May 10, 2024, 02:39:25 AM

Author Topic: Guatemala keeps U-17 championship semifinal hopes alive with 3-0 win over T&T  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Guatemala keeps U-17 championship semifinal hopes alive with 3-0 win over T&T
By Ivan Orozco (CONCACAF.com)

Guatemala kept its hopes alive in advancing to the semifinals of the CONCACAF Under-17 championships with a 3-0 win against Trinidad and Tobago on Sunday.

Gabriel Navas and Kendel Herrate scored first-half goals and Gerson Lima added another in the second half to help Guatemala to four points Group B.

Guatemala’s trip to the World Cup in Nigeria was in the hands of the Mexico-Costa Rica result in the second game of a doubleheader.

Costa Rica entered the match in second place with four points behind Mexico (six) in the group standings.  The Ticos had a plus-3 goal difference as compared to zero for Guatemala.

Navas goal in the 36th minute gave Guatemala a 1-0 lead and broke a sluggish start to the match.

Jose Castillo fed Navas a filtered pass into the penalty area between defenders. That’s where Navas sent his shot into the net, catching Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper John Thomas off his line.

Castillo raked in his second assist when he sent a long rolling pass to Herrate just outside the penalty area. Herrate shook off a defender and lobbed a soft right-footed shot over Thomas, who again was caught off his line, into the net.

Herrate’s shot bounced into the Trinidad goal for a 2-0 lead. 

Lima capped the scoring for Guatemala in the 69th minute with a shot from about 38  yards.

Lima struck a loose ball with his right foot, sending it out of the reach of Thomas into the upper-left corner.

Trinidad had limited looks at goal but perhaps its clearest came in the 43rd minute when Shahdon Winchester blasted a shot from about 40 yards. Guatemala goalkeeper Eddy Garcia slapped the shot over the crossbar, holding on to his first shutout of the tournament.

Trinidad went home with three losses and having been outscored 13-0.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We can count no need 2 put d 13 we get
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
harsh lessons learnt in this tournament it seems
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

poor organization and preparation leads to harsh lessons

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Harsh lessons time will tell if we learn
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

poor organization and preparation leads to harsh lessons

Play Stern with daniel and the current defence and you will also see the lesson we learn on 6/6

truetrini

dey eh make it...CR gone thru on goal difference  Mexico 1 CR 0

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
indulge me for a moment while i take a slap at ttff.

usa ff - pinky and the brain can't carry they jock strap
mexico ff - pinky and the brain can't carry they jock strap
costa rica ff - pinky and the brain can't carry they jock strap
honduras ff - pinky and the brain can't carry they jock strap
guatemala ff - pinky and the brain can't carry they jock strap
and el salvador ff is not too far behind the top 5

ttff - technically tactically a feeble federation.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
Looks like it was really Wim last time then

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
dais one serious observation there ;)
 :thinking:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
We not ready! Our standard is about 2 levels below those teams. The only way to go is up. Keep the team together and move foward.............

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

How u figure dat out? Was it because d players did fraid him dey play 2 qualify. If dat is d case Anton u really eh learn nutten from Wim because u needed was 2 put 2 bawl on dem and we was on our way to Africa.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

How u figure dat out? Was it because d players did fraid him dey play 2 qualify. If dat is d case Anton u really eh learn nutten from Wim because u needed was 2 put 2 bawl on dem and we was on our way to Africa.

Its funny how people like truetrini aka trinity cross and ngozi does bad talk the dutch man..  the man get so frustrated with things he lash  ... i wonder why he get frustrated because he wanted things to work or  did not care :o .. .. Wim   as head coach   had only locals  so much games fell but the team looked  organized ... Pacho had all kind ah warm up  and the warriors  look so  ???
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Its funny how people like truetrini aka trinity cross and ngozi does bad talk the dutch man..  the man get so frustrated with things he lash  ... i wonder why he get frustrated because he wanted things to work or  did not care :o .. .. Wim   as head coach   had only locals  so much games fell but the team looked  organized ... Pacho had all kind ah warm up  and the warriors  look so  ???

Did u not read he diss we wit d coconut tree comment.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

ent we does bad  talk each other worse plus dem neva like him from start....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

ent we does bad  talk each other worse plus dem neva like him from start....

Is like d n word in d black community it ok for dem u use it but not d white folks. Anybody who does call a spade a spade Trinis have a problem wit we like 2 b mamaguy and mamagirl we dat dotish.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Remember when our team had qualified for Korea, some kinda thing went on in the CONCACAF where Warner changed something in the qualifying process making we play Jamaica (twice ???) to get in ?  I can't remember how it went, but we have a thread on it...somebody could find it.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Remember when our team had qualified for Korea, some kinda thing went on in the CONCACAF where Warner changed something in the qualifying process making we play Jamaica (twice ???) to get in ?  I can't remember how it went, but we have a thread on it...somebody could find it.

