May 19, 2024, 12:50:59 PM

Author Topic: Rub de salt in Kerron Clement, rub de salt!  (Read 19449 times)

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rub de salt in Kerron Clement, rub de salt!
« on: March 12, 2005, 08:25:52 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/03/12/sports/s173515S97.DTL

De man break world record now.  Candace Scott do good too. :-\
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 08:28:09 PM by Savannah boy »

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Rub de salt in Kerron Clement, rub de salt!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 09:49:12 PM »

Starting the stopwatch.....Now.

Let's see how long it take to pull that passport.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 10:21:31 PM »
Our track and field association  should have gone all out to get kerron clement to represent trinidad and tobago .the minister of sport that wultless bitch should gone all out himself to.Well a next one lost
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 10:27:42 PM »
triniman haul yuh c**t!  Dean tell we no long time.  we went after him...haul yuh canadian c**t!

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 10:40:41 PM »
Why not look at the positives  ;D Fana won the 60 and finished 2nd in the 200, while Kirk finished 3rd in the 800 ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 02:13:05 AM »
Doc you see something positive in lost gold medals?  De boy is only 19.  Doh forget Kirk break record too and without going de whole distance to boot.  Lawd have mercy on we.  Yuh beginning to sound like Bertille now.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 02:18:57 AM by Savannah boy »

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 05:44:11 AM »
Doc you see something positive in lost gold medals? De boy is only 19. Doh forget Kirk break record too and without going de whole distance to boot. Lawd have mercy on we. Yuh beginning to sound like Bertille now. ;D
Savannah boy wha' does wrong wit alyuh suh? The boy already represented the US. He is a theirs. It's already a lost cause ... why fuss over spilt milk? Aye an' 'bout BSC. ah hah to give 'im more credit from now orn ;D Thanks for that moment of clarity ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
CLEMENT NOT INTERESTED IN TT
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 06:09:07 AM »
As said by others, Clement is not interested in representing TT.

They tried like hell to get him for the World YCs some time ago, and the man made it abundantly clear that he was ONLY interested in representing the US.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 07:41:22 AM »
Greetings !!!

I've created a "track & field" and "cricket forum" for your convenience (if you what to off course), if you prefer to still discuss what ever here, feel free too... this is just added options....

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php#1

Cheers.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 07:57:28 AM »
aye truetrini if you cannot take part in a  the convo properly dont bother take part please.new forum new attitude please
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 10:02:02 AM »
Our track and field association  should have gone all out to get kerron clement to represent trinidad and tobago .the minister of sport that wultless bitch should gone all out himself to.Well a next one lost

The man said no, end of story. The national association can do nothing after that. What they have to question is why he chose the States. Apart from the obvious opportunities of representing the US, the association has to wonder if he decided not to go local because of any perceived mismanagement or poor organization. That is what they have to work on so that future talents do not go the same route.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 10:32:25 AM »

Ato was in the same position as him.
Went to highschool abroad and also college.

He had to make the same decision and he chose where his heart was.

If the youth choosing where his heart is then so be it...I not interested in hearing anything about him and I hope our reporters don't keep pushing the "Trinidad born" description to keep us interested or stake some kinda claim to his accomplishments.

It have nuff people who love T&T who represent us and make us proud despite the lure of more money or fame so I doh need to hear bout those who heart elsewhere or who looking after their "bread and butter".

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 11:38:36 AM »
Actually JDB HE Contacted our association first expressing interest then changed his mind for some reason and ran for the US at the world junior championships.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 12:18:47 PM »
"Clement, who wants to become a U.S. citizen and compete for the United States internationally, won the NCAA 400-meter hurdles outdoors last year as a freshman, and had considered that his best event — at least until Saturday night."

Doc, did you read the above?  I don't think he has a passport as yet to qualify him for de Olympics.  Is not spilt milk as yet.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 01:19:23 PM »
this is the reson he does not want to run for us savannah

Ato Boldon wants Trinidad and Tobago to be a world power in track and field. And the retired sprint star is willing to play his part in helping the country attain that status.

"I don't have any illusions of coaching anybody. There are people who do a good job coaching-wise, people who have a great passion for the sport, people like Mr (Edwin) Skinner, who really care about the athletes. My role should be to help. Right now, what we lack is people who know what it takes to succeed in modern-day track and field. I'm the piece of the puzzle that's missing."

Boldon, though, will not be part of any programme that is not properly supported, financially and otherwise.

"If they want to put a budget, where we can have some money to help these Olympians of the future, then fine. Failing that, I'll look elsewhere to help and just deal with whatever the repercussions are, as to who doesn't like it. At this stage, I don't have the patience to go through the usual Trini drama. I would like to help my country because my country has given me a lot, but not at the cost of my happiness.

