May 14, 2024, 06:56:14 PM

Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius 'shoots girlfirend'  (Read 7536 times)

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: Oscar Pistorius 'shoots girlfirend'
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 12:49:38 AM »
http://www.runnerspace.com/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=88&do=videos&video_id=79572

No one who has spent five minutes with this guy would ever ask how he could get a woman that fine.

No one who knows him can figure out why, at the peak of his life, perhaps, he snapped. 24 hours ago, I believed this could ONLY have been an accident. I am pretty sure now it was not.

Ato,

My first thought--after I heard the news, and after realizing that a person actually lost her life--was how  at the olympics he made such a big deal about another amputee being allowed to compete with longer blades than his. For some reason he came across as less than a "nice guy"

Of course I was never in his presence to know him, but somehow I wasn't as shocked as everyone seems to be.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:06:08 AM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 06:19:45 AM »
Alyuh hear he Shit defense.

BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) tweeted at 7:14 AM on Tue, Feb 19, 2013:
#OscarPistorius says he shot into his bathroom believing an intruder was inside and his girlfriend was still in bed http://t.co/Lq0OYYd9
(https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/303839893430353921)

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In full: Oscar Pistorius's defence affidavit
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 08:43:11 AM »
In full: Oscar Pistorius's defence affidavit
London Evening Standard

The purpose of this affidavit is to provide the above Honourable Court with my personal circumstances and to  address the allegations levelled against me (in so far as they are known to me).

I fail to understand how I could be charged with murder, let alone premeditated murder, as I had no intention to kill my girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp (“Reeva”).

However, I will put factors before the Honourable Court to show that it is in the interests of justice to permit my release on bail. I state that the State will not be able to present any objective facts that I committed a planned or premeditated murder. For this reason I will hereunder deal with the events which occurred that evening. The objective facts will not refute my version as it is the truth. I am a professional athlete and reside at Silverlakes Drive, Silverlakes, Pretoria.

I was born on 22  November 1986, at Johannesburg. I have resided in the Republic of South Africa (“the RSA”) all my life, and  although I frequently travel abroad to participate in international sporting events, I regard South Africa as my permanent place of abode. I have no intention to relocate to any other country as I love my country. I own  immovable assets in South Africa, which consist of the following: The immovable property in which I currently reside.

This property is valued at approximately R5 million and is encumbered by a mortgage bond in the amount of approximately R2 million. Two further immovable properties located within Weeping Willow Estates, Pretoria East, which properties have a combined value of approximately R1,6 million. Both properties are bonded to an  aggregate value of approximately R1 million. A vacant stand in Langebaan, Western Cape, which has a value of approximately R1,7 million. This property is not bonded. I own movable assets comprised of household furniture and effects, motor vehicles and jewellery, which are valued in excess of R500 000,00.

My friends and family reside in the RSA, although I also have friends abroad. My professional occupation currently provides me with an income of approximately R5,6 million per annum. I have cash investments in excess of R1 million at various banks within the RSA. I have never been convicted of any criminal offences either in the RSA or elsewhere. There are no outstanding cases, other than the present, being investigated against me by the South African Police Services “SAPS”). I have been informed that I am accused of having committed the offence of murder.

I deny the aforesaid allegation in the strongest terms. I am advised that I do not have to deal with the merits of the case for purposes of the bail application. However, I believe that it is appropriate to deal with the merits in this application, particularly in view of the State’s contention that I planned to murder Reeva. Nothing can be further from the truth and I have no doubt that it is not possible for the State to present objective facts to substantiate such an allegation, as there is no substance in the allegation.

I do not know on what different facts the allegation of a premeditated murder could be premised and I respectfully request the State to furnish me with such alleged facts in order to allow me to refute such allegations.

On the 13th of February 2013 Reeva would have gone out with her friends and I with my friends. Reeva then called me and asked that we rather spend the evening at home. I agreed and we were content to have a quiet dinner together at home. By about 22h00 on 13 February 2013 we were in our bedroom. She was doing her yoga exercises and I was in bed watching television.

