May 21, 2024, 04:10:38 PM

Author Topic: Molino embraces the Number 10.  (Read 6465 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Molino embraces the Number 10.
« on: October 16, 2014, 02:04:23 AM »
Molino embraces the Number 10.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

T&T midfielder Kevin Molino says he’s under no pressure wearing the number 10 shirt and playing the role that Russell Latapy perfected during his international career for this country.

The 24-year-old Orlando City standout has scored eight goals in 26 matches for T&T, four of those goals coming in the recent Caribbean Cup semi-finals.

When quizzed about the comparison with Latapy, Molino said he looked up the “Little Magician”.

“He’s definitely an inspiration to me as a player. I came into the national senior team under him and I’ve followed his style of play. I don’t think it’s time to compare me with him but I feel good about being able to wear the number 10 shirt and perform for my country,” Molino said.

“Every player wants to be outstanding and to score goals. I’m happy I was able to contribute to the team in this round but the bigger focus is the Finals next month and the Gold Cup next year. I think the team is showing good signs and we’re trying to get it right for the World Cup qualifiers.”

Molino was named the USL “Most Valuable Player” and took the highest goalscorer award. He won similar accolades for Orlando City last season. He will now look ahead to playing for the club in the upcoming MLS season alongside Brazilian Kaka.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Molino embraces the Number 10.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 02:54:44 AM »
Molino: “Man of the Match” no big deal.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

Kevin Molino was voted the “Man of the Match” by the Caribbean Football Union for his performance and winning goal in Tuesday’s 3-2 win over Curacao in Montego Bay to kick off the Caribbean Cup Finals.

But the Orlando City player said it was just another accolade in his career as he focuses on other things.

“It’s nice to get the Man of the Match but we have bigger things to focus on. The goal for me was just a normal piece of skill and a good finish. That is what I strive for every time I step on the pitch,” Molino said.

“In training I strive for excellence and I try to take that into the game. But we are here on a mission which is to bring the Cup back home. And the Gold Cup is the next big thing for us before the World Cup Qualifiers start. This is all preparation for World Cup campaign towards 2018.

“The squad is growing under coach Hart and once we can get the right resources and support and keep building then we will be in good shape for the qualification. I believe our chances are as good as any but we cannot sit around and just think we can do it. We have to let the football show that.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 07:15:29 AM »
Molino: “Man of the Match” no big deal.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

Kevin Molino was voted the “Man of the Match” by the Caribbean Football Union for his performance and winning goal in Tuesday’s 3-2 win over Curacao in Montego Bay to kick off the Caribbean Cup Finals.

But the Orlando City player said it was just another accolade in his career as he focuses on other things.

“It’s nice to get the Man of the Match but we have bigger things to focus on. The goal for me was just a normal piece of skill and a good finish. That is what I strive for every time I step on the pitch,” Molino said.

“In training I strive for excellence and I try to take that into the game. But we are here on a mission which is to bring the Cup back home. And the Gold Cup is the next big thing for us before the World Cup Qualifiers start. This is all preparation for World Cup campaign towards 2018.

“The squad is growing under coach Hart and once we can get the right resources and support and keep building then we will be in good shape for the qualification. I believe our chances are as good as any but we cannot sit around and just think we can do it. We have to let the football show that.”

If he quoted him, why didn't he use his exact words? What's the purpose of quoting what Molino said then?

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 07:17:39 PM »
Well Said Molino . . . lead from the middle
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 07:37:39 PM »
Without a doubt ah like Mr  Kevin Molino's attitude  ....    young  man keep doing yuh  ting   continue on your current path !!  Here's  wishing you and your  team mates the very best  all the way through  the tournament....

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 08:56:19 AM »
If we are really going to start comparing Molino to Latapy then we must see how he handle the pressure in important games. Games like this Tuesday night Caribbean Cup final

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 08:39:05 PM »
Molino been in the gym hard core over the last two years he is a lot stronger than he was a few years back million dollar legs...hoping he a kaka rip up the mls

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 07:31:14 AM »
^^ Yeah me too. Ah want to see if he will have a major impact in the MLS. I wish him continued success.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:55:25 AM »
Keep going Kevin. You're the man.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 03:02:13 AM »
Molino takes topscorer award.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA)

National team forward Kevin Molino received the top scorer award at the Caribbean Cup Finals on Tuesday night after finishing the tournament with three goals. He was tied with Jamaica’s Darren Mattocks and Haiti’s Kervens Belfort.

