May 09, 2024, 03:50:00 PM

Author Topic: Panorama 2011  (Read 21643 times)

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Panorama 2011
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »
ahright, meh band Silver Star coming up now.

I hope they improved over the pan yard version I heard on youtube because it was real rough.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »
So far I like All Stars, Phase II,Fonclaire, Silver Stars, Despers, Invaders and Solo.
Renegades and Angel Harps sound O.K.
Sound Setters and Our Boys need some work.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 09:55:25 PM »
silver stars just mash up d place (some might say the majority of the arrangement was 'runs', but those runs were very melodious)

so far, despers, solo, all stars and silver stars leading d race

phase II need work. their arrangement was full of strumming. not much melody
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 10:36:28 PM »
All Stars, Phase II,Fonclaire, Silver Stars,Exodus, Despers, Invaders and Solo in for sure.
Renegades, Angel Harps, Sound Setters, Birdsong and Our Boys maybe.
Starlift, Deltones, Skiffle Bunch are out in my opinion .
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:19:03 PM by che »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 11:36:42 PM »
Large bands Results:

15   Birdsong (239pts)
15   Our Boys (239pts)
14   TCL Group Skiffle Bunch (241pts)
13   Bp Renegades (243pts)
12   Solo Harmonites (247pts)
11   T&TEC Tropical Angel Harps (249pts)

------------

10 RBC/RBTT Redemption Soundsetters (250pts)
9   Starlift (253pts)
8   Petrotrin Siparia Deltones (256pts)
7   Caribbean Airlines Invaders (259pts)
6   Desperadoes (260pts)
5   NLCB Fonclaire (262pts)
4   Sagicor Exodus (264pts)
3   Neal & Massy Tdad All Stars (269pts)
1   Petrotrin Phase 11 Pan Groove (270pts)
1   PCS Silver Stars (270pts)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:31:41 PM by Socapro »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 11:42:40 PM »
Judging Criteria

Maximum Points for Adjudication – During each stage of the competition, every steelband shall be
marked on the basis of a maximum of 100 points.

Adjudication Criteria – Each steelband shall be awarded points for the following categories:-

Arrangement – a maximum of 40 points shall be awarded under this category

General Performance - a maximum of 40 points shall be awarded under this category

Tone - a maximum of 10 points shall be awarded under this category

Rhythm - a maximum of 10 points shall be awarded under this category.

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 09:29:11 AM »
Was the semi-final shown on local tv?..if so, which station carried it? thanks.
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »

I hope they improved over the pan yard version I heard on youtube because it was real rough.

I would say placing 1st is a vast improvement from the Panyard version. Who knows which version was recorded on youtube. Once yuh on stage yuh have to bring it.
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 10:29:51 AM »

yes it was. NCC channnel 4

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2011, 10:31:21 AM »
Large bands Results:

15   Birdsong (239pts)
15   Our Boys (239pts)
14   TCL Group Skiffle Bunch (241pts)
13   Bp Renegades (243pts)
12   Solo Harmonites (?pts)
11   T&TEC Tropical Angel Harps (?pts)

------------

10 RBC/RBTT Redemption Soundsetters (250pts)
9   Starlift (253pts)
8   Petrotrin Siparia Deltones (256pts)
7   Caribbean Airlines Invaders (259pts)
6   Desperadoes (260pts)
5   NLCB Fonclaire (262pts)
4   Sagicor Exodus (264pts)
3   Neal & Massy Tdad All Stars (269pts)
1   Petrotrin Phase 11 Pan Groove (270pts)
1   PCS Silver Stars (270pts)

Renegades out wow
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »

yes it was. NCC channnel 4

Thanks steups!! As usual salt for bago peeps.
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2011, 11:46:38 AM »
Pan lovers see red over Greens

By Wayne Bowman wayne.bowman@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Feb 20, 2011 at 11:50 PM ECT
Story Updated: Feb 21, 2011 at 7:58 AM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/carnival/Pan_lovers_see_red_over_Greens-116579098.html

Pan lovers and Pan Trinbago officials were yesterday upset over the lack of respect shown to the National instrument by patrons liming on the Greens at the Queen's Park Savannah, Port of Spain, during the National Panorama semi-finals.

