Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Egypt
« on: February 10, 2011, 03:26:39 PM »
Egypt's Mubarak transfers power to vice president
By MAGGIE MICHAEL, Associated Press Maggie Michael, Associated Press – 4 mins ago

CAIRO – Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak announced he is handing his powers over to his vice president, Omar Suleiman, and ordered constitutional amendments. But the move means he retains his title of president and ensures regime control over the reform process, falling short of protester demands.

Protesters in Cairo's central Tahrir Square, hoping he would announce his resignation outright, watched in stunned silence to his speech, slapping their hands to their foreheads in anger, some crying or waving their shoes in the air in a sign of contempt. After he finished, they resumed their chants of "Leave! Leave! Leave!"

"I have seen that it is required to delegate the powers and authorties of the president to the vice president as dictated in the constitution," Mubarak said near the end of a 15-minute address on state TV. The article is used to transfer powers if the president is "temporarily" unable to carry out his duties and does not mean his resignation.

Mubarak said that the demands of protesters are just and legitimate. He said he had requested six constitutional amendments to answer protesters' reform demands and that he would lift hated emergency laws — but with the caveat, when security permitted, a promise that his vice president made earlier this week but was dismissed by protesters.

Yahoo News
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:33:17 PM »
large crowd moving down the street maybe towards state tv....this gonna be very interesting.

Back in Trini...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 03:56:01 PM »
pray!!!!

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 05:04:27 PM »
nowadays iz trial by twitter for politicians....smh...everyone has an opinion based on headlines and soundbites...i rel bored of dis whole egypt saga and the western media's take on the situation

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 05:11:35 PM »
Mubarak trying to pull ah fast one on the people but they noy taking him on , the people saying the  President and VP must go because they are twins .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 06:58:39 PM »
nowadays iz trial by twitter for politicians....smh...everyone has an opinion based on headlines and soundbites...i rel bored of dis whole egypt saga and the western media's take on the situation

I don't suppose nearly 30 yrs of oppression, torture and corruption has anything to do with the unrest?  Nah... must be Twitter fault this good man getting run outt town.  And de evil Western media too... they even take control ah Al Jazeera... Western infidel bastards.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 07:59:24 PM »
The longest rope has an ...........(fill in the dots)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 08:13:43 PM »
The longest rope has an ...........(fill in the dots)

...enemy in the Western media?

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:11:26 PM »
Mih Arabic kinda rusty, but this is what I hear:

I listen to allyuh whole month, and I agree, changes must be made, so I change the Vice President into a more vicey president. He will be the Camps to my Jack. I will become special advisor to the vice president. Put that is allyuh pipe and smoke it. Allyuh feel because Sammy down the street say I must go, I going anywhere? Who he is? Sammy living here? Allyuh know who I is? I is Hosni! Yeaeeeyeeaahhh!

Who feel dey is man, come by me! Allyuh know whey I living! 1 Presidential Palace, Cairo! Come nah!
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 09:48:54 PM »
Me eh lying I eh to updated on the Egyptian politics, but ah feeling real sorry for them people boy. Listening to some of the people speaking to reporters, people sounding very educated and inform. I swear was some other tv reporter was talking. Is men who out dey fighting who dropping real knowledge eloquently.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:57:25 PM »
I feel if the President was taking care of his people in Egypt things would never reach where it is .

Right now the people is waiting for the Army to decide who side they taking and if the army should take the people side the President and Vice President would die tomorrow after the people finish pray .

These Muslim  people ready to die for change not exchange , Dictators\Politicians does always take poor people for granted, anytime you see a man standup to you  and say i will die for my rights and i am ready to die right now and it is not just him is thousands like him .

Things that the older people took from Mubarak the young people not taking it , this would be a long long civil war with plenty blood if or when it start .   

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »
In all seriousness, it looks like Mubarak is trying to bait the protesters into getting violent, so he have an excuse to crack down. If he mess up they will stretch his neck in Tahrir Square. More likely a less peaceful uprising, while he and the family Somewhere else spending money.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 10:14:32 PM »
Me eh lying I eh to updated on the Egyptian politics, but ah feeling real sorry for them people boy. Listening to some of the people speaking to reporters, people sounding very educated and inform. I swear was some other tv reporter was talking. Is men who out dey fighting who dropping real knowledge eloquently.

