May 16, 2024, 10:48:34 AM

Author Topic: Re: The French influence in T&T  (Read 80239 times)

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Re: The French influence in T&T
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2007, 11:13:57 PM »

However, while there are clearly Roman and French influences in the festivals of New Orleans, Rio, Trinidad, etc., the roots of these pre-Lenten festivals lie in Africa where, ironically, it had nothing to do with Lent at all.

Why are you determined to prove yourself as a clown?

JDB he's acually correct in this case.

That's exactly the point I was making but he still didn't get it. ::) The fact is the French has no influence watsoever in Brazil's Carnival yet it is very similar to TNT's

I think most people here are believing in "Baybylon system" as far as these Europeans are concerned.  But facts are facts and the culture and traditions are of W. African origins.

The next thing I'll probably hear from some is that Ska/Reggae was influenced by some European too  :rotfl:

What is similar in both T&T and Brazil is the dominant presence of the Catholic fate, which seems to be a recurring theme in most of the World's Carnivals.

BTW Ska/Reggae has quite alot of American influences. ;)
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2007, 11:34:07 PM »

However, while there are clearly Roman and French influences in the festivals of New Orleans, Rio, Trinidad, etc., the roots of these pre-Lenten festivals lie in Africa where, ironically, it had nothing to do with Lent at all.

That's exactly the point I was making but he still didn't get it. ::) The fact is the French has no influence watsoever in Brazil's Carnival yet it is very similar to TNT's

I think most people here are believing in "Baybylon system" as far as these Europeans are concerned.  But facts are facts and the culture and traditions are of W. African origins.

The next thing I'll probably hear from some is that Ska/Reggae was influenced by some European too  :rotfl:

What is similar in both T&T and Brazil is the dominant presence of the Catholic fate, which seems to be a recurring theme in most of the World's Carnivals.

I think you got it wrong there. American hip hop was influenced by Jamaican ska/reggaemusic. The evolution of hip hop started in NY in late 60's with DJ's trying to rap (talk fast) over a beat which is founded from our dancehall/ska reggae. Jamaican DJ's were doing this long b4 anyone else in the world.

If you like I could post you a full article on how we influenced Hip Hop/Rap in America.
"I love to see my people living in love, hate to see dem fighting and swimming in blood."

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2007, 11:46:04 PM »

Pointman,

Here is an excerpt explain that hip hop started from Cool Herc a Jamaican that influenced Hip Hop/Rap in America. Never underestimate the influence our culture has had in music and fashion in America.

It was stated earlier in my unit that the ‘Hip Hop’ subculture and rap music seemed to have originated in the United States in the Bronx. Before discussing rap music in the United States one must examine Jamaican music because it had a tremendous effect on American rap music. One style of Jamaican music that needs to be explored was known as ‘toasting’.

Dick Hebdige in his book, “Cut ‘N’ Mix” described Jamaican ‘toasting’ as when the Jamaican disc jockies talked over the music they played. This style developed at dances in Jamaica known as “blues dances”. “Blues dances” were dances which took place in large halls or out in the open in the slum yards. “Blues dances” were a regular feature of ghetto life in Jamaica. At these dances black America R&B records were played. Jamaicans were introduced to these records by black American sailors stationed on the island and by American radio stations in and around Miami which played R&B records. Some favorite R&B artists were Fats Domino, Amos Melburn, Louis Jordan, and Roy Brown. There was a great demand for the R&B type of music, but unfortunately there were no local Jamaican bands which could play this type of music as well as the black American artists. As a result, ‘sound systems’ (comprised of DJs, roadies, engineers, bouncers) which were large mobile discotheques were set up to meet this need.

The record playing systems of ‘sound systems’ had to be large so people could hear the bass by which to dance according to Hebdige. The major player in the ‘sound systems’ was the DJ. Some notable Jamaican DJs were Duke Reid, Sir Coxsone, and Prince Buster. They were performers as well as DJs. For example, Duke Reid dressed in a long ermine cloak with a pair of Colt 45s in cowboy holsters with a cartridge belt strapped across his chest and a loaded shotgun over his shoulder. This outfit was topped off with a gilt crown on his head. Just as there were to be DJ battles (competition) in the Bronx, they would occur first in Jamaica with one DJ trying to out play another DJ. As in both ‘battles’, here in the U.S. and Jamaica, the competition boiled down to who had the loudest system and the most original records and technique. It was not uncommon for things to get out of hand and for fighting to erupt during these DJ battles at the Jamaican “blues dances” once the crowds got caught up in this frenzy. It was said that Duke Reid would bring the crowd under control by firing his shotgun in the air.