On several occasions yesterday, the house announcer had to plead with the DJ sound systems and rhythm sections to stop playing when the steel orchestras were performing before the judges. These calls for the music to stop were, for the most part, ignored and the DJ music could be heard in the Grand Stand.

It was an alarming sight on the Greens, with a couple thousand people packed into the area, which also housed tents, bar-b-que pits, buffet tables and large bars. There were also sound systems, stages with rhythm sections, steel ensembles and even a small brass band. In effect, there were several mini fetes taking place on the Greens.
Pan Trinbago Vice President, Byron Serette, was clearly upset over the situation, but told the Express the people on the Greens had purchased tickets to attend the event just as everyone else. He said Pan Trinbago did have stipulations on use of the Greens, but everything just seemed to be "thrown out the window" yesterday.
"Never again," Serette said.

Shortly after Serette said this, however, things got worse when the DJs refused to stop their music when the Renegades Steel Orchestra was about to play. Although the police was asked by the announcer to deal with the situation, it took several minutes for the music to cease. During this time the band refused to play, with their decision being supported by the cheering patrons in the Grand and North stands.

Renegades were on stage from 7 p.m. and did not actually begin playing until 7.16 p.m.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »
Pan lovers see red over Greens

By Wayne Bowman wayne.bowman@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Feb 20, 2011 at 11:50 PM ECT
Story Updated: Feb 21, 2011 at 7:58 AM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/carnival/Pan_lovers_see_red_over_Greens-116579098.html

Pan lovers and Pan Trinbago officials were yesterday upset over the lack of respect shown to the National instrument by patrons liming on the Greens at the Queen's Park Savannah, Port of Spain, during the National Panorama semi-finals.

On several occasions yesterday, the house announcer had to plead with the DJ sound systems and rhythm sections to stop playing when the steel orchestras were performing before the judges. These calls for the music to stop were, for the most part, ignored and the DJ music could be heard in the Grand Stand.

It was an alarming sight on the Greens, with a couple thousand people packed into the area, which also housed tents, bar-b-que pits, buffet tables and large bars. There were also sound systems, stages with rhythm sections, steel ensembles and even a small brass band. In effect, there were several mini fetes taking place on the Greens.
Pan Trinbago Vice President, Byron Serette, was clearly upset over the situation, but told the Express the people on the Greens had purchased tickets to attend the event just as everyone else. He said Pan Trinbago did have stipulations on use of the Greens, but everything just seemed to be "thrown out the window" yesterday.
"Never again," Serette said.

Shortly after Serette said this, however, things got worse when the DJs refused to stop their music when the Renegades Steel Orchestra was about to play. Although the police was asked by the announcer to deal with the situation, it took several minutes for the music to cease. During this time the band refused to play, with their decision being supported by the cheering patrons in the Grand and North stands.

Renegades were on stage from 7 p.m. and did not actually begin playing until 7.16 p.m.

this is why i stay home and take een d pan on tv. dis pan semis turning into a damn pappy show

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2011, 01:51:27 PM »
Katzenjammers and NLCB Buccooneers 1-2 in the medium band category.....whoo hoo!!!  Bring it Tobago!!!  Now for the Grand finale....... :beermug: :beermug:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2011, 02:14:47 PM »
Katzenjammers and NLCB Buccooneers 1-2 in the medium band category.....whoo hoo!!!  Bring it Tobago!!!  Now for the Grand finale....... :beermug: :beermug:

I did enjoy Buccooneers performance.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 02:16:24 PM by Bitter »

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2011, 04:08:27 PM »

I would say placing 1st is a vast improvement from the Panyard version. Who knows which version was recorded on youtube. Once yuh on stage yuh have to bring it.

:beermug:

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2011, 08:25:26 PM »
anybody else thought exodus was bad? or was it just me?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FRwCExVVNsA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FRwCExVVNsA</a>

Trying to find video of Fonclair's performance as they were just as good as this if not better by my ears!!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »
anybody else thought exodus was bad? or was it just me?

