May 16, 2024, 03:09:02 PM

Author Topic: Great white hope  (Read 7542 times)

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Great white hope
« on: January 09, 2006, 01:37:32 PM »
Great white hope
By Stewart Fisher (Sunday Herald)

TRINIDAD and Tobago will be relying on the loyalties of some unorthodox Soca Warriors this summer. Not only can the island Caribbean nation already lay claim to the support of the Tartan Army, they can also be sure of the efforts of a wholehearted 21-year-old from the Midlands when they take on Group B rivals England in Nuremberg on June 15.
Four years after watching his beloved England take on the world from his local in the Staffordshire town of Stone, Chris Birchall has blazed an unlikely trail to the epicentre of world football. Not only is he the first white player for 60 years to play for Trinidad and Tobago, the country of his mother Jenny’s birth, but he is also the first Port Vale player to appear at the World Cup finals.

“I still can’t believe it,” said the winger, who plays in a more central role for his country. “Me playing on the biggest stage against the best players in the world. In particular, I can’t wait for the England game. I still want England to do well – if they don’t knock us out. I think they have one of the best squads they have ever had and with the players they’ve got they could go far.”

A stunning 30-yard strike in the playoffs against Bahrain means there is little doubt that Birchall has earned his place in Germany, but as late as April last year the player was still pottering around in the Potteries. During a routine Championship League One match against Wrexham, mammoth T&T defender Dennis Lawrence sidled up to him for confirmation that he was indeed eligible for the Soca Warriors. When he answered in the affirmative, the conference duly continued after the game, and before long Lawrence had put him in touch with Mike Berry, who liaises with all Trinidad’s British-based players.

A call-up for the qualifying matches against Panama and Mexico soon followed, fortunately co-inciding with the arrival of veteran Dutch coach Leo Beenhakker and an unlikely upturn in the nation’s fortunes. Birchall has found the entire qualifying experience, clinched with a two-legged play-off against Bahrain, a humbling one. After the away leg victory, Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy were in floods of tears, and Birchall already regards both Latapy and Rangers defender Marvin Andrews as good friends.

“I didn’t realise just how important the game was to him [Latapy],” Birchall said. “He is coming to the end of his time as a player, and after it he just said it meant so much to him, and thanks to me for playing a part. When I was first introduced to the lads it felt a bit like a screen test, but people in Trinidad, they always seem so relaxed. I am also good friends with big Marvin, he is such a friendly guy.”

At the time of his change of allegiance, Birchall’s father Phil had expressed concerns about whether his son would be accepted by the Port of Spain home crowd, but there is little doubt at the moment. Aside from a minor controversy when he had to have the words to the T&T national anthem written down for him to learn, such worries have been overcome with the minimum of fuss.

“That was one of the main things I was worried about, but everything has been fine,” Birchall said. “Not only was I a white guy playing for Trinidad and Tobago for the first time in 60 years but I was also from England – so that is why it has been so great the way I have been accepted. I have been to the local nightclubs and met a lot of the local people.”

His mother was even flown out as guest of honour to the qualifying game against Mexico, at the behest of Trinidad and Tobago’s Concacaf boss Jack Warner.

T&T have no pedigree in the world game, but Beenhakker is the kind of coach who can use that as a weapon. “I don’t think anyone expected us to qualify in the first place,” Birchall said. “I think even the lads were a bit surprised but Beenhakker in not the kind of guy who is going to go anywhere just to make up the numbers. He has brought a lot of confidence to the team so who knows? Nine times out of 10 you would expect England and Sweden to get through but if we can get a point from England or Sweden then who knows what will happen?”

At his age, and stage of his career, Birchall himself can hardly lose after a three-week training camp in Austria is out of the way. “For the month or so that we’re going to be there I am just going to enjoy it all, drink it all in,” he said. “Most of our experienced players know this will be the last chance, the youth set-up is not quite up to standard. In the last four games he [Beenhakker] has been playing Stern John as a striker, with Dwight Yorke back in midfield so I just do his donkey work.”
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 02:36:27 PM by Tallman »
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

MickeyRat

I eh with the title...this white shit.

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
I felt the same way when i see the topic.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

true dat.

and why it is some people on this forum have to put they race in their screen names?...and i eh mean only you triniwhiteboy...it have some with chinee and indian in their screen names here too.