At first Jamaican toasting began when DJs would ‘toast’ over the music they played with simple slogans to encourage the dancers. Some of these simple slogans were “Work it, Work it” and “Move it up”. As ‘toasting’ became more popular so did the lengths of the toasts. One of the first big “toasting” stars was a Jamaican named U Roy (his real name was Ewart Beckford). Another technique which developed along side ‘toasting’ was called ‘dubs’. ‘Dubbing’ was when the record engineers would cut back and forth between the vocal and instrumental tracks while adjusting the bass and the treble. This technique highlighted the Jamaican ‘toasting’ even more.

There are four areas which Jamaican ‘toasting’ and American rap music have in common. First, both types of music relied on pre-recorded sounds. Second, both types of music relied on a strong beat by which they either rapped or toasted. American rap music relied on the strong beat of hard funk and Jamaican “toasting” relied on the beat from the Jamaican rhythms. Third, in both styles the rapper or toaster spoke their lines in time with the rhythm taken from the records. Fourth, the content of the raps and toasts were similar in nature. For example, as there were boast raps, insult raps, news raps, message raps, nonsense raps, and party raps there also existed toasts that were similar in nature. At this point in my unit I will introduce my students to some music of some notable Jamaican toasters such as U Roy, Duke Reid, Sir Coxsone, and Prince Buster. In addition, I will ask my students to bring in some rap records which illustrate the different types of raps mentioned above.

Steven Hager in his book states that in 1967 a young Jamaican would immigrate to the Bronx bringing with him his knowledge of the Jamaican ‘sound system’ scene and Jamaican ‘toasting’ style. His name was Clive Campbell. He was known as Kool Herc in the Bronx. Campbell received the nickname Hercules while he was attending Alfred E. Smith High School in 1970 by a friend. His friend called him Hercules because of his physique. Clive was into weight lifting. Clive did not like the name Hercules so he shortened it to Herc. When Herc became a graffiti writer he took the tag name Kool Herc. Kool Herc began to DJ in 1973 once he had amassed a great sound system. The Jamaican influence of having a large sound system was not lost on Herc. Herc realized that in order for large crowds to dance to his music they needed to hear the beat. Kool Herc seldom played an entire song. He knew which part of the record sent his audience into a frenzy. It was usually a 30 second “break” section in which the drums, bass, and rhythm guitar stripped the beat to its barest essence. Herc would buy two copies of the same record and play it over and over emphasizing the break section. Herc used two turntables to accomplish this feat. This technique became known as “beats” or “break-beats”. As in graffiti, style was important and to be imitated if it was good. What was odd about Herc’s style was that he did not use headphones to locate the breaks on the other turntable as other DJs would do who would later use his style. As with the onset of Jamaican ‘toasting’, Kool Herc also used simple phrases to encourage his dancers. But as the mixing in the “breaks” between the two turntables required more concentration, Herc became the first DJ to create MC-Dance team. (While Kool Herc performed at a club named the Hevalo, dancers to his music became known as ‘break dancers’)

There are several other DJs that made contributions to American rap music that need to be noted of whom my students may not be aware. Most students if you ask them are aware of a technique called ‘scratching’, but are unaware of who started it. The technique called ‘scratching’ was invented by a DJ called Theodor. ‘Scratching’ involves the DJ spinning a record backwards and forward very fast while the needle is in the groove. A record when it is handled in this way can become a percussive instrument. With the advent of the CD, this technique may become obsolete. Another important Bronx DJ was George Saddler who was known as Grandmaster Flash. Grandmaster Flash was an expert at ‘punch phasing’. ‘Punch phasing’ is when a DJ hits a particular break on one turntable while the record on the other turntable is still playing (and it does not necessarily have to be the same record as in the case of Herc’s “break-beat” style). ‘Punch phasing’ is used to accentuate the beat and rhythm for the dancing crowd. Flash also used a beat box. This was a machine that produced an electronic beat. As time went on some rap groups had members who were known as ‘human beat boxes’ who produced sounds using their mouth, lips, and throats. This technique has faded in use. One group that was famous for the ‘human beat box’ sound was known as the Fat Boys.