"It's not only financial backing," an indignant Boldon continued, "but some support at a high level. A very good example is Kerron Clement. I talked to him at the US trials, and it's not that he doesn't love Trinidad, but there's such an air and a legacy of a total lack of efficiency. Even though he may not make a US team in life, Clement prefers to represent the US rather than deal with the headache of Trinidad."

But Boldon is confident that T&T's negative image can be changed.

"Anybody who is serious about track and field being a beacon for us on the world stage can do something about it. And not just when it's election time or when the next Darrel Brown shows up. If they're going to be serious about it, like countries like Jamaica and the Bahamas, then certainly I'm interested and would be willing to sit down and talk to whoever. If not, don't complain if I go and do it for somebody else."

The quadruple Olympic medallist told the Express that if T&T does not accept his offer, Canada could become the beneficiary of his knowledge and experience.

"Canada has been embarrassed by their last two Olympic showings, and they want to put things together to make their track programme one to be reckoned with. I'm definitely interested in that. I still have a deep desire to help the sport and pass on some of the knowledge I have gained."

Boldon said that if T&T does respond positively to his offer, he will do everything possible to help the country's young athletes.

"But it's not something I'm going to do by myself. I think I can assemble the people who can do it. Some are Trinidadian and some are not."

The British Broadcasting Corporation's (BBC) coverage of the 1999 World Track and Field Championships in Seville, Spain featured a Trinidadian voice. Forced out of the meet by a hamstring injury, Boldon changed roles and was part of the commentary team.

"I got good reviews for my work."

The 1997 200 metres world champion is hoping to renew his relationship with the BBC.

"Michael Johnson is reportedly not at the BBC anymore, doing track commentary. So that's something I'm definitely interested in; that's something we're going to try to work out as soon as possible."

Boldon said that HSI sprinters Maurice Greene and Inger Miller, coach John Smith and manager Emanuel Hudson all tried to convince him to shelve his retirement plans.

"None of them were convincing enough for me to sway."

The seventh fastest human being in history was, therefore, not among the athletes who turned up for the first day of HSI's off-season training programme, on Monday, November 1.

"Never before had I missed the first day of practice, so it felt a little weird. It may even be enough for me to say okay, I'm going to work out with them a little bit, just so I can begin to take this off-season weight off," Boldon ended. "I'm now about 200 pounds."

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2005, 01:29:00 PM »

If we can get Boldon aboard that would really be something.
I think this is one of the big things that can happen(his offering) to make a significant to the way things are done now.

Not sure what has to happen or who has to make it happen but if it slips then everything remains the same.
I'm guessing a technical type role like what Lincoln has is what he wants.

What is the latest on this cuz I not sure how old this artice is.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2005, 02:14:20 PM »
this is the reson he does not want to run for us savannah

Even though he may not make a US team in life, Clement prefers to represent the US rather than deal with the headache of Trinidad."

That was my fear.

What doesn't kill you should make you stronger and these disappointments need to make the athletics association wan to put their house in order. Instead they will blame Clement and say that he is unpatriotic and nothing will change.
Reading Ato's statement it didn't sound like he had any sour grapes and he is somebody who should.

Everybody have to look out for themselves so I cannot speak ill of Clement or judge the man.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 12:24:04 AM »
JDB, if de association say he unpatriotic, dey eh lying.  In de states, he is just another foreign black boy wit a slightly odd accent.  You live in America like me.  Yuh know wha de ass ah talking about.  You really feel Uncle Sam go give him some national recognition.  Most he go make is a box of dem stinking Wheaties.  In T&T we go name all kinda thing after him and give him awards...maybe even a house or apartment. 
Yuh didn't Read meh other post in de athletics Forum.  Most of de time in athletics, yuh does run fuh yuhself and yuh sponsor.  Nike go sponsor yuh as long as yuh was winning even if yuh was from Timbuktu...dey really doh care where de hell yuh from.  De same for de NCAA schools, they don't give a damn where yuh from or who yuh represent at de Worlds or Olympics. 

