June 01, 2024, 04:52:40 AM

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Football / Re: 2024 First Citizens Cup Thread
« Last post by Tallman on Yesterday at 08:26:43 PM »
Defence Force coach Andrews: AC PoS could not break us down
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday)

DEFENCE Force claimed the 2024 First Citizens Knockout Cup title when they got a comprehensive 3-1 victory against AC PoS in the final at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo on Wednesday night.

A lethal hat-trick from former AC PoS striker Isaiah Leacock did the trick as the Army/Coast Guard combination sauntered to the knockout crown for the second straight season — pocketing a $100,000 prize in the process. Last season, coach Lloyd Andrews’ Defence Force team lifted the inaugural T&T Premier Football League (TTPFL) knockout title when they defeated Terminix La Horquetta Rangers by a 5-3 margin in an extra-time thriller. And against the newly crowned TTPFL champions AC PoS, Defence Force showed they are still the knockout kings as they got their third win over their rivals in the 2023/24 season.

AC PoS copped the league title with a convincing win against Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic on May 19, and they also showed off their fluency in a 4-1 First Citizens semifinal win against Prisons FC last week.

However, in the finale, AC PoS met their match and it came in the shape of their former front man Leacock. The talented striker, who lit up the TTPFL’s tier two with Harlem Strikers last season, opened the scoring with a sweet sliding volley in the 22nd minute to beat former Soca Warriors goalkeeper Marvin Phillip after receiving a cross from the left.

Leacock, who hails from Cocorite, celebrated his first goal by removing his playing jersey to pay homage the men who were the victims of a quadruple murder at Phase One, Powder Magazine on May 4.

Defence Force held a 1-0 lead at the half, and a bit of madness from Phillip saw the “Capital Boys” of AC PoS reduced to ten men soon after the interval.

In the 48th minute, after collecting a left-side Jelani Felix free kick, Phillip was shown a straight red card by referee Kwinsi Williams after flooring opposing midfielder Matthew Woo-Ling with a clothesline in the penalty area. Phillip made no fuss over his dismissal, and his replacement Jacques Poon-Lewis was comprehensively beaten from the spot by Leacock who rifled a left-footer into the top corner to make it 2-0 in the 52nd minute.

Defence Force were well in control at that point, and the final result looked like a forgone conclusion as the TTPFL champs struggled to establish the smooth and slick passing rhythm which helped them ascend to the title.

In the build-up to the game, Andrews said getting the upper hand in the middle of the park would have been key to the game’s outcome. And he definitely felt his battalion executed the game plan to a T to keep AC PoS’ crafty ball-players at bay.

“What made us successful is that we crowded them out of the centre, especially (Michel) Poon-Angeron and Duane Muckette. They started to come deep and go wide for the ball. And in doing that, it allowed us to organise defensively,” Andrews told Newsday.

“They were unable to create that magic in terms of creativity in the middle of the park. We took that away from them. They didn’t know what to do in order to break us down.

“Based on what they were doing, we were able to break them down and score some goals.”

Leacock looked like a man on a mission, and the player who answers to the alias “Bongo,” beat Poon-Lewis once more by arrowing a wicked left-footed shot into the bottom corner from outside the area in the 62nd minute. It was Leacock’s second hat-trick in back-to-back games, as he also scored three times against Central FC in a 5-0 semifinal victory for Defence Force.

It was a superb performance from the striker, who took his season’s tally to 15 goals, with six of those coming in the last two knockout matches. Painfully for AC PoS, Leacock’s first seven goals this season came with the Capital Boys at the start of the league campaign.

“Because of the mobility of Leacock and his ability to shoot the ball – he has a really good left foot – we were creating the one-on-ones and then when we played the ball into him he was able to make combination plays,” Andrews said.

The Defence Force coach marvelled at the quality of the goals scored by his striker as he said Leacock displayed great awareness and instinct in front of goal.

“You couldn’t ask for two more wonderful goals than that to win a championship.”

