May 10, 2024, 04:11:03 AM

Author Topic: barry bonds on verge of history.  (Read 2519 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
barry bonds on verge of history.
« on: July 20, 2007, 02:46:36 PM »
Like it or not, Bonds on verge of history 
 Ken Rosenthal
FOXSports.com, Updated 2 hours ago   STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   
blog   
RSS   LIKE THIS STORY?

Well, there's no getting around it now.

Barry Bonds is going to set the all-time home-run record. He might even do it this weekend in Milwaukee, the first major-league home of Hank Aaron and the current home of — ahem — commissioner Bud Selig.
You free for dinner Saturday night, Bud?

You can take Barry to your favorite haunt, Gilles Frozen Custard Stand, right after the Brewers-Giants game on FOX (3:55 ET). You can order your usual hot dog and soda, and Barry can get his flaxseed oil to go.

So much for Bonds' 0-for-21 slump. So much for his 15-day home-run drought. So much for the notion that he might suddenly turn into Johnnie LeMaster just as he was on the verge of making history.

After failing to start in three consecutive games due to sore legs, Bonds returned to the lineup Thursday and hit home runs Nos. 752 and 753, leaving him two away from Aaron and three away from the all-time mark.

If Barry Bonds stays hot, he could break Hank Aaron's record this weekend in Milwaukee. (M. Spencer Green / Associated Press)

Bonds finished the afternoon 3-for-3 with a walk and six RBIs in the Giants' 9-8 loss to the Cubs at Wrigley Field. Both his homers came off left-handers. Both were sights to behold.

"Two absolute missiles," said a scout who was in attendance. "The wind was blowing in, and he crushed both those balls — I mean, crushed them. They went out so fast, it wasn't even funny."

So now it's on to Milwaukee, where the Giants will face right-handers Jeff Suppan, Dave Bush and Claudio Vargas. After that, they return to San Francisco for a seven-game homestand against the Braves and Marlins.

Bonds is 2-for-12 with a homer off Suppan, 1-for-6 off Bush and 3-for-7 off Vargas. But he might not play Saturday, a day game after a night game. And if he reached 755 by Sunday, he likely would sit out with the goal of breaking the record at home.

Take a deep breath, Bud — you probably don't need to worry about Good Ol' No. 25 passing Aaron in Milwaukee. But unless the BALCO grand jury delivers a sudden indictment, the deed is going to get done.

Would Selig travel to San Francisco? The best guess is still yes.

Would he linger if Bonds decided to host another party with Jay-Z — Tuesday is his 43rd birthday — or took more time off? That's where it gets trickier.

advertisement

STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   
blog   
RSS   LIKE THIS STORY?

Some suggest that Selig should ignore Bonds in protest of his, uh, unique training methods. But that's too easy an out. If Bonds used performance-enhancing drugs, so did dozens of other major leaguers, maybe hundreds.

Major League Baseball did not test players for the drugs until 2003, even though many steroids are illegal without a prescription. Selig became commissioner in Sept. 1992. The Steroid Era occurred under his watch, and it would be wrong for him to isolate Bonds by failing to be present for his achievement.

Yes, Bowie Kuhn skipped out on Aaron's 715th homer to attend a meeting of the Wahoo Club in Cleveland, but the situations are not analogous. Selig bears a special responsibility, whether he likes it or not.

There's no getting around it anymore.

Not for Bud. Not for any of us.

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: barry bonds on verge of history.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 02:48:15 PM »
he neva failed an mlb test fuh banned substances.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 09:46:26 PM »
MLB hasn't really bothered itself with performance enhancing drugs until pretty recently.

I'm curious as to how many times he's actually been tested.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 10:23:07 AM »
Bonds' historic journey too good to be true 
 Mark Kriegel
FOXSports.com, Updated 35 minutes ago   STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   
blog   
RSS   LIKE THIS STORY?

If you didn't know better, it might have been a perfect moment. The pitcher, Mike Bacsik, issued his gallant challenge with a fastball on a full count. Bacsik's father, a former big league pitcher himself, had told him to go after Barry Bonds. Don't worry about giving up the big one, he told his son.

Bacsik gave up the big one, of course. Bonds would recall his own father's advice: "Load your back leg." By now, the swing is familiar: a violent swivel of the hips and torso, bat meets ball, redirecting its path in a grand parabola. Ferocious physics. Then, the ecstatic moment, as Bonds raised his arms in triumph. He knew. Everybody knew.
The specially marked ball landed in the right field seats. The network, mercifully ignoring the scrum in the stands, kept the camera focused on Bonds. His trot around the bases was modest, uneventful. He was met at the plate by his son, Nikolai. For a long moment, they were alone at home plate. There were fireworks, brightly colored streams and bulbs exploding above them. His teammates — who seemed to have a greater sense of duty than glee — kept a respectful distance before congratulating him, one by one.

Bonds is HR King 

Soon, Willie Mays would appear, holding a microphone, trailing his godson. Then, in a stunning development, Hank Aaron came into view on a video screen. He had words of congratulation for the new home run champion. "I have been privileged to hold this record for 33 years," said Aaron, expressing the hope that "the achievement of this record will inspire others to chase their own dreams."