There is one other early American DJ that deserves mentioning and that is Afrika Bambaataa. Bam ran a sound system at the Bronx River Community Center. As Bob Marley was a spokesperson for reggae, Bam was an ambassador and spokesperson for the ‘Hip Hop’ culture. Afrika Bambaataa was the name of a famous 19th century Zulu chief, the name means Affectionate Leader. Bam took his role as a leader in the ‘Hip Hop’ culture seriously. In 1975 Bam founded an organization known as the Zulu Nation. The major function of this organization was to replace gang rumbles and drugs with rap, dance, and the ‘Hip Hop’ style. There is a chapter of the Zulu Nation in New Haven. At this point in my unit I will see if it is possible to get a representative from this chapter to visit my classroom.

At this point in my unit I would like to break away from talking about rap music and talk about ‘break dancing’ which evolved around rap. ‘Break dancing’ was a style of dancing that grew up around rap music during rap’s early stages of development in the United States. ‘Break dancing’ stretched the human body to its limit. It was a very dangerous form of dancing which I am glad to say has faded in its popularity due to the number of injuries incurred. Very few, if any students ‘break dance’ today. Once I describe some of the common ‘break dance ‘ moves it will be quite evident why this type of dancing declined.

One popular move in ‘break dancing’ was known as the ‘Floor Lock’. In this move dancers would support themselves on one hand while spinning their bodies around while kicking out their legs. Another popular move was the ‘Handglide or Flow’. In this particular move the dancers would spin their bodies while balancing them on one elbow. The ‘Backspin’ and the ‘Windmill’ moves were beak moves that used the shoulder as a pivot. The ‘Headspin’ move as its name indicates, required the dancer to spin using his head as the pivot point. Then there was the ‘lofting’ move in which the dancers would dive in the air and land on their hands. Probably one of the most dangerous break moves was the ‘Suicide’ move. In this move the dancer falls forward with their hands to the side doing a complete flip landing flat on their back. If the dancer survived this move they would freeze into a posture indicating the completion of their routine. As with other aspects of the ‘Hip Hop’ subculture, originality and style were of the upmost importance in ‘break dancing’. It seemed that the more original the moves were in ‘break dancing’ the more hazardous they were to the dancer’s health.

According to Dick Hebdige in his book, “Cut ‘N’ Mix,” ‘break dancing’ would be replaced in the ‘Hip Hop’ culture by dance moves known as the ‘electric boogie’ moves. Most of these moves would call for dancers to snap and twitch muscles in time to the music. Some of the most popular moves of this style of dance were the Tick, the Mannequin or Robot, the King Tut, the Wave, the Pop, the Float, and the Moonwalk which was made famous by the great Michael Jackson. In fact, many of Michael’s dance moves were this style of dancing. Our students may still be familiar with some of these ‘electric boogie’ moves and with a little encouragement they might be willing to demonstrate some of them. Michael in his recent famous interview with Oprah Winfrey gave credit to the Moonwalk and several of his moves to dancers he observed in clubs and on the streets. These moves had originated from dancers into the ‘Hip Hop’ culture.

The ‘electric boogie’ moves according to Hebdige were replaced in 1982 by a type of dancing known as ‘free style’ in which dancers would improvise their own moves. As I was researching my unit I asked several middle and high school students what new dance was popular now and their response was ‘free style’. They said, “Mr. Rhodes, we just do whatever we feel like doing.” This may be the case, but if one observes a middle school or high school dance one can not but help to notice that some of the dance moves seem very similar in nature. I believe that this can be explained by the fact that even though style and originality have always been important factors in the ‘Hip Hop’ culture so has imitation.