I was now listeneng to the panorama properly in the car. Exodus was terrible.
I would have put Our Boys and Skiffle Bunch in before them
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:44:57 PM by Bitter »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »
Renegades to PanTrinbago: Reinstate us
Wednesday, February 23 2011
http://newsday.co.tt/carnival_2011/0,136264.html

BP Renegades has sent legal notice to PanTrinbago seeking to be reinstated in the Panorama competition after they were eliminated in the national semi-final round on Sunday.

The band’s president Michael Marcano told Newsday yesterday while they did not mind being eliminated from the large band category the conditions under which they performed were not acceptable.

Renegades complained the performance was hampered by DJ music played in the North Stand of the Queen’s Park Savannah where the competition was held.

Marcano said players to the back could not hear what the front was playing and became disoriented. He said the band asked for the music to be stopped before they played and it was, only to be resumed when the nine-time Panorama champs began their piece “How We Coming”.

PanTrinbago, as producers of the show, had the responsibility of ensuring conditions were right,” Marcano said. He explained it cost a lot to prepare the band to enter the competition and performances should not be taken lightly.

PanTrinbago vice-president Bryon Serrette said the organisation has received the letter. He said it was forwarded to their lawyers who will advise PanTrinbago on their next step. He added he did not think Renegades was unfairly treated in the semi-finals.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »
Renegades to PanTrinbago: Reinstate us
Wednesday, February 23 2011
http://newsday.co.tt/carnival_2011/0,136264.html

BP Renegades has sent legal notice to PanTrinbago seeking to be reinstated in the Panorama competition after they were eliminated in the national semi-final round on Sunday.

The band’s president Michael Marcano told Newsday yesterday while they did not mind being eliminated from the large band category the conditions under which they performed were not acceptable.

Renegades complained the performance was hampered by DJ music played in the North Stand of the Queen’s Park Savannah where the competition was held.

Marcano said players to the back could not hear what the front was playing and became disoriented. He said the band asked for the music to be stopped before they played and it was, only to be resumed when the nine-time Panorama champs began their piece “How We Coming”.

PanTrinbago, as producers of the show, had the responsibility of ensuring conditions were right,” Marcano said. He explained it cost a lot to prepare the band to enter the competition and performances should not be taken lightly.

PanTrinbago vice-president Bryon Serrette said the organisation has received the letter. He said it was forwarded to their lawyers who will advise PanTrinbago on their next step. He added he did not think Renegades was unfairly treated in the semi-finals.

I think Renegades have a strong case & should be reinstated!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2011, 01:14:41 PM »
Reinstated for what?

The results reflect the performance on the night. They refused to play for 15 minutes until the music stopped. When they started, it was because they thought conditions were right for them to play. This is one instance where protest action at the time is appropriate. Writing a letter after the fact, so that you can be let into the finals on the supposition that you would have played well enough to qualify.
What stops the other bands from claiming the same privilege?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2011, 02:21:19 PM »
I was in the North Stands when Renegades came on stage.  I heard a few of the medium bands and they all came on stage, played and left.  However, when Renegades came on the house announcer beg EVERY BODY to stop playing.  Dey beg the Police to outside in the "Greens" to tell de DJ and dem to stop playing.  Eventually the noise stopped and Renegades started their set.  Ah say whaaaaa saarr...big gun pan side reach all yuh better recognise!!!....

Now I could be wrong but I doh remember hearing anymore noise while they were playing but then I was listening to them and if any music started up in the Greens while they were on stage, I guess I didn't hear.  But the rhythm sections inside the North Stand did stop playing........therefore ah not sure what disturbance they talking about.... :-\
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2011, 02:22:52 PM »
Reinstated for what?

The results reflect the performance on the night. They refused to play for 15 minutes until the music stopped. When they started, it was because they thought conditions were right for them to play. This is one instance where protest action at the time is appropriate. Writing a letter after the fact, so that you can be let into the finals on the supposition that you would have played well enough to qualify.
What stops the other bands from claiming the same privilege?

Maybe you should consider that the other bands did not have the same problem with noise from the North stand while they were playing that could have affected their performance!