MickeyRat

Not taking anything away from Birchie, but he eh no hope...., he good, he score some nice goals...he might b*ll some one ah all yuh gal, but he eh no hope.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

true dat.

and why it is some people on this forum have to put they race in their screen names?...and i eh mean only you triniwhiteboy...it have some with chinee and indian in their screen names here too.

Me eh see nuthen wrong with dat....
I grow up in trinidad where ppl wasnt so sensitive about race issues
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice

true dat.

I doh see the big deal either, is only in a cosompolitan place like TnT where you pardna nickname could be, Indian, Creaole, Whiteboy, Dougla
lets not get overly sensitive
why yuh think they does call Tallman that name, its not because he have dreads. we identify folks by phisical characteristics.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

true dat.

I doh see the big deal either, is only in a cosompolitan place like TnT where you pardna nickname could be, Indian, Creaole, Whiteboy, Dougla
why yuh think they does call Tallman that name, its not because he have dreads. we identify folks by phisical characteristics.

I agree.  people real jumpy in truth.  Tell me which Trini didn't have a partner in school they used to call "Chinee"?

MickeyRat

true dat.

But you just said it, so why does the author have to single him out as the white hope, considering he is the only white player on the team?  He is more like a "Welcomed addition"  No white hope.

For all the fellas who went College in Trinidad, and they had white friends, did you call them white boys? I'm pretty sure they were considered just another friend.  

Placing skin color to players who are the minority on a team says allot about such player in the context you use the term.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yes we call dem whiteboy....

I could attest to this....
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline PortValeChris

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
This is an old story anyway and it is typical of the Tabloid newspapers to big up Chris Birchall as though it was only due to him (being white) that TnT got through.  As Me Mum would agree, he is only one member of a team, some of who are legends who he looks up to. And he just happens to be white, so what.  True he scored a bullet goal but the second game against Bahrain he was injured early on in the game, did TnT collapse? no they didn't so they are more than capable of doing the busines with out Birchie.  Having said all this, TnT could make a lot of money in Scotland with thousands of TnT tops being sold.
PortValeChris  AKA The Former TVV from onevalefan. 

Port Vale  We want ah goal!!

To market, to market, with my uncle Jim
Somebody threw a tomato at him
Now, Tomatoes don't hurt with their soft juicy skin
But this one it knackered, 'cause it come in a tin

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Aside from a minor controversy when he had to have the words to the T&T national anthem written down for him to learn, such worries have been overcome with the minimum of fuss.

what controversy they talking bout. he learn it and thats that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 07:21:43 PM by morvantman »
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

MickeyRat

true dat.

I agree. people real jumpy in truth. Tell me which Trini didn't have a partner in school they used to call "Chinee"?

Dread, that can be said in conversation, not posted for the world to see.  We now reach the World Cup Stage.  I eh taking nothing away from Chris, but he eh nobody "white hope"

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

true dat.

But you just said it, so why does the author have to single him out as the white hope, considering he is the only white player on the team?  He is more like a "Welcomed addition"  No white hope.

For all the fellas who went College in Trinidad, and they had white friends, did you call them white boys? I'm pretty sure they were considered just another friend.  

De Rat, I think you taking this out of context.  "Great White Hope" as the title of the article is a take off of the title of a boxing movie I believe long time.  I don't think the author is trying to say that Birchall is our big player, or any "white hope", he even quoted Birchall as saying he is only doing Yorke's "donkey work".  It is just a play on the popular movie title.

MickeyRat

true dat.

But you just said it, so why does the author have to single him out as the white hope, considering he is the only white player on the team?  He is more like a "Welcomed addition"  No white hope.

De Rat, I think you taking this out of context.  "Great White Hope" as the title of the article is a take off of the title of a boxing movie I believe long time.  I don't think the author is trying to say that Birchall is our big player, or any "white hope", he even quoted Birchall as saying he is only doing Yorke's "donkey work".  It is just a play on the popular movie title.

I doh think you understand what I'm trying to say. 

