May 11, 2024, 05:05:07 PM

Author Topic: Pfister's feelings after first win over Bermuda  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pfister's feelings after first win over Bermuda
« on: September 02, 2011, 09:58:45 PM »
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFF)

Trinidad and Tobago head Otto Pfister, in his post-match comments, stated that he was satisfied with his team earning three points in its opening 2014 World Cup qualifying encounter at home to Bermuda. But he pointed out that the team will develop the right chemistry in time. He mentioned that he will continue to monitor players at home and abroad.

“It was the first official game for us after about nine months. In a game like this… firstly we have not lost…we have won. Secondly we have not conceded goals.

We had a big problem before the game because in the night yesterday, the mother of Stern John die and that was a shock for the team but I spoke to the boys. Maybe we played very well for 30-35 minutes. But like against India, we missed three or four goal opportunities and this we have to work on,” Pfister said in his opening statement.

Asked about the first half change with Keon Daniel coming in for Khaleem Hyland, he replied: “It was not a tactical change. I had an impression Hyland was heavy. He was not in the game. The reason for this is because  the league in Belgium has not started. He’s a great player and he needs time for integration. All this is the first time in history we play with this line up. Nobody is perfect. We need time and I think from game to game we will get better.”

Looking ahead to Tuesday’s game against Bermuda, he said : “The next match is a completely other game. We play outside. Tomorrow  morning I will take report from the doctor to see who is fit or not fit. Then we train and we play.

Asked about the positioning of players and change in roles during the game, he said he had to work with players who can play varying roles.

“Surely I cannot put Kenwyne Jones as a goalkeeper. But in principle  every player has to play in  every position, right side or left side. The team and I need time together to build step by step.”

“We have three points. If you win 10-0 or 1-0 you can only win three points. And we have three points and we move forward.”
He spoke on the issue of overseas and home-based players.

“Today we started with five local players. For me I don’t like this name - overseas players, young player or old player or local player. All these boys have a Trinidad passport.”

“I  take information and if I find a Maradona with a Trinidad passport.. I call him. I have two or three players  I (am looking) at.

When asked to comment on goalkeeper Anthony Warner, Pfister stated: “I saw some records and I took some information. I test him today and I saw his performance. Now I will speak to him and I will make a decision. We have Marvin as a young goalkeeper.  But I had to give him (Warner) a chance.”

T&T Captain Kenwyne Jones: "It was obviously a good way to start the campaign with a victory most importantly. We can only build from here and get better. For me as captain and the  rest of the team, getting the three points was what we set out to accomplish. There are other things we can work on and we will do our best with regards to that. It's about ensurig the team is well focused and developing into that unit that will see us become better as a team as the campaign continues."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Pfister's feelings after first win over Bermuda
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:10:23 PM »
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFF)

Trinidad and Tobago head Otto Pfister, in his post-match comments, stated that he was satisfied with his team earning three points in its opening 2014 World Cup qualifying encounter at home to Bermuda. But he pointed out that the team will develop the right chemistry in time. He mentioned that he will continue to monitor players at home and abroad.

“It was the first official game for us after about nine months. In a game like this… firstly we have not lost…we have won. Secondly we have not conceded goals.

We had a big problem before the game because in the night yesterday, the mother of Stern John die and that was a shock for the team but I spoke to the boys. Maybe we played very well for 30-35 minutes. But like against India, we missed three or four goal opportunities and this we have to work on,” Pfister said in his opening statement.

Asked about the first half change with Keon Daniel coming in for Khaleem Hyland, he replied: “It was not a tactical change. I had an impression Hyland was heavy. He was not in the game. The reason for this is because  the league in Belgium has not started. He’s a great player and he needs time for integration. All this is the first time in history we play with this line up. Nobody is perfect. We need time and I think from game to game we will get better.”

Looking ahead to Tuesday’s game against Bermuda, he said : “The next match is a completely other game. We play outside. Tomorrow  morning I will take report from the doctor to see who is fit or not fit. Then we train and we play.

Asked about the positioning of players and change in roles during the game, he said he had to work with players who can play varying roles.

“Surely I cannot put Kenwyne Jones as a goalkeeper. But in principle  every player has to play in  every position, right side or left side. The team and I need time together to build step by step.”

“We have three points. If you win 10-0 or 1-0 you can only win three points. And we have three points and we move forward.”
He spoke on the issue of overseas and home-based players.

“Today we started with five local players. For me I don’t like this name - overseas players, young player or old player or local player. All these boys have a Trinidad passport.”

“I  take information and if I find a Maradona with a Trinidad passport.. I call him. I have two or three players  I (am looking) at.