My prosthetic legs were off. We were deeply in love and I could not be happier. I know she felt the same way. She had given me a present for Valentine’s Day but asked me only to open it the next day. After Reeva finished her yoga exercises she got into bed and we both fell asleep.

I am acutely aware of violent crime being committed by intruders entering homes with a view to commit crime, including violent crime. I have received death threats before. I have also been a victim of violence and of burglaries before. For that reason I kept my firearm, a 9 mm Parabellum, underneath my bed when I went to bed at night.

During the early morning hours of 14 February 2013, I woke up, went onto the balcony to bring the fan in and closed the sliding doors, the blinds and the curtains. I heard a noise in the bathroom and realised that someone was in the bathroom. I felt a sense of terror rushing over me. There are no burglar bars across the bathroom window and I knew that contractors who worked at my house had left the ladders outside.

Although I did not have my prosthetic legs on I have mobility on my stumps. I believed that someone had entered my house. I was too scared to switch a light on. I grabbed my 9mm pistol from underneath my bed. On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police. It was pitch dark in the bedroom and I thought Reeva was in bed.

I noticed that the bathroom window was open. I realised that the intruder/s was/ were in the toilet because the toilet door was closed and I did not see anyone in the bathroom. I heard movement inside the toilet. The toilet is inside the bathroom and has a separate door. It filled me with horror and fear of an intruder or intruders being inside the toilet.

I thought he or they must have entered through the unprotected window. As I did not have my prosthetic legs on and felt extremely vulnerable, I knew I had to protect Reeva and myself. I believed that when the intruder/s came out of the toilet we would be in grave danger.

I felt trapped as my bedroom door was locked and I have limited mobility on my stumps. I fired shots at the toilet door and shouted to Reeva to phone the police. She did not respond and I moved backwards out of the bathroom, keeping my eyes on the bathroom entrance. Everything was pitch dark in the bedroom and I was still too scared to switch on a light. Reeva was not responding. When I reached the bed, I realised that Reeva was not in bed.

That is when it dawned on me that it could have been Reeva who was in the toilet. I returned to the bathroom calling her name. I tried to open the toilet door but it was locked. I rushed back into the bedroom and opened the sliding door exiting onto the balcony and screamed for help. I put on my prosthetic legs, ran back to the bathroom and tried to kick the toilet door open. I think I must then have turned on the lights.

I went back into the bedroom and grabbed my cricket bat to bash open the toilet door. A panel or panels broke off and I found the key on the floor and unlocked and opened the door. Reeva was slumped over but alive. I battled to get her out of the toilet and pulled her into the bathroom.

I phoned Johan Stander (“Stander”) who was involved in the  administration of the estate and asked him to phone the ambulance. I phoned Netcare and asked for help. I went downstairs to open the front door. I returned to the bathroom and picked Reeva up as I had been told not to wait for the paramedics, but to take her to hospital. I carried her downstairs in order to take her to the hospital. On my way down Stander arrived.

A doctor who lives in the complex also arrived. Downstairs, I tried to render the assistance to Reeva that I could, but she died in my arms. I am absolutely mortified by the events and the devastating loss of my beloved Reeva. With the benefit of hindsight I believe that Reeva went to the toilet when I went out on the balcony to bring the fan in.

I cannot bear to think of the suffering I have caused her and her family, knowing how much she was loved. I also know that the events of that tragic night were as I have described them and that in due course I have no doubt the police and expert investigators will bear this out. I will stand my trial should it proceed against me. I am a well-known international athlete and there is no possibility that I will even think of not standing my trial should there be one.

I trust the South African legal system and that the facts will show that I did not murder Reeva. I do not know the identity of any witness upon whom the State will rely in order to attempt to prove a case against me. In any event, I have no intention to interfere with any witnesses as I have no cause to do so and I undertake not to do so. I maintain good relationships with people and I bear no grudges against anyone. As previously stated, I have no previous convictions and I have not been released on bail pending any charges. I am not disposed to violence.

I respectfully submit that the facts set out above support my contention that I do not constitute a flight risk.