Molino was called up to the stage to receive the trophy during the post-game awards ceremony when Mattocks unceremoniously made his way on stage and relieved Molino of the trophy shortly after the Orlando City midfielder collected it. The awkward situation was not taken lightly by a couple CFU officials as well as the Haiti contingent on hand at the time.

Molino however saw the lighter side to it.

“To me it’s no problem if he wanted to rush to collect the trophy. It’s just a trophy anyways but I’m grateful to have won the award itself because of me scoring goals at a tournament like this was important, especially as it meant getting my country to the final and the Concacaf Gold Cup,” said Molino who also scored four goals in the previous semi-final round and now has 11 goals in 29 senior international appearances.

Commenting on the team’s performance, Molino added, “We didn’t get it right in the final but we came a long way. Playing Jamaica at home was tough because there was a lot at stake and the Jamaicans are a tough bunch in their backyard. But we are building and the team is progressing well. I think we can have a strong team for the Gold Cup and the World Cup qualifiers,” he added.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 08:04:43 AM »
Molino was called up to the stage to receive the trophy during the post-game awards ceremony when Mattocks unceremoniously made his way on stage and relieved Molino of the trophy shortly after the Orlando City midfielder collected it.

Are you serious!!!??

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »
Molino was called up to the stage to receive the trophy during the post-game awards ceremony when Mattocks unceremoniously made his way on stage and relieved Molino of the trophy shortly after the Orlando City midfielder collected it.

Are you serious!!!??

Yup, I watched it and it was rather awkward, I think Mattocks took the trophy as well. It was a 3 way tie for the most goals and they said called Molino on stage to recieve the trophy, I'm not sure what happened afterwards but it looked strange.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 11:34:41 AM »
Don't know if mattocks thought it was cute  or hip  but it was distasteful  and unsportmanlike..!! 

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 11:45:35 AM »
That is completely disrespectful.  Bad blood for the next time we play them.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 11:50:29 AM »
Molino named on All Star team
By Ian Prescott (Express).

He dribbles, he sets up teammates, and he also scores goals. Twenty-fourteen is the year when Trinidad and Tobago’s Kevin Molino emerged a Caribbean star.

The 24-year-old  Carenage-born T&T striker gained consolation of being named one of the top two strikers on the 2014 Caribbean Cup All Star team.

And Molino also had the distinction of being joint top scorer with Haiti’s Kerven Belfort and Jamaica’s Darren Mattocks, the trio having scored three goals apiece from four matches at the 2014 Caribbean Cup. Also on the All Star team was Vietnam-based T&T central defender Daneil Cyrus.

Molino might have also been named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player had Trinidad and Tobago won the penalty shootout which gave Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz their sixth regional title.

The MVP award was a toss up really between the tournament’s two outstanding players.

Just before leaving the venue, prior to the presentation ceremony, the adjudicating CONCACAF official left instructions that if hosts Jamaica eventually won the final, its outstanding captain and Leeds United midfielder Rudolph Austin would take the award. If the Soca Warriors won, then Molino would get it. It was already decided that third-placed Haiti would win the Fair Play award.

When Khaleem Hyland put T&T’s final spot kick over the bar in a 4-3 penalty shootout defeat to Jamaica, Molino’s MVP award also flew away. Molino was also deservedly named one of the tournament’s two best forwards.

The dyed blonde hair US-based Orlando City striker really caught the imagination of Jamaicans, who still talk about the prowess of Russell Latapy and his early days at Seba United, the Jamaican club. Many shouted Molino’s name whenever he touched the ball, most simply referred to him as “Trinidad’s baller”.

In two tournaments, Molino grew from being a talented attacking midfielder, who did not always protect the ball well, to becoming, arguably, the single most dangerous forward in the Caribbean. One on one, he  was almost unstoppable.

The Jamaicans tackled him in bunches, forcing him across the penalty area, rather than through it. Molino also won the praises of his T&T head coach Stephen Hart, who is amazed as his work rate. “A modern striker,” Hart describes Molino as, adding that as an attacking player, he can do everything.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:01:39 PM by Flex »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 05:11:12 PM »
Don't know if mattocks thought it was cute  or hip  but it was distasteful  and unsportmanlike..!!
this is how these yard fowls are they deal with every thing like savages. we should not be surprised, don't these people kill each other for things as simple as voting rights? in london they walk down on people and make trouble every where they go i don't know why we are surprised im not.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 05:13:34 PM »
in a way it's good for molino. he should have came out like a mad dog focused with blood in his eyes running into the box looking for the foul or anything to give him the edge then the trophy would have been all his.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 07:58:41 PM »
It should be Molino's though because he played in less matches than the other

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 08:14:07 PM »

He would have won the award outright if he had scored in the Final.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 09:46:26 PM »
I think molino should get the armband in the near future, he deserves it.