When asked to comment on goalkeeper Anthony Warner, Pfister stated: “I saw some records and I took some information. I test him today and I saw his performance. Now I will speak to him and I will make a decision. We have Marvin as a young goalkeeper.  But I had to give him (Warner) a chance.”

T&T Captain Kenwyne Jones: "It was obviously a good way to start the campaign with a victory most importantly. We can only build from here and get better. For me as captain and the  rest of the team, getting the three points was what we set out to accomplish. There are other things we can work on and we will do our best with regards to that. It's about ensurig the team is well focused and developing into that unit that will see us become better as a team as the campaign continues."

interesting take, who are the 2 or 3 players he is looking at?

i also like the fact he is willing to give everyone a chance and wants the players to play in different positions, i think pfister is experimenting with the team, which is good, he has to learn his players, and these games are good to do that with lesser opponents

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:27:10 PM »
the more I hear what this man says the more I like him.....I questioned what he did by playing right footed players on the left side but I realize now that it was about changing a mindset and forcing players to think differently

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 10:57:59 PM »
otto iron fist pfister...de man nuh easy...ah like it...whether yuh win 10-1 or 1-0..is still 3 points...yuh done know...or how dey does say it in german... ruben smubennn erkkkdorf! :beermug:
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 11:18:45 PM »
Nothing he has said is extraordinary ... all that's happened is that he is perhaps extraordinarily frank about ordinary runnings.

Aside from that, some here will learn that at times "our" perceptions and interpretations of on field happenings are too draconian, exaggerated and dramatic.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 11:30:23 PM »
Nothing he has said is extraordinary ... all that's happened is that he is perhaps extraordinarily frank about ordinary runnings.

Aside from that, some here will learn that at times "our" perceptions and interpretations of on field happenings are too draconian, exaggerated and dramatic.

Well aye..de man does call ah spade ah spade, and thast whats needed..and mean he take of hyland cuz he was playing ta-ta...and our trini culture is we does try and always butter shit up...so yuh right...but that is what we need...

And we perceptions on on field happenings...well...we listen to everythuing on de radio...and we passionate about we balll...but then again...look at the commentators we were listening tooo...so based on that alone....what woulkd you expect :beermug:
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 12:00:16 AM »

I like this though:

For me I don’t like this name - overseas players, young player or old player or local player. All these boys have a Trinidad passport.”

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 05:20:16 AM »
His comments resonated with me too. I'm just not entirely as familiar with this definition (or is it caricature?) of Trinbagonians as not being straightshooters ... it's something that seems to have become sort of a tag associated with our national discourse, whether cultural, political or sporting etc. ... His message is spot on. I agree. But implicit in the reaction to his straightforward approach there seems to be a sense that locals characteristically talk wid water in dey mout.

Back in April, Fazeer wrote a commentary alluding to the store of institutional capital Bernie and Otto automatically held
as far as being able to act unfettered ... and he observed that this indulgence wouldn't have been extended to a local. He got ponged fuh dat when he used Latas' restriction to the Paraguay match as an example of tolerance that would not have been meted out to a Trini in the position.

Inherent point: professionalism isn't the exclusive domain of a Beenie or an Iron Pfister. Same thing with straight talk ... which from my vantage point IS part of professionalism, once properly applied (Mr. Minister of Sports take note). We simply have to become a less permissive society and a more accountable society.

Yeah, I get all a dat from post-match comments :) ... but my view is drawn from my ordinary runnings. Say wha ...

Anyway, to the extent that there is a captivating deference to Pfister's "freedom of the Hasely", lehwe see how far into the future his frankness will mesh with the forum's respective idolisation of some players. Pfister's reality show may be too much for some to handle. Interesting thing is Señor Maturana was also an honest broker impeded by language and a lack of receptivity to his message.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:31:30 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 05:29:44 AM »

After what i see yesterday, i know how that conversation with Anthony Warner will go!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »

After what i see yesterday, i know how that conversation with Anthony Warner will go!

ah love it!!

Yuh 2 big and old 2 b a novice plus is New Zeland yuh coming from so thanks fuh yuh intrest and remember after yuh was yuh juzzy doh 4get 2 leave it.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 09:02:33 AM »
Interesting thing is Señor Maturana was also an honest broker impeded by language and a lack of receptivity to his message.
Yes but while Pacho had a "language impediment" (and it was more of an impediment than Pfister's), the lack of receptivity towards his message was held by him alone.  Pfister's message for some reason "resonates"

Perhaps it speaks to asylumseeker's fazeer quote of the "institutional capital to act unfettered" by beenie and otto as opposed to not just local coaches as proven by Pacho.  Even Porters was afforded more respect than other local coaches and Pacho.  I wonder why?

