May 19, 2024, 07:36:15 AM

Author Topic: John willing to impress Maturana.  (Read 1818 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
John willing to impress Maturana.
« on: February 03, 2008, 11:29:10 AM »
John willing to impress Maturana.
T&T Newsday Reports.

Veteran Trinidad and Tobago striker Stern John is hoping to make a favourable impression on new national coach Francisco Maturana in Wednesday’s friendly football international against Guadeloupe at the Queen’s Park Oval.
The 31-year-old John warmed up for the match by scoring the equaliser for his English Championship Division side Southampton against Crystal Palace yesterday.
John netted in the 84th minute, tapping home a left-sided centre by Andrew Surman, to cancel out James Scowcroft’s 73rd minute opener for the hosts.
The former TT captain is among five British-based national players who will be returning home today to join the national team in their camp, at the Mt Irvine Bay Hotel, Tobago. The other players are goalkeeper Clayton Ince (Walsall), midfielder Silvio Spann (Wrexham) and the strike pair of Kenwyne Jones (Southampton) and Jason Scotland (Swansea).
“I think anytime there’s a new coach, as a player you always have in the back of your head that you want to get off on the right foot,” said John yesterday. “There’s no pressure as such because, as a player, I’m confident in my ability (as) adjusting comes natural in these situations.
“But it is important that all the players show up well in the preparations and give the coach what is necessary in order to help him get the team as (prepared) as possible,” he added.
John, who last played for the national team against Panama on October 11 2006, is hoping to prove to the technical staff, as well as the local public, that he still commands a spot on the team.
“For me I’ve been playing for over ten years now with the national team so I know how to go into a new (coaching) situation,” he said.
“I think it is important that some of us, as (veteran) players, pass on the experience and help the younger guys to settle in as well.
“I think we are up for it and this game on Wednesday is a nice opportunity to get things rolling again,” he added.
Looking ahead to the CONCACAF 2010 World Cup qualifiers (TT will begin its campaign in June), John noted, “we are very anxious to play in front the home crowd again because we definitely will like to reach another World Cup and getting off on a good start is important for the team.”
John is also willing to have a closer look at the newer members (particularly the local-based ones) of the 20-man squad, which was announced last Thursday. Those players include Marvin Phillip, Hayden Tinto, Akile Edwards, Seon Power, Jason Marcano, Khaleem Hyland, Marvin Oliver, Keston Williams, Kern Cupid and Keon Daniel.
“It’s a short time to train together but I think these guys earned the call up because the coach has seen them and once we can work hard and have an understanding from early then there’s no reason why we wouldn’t be able to get our game together and mesh as a team,” he ended.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 06:37:04 AM by Flex »

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: John willing to impress Maturana
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 12:02:58 PM »
Good luck to the Soca Warriors this week!  Onward to 2010!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

1]; } ?>