May 15, 2024, 05:59:39 AM

Author Topic: 2011 CONCACAF U-17 Finals  (Read 16062 times)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 CONCACAF U-17 Finals
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2011, 08:56:36 AM »
The goals from the final:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/97tMUDJuNbc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/97tMUDJuNbc</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/C8jPYd9JtrQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/C8jPYd9JtrQ</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MSlYntiOrMI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MSlYntiOrMI</a>
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline RehanaOmardeenfan

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2011, 09:33:23 AM »
Possibly some of the worst defense I have ever seen with that third goal.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2011, 05:28:24 AM »
U-17 star revels in elevated status
BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport editor

ALVAS ‘Bigga’ Powell has a larger-than-life attitude these days when he walks through his community — head held high and a pep in his step.

No wonder. After all, he’s the new hometown hero after his exploits as a key member of Jamaica’s World Cup-bound Under-17 squad.

Powell, a 16-year-old with a hint of great things to come, has been catapulted to stardom in his heartland of Danvers Pen — a small, rustic farming community of 17,000 inhabitants nestled between Seaforth and Trinityville in St Thomas.

His newfound fame has come as little surprise to those who have watched his growth over the years — always standing head and shoulders above his peers on the field of play.

No doubt, his groundation in football started with the parish’s grassroots Under-13 and Under-15 parish leagues and he played for the latter as a precocious nine-year-old.

This early baptism into organised football no doubt placed the Paul Bogle High student on a launching pad for his consequent elevation to the daCosta Cup and the national team.

Today, he is revelling in it all.

“They (community folk) don’t call me ‘Bigga’ anymore, they call me ‘National’ and they’re still encouraging me and everybody is just checking to see if I’m okay… I’m just proud to walk through my community,” said the hardnosed, skilful defender.

Six weeks in Brazil finetuning his skills for the CONCACAF qualifying playoffs “was a great experience”, but pales in comparison to the emotional roller-coaster ride that came with playing in the Montego Bay tournament, and more importantly, World Cup qualification.

“I felt great because it was the first that I was playing for a national team and that was good for me, my family, friends and even the (St Thomas) FA,” said Powell, who has since returned to Brazil after being elevated to the Under-20 outfit which is preparing for their World Cup qualifying tournament in Guatemala.

The close 2-1 win over Honduras in the quarterfinals of the CONCACAF eliminations secured the second appearance for Jamaica at an age-group World Cup, and Powell was ecstatic.

“I cried because it felt so good… first my mom (Angella Lindsay) called me and she said, ‘Son, I can’t wait to see you and I’m very proud of you’, and my friend Sean Robinson called me and said, ‘Yuh nuh stop big up St Thomas’,” said the past student of Prospect Primary, located in Danvers Pen.

Apart from his uncompromising attitude in defence and his obvious ballhandling prowess, Powell demonstrated enough throughout the two-week tournament to suggest that he could be lethal as an outright attacking player.

That was underlined in a profound way when he drifted from the heart of the defence to single-handedly decimate Guatemala’s retreating players with a piercing run down the left side.

He then passed the ball to striker Jason Wright, who clumsily, but effectively, finished off the move for a 1-0 win that guaranteed Jamaica a place in the quarter-finals.

“The forwards were not doing it so I was confident in myself that I can dribble on that flank. I did it before and I realised that that side of the field was weak, so I went back again. I got a goal out of that dribble,” said Powell, brimful of confidence.

There are those who believe the towering youngster would be more effective as a midfielder, but they may be interested to know it’s a position he played until his daCosta Cup coach had other ideas.

“I started out as a striker and then I went to left midfield and then right midfield… I can play anywhere. In the D’Cup, it was noticed that there weren’t any strong players in the defence, so my coach Mr (Winston) Downie said, ‘Alvas, I know you can play around there’, so I just go around there and now I’m a defender… but I’m like that; anything I do I’m going do my best every time,” said the player whose five sisters give him “one hundred per cent” support.

In their group matches at the CONCACAF event which qualified four teams to Mexico, Powell believes the 2-2 draw against Trinidad and Tobago was the “toughest game”.

