runnin in my life

Allyuh does wear dem richard simmons runner shorts or strictly red green and gold pants?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 02:42:04 PM »
what u think in the ipod dutty ?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 02:44:41 PM »
what u think in the ipod dutty ?

eh?...who ipod?

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 02:45:08 PM »

Yuh talking bullshit.

Maybe he used to "sucking c__t all bout d place" and know what he talking about.

Just saying...

How dat making yuh gain weight ?

If yuh don't suck c**t , how yuh know about it ?

If anything it should make yuh lose weight either from it being a nutrient substitute or getting some debilitating disease.

Ah jus saying ....
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 02:45:39 PM »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »
 I serious I never see a real rastaman runnin..not for a bus, taxi, after dey gyul nuttn

I doh tink rasta allowed to wear ipod...if anyting dey might have a truck driving alongside dem playin luciano for motivation

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 02:57:19 PM »
5k AND 12k

Rasta does run?
Other than the odd footballer and dem is just designer dreads..I NEVER see ah rastaman runnin in my life

Allyuh does wear dem richard simmons runner shorts or strictly red green and gold pants?

Yuh never see Countryman or wha? LOL
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>