May 15, 2024, 02:27:04 PM

Author Topic: Police tow funeral home van with body inside  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Police tow funeral home van with body inside
« on: March 13, 2010, 07:12:32 AM »
Police tow funeral home van with body inside
By Edmund DeMarche (CNN)

For one New Yorker, the journey to the Pearly Gates involved a detour to the city's car pound.

On Monday, the New York City Police Department towed an illegally parked van carrying a body. The van, parked outside Redden's Funeral Home on West 14th Street, was to transport the body to Newark for a flight.

Calls and e-mails Friday about the towing to funeral director Paul DeNigris yielded no response.

But according to the New York Daily News, DeNigris said he went inside the funeral home to get paperwork and answer a phone call. When he returned, the van was gone -- along with the body that was in a white cardboard box, the newspaper said.

"I was just a wreck," he told the newspaper. "I was frantic. When something like that happens, you go into panic mode."

DeNigris recovered the van about 90 minutes later, stuck in vehicular purgatory -- the city's pound. The police waived the towing fee, $185, to expedite the vehicle's release, said Paul Browne, deputy commissioner of public information for the police.

Police described the van as an unmarked 2002 Dodge with tinted windows. The first ticket was issued at 9:22 a.m. Three hours later, it was towed, police officials said.

Browne said DeNigris should ask himself why he left a body unattended in an unmarked van, parked illegally for nearly three hours.

"What if the van had had been stolen instead of towed?" he asked in an e-mail to CNN. "Shouldn't he or someone from the funeral home staff have stayed with the body?"

Randy McCullough, deputy director of the New York State Funeral Directors Association, said the state has no rule in place that requires signage to indicate a funeral van.

Hearses may be synonymous with funerals, but minivans and sport utility vehicles often transport bodies, too, said Jessica A. Koth, public relations manager for the National Funeral Directors Association. She called the situation in New York "exceedingly rare."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Police tow funeral home van with body inside
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 02:00:37 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl:

AirMan

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:27:17 PM »
Funny shit

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 04:47:25 PM »
some time ago I pulled into the gas station and standing there, minding my business putting gas into my car.
Gazed around and there was a corpse in the back of a station wagon. Man white as a...well you know, full suit and thing.
Then out of the station comes two funeral home-ish looking people. One slurping a slushie, the other manhandling a doughnut. Get into the wagon, cool as ever and left...
...poor me still standing there in a daze feeling like an extra in a Barnabas episode.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 04:49:38 PM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 06:24:44 PM »
some time ago I pulled into the gas station and standing there, minding my business putting gas into my car.
Gazed around and there was a corpse in the back of a station wagon. Man white as a...well you know, full suit and thing.
Then out of the station comes two funeral home-ish looking people. One slurping a slushie, the other manhandling a doughnut. Get into the wagon, cool as ever and left...
...poor me still standing there in a daze feeling like an extra in a Barnabas episode.
dem ent even put a sheet over the body :o
here day does use chevy minivan without windows or the windows real dark
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 06:27:57 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>