General > General Discussion
Witness recounts Strange things at Akiel’s death scene
<< < (8/9) > >>
zuluwarrior:
As the calypso say ( d law is ah ass ) all the evidence was right dey in the police facking face but they choose to  close they eyes ,ears ,and ass and not pay attention , or maybe they was watching the white woman . she should be locked up for covering up evidence in a crime scene . 
Touches:
COPS BACK ON CASE

BY FRANCIS JOSEPH

The Homicide Bureau is pursuing vigorously investigations into the mysterious death of 11-year-old schoolboy, Akiel Chambers, more than ten years ago.

Akiel, a student of Blackman’s Private School in Maraval, was discovered in the swimming pool of Charles and Annelore James at Balata Terrace, Haleland Park, Maraval, on May 24, 1998, hours after he went missing, while attending a birthday party at the same residence.

Senior Supt Ruthven Paul, head of the Homicide Bureau, told the T&T Guardian yesterday that the circumstances surrounding Akiel’s death had been a concern for him for some time.

Asked if the police were reopening the case, Paul said the case was never closed. Without saying too much at this stage, Paul has asked for Akiel’s file to see what further can be done in light of recent pronouncements from Martin Daly, SC, president of the Law Association, and comments made by certain persons in the T&T Guardian’s “Unsolved Mysteries” series. In August, the Guardian carried a six-part series

The file, he added, was with a police inspector in the Homicide Bureau.

According to Paul, there are some persons the police would want to interview, in light of recent developments.

Paul is no stranger to high-profile investigations. He was the officer who charged Dole Chadee and nine members of his gang for the murders of four members of a Williamsville family in January, 1994.

In that case, he worked closely with James Philbert, who is now the acting Commissioner of Police.

Paul was the officer who charged Yasin Abu Bakr, leader of the Jamaat Al Muslimeen, in 2003, with conspiracy to murder two expelled members of the Jamaat.

The case collapsed in 2005, after two prosecution witnesses recanted their stories.

One of the people happy that the police intend to continue the investigations is Desmond Allum, SC, president of the Criminal Bar Association, who led the team of attorneys who represented the Chambers family at the coroner’s inquest.

Allum told the T&T Guardian:

“After the coroner’s inquest, I submitted a report to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), dealing specifically with three things. The most important was the last piece of material evidence which we considered to be most valuable to the case.”

Allum asked that DNA-testing be done on the pair of swim trunks which Akiel was wearing when his body was fished out of the swimming pool.

“I told the DPP that if the DNA test could not be done here in Trinidad, it should be sent abroad. We felt that this was a vital piece of evidence which could help the police find the person(s) responsible for this boy’s death.”

Allum said he made this request within six weeks of the conclusion of the coroner’s inquest.

“But there was no reply, and I felt that was the end of the matter. If this case is allowed to die a natural death, this would remain a stain on the country. We hope that the police would now make headway in their investigations.”

Sources told the T&T Guardian that the red trunks was sent abroad for testing by the police, and the results are back in the country.

When contacted yesterday, Daly, speaking in his personal capacity, said:

“I am delighted by the news. I hope the police are serious, because I always had a bad taste in my mouth about this, because of the lack of interest in such a shocking crime.”

Coroner Sherman McNicolls ruled in 2004 that someone was guilty of the death of Akiel Chambers, and sent the file back to the Commissioner of Police for further investigations.

Akiel was invited to the birthday party of Carrie James. He was taken there by his aunt, Valarie Pascall, who instructed him not to bathe in the swimming pool.

When Pascall returned at 6 pm for him, Akiel was no where to be found.

Despite searches by the police and other persons, Akiel was not found that night. The police searched the pool that night, but there was no one there.

The following morning, Carrie James and two of her friends swam in the pool for more than an hour. They did not see anyone in the pool.

After the girls came out to have breakfast, the police returned to the James’ home and found Akiel’s body floating in the pool. He was dressed only in the red swim trunks which had been loaned to him by a parent attending the party the day before.

A post-mortem revealed that Akiel died from suffocation and that he had been sexually assaulted.
Touches:
Now the dna evidence was "lost" or destroyed a number of years ago. Which is why the case was "dismissed"

But at the time they said the boy had signs of abuse and the molestation was a over a period.

Thus I feel is more than one person interfere with the little boy.

Also too I feel the perpetrator will get away with a reduced sentence. Is one thing to prove yuh interfere with the child but is another thing to prove yuh actually kill him. Also too I sure is more than one person kill him and I sure somebody see, and somebody else cover up....all of them should get lock up.

I does just get vex when I read bout this case but all will come to light just now. Let us hope justice is served.

weary1969:
Wake me up when dey lock up somebody
Brownsugar:
I was really surprised when I read aobut the DNA extraction in the papers this morning because I, like you Touches, coulda swear it was said all de samples dey had was too degraded some years ago....well there is a glimmer of hope now I guess....ah really hope dey hold somebody once and for all....
And before ah forget, Mr. Martin Daly SC need special mention on this case.  Mr. Daly used to mention Akiel name every chance he get when he write he columns....he never gave up and let this die, like so many other issues that fall by the wayside over time....
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version