What controversy? Who needs a commissioner anyway? Bonds' new record was being consecrated by the two greatest living baseball players.

Now Bonds took the microphone. He thanked his teammates. He thanked his family.

"My dad," he said.

There was a clearly audible voice from the San Francisco crowd: "We love you Barry."

Bonds was already done, though. He had begun to choke up at the mention of his father. He was holding back tears.

It took him only 22 major league seasons to demonstrate his humanity.

"My dad taught me everything I know," Bonds would say later.

Fathers and sons and baseball. I wanted to cry.

But I couldn't.

I want to believe in Barry Bonds. But I can't. I don't think I'm alone, either.

It seems more prudent to save your tears for the looming indictment.

This was the shot heard round a new world. You want to believe. But you can't. You can't even trust what you see anymore. The cynics have won the day.

Recall that glorious Summer of '98. Remember the universal applause that greeted Mark McGwire's 62nd home run that season. Remember how the commissioner sanctified the evening. Would you cheer now? Hell no. Turns out what seemed too good to be true really was.

On June 5, 1986 the New York Times carried a box score with the salient details of Bonds' first home run, off a pitcher named Craig McMurtry in Atlanta's Fulton County Stadium. That day's editions also featured a small story, "School Lesson About Steroids." The brief dispatch mentions suspicions aroused when a 135-pound student at Bloomfield (N.J.) High School put on 50 pounds over the course of a semester. Syringes and a vial were found in the boys' bathroom. Students were apprised of the risks attendant with steroid use: acne, sterility, liver cancer.

Two decades later, the irony might seem obvious. But the warning went unheeded. Muscle culture became part of the sporting life. Athletes started looking like pro wrestlers, those highly skilled entertainers who die at an alarming rate. Unlike wrestling, though, sports are supposed to be real. One shouldn't have to worry about the competition's authenticity.

Of course, Major League Baseball didn't catch on to the steroid scam until it was too late. By then Mark McGwire was out of the game, and the home run totals were hopelessly tainted. Shame on Bud Selig. He should have seen it coming.

advertisement

STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   
blog   
RSS   LIKE THIS STORY?

The evidence that Barry Bonds did steroids, among other illicit substances, is overwhelming. Steroids are illegal. Steroids are cheating. And unlike so many others, Bonds — the best player of this tainted era — didn't need drugs to be great. Still, great as he is, he's human. If you could trade places with him, you might have done steroids. Baseball players weren't the only ones, of course. All the sports got big. It got to the point where even those skinny little bike riders couldn't be trusted.

What, you believe in the Tour de France?

The problem is, getting big has a price. It compromises your faith.

Now Barry Bonds has broken the most famous record in sports. It should be the perfect story: a tale of fathers and sons and baseball. It should bring a tear to your eye.

You want to believe, but you can't. Welcome to the new world.

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 11:30:52 AM »
Yeah it's a shame - it was right up the road here and I didn't even bother looking into getting a ticket. Hopefully they clean this up and the next home run king will be legit.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 12:27:16 PM »
congrats to barry. love him or hate him he's the new king.   they say the next king might be a-rod. apparently he is ahead of where bonds was at this stage of his career so we will see.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 03:03:23 PM »
Congrats to Barry!. But I must says that MLB has to take some of the blame for this whole scenario. When all the other majors sports were drug testing, they felt that they did not have to do it. They wanted to police themselves. That is why baseball was almost kicked out from the Olimpic games. They started to late. Before that every man-jack was using steroids.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 03:03:55 PM »
Congrats to Barry!. But I must says that MLB has to take some of the blame for this whole scenario. When all the other majors sports were drug testing, they felt that they did not have to do it. They wanted to police themselves. That is why baseball was almost kicked out from the Olimpic games. They started to late. Before that every man-jack was using steroids.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 04:25:10 PM »
I doh follow baseball.....but I find it real hilarious de way people was fighting for the record breakin ball in de stands

either way....yuh know barry eh go live this down too easy

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 06:40:54 AM »
Check dis

The IRS (Internal Revenue Service) gorn after de man who ketch de ball.

IRS say it is worth $600,000 and under US Income Tax laws, he is required to pay taxes (in de neighbourhood of $200,000) even though he has not realized any captial gains as yet.  :o

In Canada, he would have to pay de taxes when he sells it.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 09:15:42 AM »
on a some what related topic
Pecan, you ever read about these people out here in Victoria?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 06:11:05 PM »
on a some what related topic
Pecan, you ever read about these people out here in Victoria?

nah ... first time i hearing bout it ..

you were not taxed? were you?  :(

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 08:34:42 PM »
nah man
I so brokes
I cyar even pay attention ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 06:58:16 AM »
Congrats to Mr. Bonds.

why can't the others in MLB who we all know is on liquids, do the same?
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 06:49:07 PM »
on de radio yesterday, dey interview Ben Johnson (of 1988 Seoul fame)

Ben say is a business so he have no problems wid atheletes taking juice   ;D

1]; } ?>