May 14, 2024, 08:11:07 PM

Author Topic: Arsenal want young Caribbean star.  (Read 15280 times)

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
Re: Arsenal want young Caribbean star.
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2007, 08:06:22 PM »
lookin good for de future ;)
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline Papachunks

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2007, 08:28:08 PM »
Anybody knows or could mention on what Peltier style is like ?

HE more a physical striker, or plenty touches ?

watch  him play in this match
in the link  he wearing number 6

http://www.ttproleague.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=319&Itemid=109

thanks boss....

i find that marcano boy looking decent on de field. If that is him in the short ras midfield.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2007, 09:11:35 PM »
Arhmmm............i think REAL people overlook something else dat kinda interesting too............
In related news, Jabloteh and T&T World Cup team midfielder Aurtis Whitley departs here on Thursday for Vietnam where he will link up with Hoang Anh Gia Lai (HAGL). Whitley has a contract awaiting him and will spend a few days to see whether he fancies the conditions. HAGL recently teamed up with Arsenal. The partnership will see Arsenal and HAGL share training resources and establish Arsenal's presence in the South East Asian region.

Buh Peltier...if arsenal want yuh...take it. Doh worry bout bench...yuh go work hard and get yuh chance. The training yuh go get could hardly be matched anywhere ih the world.

He added that Milwall arrives in Tobago on March 22 for a mini-tournament from March 24-28 with Jabloteh and Tobago United. Ajax Amsterdam had to pull out due to the dates but have made a commitment to appear in the future.

“We are looking for another team possibly a T&T youth team and we are going to call it the CLICO Cup and this is planned to take place for the next few years,” Fenwick said.

Colonden Reef in Tobago, owned by an Englishman and M&M Business management headed by Steve Davies are among those supporting the upcoming Cup tournament.

Being in Tobago this is of interest to me. Me eh hear nutten 'bout this tournament Is top secret or wha'? Dey musbe playin' behind closed doors ??? ???
Live large and prosper!

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2007, 09:13:35 PM »
Peltier feeling the cold before Bluebirds bowMar 12 2007

By South Wales Echo

Lester Peltier, a teenage midfield player from Trinidad and Tobago, makes his Cardiff City debut today.

The 18-year-old from San Juan Tabloteh FC is in his second week on trial at Ninian Park and is due to play against Hereford United in a private friendly at Edgar Street today.

Peltier sat in the directors' box for the Norwich game and said: 'It's good at Cardiff City, but the weather is cold. I am finding that difficult.'

He is one of a number of trialists playing against Hereford - and Arsenal scouts will also be watching.

Peltier had two days training with Arsenal's youth team at their North Coney training ground in London and Cardiff-based agent Paul Mohamed said: 'Cardiff seem keen on Lester, while Arsenal had scouts at Hereford today.'

Polish teenager Jacob Kubrala, who also spent two weeks on trial with the Bluebirds, will not be involved at Hereford today.

He has returned to Poland, although the 6ft 2ins striker could yet return for next season.

Cardiff City have a Pontin's Combination reserve team home match on Wednesday, against Yeovil Town at home. That match will be at Jenner Park, Barry (2pm).

Warrior For Life !!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2007, 09:28:53 PM »
News sounding like when Aston Villa come down and spot Dwight
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2007, 08:15:24 AM »
where does it say that Arsenal wants this player ?

NOWHERE.
There also isn't a  shred of evidence that he is doing well or they remotely interested.

Not here at least.  Best of luck to him but I hope this not setting it up to make it look like a big rejection.

Well if they are I hope they sign him, good luck to him.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2007, 09:08:52 AM »
So Carib-Briton, any talk on the arsenal forums?
Any talk at all?

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2007, 09:54:42 AM »
PELTIER IN BETWEEN CARDIFF AND ARSENAL 
 “This by extension will be a great boost for football in Trinidad and Tobago. This is what the club is about. We have thought long and hard about football in this country and the benefits and we have decided to go the way of developing the younger players and trying to boost the country’s football,” Fenwick said.

what wrong with this picture

To me this statement stood out. Not sure if the best way to boost the country's football is to export all the best talent and that's it. It would appear that good footballers cannot be developed in TNT, and the PFL, of which Fenwick is a big time coach is totally secondary. I think when "they" were thinking long and hard it was more about the benefits to them and nothing else.

As I said in an earlier post, I suspect there is no such thing as a professional football league in TNT. Just a bunch of clubs companies trying to make money by selling players.
Maybe you didn't take notice that African countries are getting better and better. Do you think that has anything to do with players playing at a higher level? Do you notice a difference between the National team with and without the European players?