We lost 2 games and won 2 beat Canada and JA

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Wha de arse wrong with Wim dissing this backwater, haphazard jokey coconut tree country? We have to be honest with ourselves if we want to make progress, you have to call out the problems honestly before you can fix them. I was very happy when Wim had his outburst and stopped being patronising to the sh*t that goes on here. We need more people like him in the spotlight, to care a little more to actually call out the problems honestly. Plain talk and friggin bad manners, that is acres better than politically correct, uncaring and conniving sh*t speech.

Thank you Wim, and I wish you all the best in your life and undertakings. He'll never come back to this coconut country, just as Leo Beenhacker won't come back to this jokey haphazard place either. They're not accustomed to this sh*t like we are, it was driving them insane, I'm telling you.

We need some new leaders to rise up in this country who are polar opposite to the selfish, uncaring,haphazard, short-sighted unpatriotic, 3rd world corrupt coconut-brain leaders we have in this country right now, UNC and PNM are the damn same, and COP seems very deceitful, and like if they'll morph into the UNC once they get into power, and they're already talking crap about joining with the UNC, why? Is it because both of your parties are comprised of mostly Indians? Thats what I hate about UNC and now COP, the leaders of those parties are constantly trying to divided TnT based  on race, and stir racial disharmony. We have enough shit to fix here(read, EVERY SINGLE SYSTEM) already, we don't need them to add more problems.

Read my thread,"The solution for T&T football, and T&T as a whole!" to see a grand plan to put TnT football on par with the best, and thereby helping the country at large tremendously. Give your recommendations on plans that can change our football from the the trademarked Trinidadian haphazardness that the system has, along with every other systems here. There is hope.

Take care!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Good Day Warriors,
                                How Wim get into this bachannal?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Good Day Warriors,
                                How Wim get into this bachannal?

U c nuff peeps now like Paul on d way 2 Damascus dey c d light that Wim was not a bad coach. It is a school of thought that d reason d last under 17 reach S/Korea because Wim was around d team.

Hope it helps.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So any word from Corneal as to what was responsible for the rout in Mexico?

One thing I have noticed is that an Anton Corneal team does not change much over several years once they get picked. Vranes called Hyland, Joseph, Jamal Gay, Bentick, Trent Lougheed and Gonzales to the team, players who have or could make a big difference. I think if it were up to Anton Stephen Knox would still be his starting forward.

Maybe I am wrong in this assertion but it seems Anton has strong loyalty to his players. Or stubborn persistence with his picks even if there are better challengers for spots. Could be Anton values team chemisty above all else.

One good thing about this is that one or two of the U-17s might be drafted into the U-20 team, especially in forward positions.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
First half:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VzmKdf7c7Cs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/VzmKdf7c7Cs</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Shamless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anton Corneal and Michael McComie is two dunce. Corneal took us to the last world cup (2007) because de team was in a easier group and we got lucky, we went to the WC and got embarrass. Now we in de qualifying stage and cant score a SINGLE goal farless for winning or even drawing a match, we come dead last in de entire tournament, even Cuba did better, 13 goals scored on us and none scored.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 06:50:59 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile

One thing I have noticed is that an Anton Corneal team does not change much over several years once they get picked. Vranes called Hyland, Joseph, Jamal Gay, Bentick, Trent Lougheed and Gonzales to the team, players who have or could make a big difference. I think if it were up to Anton Stephen Knox would still be his starting forward.

Maybe I am wrong in this assertion but it seems Anton has strong loyalty to his players. Or stubborn persistence with his picks even if there are better challengers for spots. Could be Anton values team chemisty above all else.

One good thing about this is that one or two of the U-17s might be drafted into the U-20 team, especially in forward positions.

They went 13-0 remember  no goals scored   >:(

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Could be Anton values team chemisty above all else.

Good observation.  I remember he declined to select Ricky Shakes for the U 20's because he didn't want to disturb the team chemistry.

We lost every game.  That's not to say Shakes would have made a difference.  But if he's better than the players there, it's the coiaches job to play the best players and fit them in....unless the player is so disruptive that it makes it untenable to have him in the squad.  I can't say with any confidence but I'm not sure Shakes was that kind of disruptive force.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

all those guys you named  were born in 1989 so they could not have made anton 's last under 17 team of 1990 .

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

all those guys you named  were born in 1989 so they could not have made anton 's last under 17 team of 1990 .

Good info  :beermug: :beermug:

Could be Anton values team chemisty above all else.

Good observation.  I remember he declined to select Ricky Shakes for the U 20's because he didn't want to disturb the team chemistry.

We lost every game.  That's not to say Shakes would have made a difference.  But if he's better than the players there, it's the coiaches job to play the best players and fit them in....unless the player is so disruptive that it makes it untenable to have him in the squad.  I can't say with any confidence but I'm not sure Shakes was that kind of disruptive force.

You might be correct. But ent Shakes get a shake by RonLaForest U-21 side too?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
U 17 concedes 13 goals in 3 games BUT head coach Anton Corneal WILL keep his job. Only in Trinidad.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
U 17 concedes 13 goals in 3 games BUT head coach Anton Corneal WILL keep his job. Only in Trinidad.

Kingman

you sure about that ?

1]; } ?>