When one examines the dress of the ‘Hip Hop’ culture it is quite evident that one major factor affecting the dress of this subculture has been their dances. Whether the dancer was doing ‘break’ moves, ‘electric boogie’ moves, or ‘free style’ moves loose fitting clothing was a prerequisite in order to do these moves. Also, comfortable shoes would be needed, and sneakers seem to have filled this need. One only needs to look at what are students love to wear to see the validity in the statements concerning dress made above. A question may arise about why young male students wear their pants hanging down by their hips. This style did not result from the dance styles of the ‘Hip Hop’ culture but from a more dubious source, one that many of these young male students are completely unaware of. This style originated in the prisons. Unfortunately, there is a high percentage of young minorities that are incarcerated at some point in their life. Once behind these locked doors prison officials usually remove inmates’ belts for obvious reasons. As a consequence, inmates would walk around with their pants around their hips. Once these young inmates were released and returned to their old neighborhoods, they brought with them this style of wearing their pants around their hips. This style became popular with young males without their realizing they were emulating a style that had originated in prison. I by no means am implying that if these young males had known the origin of this style that this style would not have become so popular. If one talks to any one who has been incarcerated they will substantiate the fact that this style has been in prisons for many years.

At this point in my unit I would like to examine the rap music industry today. Even though rap is proportionally more popular among blacks, its primary audience is white and lives in the suburbs according to David Samuels in his article in the November 11, 1991 issue of “The New Republic.” The article was titled “The Rap on Rap: the ‘Black Music’ that Isn’t Either”. Samuels attempts to substantiate this fact by revealing that the number one selling record in 1991 according to Billboard Magazine was Niggaz4life, a celebration of gang rape and other violence by the group N.W.A. (Niggers With Attitude). Billboard Magazine in the summer of 1991 started to use ‘Soundscam’, a much more accurate method of counting record sells by scanning the bar codes of records sold at the cash register instead of relying on big-city record stores to determine the most popular record. Samuels went on to state that the more rappers were packaged as violent black criminals the bigger the white audience became. I do not think any one can account for the popularity of rap to a white audience no more than one could account for the popularity of the black entertainment in the ‘speakeasies’ to the white audiences of the late 1920s and 1930s. Other than the attraction which exists for something that is taboo or forbidden by one’s social group.

The first rap record to make it big was “Rapper’s Delight” released by the Sugar Hill Gang on Syliva and Joey Robinson’s Sugar Hill label. Mr. David in his article said that “Rapper’s Delight” (a nonsense rap), “White Lines” (a rap with an anti-drug theme), and “The Message” (about ghetto life in the black neighborhood) were designed to sell records to whites and had a less favorable reaction in the streets where rap was created according to Russell Simmons, president of Def Jam Records. Simmons recalls an incident when Junebug, a famous DJ of the time, was playing “The Message” and Ronnie DJ put a pistol to his head and said, Take that record off and break it or I’ll blow your f——-g head off. The whole club stopped until he broke the record and put it in the garbage. This attitude may have been true for certain rappers but I have my doubts if this attitude was a true reflection of how a majority of African-Americans felt who liked rap music. I base my assumption on the fact that when I used to frequent clubs, two of the most requested records were “Rapper’s Delight” and “The Message”. (These clubs were predominately attended by blacks.)

Run-D.M.C. was the first black rap group to break through to a mass white audience with their albums, Run-D.M.C and King of Rock. These albums led the way that rap would travel into the musical mainstream. Even though Run-D.M.C. dressed as if they came right off the street corner, this was not the case. Run and D.M.C came from middle class families, they were never deprived of anything and they never ran with a gang. One could never tell this by their dress or from the raps they made. Run-D.M.C. records were produced under the Def Jam label which had as one of its founders a Jewish punk rocker named Rick Rubin. Russell Simmons, Run’s brother, was to later take control of the Def Jam label in 1989, however this can not take away from the fact that this so-called militant rap group was at one time being produced by a white person. What is even more startling is that one of the most militant rap groups, Public Enemy, was also produced by Rick Rubin. Just as Run-D.M.C. came from middle-class families so did Public Enemy. Members of Public Enemy grew up in suburban Long Island towns with successful middle-class professional parents.

"I love to see my people living in love, hate to see dem fighting and swimming in blood."

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2007, 12:30:10 AM »
Ey somebody please move Warlord's last post to its own thread.

Warlord, in all seriousness, you sound like you have a learning disability.

Here, please register.  Learning Disabilities Association of America

Offline UnWiseSage (aka Jahyute)

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2007, 02:44:30 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

OH gord yuh kill me wit dis one!