I have two South African passports, the one is full. I need my passport to compete overseas but I am willing to surrender the passports to the investigating officer should it be a condition of bail. I am not in possession of any other travel documents and undertake not to apply for such documentation pending the finalisation of these proceedings. After the shooting I did not attempt to flee. Rather, I accepted Stander would contact the police, and I remained at the scene.

I will be able to raise an appropriate amount to post as bail. I have no knowledge of any evidentiary material which may exist with regard to the allegations levelled against me. In any event, I believe that whatever such evidence may be, it is in the possession of the police; it is safely secured and I do not have access thereto.

I undertake not to interfere with any further investigations. I am not sure which witnesses the State will rely upon in order to attempt to prove its case against me. Nonetheless, I undertake not to communicate with any witness, whoever he or she may be, and any other persons whose names may appear on a list of “State witnesses”, to be provided by the State. My continued incarceration can only prejudice me and creates no benefit to the State.

I respectfully submit that should I be released on bail, my release shall not disturb the public order or undermine the proper functioning of the criminal justice system. I will comply with such conditions as the above Honourable Court may wish to impose. I accordingly submit that the interests of justice, considerations of prejudice and the balancing of respective interests favour my release on bail.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 10:00:44 AM »
I wonder what his neighbours who reported hearing a loud argument before the police, etc were called have to say about this defence affidavit?

Looks like this could be another OJ Simpson style defence case and he does have the money for the best lawyers to help get him off!

I hope that what he is saying is true because I like him as an athlete and thinks he has more to offer and achieve on the track given the chance to continue with his athletics career. 

But how does he explain the steroids that were found from an athletics perspective even if his story proves to be true and he can get off with accidental man slaughter?  :-\
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:15:07 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »
Steroids and murder ,the only other case i remember with that was the wrestler Chris Benoit a few years ago ,killed his kids and wife.and himself.But he had multiple head and brain damage from his sport and crazy pain from body injuries.Oscar didnt.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:12:33 AM by Quags »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 11:13:23 AM »
That eh no accident. Two ah allyuh in the hotel room. Some movement in the bathroom. You put on prosthetic, shoot in the bathroom, then realize she is not in the bed?

Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
His story just not adding up... he say he wake up to see the balcony door open and realized that contractors had left ladders on the property.  He then heard sounds in his bathroom coming from the toilet area and grabbed a gun, and moving on his stumps entered the bathroom and fired through the closed door of the separate toilet area, thinking it mighta been a burglar.  He then called out to his girlfriend to call the cops... and only when she didn't answer did it dawn on him that it might have been her in the toilet.  He then break down the door (it was locked) and found her slumped over.

South African burglars like to lock themselves in people toilet in the middle of the night apparently.

giggsy11

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »
How you do not check tuh see if yuh woman safe, before yuh head tuh the bathroom and start firing? Plus I am sure the first time she got hit she must have cried out. You squeeze the trigger 3 more times?  Hope dey find him guilty and lock up his abusive arse without his legs. Taking people children like you is God.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 06:34:07 PM »
I hear a next man text she the same day. A rugby player. They speculating Oscar read the text and flip.
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 06:50:53 PM »
I hear a next man text she the same day. A rugby player. They speculating Oscar read the text and flip.
That sounds quite plausible!
Horn or suspicion of horn can drive certain people to do crazy things if they feel insecure in their relationship!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 10:36:59 PM »
So you hear a noise in your bathroom, and you have a guest in your house, you will immediately rule out the girlfriend as the source of the bathroom noise?
If we go with him being real paranoid and thinking it is an intruder, how come when he went for his gun which is under the bed that he thinks his girlfriend is in, he did not attempt to communicate with her right then so she could make the call or lock herself in a room, or both?

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 11:28:44 PM »
His story just not adding up... he say he wake up to see the balcony door open and realized that contractors had left ladders on the property.  He then heard sounds in his bathroom coming from the toilet area and grabbed a gun, and moving on his stumps entered the bathroom and fired through the closed door of the separate toilet area, thinking it mighta been a burglar.  He then called out to his girlfriend to call the cops... and only when she didn't answer did it dawn on him that it might have been her in the toilet.  He then break down the door (it was locked) and found her slumped over.