When asked about the possibility of an upcoming national call-up for Leacock, Andrews said, “Nothing happens before its time. He will get his time on the national team once he remains consistent. Once he has the right attitude and the right mindset, he’s going to get it.”

AC PoS got a consolation in the 72nd minute when their captain and talisman Muckette buried a penalty following a needless foul in the area by opposing skipper Jamali Garcia.

Both teams created half-chances in the dying minutes, while the tackles flew from all sides in rainy conditions.

Most importantly, at the final whistle, the Army/Coast Guard combination were able to stand tall and salute their fans after defending their knockout title.

After a slow start to the league season, which saw them eventually finishing third behind AC PoS and Miscellaneous Police FC, Andrews said his team wanted to redeem themselves and continue their Cup dominance.

“We wanted to make history. We wanted to be the first team to win the knockout competition in the TTPFL and we have (now done it twice). The guys made a little history for themselves.”

AC PoS can still hold their heads high after beating both Police and Defence Force to the league title, and they ended the campaign with a $50,000 prize for their runner-up finish in the First Citizens Cup.
Football / Re: 2026 World Cup Thread
« Last post by Tallman on Yesterday at 08:03:15 PM »
Hislop: A World Cup return for Trinidad and Tobago would be heaven
FIFA.com

Trinidad and Tobago’s lone appearance at a FIFA World Cup™ came at Germany 2006 when the Caribbean nation captured the imagination of neutrals in going toe-to-toe with European powers Sweden and England.

At the centre of it all was goalkeeper Shaka Hislop, a late injury replacement for the team’s opener against a Zlatan Ibrahimovic-led Sweden, who dazzled in goal to secure a point in his country’s first ever World Cup match.

Now, 18 years later, Hislop works as a pundit for ESPN, appearing across the company’s signature football studio show, ESPN FC, and other programming. He still keeps close tabs on football in Trinidad and Tobago and the current state of the national team, which begins qualifying on 5 June against Grenada.

Hislop spoke to FIFA about Trinidad and Tobago’s upcoming qualifying campaign, along with some cherished memories from Germany 2006.

FIFA: How are you feeling about Trinidad and Tobago going into qualifying?

Shaka Hislop: I feel as though we are getting there, and with our games against Grenada and Bahamas, we should get through those comfortably. When I say comfortably, I mean we should win those. Whether we are in a position to be beating some of the smaller Caribbean countries by four or five, as was once the expectation, I’m not sure, but I think we should win those.

What’s your assessment of the team's progress under coach Angus Eve?

I’ll put it as a work in progress. We have always been drawn to more attacking, more flair-oriented football and this team has been fairly pragmatic. That being said, my own experience in football says that if you want to build a winning team, you start with the defence, so that maybe plays into Angus’ plan and what we hope is a successful World Cup qualifying campaign.

Which current players stand out to you?

The young goalkeeper that we have, Denzil Smith, I think he’s simply outstanding. I’ve seen him play five games and I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with everything that I see from him. I think he’s an incredible talent. Without question he’s the brightest we’ve seen at that position in the last 15 years, so we have the makings of a good team with a solid defensive set that we can build from.

Would you like to see Trinidad and Tobago include heritage players?

While FIFA recognises people with grandparents who are citizens of countries as being eligible to play for that country, in local terms, unless you have a parent born in Trinidad and Tobago, you don’t qualify. That puts us behind the 8-ball in terms of at least another generation of players being eligible where maybe we could find some of that attacking talent we need. But I think there is a bigger picture to this. I think having the wider diaspora be recognised as full Trinidad and Tobago citizens has a greater knock-on effect than just sport. I think it can prove a boost to the economy in terms of people coming back and buying property, setting up businesses or investing in Trinidad and Tobago without some of those red tape hurdles that they now have to navigate.

Let’s talk a walk down memory lane. When I mention Germany 2006, what immediately comes to mind?

Just the mention of it gives me goosebumps. I played 15 years of professional football, 10 of those in the Premier League, and the summer of 2006 was easily the highlight of my career. As careers go and as things happen, there is no better way for me to walk away from the game than at that level.