Kerron only have to come to T&T to run trials to be eligible for Olympics, Pan Am, and Commonwealth (the latter two are strictly on a voluntary basis).  I am not sure that countries have trials for de World's meet.  Selection is based on de standards you set during de season.  Kerron would only be representing we every four years on a compulsory basis if he chose to run for us.  How could dat be a headache?  Headache meh ass.  What de 4q does de "Headache of Trinidad" mean?  De distance.  Dat is ah lie.  Ato came from quite L.A. around 10 hrs flight time plus de wait in transit.  Wha bout Frankie Fredricks...well yuh could calculate how far Namibia is away from all de action by yuhself.  $$$ ???  Ato had big $$$ sponsors.  Like Nike really care where yuh from.  Doh want to live in T&T?  He and one set of dem living more or less like American while with club or school.  Dey doh have to live here.  Facilities???  Why yuh go worry bout we facilities when yuh only obligated to come fuh trials to run in de blasted Olympics every four years and yuh using American facilities almost exclusively throughout yuh career?  We have good Mondo track here in T&T.  Is not like he go be running like ah racehorse in de middle of de Savannah.  I jes want an explanation for what dis headache is for he to turn he back on he country?  He eh no foootballer having to come home all de time or go all over de place to get caps to maintain his pro status in Europe. 

If is de blasted admin, or he and somebody butt up, then let we hear bout it so we could cuss somebody and fix de problem.  Like I said dis fella know we anthem already.  Kerron is ah homeboy.  He could sing it in he sleep.  Now he have to go and learn all de words after...Oh say can you see...Dat is ah headache.  Give de boy ah box of Wheaties.  He deserve one. 

As far as we administration goes, allyuh need to ketch yuhself.  One day de cat go come outta de bag.  Kerron is unpatriotic.  Yuh either a Patriot or yuh not, it doh get more black and white dan dat. But I have to ask de local officials as well?  Are you jokers patriotic?  If allyuh could sour a 19 year old who is about to embark upon a tremendous athletic career, wha it is allyuh really doing to encourage people to give our country such a stigma overseas?  Allyuh have no blasted shame?  I see two problems.  Kerron and de administration.  Both of dem walking de plank in my book.  Two wrong doh make a right.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 07:25:08 PM by Savannah boy »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 01:19:55 PM »
I believe  Kerron's parents are to blame! They are obviously not patriotic Trinis and so haven't instilled that important trait in their son!  Sad but maybe Ato might be able to have a talk with Kerron's parents who are the major ones making his decisions at 19!

Ah gorn
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 07:28:34 PM »
Boy Soca Pro where yuh get dat picture from boy?  Yuh have de kicksiest picture on de forum so far.   ;D

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 08:54:45 PM »
I still hope kerron changes his mind

truetrini

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2005, 09:12:57 PM »
Why?  Yuh feel he could get landed status and run fuh Canada?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2005, 03:23:25 AM »
Clement is a f**king dog...... leh he hall he c**t...

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2005, 10:39:07 AM »
Trinidad-born teenager Kerron Clement has broken Michael Johnson's decade-old indoor world record for the 400m.
The 19-year-old was competing for the University of Florida at the National Collegiate Athletic Association indoor championships in Arkansas.

Clement, who is the world junior 400m hurdles champion, clocked a time of 44.57 seconds, obliterating Johnson's time of 44.63 seconds.

It was the second big success in a week for the teenager, who helped his university team set a new NCAA 4x400m relay record the previous weekend.

"I can't describe how I feel," he said after the race.

"When I crossed the line, I wanted to cry, that was my first reaction" he said. "It was so overwhelming - breaking Michael Johnson's record. I guess it's mine now."

The record-breaking athlete who left Trinidad at 13 when his family migrated to the United States has been hailed by athletics pundits as a possible successor to the current World and Olympic champion, Felix Sanchez.

Switched allegiances

Clement's achievements have been lauded in the Trinidad media, but the pride will be tinged with disappointment that he has opted to run for the United States.

Trinidad sports journalist Kwame Laurence told BBC Caribbean Radio that Clement had in the past expressed interest in running for the country of his birth, but that athletics officials had "missed the boat".
I don't think there's anything that Trinidad would be able to offer that can lure him back because certainly, the big sport equipment giants like Nike and Adidas would be chasing Kerron with some attractive offer.
"Maybe we felt we didn't need to go after him because he already declared his intention to run for us but the United States certainly wasn't going to sleep on a talent like Kerron Clement particularly since that talent was spotted and developed in the United States

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2005, 10:50:56 AM »

Good luck Keron.  Make sure you turn in your T&T passport when you get your new one.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2005, 11:18:23 AM »
Six years removed from 19 does not a yankee make and like I said before, Nike and Addidas eh looking at passport.  Dey blank Ato or Darrel Brown?  No!  To assume some connection between private sponsorship and endorsement deals and de U.S. wanting to snap up foreigners for their own means is not a reflection of reality.  Kwame Laurence way off.  Ah starting to feel like Sam now after I see de picture.  All dat boy getting is a box of Wheaties and a few deals no National Recognition or Apartment or Stadium Name like what Ato get.  I doubt dey go even put he on a stamp.  A lot of people in his adopted country does still blush to see a black man on a Stamp and would refuse to even touch it.  Many would hesitate to shake he hand in real.  When yuh go to de stores over dey, everybody getting change in dey hand except if yuh brown like de Latinos or what dem call Black.  Your change will be put on de counter.  Play yuhself Kerron, go represent a country dat would not even allow yuh to be President simply because of yuh race.  Hold de flag high seeing like yuh forget how we does wave it.  I eh vex no more is laugh ah laughing now.   :D