Ah man from Europe or Asia now reading this (seeing the title for first time), go ups and think he bring we to the WC.  "ah white boy from England"

Not true.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I agree with you JahYouth...
Also about people thinking that he bring us to the WC, who cares, the relevant people know he is a part of a team....Like Bill Belichick say is a team and nobody is a superstar, we win as a team and lose as a team..
GO Warriors and Patriots (3peat)

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
folks ah think we getting carried away with the title and not reading the message..this is not about TnT or the Soca Warriors..it's about Chris..he started as nothing dreaming about playing with the big boys and now he in the WC..that is where the HOPE comes from Chris hoping one day to make it big and the Soca Warriors made it possible for him..not the other way around..please leave the race talk out, it's just a title to get attention and hopefully get people to read it..but like nobody reading it..they just commenting on the the title.

Big Up Chris and the Soca Warriors!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Dread, that can be said in conversation, not posted for the world to see.  We now reach the World Cup Stage.  I eh taking nothing away from Chris, but he eh nobody "white hope"

In sport "Great White Hope" is a catch phrase that is usually used in the context where a white athlete does well in a black dominated sport (heavy weight boxing, basketball, sprinting etc......) It is not meant to be over-analyzed or even translated literally........It is a harmless slogan, that in modern times is used more for humour than anything else......there is nothing derogatory meant by it, so just relax.......
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 02:48:27 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline monty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Great white hope
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2006, 02:43:31 PM »
Real race on the forum these days man... election time soon perhaps  ???  ** I not implying elections have anything to do with race in Trinidad eh ***  ::)

But reporters need a nice title to grab attention. The man did his homework and it can be construed to mean many things. I for one welcome the 'Great White Hope' and his lazer beam strikes. All of we know it was a team effort (that felt good to say), why we getting heated over this and why do we care about what other people think on the outside? If allyuh fraid that this will cast a shadow of some sorts on the team/country, what de hell you think the whole fiasco with Jack doing?

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 03:03:54 PM »
I like Birchie good player.................but the MEDIA is and always will be sensationalist especially in the U.K.........the will do anything to sell papers ???????????

Good article ..................bad TITLE choice

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile

true dat.

Placing skin color to players who are the minority on a team says allot about such player in the context you use the term.

I think it was more of a tongue in cheek kind of title more than anything...leh we doh geh so sensitive about dat, we all know who MeMum is and his role on the team...he himself said he just does the "donkey work"...ease up ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2006, 03:45:31 PM »
all of a sudden a white boy on de team and we have hope? nah, dey could cool wit dat, its a team effort and de warriors are all about diversity

That is not what Great White Hope means...........jeez.  ???

Historically, the terminology "Great White Hope" was merely an idiom used to describe something that was expected to achieve great success, and there was no racial affiliation to the catch phrase. Eg. A new start up company that showed immense potential to be an industry leader was referred to as the industry's "great white hope".

In modern times, an ethnic twist has been added to the catch phrase (as a pun) so that the slogan is now used to describe a white person expected to be very succesful in a black-dominated arena......

Eminem is an example- he has sometimes been referred to as the Great White Hope of hip hop....

Great White Hope in this article has nothing to do with Birchall suddenly giving T&T football hope. Neither has it anything to do with T&T football needing a white person to give it hope..........Football in Trinidad is a black-dominated sport.....so by deduction, and by proper interpretation of the idiom, Birchall is to some extent, "the Great White Hope" of Trinidad Football.........

chill out people

« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 05:16:39 PM by kicker »

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
Not taking anything away from Birchie, but he eh no hope...., he good, he score some nice goals...he might b*ll some one ah all yuh gal, but he eh no hope.

Dred, doh let some fool, from who knows where, allow "us" to diminish what Chris Birchall brings to de Soca Warriors.

In fact, he does bring HOPE. Not because he is WHITE, but because the core of our team is aging and perhaps won't be there next WC campaign. Birchie brings HOPE in the fact that he is young, energenetic and should be around for some time.

That is HOPE.

Surely, he is not the only one who brings hope to de team, but it just so happens that he is the one the foolish author chose to focus on, and yeah, because he is white and was born in England. Face it, he is a novelty on the team, but he does bring hope.

But lets not allow that to take us apart at the seams. There will be more of that bullshit said between now and de WC. We just have to toughen our sensitive skin to it and remain united in supporting De Soca Warriors.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 04:07:10 PM by slates »
Toujour Pret!