Bredren, European clubs are getting the benefits of well structured and highly organized youth programs and academies in Africa. Africa is producing superb individual talents all by their lonesome (is that hard for you to believe)?, and their youth teams are extremely competitive. European clubs are NOT developing Africa's youth.
There is a difference between local and foreign based players, yes, but these foreign based players started right in TNT, and their talents got them into European clubs.

Again, how can sending all our best players to European Clubs develop football locally?

If during the height of the cold war all the top engineers left the US and went to Russia?............yuh get my point?

The same will apply to any country and any discipline.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:04:50 AM by Socafan »
Two islands are better than one.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2007, 12:37:56 PM »

Have u ever lived abroad?

When I first moved to Canada, Canadians with Trini roots made it easier for me, and made me feel less like a foreigner. They understood my culture, and could relate to me on a number of topics, ie. food, music, dialect etc.

VB

What is de difference between Hoyte and Birchall?

Would u be saying the same thing if had gone to Port Vale one year ago? (before Birchall's entrance to the national team).  My point is that the fact that the Hoytes have trini roots does not automatically mean that it will be easier for him in terms of settling down.

The question should be.......are the Hoyte in tune with trini culture?  The fact that they have not the slightest interest in playing for Trinidad can help answer this question.

I understand the point that u want to make, but i would like to disagree in this case.  This is not a case of a Trini-American or Trini-Canadian, this is the case of a couple of boys who are strictly English and see themselves as nothing else.

ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2007, 12:40:55 PM »
The question should be.......are the Hoyte in tune with trini culture?  The fact that they have not the slightest interest in playing for Trinidad can help answer this question.

Thats not sound reasoning andre come again  :devil:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2007, 01:33:57 PM »

Thats not sound reasoning andre come again  :devil:

Andre, I can't back you on this at all. In fact, when you go abroad, anyone with West Indian roots can make you feel much more comfortable, when I was abroad, working with Dutch, Pakistani and Canadians at a firm, it was a Jamaican who made me feel more comfortable.

My parents are Vincy, I consider myself 1000% trini, yet if I was to bounce a Vincy, I'm sure they'll feel prety comfortable around me because I would definitely be able to relate to them.

Also, we have to look at the other side of the coin, if I was good in some sport, would I want to represent SVG instead of T&T, no I wouldn't and it's not because my parents didn't instil any love for their country, it's just that T&T is where I was born and raised and its what I know and love. We can't come down on men or judge because of what they chose.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2007, 01:42:16 PM »
I understand the point you are making jayerson.......but what is the difference between Birchall and Hoyte?

I am not coming down on these guys because they are well within their right to play for their country of birth, but my point is that we cannot assume that things might be easier unless we know the value they attach to their trini roots.  Birchal also had trini roots and he would not have made it culturally easier for anyone if they met him before he played for Trinidad and THIS is my point!!

Are you saying that because they are black they would make it easier?

Just asking!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2007, 01:47:29 PM »

When I first moved to Canada, Canadians with Trini roots made it easier for me, and made me feel less like a foreigner. They understood my culture, and could relate to me on a number of topics, ie. food, music, dialect etc.

VB

VB, I see understand where you are coming from, I had people thank me for the same reasons. One time even managed to bump into a young Trinidadian over here, ( have help others who come over for uni as well) I showed him everthing he needs before he didn't even know where to go to get a hair cut let along find Quashie Roti hut or and or how to get updates on latest  fetes, music, passport renewal etc. I might not be able to relate to them (Caribbean Raised) as in spending and entire childhood in the Caribbean but there was/are alot of other things I could relate and help out people. What what all of them did like is that I didn't ask them if they had running water back home, is everyone a gangster where you live or did you live like the people on the malibu ad ::)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 02:00:31 PM by Carib-briton »

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2007, 02:18:13 PM »
I understand the point you are making jayerson.......but what is the difference between Birchall and Hoyte?

I am not coming down on these guys because they are well within their right to play for their country of birth, but my point is that we cannot assume that things might be easier unless we know the value they attach to their trini roots.  Birchal also had trini roots and he would not have made it culturally easier for anyone if they met him before he played for Trinidad and THIS is my point!!

Just asking!

Personally, I don't see why a writer would put in that bit in the article about them having Trini roots making it easier or whatever, that's why I haven't commented on this story because I find it hard to believe.

Anyway, I'm not saying because they're black it would make it easier and I hope you're not saying because Birchall's white he may not be able to relate to Trinis. However it does make it easier if you have Trini roots that you express as a person that it would make it easier. The degree of the Hoyte's 'Trininess' can only be speculated upon at this point, I don't know them. But saying that they don't express any 'Trininess' because they decided to play for the country of their birth is unfair.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2007, 02:20:08 PM »

Just asking!