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2005, 12:48:42 PM »
Savannah boy but them endorsement will be worth millions of dollars not only cornflakes boxes he going on he might even do them travellers cheques commercials like what marion jones does do etc etc  but that  would pale in comparison to the recognition he will receive in trinidad cause in the USA he is just another black track athlete.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2005, 03:42:32 PM »
Six years removed from 19 does not a yankee make and like I said before, Nike and Addidas eh looking at passport. Dey blank Ato or Darrel Brown? No!

It have more to it true.

But just about the money part he can make more money as a US athlete if he blow up big like maybe a Michael Johnson.  If he turn out average(which for the US is still real good) then it might be around the same.  Watch Olympics and see the difference in coverage of the US athletes to the rest.  Outside of the track sponsorship by Nike/Addidas it have real money to make with Commercial endorsements.

I don't think money is what motivating him though.  Maybe his family getting fix up too or something.
Otherwise it real perplexing how he waving that flag like a true fresh water yankee.
I rather blank he out cuz I have nutting good to say bout him.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2005, 07:01:50 PM »
Triniman ah feel only a few endorsements will come anyway as he living there but de question is how he talking now.  Marion Jones grew up there from Belizean parents but she doh sound Belizean one bit and she light enough fuh dem yankee to bare she on de screen, she'a a woman, plus she good looking too....rider or not.  Ah eh lying there, yuh follow me?

Kerron already preeety and he too dark fuh dem yankee people plus ah dunno how he does sound.  Dem endorsement people real prejudiced yuh know.  De most disadvantaged group in these types of small endorsements is de African American Male.  Coming from de Caribbean, he limboing even further under that radar.  All dem black Super Bowl MVPs go let yuh know about dat.  All dem 100m U.S. runners eh get no big set of endorsements other than shoewear.  Wha big endorsements outside of a shoes yuh saw Michael Johnson end up with and he even more preeety than Kerron.  Somehow these blasted people see men of African descent as a threatening image. 

I lived in de Sates fuh 12 years and I have not been pleased with this profiling for advertising.  Any of de U.S. based who heavily into sports know what I'm referring too.  Jordan have shoes and Wheaties, how much else yuh remember off de top of yuh head and how many of those products targeting people in de high income bracket (where de real $$$ are)?  Recently yuh seeing man on thing like Chunky Soup but those endorsements pale in comparison to what de white players get.  Endorsements targeting de lower income sector in de States doh pay much.  Dat is another topic all together. 

My point is that he will be remembered forever in T&T if he gone and win an Olympic gold.  Yuh think we go ever change de names of Hasely Crawfoed, Ato Boldon and Dwight Yorke Stadiums.  Jean Pierre dead...we forget she?  Claude Noel?  Brian Lara?  Even if somebody surpassed their achievements, they will never be forgotten.  If somebody break de new 400m record in de States, 2 years from den, dey go be like Kerron who?

You feel Jerry Rice get some big set of endorsements despite being the best WR ever in de NFL.  Not even when he was the Super bowl MVP.  Man want to see Elway, Montana, Brady etc. etc.  Now lil island boy go rush een so and get all dem big time endorsements.  Nah!  Nike or Addidas go take care of him no matter who he representing, de same way dey took care of Kim Collins, Obadele Thompson, Ato, Frankie Fredricks, Francis Obikwelu and anybody who is known for running.  Dey have no choice is shoes dey have to sell...dey have no choice.  Dis is another form of colonialism if yuh ask me.  Anyway, de $$$ from dat endorsement alone should set him up for a nice life.  There will be very little national recognition from de Americans.  Dat is ah surety.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2005, 09:39:32 AM »
Excerpt taken from www.gatorsports.com:

Clement has used his cool demeanor to make a long journey to track stardom in the United States. Clement was born and raised on the tiny Caribbean Island of Trinidad. He moved to Texas in December, 1998, with his mother where he attended La Porte High School.
Although Clement was talented enough to run on Trinidad's Olympic team, he had greater aspirations. Clement wanted to run with the best track athletes, and those, he says, are in the United States.
But before he could compete on any U.S. national team, Clement needed to obtain his U.S. citizenship. And he did so, finally becoming a U.S. citizen days before last summer's World Junior Championships.
"I would totally give it all up to run for the United States," he said. "I want to run with the best and the United States has the best."

1]; } ?>