South African burglars like to lock themselves in people toilet in the middle of the night apparently.

this is one of the things that makes no sense.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 11:30:43 PM »
How you do not check tuh see if yuh woman safe, before yuh head tuh the bathroom and start firing? Plus I am sure the first time she got hit she must have cried out. You squeeze the trigger 3 more times?  Hope dey find him guilty and lock up his abusive arse without his legs. Taking people children like you is God.

this is another thing that doesnt make sense, i am sure after the first shot she bawl oh f**k oscar is me reeva in the bathroom.  his defence might be it was loud in the neighborhood so he couldnt hear, then again he is ah dunce so he might say it was dark so he couldnt hear.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 11:32:27 PM »
So you hear a noise in your bathroom, and you have a guest in your house, you will immediately rule out the girlfriend as the source of the bathroom noise? If we go with him being real paranoid and thinking it is an intruder, how come when he went for his gun which is under the bed that he thinks his girlfriend is in, he did not attempt to communicate with her right then so she could make the call or lock herself in a room, or both?

my pardna was saying the same thing, if he hear ah noise in the bathroon his first suspect is his wife because she always peeing in the night.

truetrini

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 12:46:57 AM »
Did the killer leave foot prints?  If he did then we know is not Oscar.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 05:03:34 AM »
Testestosterone and needless found. He will also be charged with possession of illegal ammunition.

Neighbors testify to screaming before she was shot. Shouting and arguing
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 09:43:38 AM »
Testestosterone and needless found. He will also be charged with possession of illegal ammunition.

Neighbors testify to screaming before she was shot. Shouting and arguing

When did they 'testify'... there's only been one hearing and that was the bail hearing, where there was no testimony by anyone.  This report talks about a witness saying that she heard screams then more shots but until we get that under oath can't put much credence into that.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 10:10:07 AM »
call me a cynic. OP's story sound like BS.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 03:52:10 PM »
This is why until trial start we must take everything we read with a grain of salt...

South African prosecution spokesman: Error in detective’s Pistorius ‘testosterone’ testimony

By Associated Press, Updated: Wednesday, February 20, 12:53 PM

PRETORIA, South Africa — The investigating officer in the Oscar Pistorius murder case made an error in his court testimony Wednesday when he identified a substance found in the athlete’s bedroom as testosterone, the national prosecutor said.

Medupe Simasiku, the spokesman for South Africa’s National Prosecution Agency, told The Associated Press that it was too early to identify the substance as it was still undergoing laboratory tests.

“It is not certain (what it is) until the forensics.” Simasiku said, adding that it wasn’t certain if it was “a legal or an illegal medication for now.”

Detective Warrant Officer Hilton Botha, the investigating officer, said earlier in court during Pistorius’ bail hearing that police found two boxes of testosterone and needles in the bedroom of the Olympic athlete, who is charged with premediated murder in the Feb. 14 shooting death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

It was a mistake to identify the substance now, Simasiku said, as it was still unknown. He said the discovery of needles was in Botha’s statement, however.

Pistorius denies murder, saying in an affidavit Tuesday that the Valentine’s Day shooting was accidental because he thought there was an intruder in his house.

In response to Botha’s claim, the defense said Wednesday, the second day of Pistorius’ bail hearing at Pretoria Magistrate’s Court, that the substance found was not a steroid or a banned substance but an herbal remedy.

International Paralympic Committee spokesman Craig Spence told the AP soon after the substance claims that Pistorius — the world’s most famous disabled athlete — was drug tested twice in London last year by the IPC, on Aug. 25 and Sept. 8. Both test results were negative, Spence said.

The Aug. 25 test was an out-of-competition test, and the Sept. 8 one in-competition, a day before the end of the London Paralympics.

The International Olympic Committee said it didn’t test Pistorius at the Olympics, but referred the AP to the IPC’s negative tests. International athletics body the IAAF and the World Anti-Doping Agency would not comment because it was an ongoing legal case.

