May 09, 2024, 03:33:14 AM

Author Topic: Latapy signs new contract with Falkirk  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latapy signs new contract with Falkirk
« on: May 09, 2005, 12:15:40 PM »

Latapy signs new contract with Falkirk
09-May-2005
Shaun Fuentes

Scottish-based midfielder Russell Latapy has signed a new one-year contract with Falkirk which will allow him to campaign with them in the Scottish PRemier League next season after playing an integral part in their promotion.

The 36-year-old midfielder, as part of his new contract, will also be a first team coach with the club  according to reports coming out of Scotland.

Latapy had been initially offered the position of assistant coach of the T&T national senior team but with negotiations still to come through and head coach Leo Beenhakker indicating his intentions to have Latapy as a player, the former FC Porto player went through with the new contract extension.

Falkirk boss John Hughes was a happy man over Latapy's decision to extend his stay.

"Russell signed a new contract before he went back to Portugal and I am absolutely delighted to get him signed up for a further year. He is a tremendous footballer and is such an important part of our team. He still has the legs to play games in the SPL," Hughes said.

Latapy was recently named Scottish First Division "Player of the Year" as well as April "Player of the Month". Currently in Portugal tying up personal ends, Latapy finished the season with eleven goals to his name.

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy signs new contract with Falkirk
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 01:39:42 PM »
This is too close to be a coincidence.  I am thinking that the new contract was contingent on his not commiting himself to the T&T National Team in any capacity due to the amount of time he would have spent out of Falkirk.

Alright lattas, yuh pick money over your country.  That is yuh bread, can't fight you down on that one.  Good luck to you in the future and thanks for your past contribution to our football.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 06:48:48 AM »
This is too close to be a coincidence.  I am thinking that the new contract was contingent on his not commiting himself to the T&T National Team in any capacity due to the amount of time he would have spent out of Falkirk.

Alright lattas, yuh pick money over your country.  That is yuh bread, can't fight you down on that one.  Good luck to you in the future and thanks for your past contribution to our football.

de man was offered player coach for falkirk at 20,000 pounds a month!

he was offered player status for TnT at 6,000 TT ah game!

this was a very simple decision as far as i am concerned! he would be ah total asshole to chose TnT!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 06:51:39 AM »
Whey you geh dat 20k pounds figure from? Hughes eh even gettin' half dat  ???
Live large and prosper!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 07:00:33 AM »
1. Where you get them figures from Andre ? I think you are wrong.
2. And if is true, in de UK de tax is 20%, so minus 20% from that.
3. If he play for T&T and we make it to the WC he would worth much more.
4. If he had sign for T&T, he could have played until the Scottish league starts back in August, this way everybody happy, he could of give us a four game boost, and loss NOTHING.
5. I will love to see the day he regret what his decission, he dont have T&T at heart and we big him up so much.

Fuk Hem !
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 07:11:49 AM »
Whey you geh dat 20k pounds figure from? Hughes eh even gettin' half dat  ???

i heard that latas wanted TTFF to match falkirk's offer! hence de 20k figure.  He was even willing to accept a player coach from TTFF at a reduced salary but beenie said no!

By de way sam,

1. trinidad tax is 30%
2. he does not want a stop gap role in TnT
3. de offer from falkirk was not going to be there whole season!
4. de man want tuh coach!
5. falkirk play de game right and give him de first team coaching job, and i am sure dey did that just to keep him there as a player!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 07:29:56 AM »
Bro, 20k figure is to much for an inexperience assistant coach, are you crazy man. Latapy have no qualification to get that type of money and he must understand this, we needed him when Falkirk would not be playing and he said no, not like it affecting his career, he bawl he want to give back to T&T.... how ?? he shouldn't lie..

1. 30% is T&T tax ? I taught it was 15% ?
2. He have to accept a stop gap role in TnT, he dont have enough merit to keep a job like that even if we fail, most countries dont keep coaches if they fail.
3. Falkirk would have took him back in August if he had sign a short term contract with T&T for the least, trust me, they need him.
4. He have to creep before he walk, he would have learn alot from Leo and could have used this to his benefit, I feel Leo should have accepted him, but maybe Latapy wanted to much and Leo probably felt Latapy would want to do his own thing etc etc and it would have cause problems, not only with him but Nakhid too, Latapy feel like he is de best thing since slice bread, if Nakhid could accept it, then why not Latapy.
5. Latapy will be assistant and player of Falkirk senior team because they dont have a choice, they dont have the money to do/buy better.

