May 10, 2024, 01:15:27 AM

Author Topic: Limited State of Emergency....  (Read 164009 times)

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Limited State of Emergency....
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2011, 11:42:34 AM »
Stupessss....Just like when we had de coup, it go have nuff curfew party. Man, woman and vagrant go be in St.James drinking beers normel.  ;)
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

truetrini

« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2011, 11:54:54 AM »
Arima, without strong opposition, you get weak government, thats why PNM got away so long. I don't always agree with Rowley, but its his job to voice the peoples opposition to certain policies. It doesn't mean he would do different or has all the answers. Governments need to be held to account and thats the job of the opposition. He may well support the SOE, but judging by some comments here, not everyone feels its necessary.

9/11 was extreme, an act of terrorism and therefore a SOE was justifyable. 11 murders in 3 days is hardly an emergency. Especially when you consider that 7 happened in 2 incidents. Its like saying close down the highways coz you had 2 bad accidents in a weekend.

Who says the opposition cannot agree with something the gov't does?  Therein lies the problem.  The opposition should support the crime initiative and stop with the political pandering.  I would agree that this gov't in totality is not doing a great job but it's not like the prior regime didn't have a massive amount of time to resolve the crime situation and they also failed miserably.  If you feel because of them 7 murders is the reason for the SOE, then you are sorely mistaken.  This crime situation bad for the past decade.

The opposition sounding like the replublicans in the US who don't want the ecomony to be successful because if it does they have no chance of being re-elected. 

Look out for the good of the nation.  I'll be the first one to say, I don't know the specifics of the SOE and how it will work, but I do know there are some military powers that they can use to take out the "bandits".  Is the common citizen that is living in fear and whatever they do to get eradicate the bandits I for it.  I just cannot take the political grandstanding.... 

Look Arima, Rowley called for discussions LONG before and got nutten but silence!   Then you have members of this government who refused to support their OWN BILLS when they were in opposition!  Because they wanted to make the PNM look worse...steups. government wanted

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2011, 12:23:39 PM »
Kamla aka Rambo
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »
Wait a minute. This curfew is for two weeks right?

September 2nd is game from7pm. bout 9, the game wud finish.

how this curfew will work in a case like this.?

i cant stand when an announcement like this is made and there is little to no information available

GET YUH BOAT TCKT DEY MIGHT JUST SAY DYS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2011, 12:26:15 PM »
Stupessss....Just like when we had de coup, it go have nuff curfew party. Man, woman and vagrant go be in St.James drinking beers normel.  ;)

It strt since last nite man talkin bout curfew party and curfew sale.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2011, 12:26:50 PM »
All Blackberry owners, BB Messenger service will be suspended from 9pm to 5am as unlike voicemail and text messages, BB messages cannot be traced...spread the word...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2011, 12:28:30 PM »
Arima, without strong opposition, you get weak government, thats why PNM got away so long. I don't always agree with Rowley, but its his job to voice the peoples opposition to certain policies. It doesn't mean he would do different or has all the answers. Governments need to be held to account and thats the job of the opposition. He may well support the SOE, but judging by some comments here, not everyone feels its necessary.

9/11 was extreme, an act of terrorism and therefore a SOE was justifyable. 11 murders in 3 days is hardly an emergency. Especially when you consider that 7 happened in 2 incidents. Its like saying close down the highways coz you had 2 bad accidents in a weekend.

Who says the opposition cannot agree with something the gov't does?  Therein lies the problem.  The opposition should support the crime initiative and stop with the political pandering.  I would agree that this gov't in totality is not doing a great job but it's not like the prior regime didn't have a massive amount of time to resolve the crime situation and they also failed miserably.  If you feel because of them 7 murders is the reason for the SOE, then you are sorely mistaken.  This crime situation bad for the past decade.

The opposition sounding like the replublicans in the US who don't want the ecomony to be successful because if it does they have no chance of being re-elected. 

Look out for the good of the nation.  I'll be the first one to say, I don't know the specifics of the SOE and how it will work, but I do know there are some military powers that they can use to take out the "bandits".  Is the common citizen that is living in fear and whatever they do to get eradicate the bandits I for it.  I just cannot take the political grandstanding.... 

Look Arima, Rowley called for discussions LONG before and got nutten but silence!   Then you have members of this government who refused to support their OWN BILLS when they were in opposition!  Because they wanted to make the PNM look worse...steups. government wanted

I win ah bet wit a retire DCp when I wuk police. He say that d UNc woulda support d Police Reform Bills as it was there legislation. well he was wrong like an o and I got meh airfare 2 Bgo.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »
All Blackberry owners, BB Messenger service will be suspended from 9pm to 5am as unlike voicemail and text messages, BB messages cannot be traced...spread the word...