Don't forget Renegades were the first large band! Is it possible that as well as their performance being affected that the judges could have penalised them with reduced points for delaying the start of their performance for 15mins?

And btw I'm not a Renegades supporter, Fonclaire is my band!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2011, 03:29:44 PM »
The judging criteria is about the performance. The delay was due to outside circumstances.
Also, they were the 29th band to play that day. Conditions were well known to the judges.
They should have sought a solution at the time.
Now, days after the fact, you cannot expect to just be placed in the final because of the circumstances affected your performance. The best you could hope for is a second round of judging. If I were any of the other bands, I would complain if either scenario played out. Carrying that to its logical end, you would end up with a final with all 16 bands in it.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2011, 04:50:37 PM »
The judging criteria is about the performance. The delay was due to outside circumstances.
Also, they were the 29th band to play that day. Conditions were well known to the judges.
They should have sought a solution at the time.
Now, days after the fact, you cannot expect to just be placed in the final because of the circumstances affected your performance. The best you could hope for is a second round of judging. If I were any of the other bands, I would complain if either scenario played out. Carrying that to its logical end, you would end up with a final with all 16 bands in it.

I don't think any of the other 6 bands that didn't make the final are arguing that or actually had their performance negatively affected by noise from the North Stand during their performance. I think that scenario was unique to Renegades.

At any rate the final 10 chosen by the judges was not consistent with the best 10 performances on the night in my humble opinion having heard most of the large bands play live on Sunday.

The only consistent thing I can see from the judges is that every year they can guarantee than some band that clearly deserves to be in the final is left by the wayside to suck salt!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:54:39 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2011, 07:38:45 PM »
I not saying that Renegades doh have a case, I'm saying that they needed to petition on the night for some recourse. Since the semi-finals are done, any move to include them in the finals is unfair to the other bands who will then also have a legitimate grievance.

If there was a time to act the fool, it was Sunday. Sending a letter on Tuesday is too little too late.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2011, 07:45:26 PM »
But I don't want to argue about Renegades anymore.

I've had a chance to listen to the performances again and would love to discuss that.

I've always had a problem with carnival judging because we are never given any insight into what a judge bases their results on. They have a difficult job, while we are enjoying the music, they have to listen to it.
Many times, I have gone home thinking somebody get tief, only to listen to the recording and change my mind.

There is a bigger question about the validity of Panorama itself, but I'll get into that some other time.
Right now, I'd love to hear what people thought about any particular performance. Not just a general "silver stars rip them!" type comment.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2011, 03:45:20 PM »
Renegades serves notice of Panorama injunction
By JADA LOUTOO Thursday, February 24 2011

PAN TRINBAGO, the governing body for the national instrument, has been given until midday today to respond to claims by nine-time Panorama champions bp Renegades Steel Orchestra that the organisers of the Panorama semi-finals failed to ensure that conditions were fair for the competition at the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain last Sunday.

Lawyers for the Charlotte Street-based band, led by Senior Counsel Theodore Guerra, have written to Pan Trinbago, threatening to head to the courts seeking an injunction to stop the National Panorama finals on March 5, if their concerns are not addressed.

An initial deadline for response was given for midday yesterday. However, sources said Pan Trinbago’s attorney, Kerwyn Garcia, indicated to the steel orchestra’s legal team that he only yesterday morning received their pre-action protocol letter. He needed time to respond. The pan body’s deadline to respond is today at noon. Bp Renegades failed to make it to the finals, with a score of 243.

According to bp Renegades, the noise from the North Stand during the semi-finals affected its performance and the DJ music played at the venue caused disorientation for band members.

The steel orchestra said it was unfair, also pointing out that the judges, on their score sheet for the band, indicated that Renegades’ performance sounded muddled.

National Carnival Commission chairman, Kenny De Silva, when contacted, said Pan Trinbago was responsible for the event, while Pan Trinbago president, Keith Diaz, when contacted said he could not speak with Newsday, as he was at a meeting with the organisation’s trustees.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2011, 08:23:28 PM »

1]; } ?>