“The USA game was tough also, but not as tough as the one against Trinidad… the Trinidad game was war,” argued Powell.

Jamaica’s fourth-place finish in the 12-team championship was a disappointment for Powell.

“I believe that we lost focus as we should have at least finished the tournament in third place, and not getting that is very disappointing for me… The coach was also letdown by the guys,” said the youngster who was ejected in the 0-2 semi-final defeat against the USA.

The Americans went on to win the competition by beating North American neighbours Canada 3-0 in extra time.

Jamaica were beaten 1-0 by surprise package Panama in the third-place play-off.

Powell singled out teammate and captain Omar Holness for praise, claiming the Wolmer’s Boys’ midfielder is an outstanding leader.

“He’s very good, and it doesn’t matter how the pressure is on, he encourages us,” he told the Sunday Observer as he drove to the senior Boyz training camp last week.

As Powell and his teammates look to the Under-17 FIFA Youth World Cup, which kicks off on June 18 and ends on July 10 in Mexico, he agrees there is still work to be done in getting ready for the tournament.

“Yes, there needs to be more work… the goalkeepers and the midfielders more than anyone else need to work on,” he argued.

He thinks the defence, of which he is a part, has not performed badly even as the team conceded six goals to five scored.

“About three of the goals that we have conceded did not come from situations where the defence line was broken down; the opponents kicked the ball from way outside the area and we can’t stop shots from being kicked to goal,” Powell explained.

Powell says he’s grateful for the role St Thomas football has played in his development, and sought to point out that wherever the game takes him, he will owe much of it to his roots.

Meanwhile, St Thomas FA head, Wayne Thompson, said the success of Powell and another St Thomas member of the Under-17 team, Javia Roberts, is a boost to the parish’s football and testimony to its youth programme.

“Interestingly, both players represented St Thomas in the National Under-15 Challenge Cup in 2008/2009… and we’re happy that both players made the transition to the national programme,” said a delighted Thompson.

Another product of the parish and Under-17 squad member, Johvan Christopher, was not selected for the sixweek Brazilian camp for disciplinary reasons.

Players of note who have preceded the trio as beneficiaries of the parish’s youth programme are Jermaine Hue, Desmond Breakenridge Jnr, Newton Sterling and national representatives Demar Phillips and goalkeeper Dwayne Miller.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Soccer storm in the Caribbean: How diplomacy faltered over football
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2011, 12:23:31 PM »
Soccer storm in the Caribbean: How diplomacy faltered over football
By Chris Murphy (CNN)

Hurricane season will soon be upon the Caribbean -- a time of year when storms and strong winds lash many of the islands so popular as vacation destinations for travelers across the world.

Currently, however, a different tempest is raging between two neighboring countries over something far more trivial, but no less volatile -- soccer.

Haiti and Jamaica are the latest nations to become embroiled in an unseemly spat that was born on the football field but quickly escalated to dominate and strain diplomatic channels.

Not in doubt is the fact that Haiti's under-17 team had their dream of reaching the soccer World Cup crushed after being forced to withdraw from a qualifying tournament hosted by Jamaica.

Pretty much everything else is up for debate.

Jamaica claims that two Haiti players, and their coach, tested positive for malaria and the rest of the team were quarantined to safeguard the public from the disease.

Haiti says the three individuals in question were not properly cared for and that the rest of the delegation were detained, forced to take anti-malarial drugs and treated like "criminals" up until their departure.

Upon returning home Haiti officials promptly recalled their charge d'affaires to Jamaica, while a protest saw thousands march through the capital Port-au-Prince to protest against the treatment meted out to the youth team.

Jamaica insists the matter is now closed after an assurance from Haitian President René Préval, but those closely involved in the saga are in no mood to forgive or forget.

It is not the first time the beautiful game has been the catalyst for a diplomatic flashpoint. The most notorious row ended in a four-day war between El Salvador and Honduras.

The bordering nations had been at odds over issues of migration and land reform in 1969 when they were drawn to play each other in qualifying for the 1970 World Cup.

The two legs prompted violent clashes between fans, the cutting of diplomatic ties and skirmishes on the border before Salvador launched bombing raids shortly after. Four days later a cease-fire deal was clinched.

