May 16, 2024, 06:19:34 PM

Author Topic: The Class of Portugal 1991 - Our 1st World Cup Team  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Class of Portugal 1991 - Our 1st World Cup Team
« on: December 21, 2005, 11:55:12 AM »
what happened to most of these guys?

what i know:

dwight yorke - went on to grand things
clayton ince - coventry city
richard theodore - deceased
jerren nixon - german 3rd (?) division
angus eve - jabolteh player/coach

source: http://www.fifa.com/documents/static/development/WYC_91_TR_part3.pdf

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: The Class of Portugal 1991 - Our 1st World Cup Team
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 11:59:13 AM »
That is a real blast from the past there boy.

I watching that and saying that McComie looking like a small man and then I realize that Boney making the entire back row lok like midgets.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 12:16:21 PM »
YEAH I KNOW THAT bONEY IS PLAYING IN THE INDOOR LEAGUE IN THE US FOR TEH PHILLY KIX.
All American

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 12:44:24 PM »
The best players on that team besides Yorke were Anthony Sherwood & Glenn Benjamin. 

Anthony Sherwood (Presentation College, San Fernando), a player whose skill and insight matched Latapy, broke his leg upon scoring a goal on a malicious "red-card" foul against St. Kitts/Nevis (or St. Vincent & the Grenadines) in 1989, and was never the same player since then.  The ejected player, viciously tackled Sherwood from behind, slamming him into the goalpost.  In attendance in that game, was a representative from an EPL team, intent on signing the prospect.  Apart from Dwight Yorke, Anthony Sherwood was the only other "youth" player that was a member of the "Strike Squad" team of 1989. 

Glenn Benjamin (St. Benedicts), played for the Univ of Alabama (Mobile), and made some appearances for the senior T&T team in the early 1990s.  He also played A-League ball (New Orleans Gamblers etc) in the US.  He’s currently coaching in the US, and apparently is again being looked at by scouts for A-League teams.         
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 12:51:20 PM by fidel2xl »
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 12:51:19 PM »
The best players on that team besides Yorke were Anthony Sherwood & Glenn Benjamin. 

Anthony Sherwood (Presentation College, San Fernando), a player whose skill and insight matched Latapy, broke his leg upon scoring a goal on a malicious "red-card" foul against St. Kitts/Nevis (or St. Vincent & the Grenadines) in 1989, and was never the same player since then.  The ejected player, viciously tackled Sherwood from behind, slamming him into the goalpost.  In attendance in that game, was a representative from an EPL team, intent on signing the prospect.  Apart from Dwight Yorke, Anthony Sherwood was the only other "youth" player that was a member of the "Strike Squad" team of 1989. 

Glenn Benjamin (St. Benedicts), played for the Univ of Alabama (Mobile), and made some appearances for the senior T&T team in the early 1990s.  He also played for A League ball (New Orleans Gamblers etc) in the US.  He’s currently coaching in the US, and apparently is again being looked at by scouts for A-League teams.         

you forgetting about Papa boy.  Kerwyn Emmanuel was a boss.  Last I see him he was in Brooklyn just chillin.  That man coulda drink rum boy!

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 12:52:41 PM »

Glenn Benjamin (St. Benedicts), played for the Univ of Alabama (Mobile), and made some appearances for the senior T&T team in the early 1990s.  He also played for A League ball (New Orleans Gamblers etc) in the US.  He’s currently coaching in the US, and apparently is again being looked at by scouts for A-League teams.         

you forgetting about Papa boy.  Kerwyn Emmanuel was a boss.  Last I see him he was in Brooklyn just chillin.  That man coulda drink rum boy!

Tru dat... :rotfl:
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 12:54:06 PM »
boy Sherwood was a general til his leg mash up
real real sad
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 01:05:30 PM »
I see Boney in ah party the other day
the man is ah monster yes
me eh want he tackle me nuh cause it look like it go end bad

Més que un club.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 01:13:16 PM »
Michael McComie: Played for the senior team. He now coaches Joe Public.

Richard Theodore: Played for the senior team. Suffered severe injuries to his head and spine after falling off a tree at St Peter’s Day celebrations in Carenage on June 29, 1997. Died March 6th, 2004 following a bout of fever.