As I said:
If he had sign for T&T, he could have played until the Scottish league starts back in August, this way everybody happy, he could of give us a four game boost, and loss NOTHING.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 07:35:01 AM by Flex »

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 07:34:18 AM »
This is de club we talkin 'bout.    

source: Scotland on Sunday

Scotland on Sunday
Sun 1 May 2005

Yogi's bairns

Moira Gordon

TEAM can be defined as either a group of people forming one side in a game, or a group of people working together. Visit a variety of football grounds and every one will have the former, but only the lucky have the latter. At Falkirk FC, they have both and that togetherness has guaranteed them Premierleague football next season.

But the ethos is hardly surprising, given the two most influential men at the club. In the boardroom, there’s chairman Campbell Christie, a man from a union background where the mantra is "one out, all out", while, in the dressing room, manager Yogi Hughes still abides by a set of working-class principles which value people over assets. No-one gets anything for nothing in the world he inhabits, and success and respect have to be earned. Which is why he works 16-hour days in the quest for constant improvement and refuses to have anyone call him gaffer.

Basking in the sunshine at the Grangemouth training ground, youngsters refer to their boss simply as Yogi. The tone may not be reverential but it is respectful, the playful salute teased out of them by the gregarious manager, mock but never mocking. At this club there are several key ingredients; team-work, hard work, mutual respect and laughter.

"I want everyone to be together and this to be a club where no-one gets to think they are better than someone else. Everyone deserves respect. I want an environment where everyone is smiling. That’s the rule at this club, ‘If you’re not smiling then get your boots and piss off!’ It’s hard enough at times and the last thing anyone needs is a miserable face looking back at them and bringing them down. The players here know there are standards and they have to meet them but you can still have fun. I love it when the place is booming with noise and the banter is flying. I never want to be manager of a club where people are scared to be the first to speak."

Scared to speak? No. Finding difficulty in getting a word in edgeways? Definitely. That’s the thing at Falkirk. The spirit of togetherness extends as far as interviews. A one-to-one with Yogi soon involves a gaggle of players, all eager to chip in, the backroom staff, the physio, the man responsible for the scouting set-up, another in charge of the young players’ education. Then there’s a female member of the office staff, one or two more players, then, heck, even the chap tarting up the paintwork outside the changing block is asked for an opinion or two. It hardly makes for succinct conversation but it does make for the kind of welcoming atmosphere the manager is striving for.

With a budget for next season’s campaign that is likely to rival only Inverness Caledonian Thistle’s, the manager knows that other perks are necessary if he is to continue eking the best out of his squad, enlist new faces and, on top of that, he is sharp enough to realise the importance of the club’s youngsters in the equation.

He’s in it for the long-haul. "If we keep things moving in the right direction, I’d love to still be manager here in ten years’ time. You never know what’s round the corner and someone might come in and offer me three times what I’m on and I’d find that hard to turn down, or I might not have what it takes, but whether it’s me or another manager here a few years down the road, they’ll have some cracking young players coming through." Hughes sees youth development, peppered with some seasoned pros, as the only way forward for a club with Falkirk’s financial shackles.

At the moment the search is on for unearthed gems. Scouring the length and breadth of Britain, the number of quality players in Falkirk’s price range isn’t plentiful but there is always the hope that there is another "diamond" like Daryll Duffy out there. "We gave him the platform to play on this year and he has been brilliant but he knows the Scottish Premierleague is the real acid test for him. But we are aware we need to freshen it up and maybe get two or three in but there is so much more required at a club than just getting players in.

"You come here and we make sure that the medical side is right, the scouting is right, the goalkeeping coaching, the fitness guy, the psychologist, if need be. We want to make all that available but you need to pay for it and that all comes out my budget and maybe we can’t do that on a full-time basis but you can still put things in place that maybe folk can come in once or twice a week. It was only five months ago that we had to hold a champagne breakfast to raise some money because we wanted new goals and new balls for training but, while the club has been fantastic and we all pull together, if we want more training kit, or if we are serious about a dugout for across at that pitch," he says pointing at one of several playing surfaces at the 35-acre training complex, "then we will have to hold a race night or something like that."