And more recently, World Cup qualifying also sparked conflict between African neighbors Egypt and Algeria in 2009 as the Algerian team bus was stoned in Cairo.

Algeria then refused to allow an Egyptian plane to land, prompting a recall of ambassadors. Scuffles dominated the matches between the pair as Algeria claimed a place at the 2010 World Cup at the expense of their great rivals.

Back in the Caribbean, the disagreement over what happened to the team continues to cause diplomatic tension.

Jamaican medical officials forced the squad to stay in hospital, after three of the party displayed symptoms of malaria -- but the approach was heavy-handed according to the head of Haitian soccer.

"The medical team were repressive, aggressive and hostile," Dr Yves Jean-Bart, president of the Haiti Football Federation who accompanied the players on their trip to the tournament, wrote in his official report seen by CNN. "They were not allowed to eat or shower despite being declared sick with borderline temperatures."

The rest of the group, despite refusing, were made to take anti-malaria drugs and then quarantined in their hotel by armed security guards until their failure to field a team against El Salvador confirmed elimination from the tournament.

The Haitian FA described the move as "Machiavellian" in the report mentioned above.

As soon as the Haiti contingent landed back on home soil, the crisis escalated and both governments became involved.

Cue a flurry of communications from, among others, Jamaica's Prime Minister Bruce Golding, claiming the country's dealings with the Haitian delegation were entirely legitimate and in line with its health protocols.

Golding told the Jamaican House of Representatives he regretted how the issue had been "sensationalized" and that language problems between the two parties may have exacerbated the situation.

But Jean-Bart persisted to note in his official report that his players had received "psychological aggression" and "medical persecution" at the hands of their Jamaican hosts.

He told CNN that as far as he is concerned "the matter is not closed ... because it's a discrimination act against our Haitian people. Jamaica has to apologize to our young players before relations are restored."

Myrtha Desulme, president of the Haiti-Jamaica Society in Kingston, told CNN that Haitians on every continent would be "outraged at this last indignity meted out to their children." She claims the entire country is still suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder after the devastating earthquake that tore the country apart in January 2010.

She added: "Even though the Haitian authorities might have accepted to officially close the book on the football issue, due to incapacity, Haitian civil society, both in Haiti and in its diaspora, continues to feel appalled and indignant about the incident.

"These children have been traumatized for life, on the way to achieving their dreams, and they were unfairly and illegally prevented from competing, which they had rightfully earned the right to do.

"Can you imagine what it must have been like for these 15 and 16-year-olds, who were so excited to be living what was probably the greatest adventure of their young lives, to be ... treated like criminals, and thrown out of the host country, just because two team players fell ill?

"Until Jamaicans know the truth of what transpired, they will continue to feel that Haitians have no right to feel hurt, angry, and outraged. As long as Jamaicans do not understand the source of their indignation, Haitians will continue to be incensed and resentful.

"There can be no reconciliation until there is full acknowledgement of the truth, apologies, and forgiveness."

Jamaica contests such allegations. After meeting with a delegation sent by Haiti's government to examine the dispute, Jamaica's Deputy Prime Minister Dr. Kenneth Baugh said: "It should be obvious that Jamaica never intended for the Haitians to feel that they were subjected to discrimination. Our objective is to resolve and bridge the gap."

Olivia Grange, Minister of Youth, Sports and Culture, said in a statement that the other nations in the tournament were subject to the same medical testing Haiti received and that their quarantine was not restrictive.

She said that Jamaica did not "expel" Haiti from the tournament, explaining that they had decided to withdraw in consultation with the footballing authorities.

Haiti will have noted as they wait to see if they will be granted special dispensation to play in the under-17 World Cup by FIFA, that Grange also congratulated the Jamaican team on their qualification.

It appears as if this latest disagreement to be sparked by soccer may take a while to blow over.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Soccer storm in the Caribbean: How diplomacy faltered over football
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2011, 12:43:55 PM »
The truth of course is somewhere in the middle...sad that things deteriorating to this point tho.
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2011, 02:03:19 PM »
for a country that deals with a lot of visitors Jamaica did not handle this well.

if a white person get a fever in a resort is the who place put on lockdown.