Ah gorn too long!! Dis forum is de greatest bar none!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 02:58:18 AM by Jahyute »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2007, 06:24:54 AM »
Guys leh we end this forum, we going way off, now. Leh we go back to football.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2007, 06:26:25 AM »
Guys leh we end this forum, we going way off, now. Leh we go back to football.

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2007, 10:12:04 AM »

If mi have a learning disability den yu mussi born out a yu madda battyhole :rotfl:

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2007, 10:21:21 AM »

If mi have a learning disability den yu mussi born out a yu madda battyhole :rotfl:

Ass looking for attention...........ignore.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2007, 10:55:11 AM »

The guy who's telling other people to grow up ... ::)
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2007, 07:40:47 PM »
I agree with Warlord about one  culture/race taking credit for another cultures/race accomplishment. Hip hop and rap culture is slowly moving away from being black/Afri-American, and becoming more an "urban" American culture. This is similar to what has happened to rock and roll. Rock and roll know has a white face, but the face of rock and roll is originally black.

As for Culture, in TNT, its origins are West African. Using "French influence" acknowledges the European presence in the culture. However, the West African presence is not acknowledged as much as the French. The only reason why that might be so, is that it is probably already agreed upon as being West African in its origins.

Dont get me wrong guys, I am not pro Warlord, but if his point is that the term "French influence" depicts the European culture as being dominant or the "main player" in the development of Trinidadian culture, then I agree with him. But if his point is that there is no connection between Trinidad and the Afri-Francophone peoples in the Caribbean, then I disagree with him.   

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2007, 08:07:45 PM »

I think you got it wrong there. American hip hop was influenced by Jamaican ska/reggaemusic. The evolution of hip hop started in NY in late 60's with DJ's trying to rap (talk fast) over a beat which is founded from our dancehall/ska reggae. Jamaican DJ's were doing this long b4 anyone else in the world.

If you like I could post you a full article on how we influenced Hip Hop/Rap in America.

warlord ska has american influences ska came about when they mixed the mento with the american R&b
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2007, 08:11:41 PM »
yuh have a point football proof

this is ghana check it out people

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-NjXiuRECJg

boy this look like the beating iron and drum in ghana

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KQPUMLsECyI&mode=related&search=

here the music in the ghana vs jamaica

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hMsLh0NWHwY

heart beat of ghanago to 5.28min the doing a bit druming with iron la bit ike carnival

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gCtQFeyiwbE
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 08:32:12 PM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2007, 08:53:54 PM »

VB
hahaha no... thanks VB but i think ill address him with an open letter.

(clears throat)

Dear Warlord,  I believe I may know a semi retarded sloth that has larger range of vocabulary than you and boy goofy certainly uses it with more wit and guile than you... Perhaps you should stick to conversing with rocks for now... check us in about 10 to 15... hell make it about 30 years then yuh could check us.

for now... in your words of grace.. latahz yuh battyrashole!  :)

yours truely... Jefferz.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 08:57:07 PM by Jefferz »
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2007, 09:09:49 PM »
Lets forget about the name calling and insults. I actually enjoy this thread. It has taught me many things I never knew. Big up to the people who bring good info and challenge preconcieved notions and beliefs.   

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2007, 09:56:17 PM »

;D I considered responding to him then decided against it. :beermug:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2007, 10:32:17 PM »
I agree with Warlord about one  culture/race taking credit for another cultures/race accomplishment. Hip hop and rap culture is slowly moving away from being black/Afri-American, and becoming more an "urban" American culture. This is similar to what has happened to rock and roll. Rock and roll know has a white face, but the face of rock and roll is originally black.

As for Culture, in TNT, its origins are West African. Using "French influence" acknowledges the European presence in the culture. However, the West African presence is not acknowledged as much as the French. The only reason why that might be so, is that it is probably already agreed upon as being West African in its origins.

Dont get me wrong guys, I am not pro Warlord, but if his point is that the term "French influence" depicts the European culture as being dominant or the "main player" in the development of Trinidadian culture, then I agree with him. But if his point is that there is no connection between Trinidad and the Afri-Francophone peoples in the Caribbean, then I disagree with him.   

At least you have the guts to see my point about how much the white man has brainwashed some people's opinion here about their own traditions and culture when it comes to Carnival. You are a sensible individual who has acknowledged the impact of West African culture in Trinidad and Tobago. Big up  prof. As we say in Jamaicaland, "The stone that di builder refuse will be di head corner stone".

