May 13, 2024, 12:58:13 AM

Author Topic: Atiba Charles joins Fitzpatrick at Rochester Rhinos  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Atiba Charles joins Fitzpatrick at Rochester Rhinos
« on: April 17, 2008, 05:38:16 AM »
Rhinos add international experience
oursportscentral.com

Rochester Rhinos President and General Manager Matthew Ford announced today that the club has signed Trinidad and Tobago Defender David Atiba Charles to the roster along with Ecuadorian defender/midfielder Juan Pablo Reyes and Canadian forward Evan Milward. All contracts are subject to USL and USSF approval. "We've had a busy week of signings and transfers and we're delighted to bring such talent on board," said Ford. "Atiba will be a great presence in the back with his pace and experience."

Atiba joins Rochester with 23 full international caps and was part of the 2006 Trinidad and Tobago World Cup Squad. The 30 year old 6'2 central defender played most recently with W-Connection in the T&T First Division and spent the 2006-7 season with Glenavon in the Irish Premier League. Atiba will add strength and depth to an already stable central defensive unit that includes Palguta, Bonseu and Loera.

Juan Pablo (JP) Reyes comes to Rochester having spent the MISL season with the Orlando Sharks. On a recommendation from former Rhino and Shark player Bill Sedgewick, JP Reyes was invited in to pre -season camp with the Rhinos and impressed the coaching staff. "JP has played very well and his overall skill, quick feet and agility make him a very versatile player and a good asset for us," said Head Coach Darren Tilley.

Evan Milward will wear the Rhinos uniform in 2008 after playing for Toronto FC reserves in 2007. Milward is a University of Toronto product who most recently played in the Canadian Soccer League for the Canadian Lions. The quick and agile forward has impressed Tilley in the pre season games to date. "Evan is very quick and can be a great danger to any offense. He works hard and makes things happen out there. He's an exciting talent and he may surprise people this year," noted Tilley on the third of the Rhinos signings this week.

Reyes and Milward are expected to be in action this week as the Rhinos continue their pre-season campaign. Atiba will join the Rhinos the week of April 21st once his international clearance and transfer are complete.

Neither Reyes (US/Green Card Resident) or Milward (Canada) will count towards the Foreign Quota' of six players allowed on the roster. David Atiba Charles, Alfonso Loera, Hamed Diallo, Ze Roberto, Maurico Salles and Steve Guppy make up the foreign spots for the Rhinos. The Rhinos begin their 13th season on Friday, May 2nd at 7:30 p.m. in Charleston, SC, as they take on the two-time USL-1 champion Charleston Battery at Blackbaud Stadium. Rochester opens its 2008 home slate at PAETEC Park on Saturday, May 17th against Charleston at 7:35 p.m.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Re: Atiba Charles joins Fitzpatrick at Rochester Rhinos
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 05:43:25 AM »
This is nice
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 11:59:17 AM »
Great news ...how come this guy isn't being given a chance with the national team wasn't he in the world cup team as well?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 12:56:42 PM »
Great news ...how come this guy isn't being given a chance with the national team wasn't he in the world cup team as well?
Selective blacklist...mainly against the foreign-based WC vets.

Good news....sounds like MLF Sports doing a good job of promoting their players.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »
Evan is ah fete-match champion with ah agent. TI, hook up he agent for yuh boy.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 02:05:50 PM »
Charles more than had his fair chance at making a TT first XI.

Is just the man used to make some real bad mistake and his better performances never outweighed the negative ones.

He had some beat in him and play wingback once or twice.

But I am a kinda halfway fan of him. I think he competent enough.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 02:10:51 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 02:14:41 PM »
Evan is ah fete-match champion with ah agent. TI, hook up he agent for yuh boy.

His agent is already representing Hardest...they're the ones who organized the tryouts in Sweden for him.

http://www.mlfsports.com/Kerwinjemmott.php

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 02:17:56 PM »
I'm a halfway fan myself I think he's a confidence player. I thought he did well against Mexico in Mexico but looked scared against the US in the US ...I feel if a coach could bring it out in him I think he could be an excellent defender he's actually more blessed than alot of our previous defenders in terms of athleticism pace and strength I think only Cyd might have been faster ... his mindset might need improving though.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »
Since dat bad game he had against de USA in Connecticut, he hasn't been able to get any regular play.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 11:57:11 AM »
Rhinos field mostly veteran team entering this season - DemocratandChronicle.com

Leslie "Tiger" Fitzpatrick. The 29-year-old is expected to be the defensive midfield general ex-Rhinos coach Laurie Calloway's clubs didn't have the past three years. He has played in Puerto Rico and Atlanta in the USL and with Real Salt Lake in MLS.

"He likes to tackle. He's tenacious and he's got a gorgeous left foot to change the point of attack," Tilley said. "His organizational skills are good, as well."

David "Atiba" Charles. The 30-year-old is the other half of Rochester's new Trinidad & Tobago tandem with Fitzpatrick. They grew up playing together. The 6-foot-2 "Atiba," as he likes to be called, brings blazing speed to central defense. He played in the 2006 World Cup.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 06:45:13 PM »
Congrats if he was not a defender I would have said no way jose but d defence need all d help it can get
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Atiba Charles released by the Rochester Rhinos
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 01:58:50 PM »
Menyongar adds to Open Cup success
Charles released: The Rhinos signed Atiba Charles in the preseason with the hope that the Trinidad & Tobago native could solidify their back line, but they've released the 30-year-old defender because of hip injury.

"Since he signed we discovered he had a very serious hip injury that has been fully diagnosed and we're moving in a different direction," Rhinos President Matt Ford said.

Charles, who played in the 2006 World Cup, started five times but he left the May 17 home opener in the second half and hasn't played since. His release prompted Rochester to sign Ross Smith, 27, a Scottish-Canadian center back who is expected to receive his international clearance by July 15.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 10:18:40 PM »
LAWD FADDER D man cyah gget a break
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>