Yuh need to check out de scenes from the past two weeks... Anderson Cooper from CNN and a host of other journalists get attacked when they went to cover the story.  There was also an account I read about two journalists and their Egyptian driver who get arrested right around the same time, and get taken to one of the Egyptian secret police interrogation compounds.  They say they couldn't sleep because is whole night man bawling from getting beat in they ears.  A story that was repeated again and again.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UBNLYet_NEQ&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UBNLYet_NEQ&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>

... of course it could just be Western media propaganda too, not so Ryan?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:27:36 PM by Bakes »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 10:23:53 PM »
There are lots of bright Egyptians. The problem is no jobs. Most end up in the Gulf states. They want to remain home but can't. It is difficult to get married and support a family in Egypt when you have no prospect of a job.  well unless you are a member of the tiny elite who has access to Mubarak and co.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Detained Egyptian Google Executive's Moving Speech
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 10:50:35 PM »
Detained Egyptian Google Executive's Moving Speech
Feb 8 2011, 11:55 AM ET
By
Alexis Madrigal

Google manager Wael Ghonim seemed like just another technocrat among the company's thousands of employees across the world. His LinkedIn profile lists his interests as "Internet surfing, reading management and marketing books, football, working out." Business associates praised his efficiency, calling him professional, energetic, and result-oriented. A student friend said you could "Count on him for practical, elegant, creative solutions, and the ability to communicate his methodologies to any audience."

One wouldn't think that Ghonim would find himself in the center of the Egyptian uprising. But maybe our social network profiles don't always tell the full story. Ghonim, head of marketing for Google in the Middle East and North Africa, was passionately dedicated to fomenting change in Egypt.

Ghonim turns out to have been one of the administrators of a Facebook page that promoted calls for nationwide protests against the government, he admitted in a recent interview with Dream TV. Foreign Policy provides backstory of that endeavor:

Many people here had speculated that Ghonim was the administrator of the "We Are All Khaled Said" Facebook page, set up to commemorate a 28-year-old youth who was brutally beaten to death on June 6, 2010, by police at an Internet cafe in Alexandria. It was the page's call for nationwide demonstrations across Egypt -- along with the spark provided by nearby Tunisia -- that lit the flame of revolution, activists say. What was so effective about the Jan. 25 protest was that "it was a clear call to action," said Nasser Weddady, civil rights outreach director for the American Islamic Congress in Boston. "Everybody wants to stop torture."

When the protests began in January, he begged off of work at Google and headed straight for Cairo, where he was snatched up by authorities and held for 12 days. As Foreign Policy argues, the hunt for Ghonim and his subsequent release may have "created an undisputed leader for a movement that in recent days has struggled to find its footing." Yesterday, he spoke on the privately owned television channel, Dream TV, and his emotional delivery and powerful call to national action may have solidified his reputation as a serious leader of the uprising.

In one particularly moving moment, Ghonim emotionally describes how the movement for change in Egypt emerged.

The heroes are the ones in the streets. The heroes are each one of us. There's no one on a horse, smacking the saddle and moving the people. Don't let the people deceive you and tell you that. This is the revolution of the youth of the Internet. This is the revolution of the youth of the Internet, which then became the revolution of the youth of Egypt. And now it's become the revolution of all of Egypt. There is no hero and there's no one that should take the seal. We are all heroes. That is it.

You can see the rest of the interview, transcribed and subtitled in English at the site, Alive in Egypt.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 11:33:27 PM »
^^^ Western media propaganda.  I bet dat Gollum fella have shares in Twitter.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 12:07:12 AM »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »
Breaking News .... he has stepped down
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 10:22:22 AM »

Ooops nope....CNN just reported he stepped back up

ok it was just to gather his belongings look like he gorne in troot ;)
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 10:26:52 AM »

CAIRO — Hosni Mubarak left Cairo for the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, according to sources and officials, after protesters marched on his main presidential palace and held vast rallies across Egypt.

NBC News reported Mubarak had left from Almaza military airport with his family, citing a high-ranking official and a security source, and the news was later confirmed by a local government official.

However the significance of the move was unclear as Mubarak regularly travels to the town on the southern tip of the Sinai region, where he has a palace.

Mubarak passed most of his powers to Vice President Omar Suleiman Thursday night, rebuffing the demands of hundreds of thousands of demonstrators that he step down immediately.

U.S. officials told NBC News that despite confusion over a speech by Mubarak Thursday — in which he appeared to suggest he was still ultimately in charge — the Obama administration was confident that Suleiman was now running the country.

A White House official said Mubarak's decision to leave Cairo was a "positive first step."

And a U.S. official told NBC News that "clearly with his departure to Sharm, the transition is underway... but particular aspects are still being resolved."

The U.S. officials also said they were "encouraged by the restraint shown by the (Egyptian) military" so far Friday and also that the protesters had remained "peaceful and not turned to violence."

However, in the north Sinai town of el-Arish, there was a potentially alarming development with Reuters reporting that about 1,000 people attacked a police station in an attempt to free prisoners.

Witnesses said they threw Molotov cocktails and exchanged gunfire with police who retreated to the roof. Al-Jazeera television reported the attackers were protesters who broke away from the main demonstration in el-Arish.

'Farewell Friday'
Hundreds of thousands of protesters gathered in Cairo for a huge rally on what they called "Farewell Friday."

This came despite an offer by the army to ensure 30-year-old emergency laws were lifted and free and fair elections held.

The military's comments were seen as a major push to end the worst crisis in Egypt's modern history, but also contained a clear signal that it wanted demonstrators off the streets.