How they know they did not get the malaria from a JA mosquito.

This is pure bshit.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2011, 04:00:25 PM »
?? ??? But malaria is not a contagious desease. Why quarantine the whole team if two players exibiting symtoms?? Why quarantine anyone at all, except for the 2 with symptoms? Testing is also easy and just a matter of looking at blood under a microscope so why quarantine anyone for testing? And they made the rest take anti-malarial drugs before symptoms start or without knowing whether they had Malaria!!?? Really?

This story cyar be right.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2011, 08:37:25 PM »
I hesitate to comment without knowing more... but when this went down I couldn't help but thinking that it was nothing but straight prejudice against the Haitians.  Jamaica has a serious illegal immigration problem with Haitians and that, along with other older prejudice is what I feel contributed to making this more than it should have been.

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2011, 09:11:57 PM »
shut up if you don't have facts about shit. Jamaica did not expel any team and the Haitian team management simple did not wont to corporate with Jamaica medical team and fallow orders. Jamaica had a responsibility to protect other country kids that were participating in the tournament, its own residents and other visitors. every team was tested. there are illegal Haitians who come to Jamaica every year, they never get a bad treatment like what they get in the Bahamas. why would Jamaica be prejudice against Haiti?. the Haitian administrations were simply mischievous, they could have still be in the tournament, Jamaica did not order them to leave.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:45:27 PM by jahkingdom »
Hard work is the key to success

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2011, 10:57:47 PM »
shut up if you don't have facts about shit. Jamaica did not expel any team and the Haitian team management simple did not wont to corporate with Jamaica medical team and fallow orders. Jamaica had a responsibility to protect other country kids that were participating in the tournament, its own residents and other visitors. every team was tested. there are illegal Haitians who come to Jamaica every year, they never get a bad treatment like what they get in the Bahamas. why would Jamaica be prejudice against Haiti?. the Haitian administrations were simply mischievous, they could have still be in the tournament, Jamaica did not order them to leave.

I would tell you to go back and read what I wrote... but judging by your grammar and spelling it probably wouldn't make a difference.  I never said Jamaica expelled anyone so no need to get your panties in a bunch.  Secondly, I have about as much "facts" as you do... unless you were part of JFF or its medical team.  Thirdly, Jamaica's mistreatment of Haitians is not news... unless you have your head buried in sand... or up your ass.  Finally, as has already been mentioned... malaria is not contagious and cannot be spread from person to person... so exactly what was the Jamaican medical team "protecting" others from?

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2011, 11:47:59 PM »

I would tell you to go back and read what I wrote... but judging by your grammar and spelling it probably wouldn't make a difference.  I never said Jamaica expelled anyone so no need to get your panties in a bunch.  Secondly, I have about as much "facts" as you do... unless you were part of JFF or its medical team.  Thirdly, Jamaica's mistreatment of Haitians is not news... unless you have your head buried in sand... or up your ass.  Finally, as has already been mentioned... malaria is not contagious and cannot be spread from person to person... so exactly what was the Jamaican medical team "protecting" others from?

shut di f*ck up stupid fool. this a f*cking forum give a shit bout grammar. my comment wasn't for any single person. where the f*ck is your facts, and what the f*ck you can do about it. this is a old story and allot of info from both side. allot of stuff were made up by the Haitians even stuff like they were left under mango tree in rain. and where is you facts or news that Jamaica mistreated Haitians multiple times?. this is a old and long story i wont, i wont even wast my time go over this again but will rather link the thread to other forums so they may continue the conversation. 

Jamaica have done what they needed to do:

http://www.mfaft.gov.jm/?q=frank-open-concacaf-discussions-between-haiti-jamaica-dr-baugh

http://www.opm.gov.jm/news_and_public_affairs/haitian_president_accepts_report_that_under17_footballers_were_not_mistreate

now lets get you facts on Jamaica constant mistreatment of Haitians...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:34:13 AM by jahkingdom »
Hard work is the key to success

1]; } ?>