Angus Eve: T&T's most capped (117) player. Played for Chester City of the English 3rd division in 1999. Now a player/coach with San Juan Jabloteh.

Shawn Boney: Played for the senior team as well as Southern Connecticut State University. Drafted by the LA Galaxy in 1997. Now plays for the Philadelphia Kixx in the Major Indoor Soccer League.

Anthony Sherwood: Played for Davis & Elkins College, Virginia Commonwealth University, Hampton Roads Hurricanes (USISL), Dallas Sidekicks (MISL). Now an Admissions Counselor for Virginia Commonwealth University. He also coaches children in Richmond and plays for X-Rams in Central Virginia Soccer Association's Premier Division.

Kirk Trotman: Played for University of Mobile.

Glen Benjamin: Played for the senior team as well as the New Orleans Storm and Charleston Battery in the A-League. He's a coach now at University of Mobile.

Jerren Nixon: Caribbean Footballer of the Year in 1997. Scottish Cup winner’s medal with Dundee United in 1994. Played with Yverdon, St. Gallen and FC Zürich in Sweden. Now plays with North East Stars.

Dean Pacheco: Played for the senior team. Currently plays for Defence Force.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 01:46:57 PM »
tallman yuh forget me

MORVANTMAN : played fuh nuff small goal leagues. won the troy competition on de ice, won the dwarika street league down lavantille, church league in morvant and beat daybreake in the stadium, second place in the church league on st paul street in de quarry, second in the u-16 schools league.

HIGHLIGHTS:
spanner ah ref on fatime grounds, hit grovsner favourite defender ah spanner in front he face and laff at him, once crowned king of the horses graveyard aka tamari field

talk done ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 02:04:42 PM »
tallman yuh forget me

MORVANTMAN : played fuh nuff small goal leagues. won the troy competition on de ice, won the dwarika street league down lavantille, church league in morvant and beat daybreake in the stadium, second place in the church league on st paul street in de quarry, second in the u-16 schools league.

HIGHLIGHTS:
spanner ah ref on fatime grounds, hit grovsner favourite defender ah spanner in front he face and laff at him, once crowned king of the horses graveyard aka tamari field

talk done ;D

Morvantman is not one to Blow his horn but..............TOOOTT TOOOOOT

Més que un club.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 09:22:11 PM »

Thanks very much for that Andre.  Some time ago I was looking for that kind of info, but gave up after a futile search.     Another  one of those  things that I like about the site: .... . 

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 07:53:44 AM »

Thanks very much for that Andre.  Some time ago I was looking for that kind of info, but gave up after a futile search.     Another  one of those  things that I like about the site: .... . 

no prob man. just the results of one of my daily random football thoughts.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 12:31:18 PM »

you forgetting about Papa boy. Kerwyn Emmanuel was a boss. Last I see him he was in Brooklyn just chillin. That man coulda drink rum boy!

Boss Papa skill level was top up.  Was with him at Docs Kewalas in 1999.   He disposition could be interpreted wrongly by a forgeign coach though; as someone not being serious.  I bounced him up in Brooklyn a few years ago.  Haven't seen him since.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 12:39:43 PM »
Boss Papa skill level was top up.  Was with him at Docs Kewalas in 1999.   He disposition could be interpreted wrongly by a forgeign coach though; as someone not being serious.  I bounced him up in Brooklyn a few years ago.  Haven't seen him since.

I eh quite understand dah one.  If a foreign coach might wrongly interpret his disposition, by definition that means a local coach would correctly interpret it.  In which case, seeing that we had numerous local coaches for the T&T national team, and given Papa's relatively miniscule appearances for T&T's senior team, it must be that...

1 - He really wasn't very good and/or serious

2 - The local coaches weren't really local but foreign in disguise

3 - His disposition or lack thereof had absolutely nothing to do with his footballing ability.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 09:27:12 PM »
Papa living in Houston, TX.

Trotty lives in Seattle, WA after the New Orleans debacle.

Nigel Davidson lives in New Orleans

Granville "Kaye" Millington was living in England, I do believe he lives in trini today.

As for  the others I really don't know.

I would like to know where Roger Henry, Dale Boucher and Hayden James are.  Rpger Henry was a very intelligent defender, especially when he played for St. Augustine.

Arimian to meh heart

1]; } ?>