I was going to support Jamaica in copa just because they're repping the Caribbean, but after that little incident I'd rather enjoy seeing them get ripped apart. That was real immature, idiotic and just downright stupid.

On another note what happened to the old days of playing for the love of the game? Everything is money money money now, yes I understand players have bills and family to feed but take some pride especially for country. Show that you'd bleed for your country. If this money issue didn't take place right before the final, I think the results would've been different. Look at San Marino the other day when they got their first draw ever. (OK venting over)
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 10:06:06 PM »
Why Molino let him do that?  That was the perfect opportunity for a jump kick to the chest.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:14:07 PM by Peong »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 04:07:04 PM »
Kevin Molino nominated for TV6 Viewer’s Choice Sport Personality of the Year 2014
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/videos/KEVIN-MOLINO-SPORT-PERSONALITY--284702401.html
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kevin Molino: “Soccer Saved My Life”
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 03:52:56 PM »
Kevin Molino: “Soccer Saved My Life”
By Marcos Peres (orlandocitysc.com)

“To be fair, soccer saved my life. I could have been someone I didn't want to be, I could have been somewhere I didn't want to be. I’m happy soccer came into my life and I fell in love with it since the first day.” Head down, staring into infinity, Kevin Molino remembered wistfully of two brothers he lost back in his home country of Trinidad and Tobago. “I had six brothers. But two of my brothers passed away because they were in the wrong place in the wrong time. It was hard. In Trinidad is difficult. Everything can happen.”

Kevin Molino is one of the greatest strikers in American soccer today. He scored 29 goals for Orlando City in 2014. After breaking the historical record for most goals in an USL PRO Regular Season (20), he was named the league’s most valuable player. Within three months, Molino will debut in North America’s premier league, Major League Soccer (MLS). At age 24, he is already one of MLS’ most promising players even before his first game. An unbelievable accomplishment for a boy who seemed aimless 12 years ago.

“I grew up in Arima and moved to Carenage. My mother ended up coming to the U.S. to live in New York when I was 12, so it was all me and my brothers, ourselves with our father. We always lived a soccer life, playing in the neighborhood and always wanting to become someone successful. I grew up that way and at the end of the day, I just want to keep it awake and don’t forget where I came from and keep working hard to go to the next level,” said Molino

He followed his grandmother’s advice.  “I had a grandmother impassioned about sport. She always told me that the sport could take me to a different level. Soccer could make me go a long way. People that gave me positive advice, I took it very seriously. And that is the reason why I wasn’t at the wrong place at the wrong time.”

For the skinny little Kevin, the right place was anywhere, as long as he had the ball as a companion. Playing in the streets, he gained the ability that made him one of the Trinidad and Tobago National Team’s leading players in recent years, the top scorer in the Caribbean Cup Finals and the Gold Cup qualification hero.

“I grew up playing on the concrete.  You automatically adopt skills, playing with people older than you. Since I was six, I played with people that were 18, 19. I was always ahead of my age because I was playing with people older than me”, said Molino. “My mother would buy me a pair of shoes and a week or two later, I would go home with the shoes torn and take an earful, but it didn’t matter because it was what I loved. Many times I’d return late, like 9, 10 o’clock because I was playing. And the training was only from 8 to 10 in the morning. And nothing has changed. I have the same mentality now. If I get chance, I train every day, train hard every day.” 

If it wasn’t for his willingness to become a more efficient player, Molino would have never succeeded. Although skilled, Kevin did not have the physical capacity of a modern soccer player until a few months ago. 5 ft. 11 in. tall, he weighed only 120 pounds on his debut for Orlando City in 2011. Molino scored just six goals in his first three seasons for the Lions. Today, 40 pounds stronger and athletically fit, he has reached the 29 goals mark in a single season.

“When we signed Kevin, we had the ability then - because the rest of the team was strong - to put him in the team and he has been allowed to develop, make his mistakes, mature with the team”, said Orlando City’s Head Coach Adrian Heath. “The player we see now on the field and the player that came to us is just night and day but it took four years.”