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2006, 04:13:33 PM »
Yeah that title is really ignorant journalism...He should be in marketing not journalism....
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Bernis

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2006, 04:36:45 PM »
In the world of football there is no talk about the colour of your skin. What you do on the field is what counts.

White hope? Silly. The reason that you haven't had a white player in 60 years is not because of the colour, but because there has not been any good white players in 60 years i TnT.

Football is not played with colour it's played with skills and experience.

MickeyRat

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2006, 05:00:25 PM »

Dred, doh let some fool, from who knows where, allow "us" to diminish what Chris Birchall brings to de Soca Warriors.

In fact, he does bring HOPE. Not because he is WHITE, but because the core of our team is aging and perhaps won't be there next WC campaign. Birchie brings HOPE in the fact that he is young, energenetic and should be around for some time.

That is HOPE.

Surely, he is not the only one who brings hope to de team, but it just so happens that he is the one the foolish author chose to focus on, and yeah, because he is white and was born in England. Face it, he is a novelty on the team, but he does bring hope.

But lets not allow that to take us apart at the seams. There will be more of that bullshit said between now and de WC. We just have to toughen our sensitive skin to it and remain united in supporting De Soca Warriors.

Fada, I eh vex about the article, it eh taking us apart.  however, the title is wrong.  Period!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2006, 05:06:46 PM »

Fada, I eh vex about the article, it eh taking us apart. however, the title is wrong. Period!

The title only seems "wrong" because people obviously don't know what the hell is meant by the Great White Hope.......I explained it in an earlier post under this same thread

Don't blame your ignorance on the article
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 05:11:30 PM by kicker »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2006, 06:05:16 PM »

Fada, I eh vex about the article, it eh taking us apart. however, the title is wrong. Period!

The title only seems "wrong" because people obviously don't know what the hell is meant by the Great White Hope.......I explained it in an earlier post under this same thread

Don't blame your ignorance on the article

Whoa...this is amazing...some of us seem to enjoy openly displaying our lack of comprehension skills. Kicker and a few people got it right. There is nothing in the article saying/inferring/implying he is our best player..or our great hope. GREAT WHITE HOPE is a tongue in cheek reference to any white person (Brichall) that is recognizable/excelling in a non-white forum (TnT National Team). Originally it didn't even have anything to do with race and is now a catch-phrase where more often than not, white people make fun of themselves. Jesus...and the article and all HUMBLY described de man's role (straight form the horse's mouth)...to do Yorkie donkey work in midfield.

C'mon...some of you didn't even read the article..if you did....shame on you  :-[ you just saw Great White Hope and went with dat. And all this 'trinis doh see race' is such incredible bull. The fact that some people on this board get so twisted up even when race is mentioned in a non-discriminatory setting, belies the very real tensions that we try to mask. Birchie is white..Yorke is black...we know this and we are very conscious of it. Don't go crazy because you see it in print. Not all mention of race is divisive...

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2006, 07:36:51 PM »
As I  understand it ther term "Great White Hope," started way off in ther early 1900s when America was looking for someone to dethrone the cockyy Black Heavweight Champion of the World, Jack Johnson.

Former Champ, Jim Jefferies was coaxed out of retirement and got proper cut ass.

Then there was a search for the "Great White Hope," for about a decade.

Anyway there is some hope being placed on the shoulders of Birchall, he is white and the author is playign with words. Make it more comical, becz it might seem to an outsider that a bunch of black foks hoping on a whtie boy.

That headline is there to get attention and serves no other purpose.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline lizzard1910

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2006, 04:47:46 AM »
Unfortunately race is an issue far too often. When we had our first black national player in germany (Gerald Asamoah) it was a big issue (no comments against him of course). Now there's another one (Patrick Owomoyela) and it's getting more normal. In the U21 there some players with African or Turkish heritage. I like it.
Another example: I used to play in a team called "Cool & Deadly" on St. Thomas, USVI. Orginally it was a team founded by players from Antigua. But we also had players from St. Croix, Jamaica, St. Vincent, Trinidad, Grenada and thre white players: one from Denmark, one from Peru and myself from Germany. Everybody was welcome and respected inside the team,
but some of the supporters had the opinion we had "too many white players" in the team...(I heard those comments myself).
Just a story...
In general I think Trinidad is very progressive concerning an open / nonracial society

1]; } ?>