“Bearing in mind the ongoing police investigation, WADA must refrain from making any statement at present,” WADA said.

Giving testimony, Botha said police made the discovery of testosterone in bedroom of the double-amputee runner and multiple Paralympic champion’s upscale Pretoria house after the shooting of Steenkamp but offered no further details or explanation. State prosecutor Gerrie Nel also had to correct Botha when he initially called it “steroids.”

Simasiku later told the AP that the detective, Botha, thought it was testosterone by reading the first few letters of the label.

Pistorius’ lawyer, Barry Roux, said on questioning the detective — who has 16 years’ experience as a detective and 24 years with the police — that it was not a banned substance and that police were trying to give the discovery a “negative connotation.”

“It is an herbal remedy,” Roux said. “It is not a steroid and it is not a banned substance.”

Police “take every piece of evidence and try to extract the most possibly negative connotation and present it to the court,” senior defense lawyer Roux said.

The debate over the substance added another dramatic twist to a case that has already gripped the world’s attention since Steenkamp’s killing at Pistorius’ home last Thursday.

Prosecutor Nel also had to clarify that police were not saying that Pistorius was using the substance, only that it was discovered along with the needles in his bedroom.

Pistorius said Tuesday in a written affidavit and read in court by Roux that he mistakenly killed model Steenkamp in the early hours of Valentine’s Day when he fired four shots into a locked toilet door, hitting his girlfriend three times after thinking she was a dangerous intruder.

The prosecution claims Pistorius intended to kill the 29-year-old Steenkamp after they had a fight.

___

Imray reported from Johannesburg. AP Sports Writers Rob Harris in London and Graham Dunbar in Geneva contributed to this report.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/police-testosterone-needles-found-in-pistorius-bedroom-defense-says-not-banned-substance/2013/02/20/2a8fd3ea-7b4b-11e2-9c27-fdd594ea6286_story.html

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2013, 12:12:18 AM »
Now they remove Botha (the lead investigator) from the case because he's being charged with seven counts of attempted murder in an unrelated matter.  Lol... this case getting stranger by the day.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2013, 07:50:28 AM »
This is some bizarre stuff man.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2013, 07:53:30 AM »
OP break down sobbing in court awaiting bail hearing....

Anyone know the laws in S Africa? Say he didn't mean to shoot his girlfriend.... he still allowed to shoot up someone in the bathroom?
whey boy!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »
Pistorius escapes custody...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2013, 04:31:01 PM »
This man need a jail bad boy
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2013, 04:59:25 PM »
Pistorius Is Granted Bail in Killing of Girlfriend

By LYDIA POLGREEN and ALAN COWELL

PRETORIA, South Africa — After four days of combative hearings, a South African magistrate on Friday granted bail for Oscar Pistorius, the double amputee track star accused of murdering his girlfriend, in a case that has horrified and fascinated the nation and much of the world.

Magistrate Desmond Nair announced the decision after impassioned final arguments from the defense and the prosecution in Courtroom C of the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court.

The prosecution claims that Mr. Pistorius gunned down his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, 29, a model and law school graduate, on Feb. 14 after she locked herself in a small bathroom in his sprawling home in a gated complex here. Mr. Pistorius, 26, says he mistook Ms. Steenkamp for a burglar, and expressed deep anguish at her death.

The prosecution had argued that Mr. Pistorius should not get bail because he could flee the country and had a history of violence. But Magistrate Nair rejected these arguments, saying he did not represent a flight risk and was not likely to interfere with state witnesses.

“The accused has made a case to be released on bail,” he concluded, while the prosecution had not established a case for detaining him, he said. A supporter of Mr. Pistorius in the packed courtroom shouted, “Yes!”

Magistrate Nair set bail at one million rand, about $112,000, an unusually high amount for a murder trial in South Africa, and ordered a series of conditions before the case was adjourned to June 4. Mr. Pistorius was told to relinquish firearms and passports and to avoid his home, which is now declared a crime scene.

Mr. Pistorius was also told that he could not make contact with witnesses, leave the Pretoria area without official permission or use drugs or alcohol while the trial is pending. He was instructed to report to a police station twice a week.