So PNM Spy Squad back up and running? Reshmi come back or what.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »

So PNM Spy Squad back up and running? Reshmi come back or what.

D Israel spies return d file.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2011, 12:43:10 PM »
they missed out on areas like"the zone" in tunapuna, st.johns rd st augustine, curepe, certain parts of maracus valley, st.joseph as champs fleurs is only a portion of st.joseph

i see the EDR on lock down which is a given as usual

i think they should have better planned for this lock down and they should have done better investigation, in fact i believe this should be permanent in certain areas until the crime is reduced substantially

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2011, 12:53:15 PM »

?? Really?? That is thing to get vex 'bout.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2011, 12:55:32 PM »

Who vex information is being shared.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2011, 12:56:57 PM »
they missed out on areas like"the zone" in tunapuna, st.johns rd st augustine, curepe, certain parts of maracus valley, st.joseph as champs fleurs is only a portion of st.joseph

i think they should have better planned for this lock down and they should have done better investigation, in fact i believe this should be permanent in certain areas until the crime is reduced substantially
What you talking 'bout is a sustained police presence, as any right thinking government/police service should have done. A 2 week "lock down" or whatever is not going to solve crime. It's a crime holiday. But it does score political points fuh sure.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2011, 01:01:53 PM »

Who vex information is being shared.

BBmessenger service is a major tool for criminals? Without it criminal activity done? Wouldn't they just use the next best tool? Like say msn messenger, skype, gmail, regular old talk? I don't get it. Or is it that as FS say, the youth sing like a bird and they know specifics and targeting specific people? If so then this whole lockdown thing will make sense.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »
Ah just get this

Dear Members,

As you are all aware by now, in a bid to curb the spate of crime currently affecting Trinidad and Tobago, the Government has declared a limited State of Emergency in several parts of the country.

As part of the emergency regulations, there will be a curfew in the affected areas from 9.00 p.m. nightly to 5.00 a.m.

Our information to date is that the State of Emergency will remain in force for 15 days in the first instance. Should the Government see the need for an extension, the issue will be taken to Parliament where a decision will be made on the length of the extension.

We will attempt to keep you informed of further developments as they come to hand. Please see a list of the areas affected by the curfew.

We urge you and your families to be particular careful at this difficult time.

Designated Hot Spots that will see curfew from 9pm to 5am

The City of Port of Spain -

St. James East
St. James West
Woodbrook
Northern Port of Spain
Belmont East
Belmont North & West
Southern Port of Spain
East Dry River
St. Ann’s River South
St. Ann’s River Central
St. Ann’s River North
Belmont South
The City of San Fernando –

Cocoyea/Tarouba
Les Efforts East/Cipero
Les Efforts West/La Romain
Marabella East
Marabella South/Vistabella
Marabella West
Mon Repos/Navet
Pleasantville
Spring Vale/Paradise

The Borough of Arima –

Calvary
Arima North East
Arima West
Arima Central
Malabar
Tumpuna
O’Meara
The Borough of Chaguanas –

Charlieville
Edinburgh/Longdonville
Enterprise North
Enterprise South
Cunupia
Montrose
Felicity/Endevour
Munroe Road/Caroni Savannah
The San Juan/Laventille Regional Corporation –

Maracus Bay/Santa Cruz/La Fillette
Febeau/Bourg Mulatresse
Morvant/Upper Malick
San Juan West/Caledonia
St. Ann’s/Cascade/Mon Repos West
St. Barb’s Chinapoo
Beetham/Picton
Success/Trou Macaque
Aranguez/Warner Village
Barataria
Petit Bourg/Champ Fleurs/Mt. Lambert
San Juan East
The Diego Martin Regional Corporation –

Chaguaramas/Glencoe
Goodwood/La Puerta
Covinge/Richplain
Diamond Vale
Morne Coco/Alyce Glen
Petit Valley/Cocorite
St. Lucien/cameron Hill
Belle Vue/Bossiere #1                       Moka/Boissiere #2

http://www.city94fm.com/connect/Boomnews/tabid/114/EntryId/278/BREAKING-NEWS-AREAS-UNDER-CURFEW.aspx

Regards,

Neil Giuseppi
General Manager

St. Andrews Golf Club (Est. 1891)
#1 St. Andrew's Wynd,
Moka, Maraval.
Tel: 629-0066 / 6187 / 6188 ext. 28
Fax: 629-2314
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2011, 01:07:39 PM »
Question....a place like Diamond Vale.....Yuh mean yuh hadda be in yuh house by 9:00pm? Diamond vale is a crime hotspot?

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »

BTW     ZENGA ZENGA !!!!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2011, 01:14:01 PM »
Socafan you missed d part where weary say BBM cant be traced.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2011, 01:14:45 PM »

What you talking 'bout is a sustained police presence, as any right thinking government/police service should have done. A 2 week "lock down" or whatever is not going to solve crime. It's a crime holiday. But it does score political points fuh sure.