Personally, I don't see why a writer would put in that bit in the article about them having Trini roots making it easier or whatever, that's why I haven't commented on this story because I find it hard to believe.

Anyway, I'm not saying because they're black it would make it easier and I hope you're not saying because Birchall's white he may not be able to relate to Trinis. However it does make it easier if you have Trini roots that you express as a person that it would make it easier. The degree of the Hoyte's 'Trininess' can only be speculated upon at this point, I don't know them. But saying that they don't express any 'Trininess' because they decided to play for the country of their birth is unfair.

REAL TALK

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2007, 02:34:40 PM »

This is not a case of a Trini-American or Trini-Canadian, this is the case of a couple of boys who are strictly English and see themselves as nothing else.

That sounds like some serious speculation posing as fact.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2007, 05:20:37 PM »
you meet them ah wha

no triniman, but i have a brain to pick sense from nonsense!!

Please tell me how they going to make it easier for him due to their "Trini" roots.

well they may relate to him better , make him feel more at home at the club he can integrate better  is  what they talking about..  

explain how dey relating to him better!!

lol.............some ah alyuh just like tuh talk!

VB

forget Samuel vb he would not understand people like me and you experience it already and know what we talking about... I giving hypothetical  scenario and he try to make shit talk about it.
again you dont know how it is to be a newbie  in  a country wey yuh eh know a damm sole

Well said Triniman, ah experience dat many years ago tuh an extent, when ah first came came tuh New York. Ah had a few family members there, but still a newbie is ah new newbie. The fact dat you left your friends, loved ones and culture back in T&T, trust meh in de beginning dat is real real pressure. Fuh who don't know, when yuh in dem situation is then yuh does see how tuff you are, and how much yuh really want tuh achieve yuh goals. People don't know meh boi, what you said is so true, I've seen and heard of grown people cry tuh go back home and they threw away great opportunities fuh education and sports. Dat is why when our players go abroad, dey have tuh deal wid all dat I just listed, and de cold cold weather fuh training and games. These players we must love and appreciate what dey are doing, people like Yorke, Lattapy, Stern, Edwards, Lawrence, Sancho, Jones, Marvin, Scotland, just tuh name ah few. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 08:12:05 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2007, 05:27:10 PM »
 “This by extension will be a great boost for football in Trinidad and Tobago. This is what the club is about. We have thought long and hard about football in this country and the benefits and we have decided to go the way of developing the younger players and trying to boost the country’s football,” Fenwick said.

To me this statement stood out. Not sure if the best way to boost the country's football is to export all the best talent and that's it. It would appear that good footballers cannot be developed in TNT, and the PFL, of which Fenwick is a big time coach is totally secondary. I think when "they" were thinking long and hard it was more about the benefits to them and nothing else.

As I said in an earlier post, I suspect there is no such thing as a professional football league in TNT. Just a bunch of clubs companies trying to make money by selling players.
Maybe you didn't take notice that African countries are getting better and better. Do you think that has anything to do with players playing at a higher level? Do you notice a difference between the National team with and without the European players?

Bredren, European clubs are getting the benefits of well structured and highly organized youth programs and academies in Africa. Africa is producing superb individual talents all by their lonesome (is that hard for you to believe)?, and their youth teams are extremely competitive. European clubs are NOT developing Africa's youth.
There is a difference between local and foreign based players, yes, but these foreign based players started right in TNT, and their talents got them into European clubs.

Again, how can sending all our best players to European Clubs develop football locally?

If during the height of the cold war all the top engineers left the US and went to Russia?............yuh get my point?

I disagree with you completely. The African countries are not doing the development work by themselves. The academies you speak of are for the most part run by, and/or funded by europeans. As soon as a player shows potential he is quickly shipped to europe. Some go to big clubs or smaller ones like Obi Mikel went to Denmark.

Football will develop locally when there is better coaching and the youths see it as a potential career. Football as a career really is new to Trinidad in the sense that very few players in our history have been able to forge a decent living off of football. Think about the many good players that have fallen to the wayside after SSFL or even College in the US. Our recent exposure may drive more of the youth to withstand the sacrifices necessary to succeed.

We really need organisation and professional coaching to improve local football.
TnT Patriot

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2007, 06:03:45 PM »

I disagree with you completely. The African countries are not doing the development work by themselves. The academies you speak of are for the most part run by, and/or funded by europeans. As soon as a player shows potential he is quickly shipped to europe. Some go to big clubs or smaller ones like Obi Mikel went to Denmark.