But the trimmings are important when it comes to setting standards for the players to live up to and also when it comes to luring the best young players from all over Scotland. "We don’t want to be playing second fiddle to the Old Firm or Hibs or Hearts, we want to get the best young players in here because if we get them at 11 and work with them and have them about the club by the time they are breaking into the first team, they will really care about the club. They will feel at home here and they will know what we expect from them. We have fantastic facilities here now and are one of only four or five clubs in Scotland with our own training ground, so we have to make the most of that."

At a club where football is the obvious focus, the well-being of the young players is another pulling point though. Education is a priority and all abilities and interests are catered for. Instead of lumping them all on to a generic sports course and should they fail to make the improvements on the football pitch anticipated in the younger age groups, there are safety nets in place to keep hold of them in case they are late bloomers. No-one is simply spat back out on the street.

Looking after people is vital as far as Yogi is concerned. Having grown up with people who chose the wrong route and well aware how easy it would have been for him to follow suit had he not had the positive influence of football, he is heading to Polmont Young Offenders Institute the moment the interview is wrapped up to talk to inmates and his interest in the welfare of his young charges at the club is more than just a token gesture. But it is not all bleeding hearts, he realises there is method in the madness.

"I think its also evident at a club like this that we need to get the young kids coming through. I have to say that here we do have kids coming through but the best are still two years away from being regulars for the first team. We need to nurse them but saying that, there are guys like Ryan McStay, who is in the first team at 19 and is a real football talent. There are things Ryan has to work into his game and that’s the defensive side of things but as far as pure football talent goes, he definitely one of the best I’ve seen. He’s in among the senior pros and he’s still the one pulling the strings on the training pitch!

"I think it’s so important that you introduce the kids into training with the seniors or just have them hanging about the same environment and that’s what happens here. You see me mucking about with the kids and having a laugh and joke and the reason I do that is because I want them to come out of their shell now. I don’t want them to be sitting here scared to speak. Everyone gets on together and we all eat dinner together and just sitting rubbing shoulders with guys like Alan Kernaghan, John O’Neil, Russell Latapy, has to give them a lift. Squads are so much smaller and you never know when you might have to draft one of these kids in and I don’t want them being terrified. I want them to immediately feel part of the team."

A group of people working together, Falkirk have moved up a division and they know it’s only another season of hard work and teamwork that will keep them there.

Live large and prosper!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 07:43:11 AM »
i understand what u mean sam, but i also think that de 20,000 figure has more to do with de player that they want in de squad! i believe that without latas, flakirk would still be in division one and without him in de premier league, dey will get relagated!

Falkirk playing de game tuh have de man as a player, and latas playing de game to getde job as a coach!

latas to falkirk = dwight to sydney FC

so i am sure that he makes as much as the rest of de team put together! lol

reading docs post makes it even more difficult to believe but lower league brittish clubs are accustomed to paying big salaries while running at a loss!

my source told me that latas wanted TTFF to match falkirk's offer!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 08:38:08 AM »

That is unprofessional if he is trying to get coaches wages when his role in our team is mostly as a player.
I eh care to drag this on anymore but if he was willing to play before as a player/coach and now the coach part not open, you decide you too old to play?  Interesting.  Just seems like a way to get more money than the rest of the players on the squad.

I seriously doubt the rest of the team would have liked that situation but I could be wrong....but going on the past it cause real trouble.

If his intention was just to be just an assistant coach then fine but throwing the willingness to play in the mix eh cutting it(unless his management team weren't the ones who said that).  It mean you willing to play only if the money there. 
There is no either or situation with the Falkirk coaching position if he was just a player....don't underestimate the clout he has at that club.  Big Marv stand up for we and come home as soon as he can.....he won't let anyone else dictate that for him and small fry falkirk not dictating to latas either.

Anyway, I will just leave it as a bizness negotiation that was never going to happen so small ting.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 10:14:50 AM »
Andre, first of all the cost of living in de UK is very expensive compare to T&T, so of course he will get more in order to survive, every country have a pay scale, Latapy probably de lowest paid in de premiershit.. who knows.

Secondly, yes, Latapy help Falkirk, but this is a team effort, you cannot say because of him they are in the Premiership. This is not a one man game, as T&T depended on them alone to carry the team, all man have to pull they weight and de better players must step up.

Latapy cannot expect T&T to match Falkik, he is an ass, for a no name assistant coach he asking to much, maybe if a qualified coach wanted that then ok.. but Latapy, what have he ever accomplished ? as a player and a coach. ?

