May 05, 2024, 01:37:34 PM

Author Topic: Lawrence voiced his disappointment as some supporters’  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Lawrence voiced his disappointment as some supporters’
« on: April 25, 2006, 07:00:40 AM »
Lawrence voiced his disappointment as some supporters’
News-Herald.
[/size]

Dennis Lawrence voiced his disappointment as some supporters’ reaction to defeat at Torquay United on Saturday. A 1-0 defeat at struggling Torquay United on Saturday has all but ended Wrexham’s chances of reaching the play-offs and frustrated fans, who made the 500-mile round trip, criticised some players’ performances at Plainmoor, including Darren Ferguson, following the final whistle which saw an angry confrontation.
Reds’ Captain Lawrence said fans have a right to their opinion but was unhappy at some of the verbal abuse thrown at Ferguson.
“I was disappointing to lose and we are not in a position we would like to be in. We have to take all the blame,” said Lawrence today. “The fans have been brilliant but they should not be allowed to speak to players like the small minority did to Darren and I back his reaction because it was way out of order.
“Fans are obviously disappointed as much as us and entitled to their opinion but it was not right to speak in the manner a small minority did. We have to take responsibility, it starts with us but it was not right the way some reacted.
“All we did was go over and respond to the fans, thank them and show our appreciation for their efforts in making the long journey to Torquay. We were all disappointed to lose.”
Wrexham’s assistant manager Kevin Russell also spoke of the disappointment at Wrexham’s disastrous end of season run-in.
The Reds are now five points of the crucial seventh position but only have two matches remaining and Russell admitted everyone at the club was disappointed on not capitalising on an excellent position.
“The players are not happy neither,” said Russell. “Over the last couple of weeks we have lost silly games we should have won. The fans are right to be unhappy, we were in a decent position, but we are more disappointed than anyone,” Russell said today.
“But at the start of the season survival was the main thing. We were going well and on this occasion we have fallen short. We never expected to do that but the schedule of four games in eight days did not help.
“I am not making excuses but injuries have not helped. I would not fault the lads for effort. We want success as much as our supporters. They are upset but I can justify to them that we are as much as them.
It does hurt at all levels - we don’t like losing matches on the training ground.”
Other results went in favour of Wrexham but manager Denis Smith was just concerned about how his side performed. Smith admitted Wrexham have blown their chances of reaching the play-offs and expects to be playing in League Two.
“I am not the slightest bit interested in other results,” said Smith. “If we perform then we get our just rewards. I don’t want to rely on other people to do things for us.
“This run has killed the season. Two weeks ago we were cast iron certainties to make the play-offs. Now I am thinking thank god we have got points on the board or we would get relegated. Why? I don’t know, you would have to ask the players because I have run out of things to say to them and ideas to get them going.
“You can’t say they did not try but it looks as though there is no belief in the efforts. It is the end product. People are only interested in the results; we live and die by them. We should not be coming to Torquay and getting beat.
“Unfortunately we are running out of games and it looks like we are going to be in this league next season. We have to make sure we do better but I have got two games to salvage some pride before now and the end of the season.
“If you ask me if I am happy about it, the answer is no. If anybody wants to give me stick I am quite happy to talk to them but they had better be brave people.”
Smith could not fault his players’ efforts at Torquay but admitted confidence was low.
“It’s a new game we’ve decided on over the last couple of weeks - start poorly, let them get in the game but control it and don’t create anything. It’s not very good.
“We’re determined to keep the league alive at the bottom I think,” added Smith. “It is confidence I expect, what is going on in between the ears.”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>