Football will develop locally when there is better coaching and the youths see it as a potential career. Football as a career really is new to Trinidad in the sense that very few players in our history have been able to forge a decent living off of football. Think about the many good players that have fallen to the wayside after SSFL or even College in the US. Our recent exposure may drive more of the youth to withstand the sacrifices necessary to succeed.

We really need organisation and professional coaching to improve local football.

The Academies that you speak about are only the ones that you know about because you have a eurocentric view. These are probably the ones funded by or afiliated with European Clubs. Pardnuh, African luminaries such as Okocha, and Roger Milla and even George Weah went through NONE of these European Academies. Totally homegrown talent. These players led the way and some European Clubs saw an opportunity to nurture some more talent and import it. Hence their own academies. For the European, and even the individual players, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this, and even I will say, having the Academies based locally is surely beneficial. However, it is highly doubtful that exporting the best talents will benefit local football. It is a typical brain drain. It has certainly benefited European football clubs though.

Think about it like this....if Latapy would have played locally, what would have been the impact on Trini football? Would stands not be full? Would youngsters not be trying to imitate Latapy (as they and even his peers used to do even while he was a teenager)? Would fuller stands not mean more funds and thus a career path in football is born? Would this not contribute even a little to a better football product from TNT? Having your best players "migrate" does hurt the local game, no question.

I agree with your last paragraph totally, except that the youths  cannot just see it as a potential career, the career path has to be there locally, and this is where people involved in football in TNT are being shortsighted. For Fenwick to say that the way to develop local talent is to export the youth is amazingly illogical.

Where are our academies, either foreign or locally funded?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 06:09:49 PM by Socafan »
Two islands are better than one.

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2007, 08:00:43 PM »

The Academies that you speak about are only the ones that you know about because you have a eurocentric view. These are probably the ones funded by or afiliated with European Clubs. Pardnuh, African luminaries such as Okocha, and Roger Milla and even George Weah went through NONE of these European Academies. Totally homegrown talent. These players led the way and some European Clubs saw an opportunity to nurture some more talent and import it. Hence their own academies. For the European, and even the individual players, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this, and even I will say, having the Academies based locally is surely beneficial. However, it is highly doubtful that exporting the best talents will benefit local football. It is a typical brain drain. It has certainly benefited European football clubs though.

Think about it like this....if Latapy would have played locally, what would have been the impact on Trini football? Would stands not be full? Would youngsters not be trying to imitate Latapy (as they and even his peers used to do even while he was a teenager)? Would fuller stands not mean more funds and thus a career path in football is born? Would this not contribute even a little to a better football product from TNT? Having your best players "migrate" does hurt the local game, no question.

I agree with your last paragraph totally, except that the youths  cannot just see it as a potential career, the career path has to be there locally, and this is where people involved in football in TNT are being shortsighted. For Fenwick to say that the way to develop local talent is to export the youth is amazingly illogical.

Where are our academies, either foreign or locally funded?
Actually, I really don't consider myself as having a Eurocentric view.

The fact is Latapy would not have developed into the great player that he is if he stayed in Trinidad. Do you think that Whitley or Hardest or Faustin fully realized their potential by staying in Trinidad?

Lets face it. Football in Trinidad doesn't pay enough yet. More importantly, the coaching and competition in Trinidad does not yet produce players of the highest quality. We have players with good potential but not more than that. Have you watched the PFL games? I'm sorry but the quality is not that good. Any player wanting to achieve their best has to go abroad right now. Being the big fish in a small pond is misleading. Ask  W Connection with their fat average players who are considered amongst the best in the PFL.

Ideally, I would love to be self-sufficient but we a miles away from that. To advise any player to stay home when opportunity beckons abroad is foolhardy. When the powers that be organize themselves and the level of coaching and competition improves then we could consider that. When we could attract our own past greats back home then we will start getting somewhere. Right now, absolutely not.

With regard to Okocha et al. those guys are diamonds i.e. they were rare in that era. We had that too, Dwight Yorke. Think about it, Africa with the many millions of people had a few people that reached that level. For us with 1mil people to have someone on that level, i'd say we are ahead of the curve. All those players went to Europe as youngsters. Nowadays, the improved coaching and those academies are responsible for the glut of African players on the market. 

I think you're putting the cart before the horse.
TnT Patriot

Offline Papachunks

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2007, 08:04:20 PM »
I dont know if i can totally agree with that last statement. What you are saying might work better for a country with a larger population. BUT for trinidad, we dont have enough talent within the country to efficiently up the standard on a wide level.

What shipping the talent away does....is encourage foreign investment to be injected into football by the foreign powers. Hence actually develop youths at an even younger age in trinidad.

From dere perhaps local coaches can learn a few tings....and then our domestic base might develop.

1]; } ?>