To Molino, Heath’s merits on his incredible journey go far beyond that. “Adrian has helped me, making me also a better person, not just a better soccer player”, said Kevin, grateful to all who believed in him.

“I had a coach, his name was Abul.  He passed away but he used to teach me skills every Sunday, like a personal trainer, working on my skills, and I was like ‘Why is he working me so hard?’ and at the end of the day I just want to take my hat off to him and say thank you. He passed away, but I just want to take the time off to say thank you.”

Mere weeks from exchanging passes with one of the greatest soccer players of our time, the Brazilian and global superstar Kaká in the historic Orlando City MLS debut season, Molino is the symbol of the Lions’ winning culture, forged with passion and many goals. "I like to play attractive football. This is my goal. Let’s have fun, not just add goals to my game,” said the attacking midfielder. “I'm very proud to have reached where I am, but I'm not satisfied. I want to get to another level. I love Orlando, I love the club and everything else here. But what I want is to play at the highest possible level.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »

Hard to imagine that the competition rules doesn't cover situations where players are tied on goal in terms of how the final winner should be selected. In my very biased assessment (I'm Jamaican), I believe it should go to the player on the winning team. If T&T had won the tournament, I believe it would have been fair for Molino to be awarded the trophy. Jamaica won, so Mattocks should get it. The Haitian guy who also finished on same number of goals as Mattocks and Molino..no one talking about him...rightfully so since his team didn't make he final. by that logic....you know what I mean.

EDIT:
It's Molin"o" not Molina.  :pissedoff:
The process needs to be clearly defined in the competition rules.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:51:58 PM by SWO_TNTFAN »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 06:32:56 PM »

Hard to imagine that the competition rules doesn't cover situations where players are tied on goal in terms of how the final winner should be selected. In my very biased assessment (I'm Jamaican), I believe it should go to the player on the winning team. If T&T had won the tournament, I believe it would have been fair for Molina to be awarded the trophy. Jamaica won, so Mattocks should get it. The Haitian guy who also finished on same number of goals as Mattocks and Molina..no one talking about him...rightfully so since his team didn't make he final. by that logic....you know what I mean.

The process needs to be clearly defined in the competition rules.

So what's your perspective regarding, say ... the WC? Because the winner of the award doesn't always come from the winning team.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 06:51:52 PM »
Happy fuh him. Saw KM chilling at his base and let him know that his efforts are appreciated. However, this is just the beginning ... not the end.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:00:22 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 05:30:34 AM »
So what's your perspective regarding, say ... the WC? Because the winner of the award doesn't always come from the winning team.

I'd imagine if Naymar scored six goals to lead Brazil to a world cup triumph on home soil, and he is tied on goals with Clint Dempsey of the USA, who got knocked out in the earlier rounds...I would expect that Neymar and not Dempsey would be awarded the golden boot. Seems logical, no?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 10:46:15 AM »

I'd imagine if Naymar scored six goals to lead Brazil to a world cup triumph on home soil, and he is tied on goals with Clint Dempsey of the USA, who got knocked out in the earlier rounds...I would expect that Neymar and not Dempsey would be awarded the golden boot. Seems logical, no?

At times,  the selection can be arbitrary. Other factors may be involved. Take the case of Leroy Deleon who  won  the   1969  Concacaf  nation cup  MVP . TT came in 2nd to last. Costa Rica won it on home soil. He did not score the most goals either. Where is the logic in that. And the Concacaf tournament in TT in 1971 was the same thing. Mexico won it, but Phillip Vorbe from Haiti won the MVP. 1973 Everald Cummings was the MVP, but Steve David was the top scorer. Haiti won it. In football many times emotion trumps logic and rational.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:49:49 AM by Deeks »

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »
At times,  the selection can be arbitrary. Other factors may be involved. Take the case of Leroy Deleon who  won  the   1969  Concacaf  nation cup  MVP . TT came in 2nd to last. Costa Rica won it on home soil. He did not score the most goals either. Where is the logic in that. And the Concacaf tournament in TT in 1971 was the same thing. Mexico won it, but Phillip Vorbe from Haiti won the MVP. 1973 Everald Cummings was the MVP, but Steve David was the top scorer. Haiti won it. In football many times emotion trumps logic and rational.

You are confusing MVP with golden boot winner, I think.  Golden boot is awarded to the highest goal scorer... two different awards although not mutually exclusive.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 06:18:08 PM »
It should be a tie!

1]; } ?>