Live television pictures from Alexandria showed massed ranks of people filling a main boulevard in the city and Al-Jazeera reported there were other demonstrations in Suez, Mahala, Tanta and Ismailia.

The protesters' pledge to march from the central Tahrir (Liberation) Square to the presidential palace raised fears of a confrontation between elite troops and demonstrators.

A crowd of more than 1,000 people were already there by midday, demanding he resign immediately. The army did not try to remove them, a Reuters witness said.

The protesters gathered up against a barbed wire cordon around the palace, about 50 yards from the palace walls at its closest point. Six tanks and armored vehicles separated the protesters from the building.

"Down, down Hosni Mubarak!" chanted the protesters. A sign delivering the same message was attached to razor wire blocking one of the entrances to the residence.

."We'll have masses of Egyptians after Friday prayer to take it over," said Ahmed Farouk, 27. "The army has been neutral and did not harm any of us," he added.

"We will march to the palace and oust Mubarak, and we know the world is on our side," said Nurhaan Ismael, a protester, 34.

"The army is relaxed at the moment. They put barbed wire all around (the roads to the palace) but they know the will of the people will topple anything," Ismael told Reuters.

What are you waiting for?" one protester yelled in the face of an army officer outside the palace.

"Did you sign an oath and pledge your allegiance to the president or the people?" another shouted.

One activist, tweeting as monasosh, said a field hospital by been set up outside the palace, where numbers were increasing.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 11:19:52 AM »
so dis mean mubarrak gone for good owa? ???

he like a panday. ah feel he have a bank account in london as well.  :devil:

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 11:32:59 AM »
but didn' they jus reject him takin ah back seat to Omar Suleiman on d basis dat dem two is "like twins" ??? , I understand the need for a caretaker an' go between with d army...........but does separating dem on d surface at least make dem any less twin ...um... like ???
I pity the fool....

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »
but didn' they jus reject him takin ah back seat to Omar Suleiman on d basis dat dem two is "like twins" ??? , I understand the need for a caretaker an' go between with d army...........but does separating dem on d surface at least make dem any less twin ...um... like ???

I guessin that him stepping down will pacify the people/place and get the economy back on track...den dey go deal wit omar
who knows what does really go on behind the potted palm.....maybe the israelis was quietly advisin him how to stay in power
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:44:56 AM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 11:42:45 AM »
I was just watching CNN they was speaking to Google manager Wael Ghonim they ask him which country he think is next he said ask Facebook this is where this uprising began .

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
I was just watching CNN they was speaking to Google manager Wael Ghonim they ask him which country he think is next he said ask Facebook this is where this uprising began .

Ahhh... so Ryan was right after all, is de evil West who destabilize de man racket and get de Egyptians up in arms.  Make it worse Zuckerberg is ah Jew too.  I was still waiting on Dutty tuh come blame dis one on Dolce and Gabana doh.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »
Hosni mussbe say to himself. "Yuh see this #&%!, I cyah take this stress nah, lemme relax in mih ole age"

Mr Mubarak is quite a wealthy man after all.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 01:55:15 PM »

Ahhh... so Ryan was right after all, is de evil West who destabilize de man racket and get de Egyptians up in arms.  Make it worse Zuckerberg is ah Jew too.  I was still waiting on Dutty tuh come blame dis one on Dolce and Gabana doh.

well as everyone that loves apple pie and hot dogs is aware...is not despots with silk purses that cause country wide revolutions......it is in fact food vendors that harm themselves
I read where the real reason for the iranian revolution is because somebody firebomb a falafel franchise

The french revolution happened because a croissant vendor drowned himself in the castle moat.....true story, I read that in the Lexington,Kentucky public library.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:57:00 PM by Dutty »

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
Dutty did you reread what yuh just wrote???? The french revolution DID NOT happen because a croissant vendor drowned....it may have been an incident that may have happened but it was not a propelling factor.

What the world is witnessing in Egypt is the truest form of democracy..imagine if that were to occur in the US then again it wouldn't too many laws against assembling en masse without a permit...

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »
Dutty did you reread what yuh just wrote???? The french revolution DID NOT happen because a croissant vendor drowned....it may have been an incident that may have happened but it was not a propelling factor.

sorry I misstyped I meant it was a flambe chef who decided to become one with his creation.  My mistake

MEP doh study me breds...it have $2 martinis today at the montanas down the street...and I was forced to buy lunch for ah client..so I NICE!!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:24:00 PM by Dutty »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 03:37:32 PM »

What the world is witnessing in Egypt is the truest form of democracy..imagine if that were to occur in the US then again it wouldn't too many laws against assembling en masse without a permit...

Really?  Ever heard of "freedom of association"?  There is nothing that blanketly prevents people from assembling en masse without a permit as you said... if they were to assemble in the streets without a permit then that would be a different issue.  You can't just spontaneously start to march in the streets and block traffic... and for good reason.

Besides... every two years people get to vote and effect some sort of national change, so yes, something like a Tahrir Sq. is indeed difficult to happen in the US.

1]; } ?>