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2007, 10:34:46 PM »

VB

Pussy,

yuh nuh tired fi hear mi diss unnuh?

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2007, 10:37:51 PM »

VB

(clears throat)

Dear Warlord,  I believe I may know a semi retarded sloth that has larger range of vocabulary than you and boy goofy certainly uses it with more wit and guile than you... Perhaps you should stick to conversing with rocks for now... check us in about 10 to 15... hell make it about 30 years then yuh could check us.

yours truely... Jefferz.

And your point is what fassyhole? eee....wha smaddy tek yu girl? Bounty mek a tune fi workless bwoy like unnuh! ;D

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2007, 10:42:28 PM »

warlord ska has american influences ska came about when they mixed the mento with the american R&b

Not true. Hip Hop and Rap was influenced by our music. Reggae has never had any influence from the US. Check the history of Ska, Reagge/Dancehall and you will see for yourself. Of course I can always post an article if you like.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2007, 12:49:00 AM »

VB

(clears throat)

yours truely... Jefferz.

And your point is what fassyhole? eee....wha smaddy tek yu girl? Bounty mek a tune fi workless bwoy like unnuh! ;D

so i guess this means you are indeed absolutely oblivious to the the fact that you are obviously seriously mentally challenged.... or is it that your just jamaican??

either means the same thing.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2007, 04:34:28 AM »

The latter statement was his original point. In fact the subject wasn't Carnival specifically but Trinidad Culture in general andwas been adamant that the French played no part. Carnival was just an example to show that the French had any influence at all. It obviously served Warlord's innane purposes to make that the subject.

Carnival is obviously the fruit of African as well as French culture and no one disputed that, the only one believing that it has one absolute origin was Warlord.

I prepared to let this one rest because it has now descened into a trollish pissing match.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2007, 07:32:10 AM »

The latter statement was his original point. In fact the subject wasn't Carnival specifically but Trinidad Culture in general andwas been adamant that the French played no part. Carnival was just an example to show that the French had any influence at all. It obviously served Warlord's innane purposes to make that the subject.

Carnival is obviously the fruit of African as well as French culture and no one disputed that, the only one believing that it has one absolute origin was Warlord.

I prepared to let this one rest because it has now descened into a trollish pissing match.

once again you missed my point. It was in reference to Carnival it's culture and strong W. African tradition. That's why i poted that excerpt to let you people know that it existed before French/European colonialism and that is what happened in Trinidad & Tobago. The white man likes to claim everything when it serves a purpose to make him look good. You need to dig deeper man. Your history Carnival is what is.... A tradition of West Africa.

Even Triniman proved my point. Take a look at the clips of the similarity with Ghanaian drumming, music etc

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2007, 07:33:31 AM »
 :yawning: :yawning:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2007, 07:37:43 AM »

VB

(clears throat)

yours truely... Jefferz.

so i guess this means you are indeed absolutely oblivious to the the fact that you are obviously seriously mentally challenged.... or is it that your just jamaican??

either means the same thing.

mi a wonder if a smaddy adopt unnuh. yu a foster pickney? ;D

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2007, 11:31:29 AM »
Before we start to knock warlord, we should listen to what he is saying.  It is true that the European power collective feels that their role in the development of culture is the most importan. This is in all facets of society.

Even the term "West Indian" is problematic. I dont mean to step on anyones toes, but when I learned Afri-Caribbean history and Caribbean history, I stopped referring to my culture or origins as  "West Indian". Afri-Caribbeans should replace "West Indian" with "West African" instead. Doesn't that make more sense?

Terms like "West Indian", "French influence"  are symbols of european cultural imperialism. They only serve the European power collective.

Big up Warlord. Although, You might have missed the point that some of these guys were making regarding Afri-francophone Caribbeans and Trinidad. But some of these guys on this thread are victims of Cultural imperialism. Thats why they are quick to name call instead of hearing you out.

This is a good thread!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2007, 11:44:24 AM »
Prof..you takin dis ting on a whole new tangent

If ah black man from Trinidad refer to himself as West African...and then somebody ask him "really? which country?"...and he reply Trinidad...wuh kinda ass he go look like?