10 June 2006, World Cup opener against Sweden. Kelvin Jack was slotted to start as goalkeeper, but then what happened?

I knew Kelvin was carrying an injury, but I thought he’d be able to make it. As Kelvin is warming up, he walks by me and says something and I thought he said he couldn’t make it, but I wasn’t 100-per-cent sure what he said. I focused on him as he walked up to [head coach] Leo Beenhakker. I’m about 20-25 yards away, so I’m not sure what was being said, they have a short exchange and then Leo looks at me and calls me over and asks, 'Are you ready?' and I say, 'Yeah, I’m ready for this.'

Do you ever go back and watch that Sweden game?

There isn’t a lot about the game that I remember and I avoid the highlights as much as I can… I’ve never watched the match all the way through. I’ve maybe seen bits. World Cup 2006 is still my fairy tale. I feel like if I go back and watch it all over again, all of the sudden it becomes real, and I kind of like it as a fairy tale.

You nearly got a similar result against England. What’s your recollection of that contest?

We nearly got it. It was a David Beckham cross deep into the far post and Peter Crouch got up over Brent Sancho. The way he towered over Brent, I knew something wasn’t right. Brent had competed with him all day long. He clearly has a height advantage over Brent, but Brent was really clever in how he played Peter and then all of the sudden Peter beat him easily, and so something wasn’t right…. If only we had VAR back then! (laughs) For all the people who don’t like VAR, I wish we had it in 2006. Maybe we would be telling a different story.

What would Trinidad and Tobago qualifying for the World Cup mean to you?

I would be able to go to my footballing heaven a happy man. I experienced it as a player and it was a fairy tale, it was surreal, it was every adjective you care to throw at it, but I want to go back as a fan. I last put on the colours in June 2006 and have remained a fan ever since. I would love to go experience the fan zones, mingle with fans from other countries and be able to talk about Trinidad and Tobago in the way that I see it and with the pride that I feel about home.
Football / Re: WoLF Thread.
« Last post by Tallman on Yesterday at 07:15:13 PM »
Mora elected new WoLF president
By Walter Alibery (T&T Guardian)

Letitia Mora is the new president of the Women's Football League (WoLF) in T&T.

At Wednesday's WoLF annual general meeting (AGM) and Elections at the Home of Football in Balmain, Couva, Mora led a clean sweep of the nine positions contested for her slate by beating her opponent Lyndell Hoyte-Sanchez for the position of president 11-8.

Yesterday, Mora told the media she believes her success was due mainly to the level of efficiency and competence she exhibited as the WoLF general secretary. Saying while she knew she went up against a very strong candidate in Hoyte-Sanchez, she noted that those who would have worked with her throughout the years would have had first-hand knowledge of her capabilities, and what she can bring to the table.

"I am elated to be elected as the new president after serving as the general secretary for some years now, and by extension, I am excited to work with my entire team as we have all been successful in each of our positions. So I am really excited and humbled to see what's in store for T&T Women's football in the future," Mora said after her triumph.

"So my first assignment is to have a general secretary appointed because we know how important a general secretary is in this role, and we also as an executive plan to meet with the TTFA to work with them on the way forward for women's football on the whole."

Mora's achievements were mirrored by her eight other executive members, including Carel Purcy who held off Julia Baptiste, a former Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the then T&T Professional Football League 11-8 for the position of vice president; Ikenna Joseph who prevailed over Anisa Duncan 10-9 to be the treasurer; Roxanne Herbert beating Dennis Noel 10-9 for the post of secretary admin; Brittney Williams clinching the assistant secretary operations position at the expense of Joel Warrick 10-9; Lystra Lara defeating Adrian Romain for the position of assistant secretary competitions 10-9; and Kamile De Gale prevailed over Mohan Persad 10-9 for public relations officer (PRO).

The Mora's slate also sealed the two Ordinary Members' positions through Stacy Ann Augustus and Shanice Auguste, both disposing of Howard Spencer, a former Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) executive member (10-9) and Chris Bailey (11-9), respectively.

