May 17, 2024, 08:24:36 AM

Author Topic: CPLT20 2013 2nd Match - T&T Red Steel vs Guyana Amazon Warriors  (Read 8780 times)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CPLT20 2013 2nd Match - T&T Red Steel vs Guyana Amazon Warriors
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2013, 08:09:40 PM »
how were the teams picked?  and how does this franchise thing work?

Draft system. It wasn't a auction where the highest bidder win. Tottaly random . Some teams get lucky picking players first from each round.

Each Franchise is owned by a company at least the ones that were bought. Trinidad owned by a European telecom company. They responsible for wages ,bonus, bills etc

Edit. Guyana kit ugly boy

Thx DHW, trying to assess how motivated players who not from a given island would be playing for their team. Not like these are true clubs but rather franchises associated with each island. The whole thing just seems a bit bizarre and I get the need for the format just bizarre really. 
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2013, 08:15:44 PM »
Its the same all over the world. Caribbean now joining in. I guess its new so it will take time for people to adjust. After a few seasons people will get accustomed to it.

You know just the other day I was saying the regional format probably needs scraping to improve the quality of cricket. Especially the insularity that exist
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2013, 08:20:16 PM »
But the thing is in the rest of the world is based on cities, but given our make up it has to be based on island states which is where the bizareness comes in b/c of nationality. I could be from Barataria and gladly play ball for Connection if my best offer is from there vs Jabloteh/BBP; but would my heart be in playing for the trident? I know cricket is different but imagine Messi playing for a Brazil franchise  ???
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: CPLT20 2013 2nd Match - T&T Red Steel vs Guyana Amazon Warriors
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2013, 08:26:05 PM »
But the thing is in the rest of the world is based on cities, but given our make up it has to be based on island states which is where the bizareness comes in b/c of nationality. I could be from Barataria and gladly play ball for Connection if my best offer is from there vs Jabloteh/BBP; but would my heart be in playing for the trident? I know cricket is different but imagine Messi playing for a Brazil franchise  ???

Thats the thing. Under ICC definition we are not countries but territories. We just have to get accustomed to it. Money is name of the game now. Crowds big so far thats all that matters for the business men.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2013, 08:29:39 PM »
Yeah, at the end of the day it makes financial sense and I get that. Hopefully WICBC puts the profits to good use. Will def take some getting used to, at least for me; strange watching Polly, Emrit, Simmo and others reppin Guy/B'dos etc. 

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »
Tevez played there
Live large and prosper!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2013, 09:31:29 PM »
Played for a brazilian club not a national franchise, b/c no need for it o exist, since we compete as WI national cricket clubs exist..i get it, just strange..

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2013, 06:50:43 AM »
We are countries and not cities as one explained and the people who came up with the franchise should have thought about the differences of the people.Each island has its own unique culture and even the differences in the population make up.TT especially is the most unique of all the islands,historically we are also very different,we were ruled by the Spanish until 1797 so there was never the same history.When people say we are the same it's really a mistake,the only thing that makes us one is cricket and breaking that up does not make sense to many of us.Franchise or not I dont see why we should have been weakened so much so that we have lostall our best players.They have left us with a second 11 and of that I dont rate Darren Bravo,Cummins,Guillen,Benn and Jacobs as good replacements for 20/20 cricket,we would have been better off with a full Trini squad,Navin Stewart,Sherwin Ganga,Jason Mohammed,Sookdeosingh,Evin Lewis the Ottleys etc.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2013, 08:19:28 AM »
Irrespective of which island you came from,it should not be some thing new as they play against one another in the big bash and ipl,I think its us the fans who are exhibiting our sense of terretoial bias,case in point would be the scism with some of the Bagan fans on the issue of Pollard being given the captaincy of the Barbados franchise
If the same philosophy being used for the CPL was applied to the one day and four day games just maybe our game may improve,and I said maybe
I am saying this as its obvious that some territories produce more of a certain player and others may not and by farming out some surplus we are there by strenghting a weaker teams thus uplifting the product

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2013, 08:24:19 AM »
Keep this in mind...the only constant in life is change
Some prepare for it some adjust while others fight,sooner or later we accept it
The quicker we accept,we can go passed the learning curve and begin to inovate...change has come again... :devil:

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2013, 08:33:20 AM »
Sense Sharjin/Frico. I think we can all agree that this makes financial sense, so here it is. On one hand the TT franchise is seemingly weakened, but one could argue an opportunity for a larger # of players from any nation to gain more visibility.