BTW...I too find myself nodding to Pfister's message
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:04:12 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 09:37:11 AM »
welcome to tnt football ironfist, as usual is love u  when we win hate you when we get lix but your style of coaching, decision making that leaves everyone saying this german is ah mad man, i like because in trini nobody sane.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »
i like his idea of playing players in different positions and its their professionalism and technical skills that need to come into play to bridge d gap...e.g. arturo vidal of chile and juventus..d man holding down central defence, left back, left wing right wing defensive mid attacking mid support striker...if we can get more of our players mentallly, physically and tactically versatile like this i think itll bode well...ruffle dem players feathers and move them out of their comfort zones

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 10:25:52 AM »
His comments resonated with me too. I'm just not entirely as familiar with this definition (or is it caricature?) of Trinbagonians as not being straightshooters ... it's something that seems to have become sort of a tag associated with our national discourse, whether cultural, political or sporting etc. ... His message is spot on. I agree. But implicit in the reaction to his straightforward approach there seems to be a sense that locals characteristically talk wid water in dey mout.

Back in April, Fazeer wrote a commentary alluding to the store of institutional capital Bernie and Otto automatically held
as far as being able to act unfettered ... and he observed that this indulgence wouldn't have been extended to a local. He got ponged fuh dat when he used Latas' restriction to the Paraguay match as an example of tolerance that would not have been meted out to a Trini in the position.

Inherent point: professionalism isn't the exclusive domain of a Beenie or an Iron Pfister. Same thing with straight talk ... which from my vantage point IS part of professionalism, once properly applied (Mr. Minister of Sports take note). We simply have to become a less permissive society and a more accountable society.

Yeah, I get all a dat from post-match comments :) ... but my view is drawn from my ordinary runnings. Say wha ...

Anyway, to the extent that there is a captivating deference to Pfister's "freedom of the Hasely", lehwe see how far into the future his frankness will mesh with the forum's respective idolisation of some players. Pfister's reality show may be too much for some to handle. Interesting thing is Señor Maturana was also an honest broker impeded by language and a lack of receptivity to his message.

Doh worry, I doh think yuh overanalyzing... but yuh have to remember that all of this taking place in the particular context of today's world... the age of spin.  Pacho, for a variety of reason didn't really communicate that message in as direct a manner... neither did Latas.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5PBTreqEbcA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5PBTreqEbcA</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/67StMSk4AnQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/67StMSk4AnQ</a>
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:29:12 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5PBTreqEbcA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5PBTreqEbcA</a>

ha ha - pfister doh like labels atall! foreign or local - doh matter. left or right - doh matter (ha ha why carlos cyah be like phillip lamm?)

and he lash de ttff right at de end - t&t de only country in de world taking a 7 month break in football.

:cheers: :cheers:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »
i like his idea of playing players in different positions and its their professionalism and technical skills that need to come into play to bridge d gap...e.g. arturo vidal of chile and juventus..d man holding down central defence, left back, left wing right wing defensive mid attacking mid support striker...if we can get more of our players mentallly, physically and tactically versatile like this i think itll bode well...ruffle dem players feathers and move them out of their comfort zones

I agree but you should do that in friendlies and not in world cup qualifiers!

I know, I know, we haven't had any friendlies minus India for him to experiment with player positions!

Guess Pfister is trying to make do with the cloth he is given!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 08:29:50 AM »

Doh worry, I doh think yuh overanalyzing... but yuh have to remember that all of this taking place in the particular context of today's world... the age of spin.  Pacho, for a variety of reason didn't really communicate that message in as direct a manner... neither did Latas.

I concur.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 08:40:58 AM »
Interesting thing is Señor Maturana was also an honest broker impeded by language and a lack of receptivity to his message.
Yes but while Pacho had a "language impediment" (and it was more of an impediment than Pfister's), the lack of receptivity towards his message was held by him alone.  Pfister's message for some reason "resonates"

Perhaps it speaks to asylumseeker's fazeer quote of the "institutional capital to act unfettered" by beenie and otto as opposed to not just local coaches as proven by Pacho.  Even Porters was afforded more respect than other local coaches and Pacho.  I wonder why?

Agree with this also.

In another thread I commented about Wenger's expansive view of the managerial role ... another sort of expansionist view (although I think an absolutely necessary one in the context of being a NT manager) is that one must understand that platform comes with a public diplomacy role and a private coalition building role. Pacho is more of a technician than a "technocrat".

I can give you other examples of NT coaches whose competencies became challenged because as someone told me yesterday ... doing a good job there is like pissing yuh pants in a dark suit: you get that warm fuzzy feel-good feeling running down yuh legs, but nobody else notices!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 10:38:55 AM »

just say de man white and done nah...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 11:23:14 AM »

just say de man white and done nah...
:rotfl: :rotfl:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>