Arnold Pistorius, an uncle who has acted as a family spokesman, told reporters, “We are relieved by the fact that Oscar got bail today, but at the same time, we are in mourning for Reeva Steenkamp and her family.”

But Kim Myers, a friend of Ms. Steenkamp, said: “I think it is important to remember that someone lost their life. We trust and hope that justice will prevail.”

Before announcing his ruling, the magistrate recounted the four days of conflicting arguments by defense and prosecution lawyers.

Magistrate Nair sharply questioned Mr. Pistorius’s account of what happened the night Ms. Steenkamp died, asking why he had fired into the bathroom door without asking who was there, why he had not seen that Ms. Steenkamp was not in the bed beside him when he arose to check out a strange noise, and why he had not fled rather than confront an intruder. These questions are likely to be central to the murder trial.

However, Magistrate Nair also took particular issue with the testimony and actions of the prosecution’s lead investigator, Detective Warrant Officer Hilton Botha, who has since been removed from the case, saying the officer made “several errors and concessions” and “blundered” in gathering evidence.

“It is his evidence that may have been tarnished by cross-examination, not the state case,” he said.

The sprinter was born without fibula bones and underwent double amputation as an infant, and now uses prosthetic legs. His lawyer, Barry Roux, said Friday that if he were prosecuting the case, the charge would be culpable homicide — a less serious charge implying either negligence or a lack of intention to kill.

With his head bowed and his jaw clenched as he entered the court on Friday in advance of the bail ruling, Mr. Pistorius appeared to be struggling to hold back tears, as the prosecutor, Gerrie Nel, described Ms. Steenkamp’s plight on Feb. 14.

“I am not saying the planning of the murder of Reeva Steenkamp happened weeks ahead, days ahead,” Mr. Nel said. “I am saying the planning to kill Reeva Steenkamp happened that night.”

During a morning session before the bail ruling, Magistrate Nair seemed skeptical about the risk that Mr. Pistorius would flee.

“What kind of life would he lead, a person who has to use prostheses, if he has to flee” and found himself “ducking and diving every day” on artificial limbs, the magistrate asked.

“A life not in prison,” Mr. Nel replied, comparing Mr. Pistorius to the WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who has taken refuge in the Ecuadorean Embassy in London, despite his “famous face.”

Piling on emotional pressure on Friday, Mr. Nel linked the death of Ms. Steenkamp to other violence against women in South Africa, including the case of Anene Booysen, a 17-year-old who was raped and murdered in the Cape region earlier this month. “The degree of violence present in this case is horrific,” Mr. Nel said.

The athlete’s longtime coach, Ampie Louw, told reporters on Friday that he was considering putting the athlete back in training “to get his mind clear.”

Mr. Pistorius has canceled planned track appearances, and several corporate sponsors, including Nike on Thursday, have distanced themselves from him.

“The sooner he can start working, the better,” Mr. Louw said.

In an aside to the case, the South Africa edition of Heat, a celebrity gossip magazine, on Friday published what it said was Ms. Steenkamp’s last interview, a week before her death, in which she said the couple had not been discussing their relationship in the media “because I don’t want to get it tainted.”

“I don’t want anything coming in the way of his career,” she said, according to an advance excerpt from the interview. “He’s such an amazing athlete.

“You know what they do, they make things up, ‘Reeva cheats on Oscar,’ and rubbish like that. I wouldn’t want lies about us jeopardizing it.”

Lydia Polgreen reported from Pretoria, and Alan Cowell from London.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/23/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-bail-hearing.html

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2013, 04:59:49 PM »
This man need a jail bad boy

Why?  Allyuh need to get away from them kinda ignorant ways of thinking.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »
So Pistorius' brother is going on trial for killing a woman with his car in 2010.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/24/world/africa/south-africa-pistorius-brother/index.html

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2013, 09:07:20 PM »
Oscar Pistorius gets to travel, and have a drink
28 Mar 2013 13:20 - Phillip De Wet
http://mg.co.za/article/2013-03-28-oscar-pistorius-gets-to-travel-and-have-a-drink

Two bail conditions imposed on murder-accused Olympian Oscar Pistorius have been set aside by the high court in Pretoria.