You could beat 10 man, score de goal of de year, win de player of de year, beat Mexico, but if you dont accomplish anything (qualify) then all that is just good memories.... nothing more..

Fuk Hem !

No of them men have heart like Marvin.

Yorke going to Sydney as a big player, I hope he dont let down he self, he went to Blackburn and Birmingham with the same status, but one thing I have to say, he trying to help T&T and he will get props for them.

No man bigger than they country.... none.

Offline Marlon

• Sr. Warrior
  • Who the cap fit, let them wear it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 10:42:03 AM »
I realise that there is alot of bitterness because of the perception that latapy blanked tnt. but one has to look at the entire scenario leading up to latapy's decision to stay in scotland. after being offered a job, how would any of you fell if you were to read in the news that someone else is being jired to do the same job, but then you are welcomed on a different level?

the man was hired as a coach, not a player. i visited latas at falkirk in the summer last year, and he made it quite clear to me that he wants to coach tnt some day. it is not like he is turning his back. he was disrespected by the football association and the head coach.

who is paying these coaches that bk brought in?
there must have been some type of negotiations going on for them to come, so at what point did they inform russell of the developments?

we trinis like to jump to conclusions and are too quick to bash ah man, if he eh do what dey want him to do. i see first hand what de man capable ah doing, and ah downright impressed when ah see falkirk with the players that they have copping the first division on scotland.

ie: latapy is also the asst. coach of the 1st team. actually it is he that carries them through their paces on a daily basis. trust me on dat. 

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 11:14:42 AM »
Yorke going to Sydney as a big player, I hope he dont let down he self, he went to Blackburn and Birmingham with the same status, but one thing I have to say, he trying to help T&T and he will get props for them.

No man bigger than they country.... none.

Trying to help T&T Sam ? He jus trying to help heself, he trying to lift Curse! He believe that too, "Yeah boy since ah shit dem up, everything jus dive for meh"(how to say dat with a British accent, Rodney fixit up dey)....ah nex one did dive to buh he didn't realize it, it commin to come, ah go need to hear ah scottish translator...ah hope dah one didn't bounce back, cause ah gettin headaches 2 weeks now, shim :-\

Marlon, Latapy blank T&T way before Falkirk

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 11:16:39 AM »

Trying to help T&T Sam ? He jus trying to help heself, he trying to lift Curse! He believe that too, "Yeah boy since ah shit dem up, everything jus dive for meh"(how to say dat with a British accent, Rodney fixit up dey)....ah nex one did dive to buh he didn't realize it, it commin to come, ah go need to hear ah scottish translator...ah hope dah one didn't bounce back, cause ah gettin headaches 2 weeks now, shim :-\

Translation please....preferably in English...dah scottish brogue or maxgism yuh torkin dey kinda difficult to follow.  ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 11:23:52 AM »
Marlon, Latapy blank T&T way before Falkirk

If he had join this rounds it coulda be a hattrick

And is always somebody else fault.....steupse....just a lame excuse as usual.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 11:32:25 AM »

Translation please....preferably in English...dah scottish brogue or maxgism yuh torkin dey kinda difficult to follow.  ;D

People in the know will follow, if some people don't, then in that case 'Ignorance id bliss' and so man will have nuthen to worry bout, cause dey didn't know. ;D
Los, moving on, who surviving the foreign invasion?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 03:02:47 PM »
In reply to maxg

Ah reply on yuh who go survive thread
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 06:41:54 AM »

That is unprofessional if he is trying to get coaches wages when his role in our team is mostly as a player.
I eh care to drag this on anymore but if he was willing to play before as a player/coach and now the coach part not open, you decide you too old to play?  Interesting.  Just seems like a way to get more money than the rest of the players on the squad.
I seriously doubt the rest of the team would have liked that situation but I could be wrong....but going on the past it cause real trouble.
If his intention was just to be just an assistant coach then fine but throwing the willingness to play in the mix eh cutting it(unless his management team weren't the ones who said that).  It mean you willing to play only if the money there. 
There is no either or situation with the Falkirk coaching position if he was just a player....don't underestimate the clout he has at that club.  Big Marv stand up for we and come home as soon as he can.....he won't let anyone else dictate that for him and small fry falkirk not dictating to latas either. Anyway, I will just leave it as a bizness negotiation that was never going to happen so small ting.

Good Reply.....  8)

1]; } ?>