What would be ideal is if the profits were used by WICBC to re-develop the regional game particularly in ODI and test; if this does not happen or no proper planning is put in place to leverage/utilize these profits it would have been for nought IMO

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2013, 10:47:03 AM »
Keep this in mind...the only constant in life is change
Some prepare for it some adjust while others fight,sooner or later we accept it
The quicker we accept,we can go passed the learning curve and begin to inovate...change has come again... :devil:

Breds, you speak like a borse. You can be both West Indian and anything. That is your birthright. Tell them Deeks give allyuh that. like I pointed out in a football post, Wes hall play for TT. He and Bernard Julien were the pace bowlers when we won our first 2 Shell Shield under Joey Carew. Them Bajans did not say boo. As a matter of fact, with Wes playing for TT, it freed up space for another young Bajan. If they grab our "best" to balance out the other teams, then that is good for us in an ironic way. It leave a spot for up and coming young trini to fill that void. Look how they treated us in the Indian series. The TTCB had to argue to get players. Those who control the purse make the rules. The fans in the end have the final say. Don't go to the Oval. This is the new dimension for cricket as far as 20/20. The sponsors of 20/20 are doing away with borders and nationalities. You still have 1 days and test. Boring!!!!

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2013, 01:45:39 PM »
What if we had taken Wes Hall,Seymour Nurse,Gary Sobers and Peter Lashley,would they have been happy bout that.Wes Hall was never anything to talk about in Caribbean cricket he used to get good licks maybe that is why Bajans didn't say boo.I would just like to point out that I have lived most of my life in England and I am not insular in anyway,I am willing to learn and accept the franchise but I still feel that for us to lose our best players is to much to digest.Look at the players we got,the only one I rate is Kevin O'Brian,Benn has hardly played any 20/20 cricket and he is not the type of character we need,Cummins is not a 20/20 player,Jacobs has been recovering from an operation,shall i say more.West Indians will never be one people,in fact the rest of the Caribbean all hate we Trinis,I'll never forget when I first got a job in this factory in England,its workers were all Caribbean people and they all used to tell me how they hate Trinis,they still do today,that business about we are all the same people is pure rubbish.I tell people that I am Trinidadian,I dont even say Trinbagonian because even Tobagonians dont like us.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2013, 07:51:03 PM »
What if we had taken Wes Hall,Seymour Nurse,Gary Sobers and Peter Lashley,would they have been happy bout that.Wes Hall was never anything to talk about in Caribbean cricket he used to get good licks maybe that is why Bajans didn't say boo.I would just like to point out that I have lived most of my life in England and I am not insular in anyway,I am willing to learn and accept the franchise but I still feel that for us to lose our best players is to much to digest.Look at the players we got,the only one I rate is Kevin O'Brian,Benn has hardly played any 20/20 cricket and he is not the type of character we need,Cummins is not a 20/20 player,Jacobs has been recovering from an operation,shall i say more.West Indians will never be one people,in fact the rest of the Caribbean all hate we Trinis,I'll never forget when I first got a job in this factory in England,its workers were all Caribbean people and they all used to tell me how they hate Trinis,they still do today,that business about we are all the same people is pure rubbish.I tell people that I am Trinidadian,I dont even say Trinbagonian because even Tobagonians dont like us.

We are all insular in some form or fashion. If you really weren't insular this franchise system would not be that hard to understand. We understand the IPL with no problems. We even understand Frenchmen managing English Premier League clubs. It is a global world and we can either move forward in the global community or remained entrenched in our tribalism. No wonder CARICOM and CSME can't work. I am not suggesting that we have no sense of nationality, but West Indies cricket dates back to the 1890s, so the idea of different nationalities representing the region in cricket is not new. This system is simple, even though they're using the country tags. There have been no complaints about Irishmen, South Africans, Pakistanis, etc. representing Barbados, Antigua, Guyana, T&T, etc. So if that isn't a problem then clearly it is insularity preventing us from accepting a simple club system as this T20 tournament. I am watching Pollard giving 100% to ensure that his team beats Red Steel and Fidel Edwards celebrating his wicket in a lost cause as if his life depending on it. We have a choice now of supporting our favourite players in addition to supporting our national franchise. I'll admit that it is weird seeing Emrit and Pollard playing for the Tridents, but we have a lot more to gain from having our players rubbing shoulders with Misbah ul-Haq, Hafeez, Murali, Ross Taylor, Philander and Ponting. Pooran would not have gotten his opportunity to make that great score the other night with Ramdin in the team. My only regret is that T20 cricket in of itself does nothing to improve the standard of regional cricket and it might be time to open up all our competitions to this franchise model.

I've heard Trinis say all the time that no one else in the region and from my experiences that has not been the case. If Tobagonians and other Caribbean people don't like us then we need to look at ourselves a little closer to understand why. I've heard Trini people speak to people from other islands in the most disrespectful manner. We need to stop complaining and whining about the way we treat people and start treating people better, starting with our Tobagonian brothers and sisters.

Back to the cricket, our team is not that bad. We were in the game against the Amazon Warriors, but a couple bad decisions while in the field and poor batting let us down. We still only lost be 19 runs. We are better than the 52 runs we made tonight, but already have the Tridents 32-4. Fidel has been bowling like a beast and even Benn has bowled the odd good one in between some indifferent stuff. I think we'll get better as the tournament progresses.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »
Good summary wolf, the only thing I'd tackle is how to improve the standard of regional cricket, that's where the doe should flow, so I re-state, unless there is a solid plan to put the doe to good use it would be all for nought

1]; } ?>