According to Mora: "I am a solution-oriented person so as an executive we plan to meet with the stakeholders, bring them to the table basically-the Government, corporate T&T, the teams, and the TTFA so that we can work out a solution together, and the way forward for women's football and the development of women's football in T&T."

The Mora-led executive is banking on an aggressive marketing plan to take women's football on par with what they've been exposed to internationally.
What about Track & Field / Re: HOW is Tyra Gittens NOT the female AOY for TTOC?
« Last post by Deeks on Yesterday at 05:54:30 PM »
What is Tyra's situation ? Is she still around ?
« Last post by Deeks on Yesterday at 05:52:10 PM »
They don't play FA trophy anymore ?
Football / Re: Scouting for Talent Thread
« Last post by Trini _2026 on Yesterday at 12:21:03 PM »
Seen his name  kayne webber before not sure  if he is good
Football / Re: Dwight Yorke Official Thread
« Last post by congo on Yesterday at 11:31:20 AM »
This man does act as though he has white privilege. He not even english, british or european. He's just another foreign import that had an impact in the league. So many english/british/european coaches in the line ahead of him and he liking like it's not the reality of things.

I'm sure he could get a job somewhere in the caribbean or even the US mls, usl or college leagues. What really is his problem at this point? I'm sure Angus will welcome him with opencarms to coach with the national team even on a voluntary basis.
Football / Re: Scouting for Talent Thread
« Last post by Thomo on Yesterday at 02:15:28 AM »
Leroy-Kayne Webber a German born left back at Arminia Bielefeld in Germany has a TnT passport.
« Last post by Tallman on May 30, 2024, 09:58:36 PM »
Leacock’s ‘amazing’ night...Scores hat-trick as Defence Force defeats AC Port of Spain to win the First Citizens Cup
T&T Express

“Don’t give up for one more day.”

That is what Defence Force player Isaiah Leacock was thinking ahead of Wednesday night’s First Citizens Cup Knockout final against his former team, Athletic Club of Port of Spain at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

At the end of it, he was celebrating his second hat-trick in as many matches as the Army/Coast Guard combination whipped the recently crowned league champions AC PoS 3-1 to successfully defend their KO title.

Leacock opened the scoring for Defence Force in the 22nd minute after AC PoS skipper Duane Muckette gave the ball away in midfield.

Muckette, trying to clear the ball, struck it straight to Shaquille Bertrand who dribbled down the left flank before finding Matthew Woo Ling who sent in a cross to the middle of the 18-yard box where Leacock directed the ball past AC PoS keeper Marvin Phillip to put his team 1-0 up.

Defence Force were on the attack again early in the second half, with Jelani Felix taking a free-kick from just outside the penalty area which Phillip held on to with ease.

But the AC PoS custodian later lost his composure when he brought down Woo Ling by the neck, after the player ran in front of him as he tried to advance the ball down the field.

The referee had no hesitation in showing Phillip a red card, forcing AC PoS to make a few changes, with Che Benny being subbed out to bring on substitute keeper Jacques Poon-Lewis.

But Poon-Lewis couldn’t save the resulting penalty, which Leacock struck straight down the middle and into the roof of the net in the 52 minute to double the lead.

Leacock finished off the scoring for his team in the 62nd, when he struck a left-footed bullet from outside the penalty box for which Poon-Lewis had no response.

AC PoS pulled a goal back in the 72nd minute after Jamal Charles was brought down by Jamali Garcia in the penalty box with captain Duane Muckette stepping up to make it 3-1.

But the league champions couldn’t get closer as Defence Force ended the local campaign on a high, having won all three of their encounters against their rivals this season.

“The feeling is amazing and against my former team, it really feels good,” Player-of-the-Match Leacock said after the win.

“The team that put me on the market is AC Port of Spain and I just transferred over to Army to get better playing time and stuff like that,” he added.

Meanwhile, Defence Force head coach Lloyd Andrews praised the performance of his team but said the season isn’t over just yet.

