May 07, 2024, 07:19:45 AM

Author Topic: Jones to switch the focus for Soca Warriors game.  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Jones to switch the focus for Soca Warriors game.
« on: February 01, 2008, 04:14:25 PM »
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones will switch his focus come Sunday away from the Premiership and Anfield as he sets off for Tobago to join his National teammates ahead of Wednesday’s friendly international against Guadeloupe.
Jones, rated among the top strikers in the English Premiership, will line up for Sunderland in their fixture against Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday. That game could possibly see a return to the Sunderland squad for Carlos Edwards from injury while Dwight Yorke is out injured.
Away from the spotlight of the Premiership, Jones is promising a one hundred percent the next time he puts on the National colours, stressing that the game had more significance than just a mere friendly international. He cited the fact that he and some of his teammates will be together again for the first time in over a year and intend to push on with a good start for the 2008 calendar which includes a schedule of World Cup qualifiers for the 2010 Finals in South Africa.
“It’s a big honour to play for your country at any cost. I have been having a great season so far and it will be nice being able to continue that while playing for the national team… It’s been a long time so I’m really looking forward to doing that,” Jones told TTFF Media on Friday.
He added that overall the players are looking forward to representing the country at the Queen’s Park Oval.
“Everyone is overjoyed about the fact of coming back and playing for Trinidad again. Were back in the swing of things and playing for the crowd again in Trinidad. I think everyone has the same feeling as I do.”
With Francisco Maturana running the show from this weekend at the live-in training camp in Tobago, Jones is anticipating his first meeting with the Colombian.
“I’m definitely looking forward to working with the new coach. I think we have a decent number of new players in the squad so it will be a new experience working with them and I am looking forward to the challenge. I think whether it be club or country when a new manager comes in I think it gives everyone a lift. All the players and even the coaching staff try to bring the best out of themselves. I think it will be great opportunity for players and staff to get to know each other and try and move Trinidad and Tobago football forward,” Jones continued.
“I think every game you are playing for your country is a big game and this one will be treated as such. We are coming out to give one hundred percent and hopefully the team that is put together will go out and do a good job and get the ball rolling for the qualifiers.”
Looking ahead to Saturday’s match versus Liverpool, the big striker added: “At the moment that is my first priority and now every game is a big one for us. We need points to get out of the relegation zone and Liverpool is even more massive because of its history and the squad of players. ” Jones added.
The 13-home based players plus Hungary-based midfielder Densill Theobald settled in at the Mt Irvine Bay Hotel on Friday and will continue preparations at the Dwight Yorke Stadium on Saturday. The invited overseas pros – Silvio Spann, Stern John, Clayton Ince, Collin Samuel, Jason Scotland and Jones will arrive in Tobago on Sunday.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 04:24:14 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jones to switch the focus for Soca Warriors game.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 01:29:02 AM »
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones will switch his focus come Sunday away from the Premiership and Anfield as he sets off for Tobago to join his National teammates ahead of Wednesday’s friendly international against Guadeloupe.
Jones, rated among the top strikers in the English Premiership, will line up for Sunderland in their fixture against Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday. That game could possibly see a return to the Sunderland squad for Carlos Edwards from injury while Dwight Yorke is out injured.
Away from the spotlight of the Premiership, Jones is promising a one hundred percent the next time he puts on the National colours, stressing that the game had more significance than just a mere friendly international. He cited the fact that he and some of his teammates will be together again for the first time in over a year and intend to push on with a good start for the 2008 calendar which includes a schedule of World Cup qualifiers for the 2010 Finals in South Africa.
“It’s a big honour to play for your country at any cost. I have been having a great season so far and it will be nice being able to continue that while playing for the national team… It’s been a long time so I’m really looking forward to doing that,” Jones told TTFF Media on Friday.
He added that overall the players are looking forward to representing the country at the Queen’s Park Oval.
“Everyone is overjoyed about the fact of coming back and playing for Trinidad again. Were back in the swing of things and playing for the crowd again in Trinidad. I think everyone has the same feeling as I do.”
With Francisco Maturana running the show from this weekend at the live-in training camp in Tobago, Jones is anticipating his first meeting with the Colombian.
“I’m definitely looking forward to working with the new coach. I think we have a decent number of new players in the squad so it will be a new experience working with them and I am looking forward to the challenge. I think whether it be club or country when a new manager comes in I think it gives everyone a lift. All the players and even the coaching staff try to bring the best out of themselves. I think it will be great opportunity for players and staff to get to know each other and try and move Trinidad and Tobago football forward,” Jones continued.
I think every game you are playing for your country is a big game and this one will be treated as such. We are coming out to give one hundred percent and hopefully the team that is put together will go out and do a good job and get the ball rolling for the qualifiers.”
Looking ahead to Saturday’s match versus Liverpool, the big striker added: “At the moment that is my first priority and now every game is a big one for us. We need points to get out of the relegation zone and Liverpool is even more massive because of its history and the squad of players. ” Jones added.
The 13-home based players plus Hungary-based midfielder Densill Theobald settled in at the Mt Irvine Bay Hotel on Friday and will continue preparations at the Dwight Yorke Stadium on Saturday. The invited overseas pros – Silvio Spann, Stern John, Clayton Ince, Collin Samuel, Jason Scotland and Jones will arrive in Tobago on Sunday.
That's what I like to hear (and also see) from our overseas players....dont care if its PR or Guadelope we playing.....one hundred percent should be given by every player, every game!!

Offline Cartman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 01:46:00 AM »
Kenwynne has been fabulous for Sunderland this season, our best player in fact and Keane rates him as the best striker in the PL, he says he would not sel him for £40m  :o

I can't beleive at Southampton he was accused of being lazy, he runs his ass off for 90 minutes at Sunderland.

Carlos isn't fit yet, probably another couple of weeks, he must be really gutted as he has hardly played this season. We expected so much from Carlos this season and I am convinced if both he and Keiran Richardson had remained fit this season we would be a lot higher up the league.

Bring on Liverpool, easy 3 points eh  ;D
Roy Keane's Red & White Army

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 10:26:54 AM »
Kenwynne has been fabulous for Sunderland this season, our best player in fact and Keane rates him as the best striker in the PL, he says he would not sel him for £40m  :o

I can't beleive at Southampton he was accused of being lazy, he runs his ass off for 90 minutes at Sunderland.

Carlos isn't fit yet, probably another couple of weeks, he must be really gutted as he has hardly played this season. We expected so much from Carlos this season and I am convinced if both he and Keiran Richardson had remained fit this season we would be a lot higher up the league.

Bring on Liverpool, easy 3 points eh  ;D

Cartman, notice how every season ah Trini saving Sunderland bacon eh   ;D
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline Cartman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 10:05:33 AM »
Could have done with a team full of Trini's yesterday, we were terrible in the 2nd half. We could not hold the ball up and really missed Yorke in the middle pulling the strings.

Gutted about Richardson, done his hamstring again after about 30 seconds, it was game over from then imo

We move on, simple as
Roy Keane's Red & White Army

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 10:44:47 AM »
Cartman, good to see you back. How come website home-based Sunlun fans like you and all the thousand "Mackems" got so silent after promotion, .... or is after Edwards (your favourite?) got sidelined with injury?  ;D
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

1]; } ?>