Socafan you missed d part where weary say BBM cant be traced.

THXS

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2011, 01:30:06 PM »
Trinidad is a small space, the police know who is bandit and who is bandit boss, don't ever think this is like London where you have to police millions.
Is a couple thousand thugs to sort out, all this BBM shyte is just that the police doh need to monitor that if they have a SOE, is straight go for the bandit wherever he is arrest him , shoot him or kill him.
If plenty lock up or blood though flow then the thing was a waste.
Allyuh have to understand that many countries exist in a permanent state of emergency or state of war but people live better than if there was not.

Do you know that Argentina and England exist under a cease fire?
Most African, middle east and asian states have state of emergency that exist for years ?
Guyana is still at war with Venezuela and Brazil ?

I totally fed up with these bandits killing innocents , robbing people , making a paradise a hell and some tired people in here only on politics ?
HYMC .
Shoot to kill!! get rid of these thugs and beasts who rape mutilate and kill babies , in fact give me a gun an line them up I will do the job mihself

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2011, 01:38:52 PM »

that is an option but I find our police force ineffective

i would rather a military presence with the authority to use excessive force if necessary

raids and road blocks for at least 6 months, new prisons would be needed, as well as a juvenile detention/rehab center in the north and south.

its about time TT clean up, in fact, forget 6 months, it should ongoing until the crime is under 20 murders a year or less. we also need a better system for social workers to get into troubled areas and work with single parents and kids, we are lacking in terms of the number of social workers in TT
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 01:42:51 PM by Controversial »

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2011, 01:39:16 PM »
You cannot shut down BBM, the telecoms can shut down their data networks but you cannot isolate one application.

Only RIM can shut down BBM.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2011, 01:40:02 PM »
Great now we are going to be added on the international list of unsafe places to visit >:(

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2011, 01:42:57 PM »
Great now we are going to be added on the international list of unsafe places to visit >:(

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
So what ?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2011, 01:51:50 PM »

I thought we was on that list already but was trying to do whatever is required to get off?  ???
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2011, 02:00:10 PM »

I still visiting in the nexx 2 weeks...
but it only on for a max of 15 days right?
whey boy!

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2011, 02:04:04 PM »
I know one thing....people who have booked holidays in Tobago will be advised not to come, and that stigma will stay for a couple of years. Egypt invested heavily in tourism and then had bombs in Taba Heights in (I think 2004) Next year I booked to go there and it was cheaper than going on holiday in UK. 5* all inclusive...real bargain. Thing is, while I was there, there were bombs in Sham Al Sheik, so tourism took another knock. State of Emergencies are a major measure and the repercussions will take a long time to go away.

In fact, expect FIFA to order the next few T&T games to be played overseas, because teams like Bermuda won't come here.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »
9/11 was extreme, an act of terrorism and therefore a SOE was justifyable.

No state of emergency was even declared after 9/11... just to put things in perspective. 

Thing is, War, it effects everyone not just the crims. Last Weds I had to drive to Mount Hope just after midnight as I had extreme pain from a gum infection. If that happened tonight, what would I do? These police have itchy trigger fingers at the best of times. I understand we have to make sacrifices, but we also need to live in a free society. The many good people living in these "hotspots" no doubt want to have their fear removed, but do they also want to be imprisoned, so all they do is work and come home? And what about the effects on the bars, restaurants and clubs and tourism in Tobago? Imagime how afraid these tourists in Tobago will be. They sure ain't coming back. And govts aall over the world advising people not to travel to T&T. It may only last  15 days, but that impression of T&T will stick in the minds of some for years. So much for boosting tourism.

Funny... I remember you being on the other side of this debate in that Jack Warner thread.  Not at all trying to score cheap points, just underscoring my position that the rule of law is always bigger than any temporary situation, and most situations are "temporary."  It is always tempting to reach for extreme measures and to lose sight of perspective, as this situation presents. 

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2011, 02:38:37 PM »
"No state of emergency was even declared after 9/11... just to put things in perspective."

Seriously Bakes? Well that puts this further into perspective then!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2011, 02:47:17 PM »
"No state of emergency was even declared after 9/11... just to put things in perspective."

Seriously Bakes? Well that puts this further into perspective then!

I honestly don't think a national state of emergency has been declared in the US since German U-boats were encamped in NY harbor during WWII.

State of Emergency was declared in Louisiana 6 years ago when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans... maybe one was declared in the spring when tornadoes hit Alabama... maybe.  The reasons in both those cases was to empower the National Guard (essentially a standing army in each state) in each state to use their police powers and help with cleanup.  State of Emergency is nothing to be trifled with.

1]; } ?>