May 19, 2024, 12:15:34 AM

Author Topic: Barbados vs Grenada, 1994  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Barbados vs Grenada, 1994
« on: August 12, 2006, 12:39:08 PM »
this was a very strange football match, anybody remember why??  ;D

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Barbados vs Grenada, 1994
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 04:17:35 PM »
this was a very strange football match, anybody remember why??  ;D

We had talk about dis on de forum before.

CLICK HERE for video highlights.

Here is an explanation by Mike Shor:

Which goal is mine?
In a 1994 Shell Caribbean Cup match between Barbados and Grenada, Barbados needed to win the match by two goals to advance in the tournament. If they failed, either losing the match or winning by only one goal, their opponent Grenada would advance instead.

A very poorly-conceived though well-intentioned rule governing the tournament stipulated that any goals scored in overtime (and, by virtue of a sudden-death rule, there could only be one) would count doubly. The idea was to reward teams in close matches, so that an overtime victory would be as if a team won by two goals. This simple rule led to a very strange match.

Barbados needed to win by two goals. With less than ten minutes left in the match, Barbados led by exactly two goals and began to play very defensively. In the 83rd minute, Grenada finally scored, making the score 2-1. Barbados tried to answer but, with only three minutes remaining, was unable to score. Members of the Barbados team contemplated their options. To advance, they needed either to score one more goal in the last three minutes (winning by two), or force the game to extra time where a goal would count as if they won by two. Barbados scored on their own net, tying the game at 2-2.

This is not yet the odd part of the match. The Grenada players, initial shock abating, developed their own strategy. If they could score on Barbados in the waning minutes, they would win the match and advance. But, if they could score a goal on themselves, they would lose by one goal which was still enough to advance. For two minutes, Grenada tried to score on either goal, with Barbados players split between defending their own goal and that of their opponents!

Normal time ended in a tie and the game did go to overtime, in which Barbados scored a game winner and advanced (though was eliminated from the tournament in the next round). No penalties for the players' actions in this game were handed down since both teams were earnestly trying to win their group, and the farce was the result of silly incentives.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 09:20:33 PM »
Thanks fuh de video highlights Tallman, I had never see it. Dat was really something else yes. Real jokey commentary too.  :rotfl:  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 12:13:55 AM »
ah rem that,them bajan feel they smart,they move like guyanese they.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shell Cup 1994...Funny !
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 03:17:02 PM »
Aye allyuh look Pardners back on the forum....

I just came across these links concerning the Shell Cup in 1994.  It was news to me...don't know about allyuh fellas.  I laugh too bad and wish I was there to see the final moments of that game.

http://www.snopes.com/sports/soccer/barbados.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Cup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Xm1LFyS94
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: Shell Cup 1994...Funny !
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 03:41:58 PM »
This make the rounds a couple times on the board already. A result of poorly designed CFU rules.

I remember it made World Soccer too back in the day and the Guardian Unlimited "Knowledge" feature.

FF sent us a clip of the antics in the dying minutes.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

1]; } ?>