Once you start into re-labeling everything that has already has a designated name for the past 5 or 6 centuries you bound to get into chaos

The orginal name of the continent of Africa is not even Africa,, that too is a colonial name.......however the people livin on that continent are happy to refer to themselves as such

My opinion, yuh hadda pick yuh battles

Warlord cant have any credibility, when people start to tell  man bout "mudda batty hole" because somebody posed an opposing opinion ..men cyah take you serious

buh he name warlord...so he goin dong fightin
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2007, 11:55:52 AM »
Before we start to knock warlord, we should listen to what he is saying.  It is true that the European power collective feels that their role in the development of culture is the most importan. This is in all facets of society.

Even the term "West Indian" is problematic. I dont mean to step on anyones toes, but when I learned Afri-Caribbean history and Caribbean history, I stopped referring to my culture or origins as  "West Indian". Afri-Caribbeans should replace "West Indian" with "West African" instead. Doesn't that make more sense?

Terms like "West Indian", "French influence"  are symbols of european cultural imperialism. They only serve the European power collective.

Big up Warlord. Although, You might have missed the point that some of these guys were making regarding Afri-francophone Caribbeans and Trinidad. But some of these guys on this thread are victims of Cultural imperialism. Thats why they are quick to name call instead of hearing you out.

This is a good thread!

I doh know, but I always thought (learned) that we got the name West Indian mainly because of the original peoples of the caribbean..the AMERINDIANS which consisted of the Arawaks and Caribs..so I am not sure what's your point about..

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2007, 11:59:32 AM »
Even the term "West Indian" is problematic. I dont mean to step on anyones toes, but when I learned Afri-Caribbean history and Caribbean history, I stopped referring to my culture or origins as  "West Indian". Afri-Caribbeans should replace "West Indian" with "West African" instead. Doesn't that make more sense?

Can I assume u r being sarcastic?

Columbus thought he was in the East Indies, realized the was in the West and called it the WI.

Sometimes, I wonder if it's the word West "Indian." that bothers some ppl.

If ppl have such a problem with Columbus' terminology of the region, simply call it the Caribbean.

I am pretty sure that if Columbus thought he was in Africa, but then dubbed it "West Africa," not one black person would object. (but probably a few Indians would  ;D)

Chances are if a black explorer got lost, thought he was in the East Indies but dubbed the region, WEst Indies, there would be less complaints.

I get a sentiment amongst some West Indians, that they definitely have a negative feeling towards Columb. as an over rated explorer and the person resonsible for slavery coming to the WI.

The first part of that statement is correct, the second is not. But negative sentiments can sometimes cloud people's judgement.

Post slavery, the African populus in the Caribbean have made great strides in contributing to the Caribbean and World culture: soca, Reggae, the steel pan etc.

However, again sometimes bitterness or ignorance can cloud our ideas or beliefs; eg. not acknowledging the contribution of the Roman catholics or French arsitocracy  in TT to our own Carnival, or the contributions of the Chinese, East Indias and Syrians in the last 50 years.
This can be done without minimising the obvious African influence.

I typed more than I had anticipated. However, my points above were not directed to all West Indians, but only to those that it applies to.

And it certainly was not my attempt to step on any toes.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2007, 12:23:33 PM »
Hold  on! Who were the West-Africans who influenced Trini Carnival? Were they the ones remaining in West-Africa or those who were brought here as slaves and whose cultures merged with European and Amerindian cultures (Arawak, Tainos, Caribs etc) to become Afro-Caribbean? According to what some of you said in this forum, during the Haitian Revolution thousands of slaves and their masters migrated to TnT and others follow from other French colonies. Those are the people Warlord was talking about when he said TnT's culture had no connection with the French/Haitians. He unsuccesfully tried to prove that TnT's culture is more a product of Spanish culture than anything else when some of us here were simply pointing out similarities in TnT and French cultures. And now, he's defending the influence of West-African cultures in TnT?

Before you support somebody, you may want to first find out what that person is about. Make sure you also sign the 'teeth structuring' and 'head shapes' thesis he was working on in regard to the West-Africans.  ;)

By the way, what do West-Africans have in common with Warlord? His quote, "West-Africans have more similarities with you than someone like me" So, why is he using the West-African card now. He was cornered and was just looking for a way out. You probably are smarter than he is. Don't fall for that.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:27:26 PM by Toussaint »
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

1]; } ?>