Pistorius will be able to travel out of the country to compete, the court ruled on Thursday afternoon, and he has also been freed from supervision, meaning he can drink alcohol, and regain a measure of privacy.

After just under two hours of argument, judge Bert Bam was scathing in his criticism of the bail conditions imposed on Pistorius by magistrate Desmond Nair in February. Nair had "misguided himself" on several points, Bam said, was "patently wrong" in places, and had imposed "punitive" conditions on the Blade Runner.

"I could find no reason why the appellant should be forbidden to leave the Republic of South Africa," Bam said, before granting Pistorius all the relaxed bail conditions he had asked for.

The R1-million Pistorius had to put up as guarantee will remain in place, but all the most stringent other conditions were scrapped.

That means Pistorius's lawyers will now hang on to his passport, and provide it whenever he needs to travel. The only requirement is that he provides prosecutors with an itinerary at least a week before leaving the country, and that he return his passport to his attorney within 24 hours of returning to South Africa.

Pistorius was not insensitive to the seriousness of the charges against him, defence advocate Barry Roux argued, and did not want to "jump on a plane and travel outside this country" or have "a nice holiday in Mauritius". But if the opportunity arose to compete, he said, Pistorius would want to travel "under controlled circumstances".

There were no near-term prospects for such competition, Roux conceded, but although the state intends to proceed with the case before the end of the year, things could well drag out beyond that.

Unfair conditions

But prosecutor Gerrie Nel, while saying he could not support all the bail conditions that had been imposed by Nair, on Thursday argued strongly against giving Pistorius back his passport. Pistorius had pre-emptively agreed to surrender his travel documents, Nel said, but now, only a short time later, wanted to argue that requiring him to give up his passport was unfair The National Prosecuting Authority said it would not appeal the ruling, and would focus instead on the upcoming murder trial.

Bam also threw out the bail condition that made Pistorius subject to unannounced visits by probation officers any time of the day or night, saying it was "absolutely unfair, unreasonable" and disregarded his right to privacy. It is, Bam said, a "punitive element inconsistent with the principles of bail".

That leaves Pistorius free to travel around the country, to drink alcohol, and to refuse a drug test.

Bam also confirmed that Pistorius is free to return to his home, where he shot Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day, and need not report to a police station on a regular basis.

In addition, Bam threw out the curious condition that Pistorius would be jailed on being charged with violence against a woman, before any ruling in such a complaint.

During arguments for and against bail in February, Nel said that Pistorius is a flight risk, because he had friends and accommodation abroad, plus a sense of exceptionalism and a lack of appreciation for the seriousness of the crime. When the realisation struck, he implied, Pistorius could hoof it.

Asked by Nair what kind of life Pistorius could expect to lead if he were to run. "A life of freedom," the prosecutor responded. "A life not in prison."

But Roux told the magistrate that Pistorius could not even pass through airport security without his prosthetic legs – and thus his identity – being detected.

Nair laid down bail conditions considerably more strict than the state had asked for. In terms of an agreement between the parties presented to the magistrate, bail would have been set at R250 000, Pistorius would report to a police station twice a week, and he would neither go home nor leave the country.

Nair instead set bail at R1-million, required Pistorius to hand in his firearms, restricted him to Pretoria barring special permission, and made him subject to probation, with spot inspections and drug and alcohol
tests by state officials.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »
Interesting!
More proof that if your lawyer is good enough then anything is possible.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2013, 10:06:07 PM »
Nair laid down bail conditions considerably more strict than the state had asked for. In terms of an agreement between the parties presented to the magistrate, bail would have been set at R250 000, Pistorius would report to a police station twice a week, and he would neither go home nor leave the country.

Nair instead set bail at R1-million, required Pistorius to hand in his firearms, restricted him to Pretoria barring special permission, and made him subject to probation, with spot inspections and drug and alcohol
tests by state officials.

... erring on the side of caution. Literally.

1]; } ?>