“Firstly, I want to thank the Lord for keeping us healthy and giving us this victory. I want to thank the men and the Chief of Defence Staff and his team and all the staff members,” Andrews stated.

He continued: “The gameplan was to crowd them out in the middle of the park and reduce their possession to play with the ball.”

Asked what the win meant to the team after they had failed in their quest to retain the league crown, Andrews said: “We wanted to be the first to do the double”.

Asked to reflect on the season, he added: “We are still in the season because we have to play in Curacao shortly, so we want continue our preparation so when we go out there we can give a good account of ourselves for Trinidad and Tobago.”

“We just want to prepare with what we have now and go and bring glory back to Trinidad and Tobago,” he said.

For AC PoS, it was a disappointing end to the local season but technical secretary at the club, Gilbert Bateau said they will keep working.

“(It was) disappointing yes,” he said after the loss.

“We didn’t stick to the plan but credit to Defence Force because they came out and showed the hunger and that was probably the difference. We started to do it maybe too late in the game,” Bateau continued.

“That was uncharacteristic because the atmosphere in the camp during the week was good enough to prepare properly for the game but sometimes it doesn’t always go your way.

“I will say AC Port of Spain is a young team and it is not always you get to be at this level consecutively. We’ll just keep working,” he added.
Football / Re: Caribbean Queen's Football Tournament Thread
« Last post by Tallman on May 30, 2024, 09:39:20 PM »
Women Warriors edge Aruba 2-1 in Queen's Friendly
By Walter Alibery (T&T Guardian)

T&T's Women Warriors got their campaign in the Caribbean Queen's Friendly Football Tournament off to a perfect start, pulling off a come-from-behind 2-1 victory over Aruba at the Rignaal Jean Stadium in Curacao Wednesday night.

It was exactly what coach Richard Hood had been hoping for, as he expressed concerns about his players' fitness levels, coupled with a turf surface to which his charges were unaccustomed. Still, with a team stacked with youth and experienced players, the Richard Hood-coached team was competitive at the start, though the Arubans enjoyed the better of the possession earlier on.

But it was the Arubans who drew the first blood in the third minute. Aisse Gombs stormed down the left flank and found captain Soraya Verhoeve to the left of the T&T area. But though being pressured by a couple of defenders, Verhoeve still found room to unleash a thumping shot that sailed over T&T goalkeeper Mikaela Yearwood and into the back post for the 1-0 advantage.

The goal plunged the Arubans into wild celebrations which did not last too long.

A minute later Aruba custodian Bestzile Stampo committed the ultimate sin when she tried to find her defender with a feeble pass across her own goal area, but it was intercepted by striker Tori Paul who only had the privilege of firing the ball into an empty Aruba net for a 1-1 scoreline.

The teams went to the halftime interval with the scores leveled at one apiece and when they returned, Hood's charges looked more purposeful, despite uncomfortable underfoot conditions.

However, they got the winning goal in the 67th minute. Victoria Swift delivered from a right-side corner and overlapping defender Shauna Lee Govia bundled the ball inside, despite feverish attempts by the Aruba defenders to clear it.

The Women Warriors will today face Curacao in their second match of the tournament tonight at 7 pm at the same venue.

Trinidad and Tobago (4-1-4-1): 21.Mikaela Yearwood (GK); 15.Kanika Rodriguez (5.Anastasia O’Brien 78), 8.Victoria Swift (captain), 2.Shaunalee Govia, 4.Kaitlyn Darwent (3.Ariana Borneo 68); 6.Chrissy Mitchell; 7.Alexcia Ali (12.Cherina Steele 78), 10.Asha James, 14.Orielle Martin (19.Talia Martin 59), 20.Ke’die Johnson; 9.Tori Paul.

Unused substitutes: 1.Maya Figgener (GK), 11.Rasheda Archer, 13.Sonia Lamarre, 16.Hackeemar Goodridge, 17.Mariah Williams, 18.Tayeann Wylie.

Coach: Richard Hood
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1]; } ?>