May 19, 2024, 10:21:49 PM

Author Topic: T&T Teams  (Read 3645 times)

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T Teams
« on: September 11, 2005, 07:15:47 PM »
I know this may be a while ago but does anyone have any info or can you give some insight to the 1955 game where T&T played Manchester united? anything will be great,  Or any info concerning the 1969 T&T team??. I was looking at the pictures on the site and some info will be nice. Thanks.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Teams
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 10:48:27 PM »
ah doh know bout Manchester United

http://www.bestoftrinidad.com/soccer50s.html

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 08:36:25 AM »
I know this may be a while ago but does anyone have any info or can you give some insight to the 1955 game where T&T played Manchester united? anything will be great,  Or any info concerning the 1969 T&T team??. I was looking at the pictures on the site and some info will be nice. Thanks.

I never hear anyting about Manchester United playing T&T. As far as I know, dey came to T&T twice in de early eighties. In 1982 dey played ASL twice, beating dem 2-1 and 4-1 and in 1985 dey played Southampton in de National Stadium and drew 1-1.

De 1969 team (excerpted from The Story of Trinidad and Tobago Football 1893 - 2000 by Valentino Singh):
‘The Tank,’ as Delabastide was called, took the team to the 1969 CONCACAF Senior Championships in Costa Rica.

It was a dismal series in more ways than one. Trinidad and Tobago played five matches, lost three, won and drew one.

They opened the campaign against Guatemala with a 2-0 loss but gave an improved performance in the second game in which they came from two goals down to beat Jamaica 3-2.

Everald Cummings, Keith Douglas and Ulric ‘Buggy’ Haynes scored and although Cummings scored in the next game against the Duth West Indies, they lost 1-2.

A goalless draw against Mexico followed but eventual winners Costa Rica, playing at home slammed them 5-0 to send them packing.

However, during the tour there were several problems and when the team returned home, 11 players and their trainer, Trevor Smith, were suspended by the Association pending an investigation into acts of indiscipline.

Reports indicated that the players almost took strike action during the tour in solidarity with Smith who was almost sent home after calling for better payment for the players.

On returning home, chef de misson Phil Douglin , manager Ernil Paul filed a report after wich the TTFA called an inquiry and suspended the following players: Leroy De Leon, Keith Douglas, Wilfred Cave, Kenny Joseph, Cummings, Gerard Figeroux, George Romano, Max Mascall, Mervyn Springer, Gwenwyn Cust and Haynes.

Those who escaped punishment were Delabastide, Arnim David, Mervyn Crawford, Selwyn Murren, Leo Brwester, Lawrence Rondon and Betrand Grell.

However, De Leon, Douglas, Cave and Joseph filed an injunction against the TTFA and following the investigation, the charges against the players were dropped.

Smith’s ban remained but he too, took court action against the TTFA, following which the TTFA were ordered to lift the ban.

It was a tumultuous way to end the decade of the sixties and start the 1970s.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 12:21:25 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 11:06:46 AM »
Anybody remember it had a man who used to take throw for some club team and flip when he throwing the ball? that was in the 80's and 90's I think.
I dunno if he ever make national team though.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 11:46:05 AM »
Anybody remember it had a man who used to take throw for some club team and flip when he throwing the ball? that was in the 80's and 90's I think.

Marvin Faustin used to do that
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 11:54:53 AM »

that's right!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 12:12:50 PM »
They opened the campaign against Guatemala with a 0-0 loss.......

Tallman, the CIA files are corrupted (or you misquoted the book). ::)
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 12:21:06 PM »
They opened the campaign against Guatemala with a 0-0 loss.......

Tallman, the CIA files are corrupted (or you misquoted the book). ::)

I eh misquote it, but somehow ah miss dat piece of foolishness. It should be a 2-0 loss.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 12:32:24 PM »
These are the club  teams I see play in T&T some years might be confusing. Plus I am sure I missed some games.

By the way a Manchester United Amateur side did come T&t in the 70's and get nuff tap up. they get 5 from Civic.

Hull City 1972
Southampton, Chelsea 1972
Santos (with Pele) 1972
Robinhood 1974
St Mirren ( with Fergie as coach) 1976
Cosmos 1976 and 1977
Americas (Brazil 1977)
Arsenal (with Liam Brady) 1982
Flamengo (with Zico and Junior) 1982
Corinthians (with Socrates) 1982
Then a Russian team 1987
Hyundai 1998 (Korea)

Now as I said these are the games I remember being present at
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 02:01:46 PM by Tallman »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Pelé Melee
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 02:06:20 PM »
Santos (with Pele) 1972

Excerpted from The Story of Trinidad and Tobago Football 1893 - 2000 (by Valentino Singh):

The season was marred by what was later referred to as the Pelé Melee as the Brazilian team Santos with the great Pele in its lineup, visited the country.

The team arrived in September and some 30,000 spectators filled the Oval to witness the match. It was scheduled to start at 4 p.m. but some 30 minutes later, there was no sign of the kickoff.

This caused the crowd to get restless especially as there was no public address system to inform the spectators that the Brazilians had left their gear at the airport and the baggage was on its way.

Before long, bottles were thrown, spectators ran onto the field and chaos erupted.

Tear gas had to be used to prevent severe disruption and several fans were injured in the confusion.

There was one death but the victim had fallen from a tree hours before the riot. All was back to order by 5 p.m. but the late start allowed only 45 minutes of play, just enough time for Santos to score one goal.

The confusion, then calm that surrounded the game may have been a sign of things to come for the rest of the decade.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 02:11:33 PM »
These are the club  teams I see play in T&T some years might be confusing. Plus I am sure I missed some games.

By the way a Manchester United Amateur side did come T&t in the 70's and get nuff tap up. they get 5 from Civic.

Hull City 1972
Southampton, Chelsea 1972
Santos (with Pele) 1972
Robinhood 1974
St Mirren ( with Fergie as coach) 1976
Cosmos 1976 and 1977
Americas (Brazil 1977)
Arsenal (with Liam Brady) 1982
Flamengo (with Zico and Junior) 1982
Corinthians (with Socrates) 1982
Then a Russian team 1987
Hyundai 1998 (Korea)

Now as I said these are the games I remember being present at

Corinthians of Brazil not Vaso. Apology
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 02:15:49 PM »
Doh forget Norwich and Luton (when they were in Div 1- what is the Premiership now) came in the mid 80's tuh play Trintoc and Defence force in ah Tournament. I think Trintoc won the thing. But all the games was real close.

Bradford City came an get buss up by Trintoc round the same time...they offer Lata's ah contract but He did'nt get a work permit.

Hearts (Scotland) played T&T...won 1-0. (80's)
Crystal place (with Ian Wright) play T&T twice losing game one 4-2 should of been 8-3 and they drew game two 2-2 I think.

The 1980's had nuff sides coming to T&T!

Never heard of T&T playing Manchester Utd in any era though.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 02:23:32 PM »

that's right!!

FAUSTIN BOY?!?!?!?!
Allyuh sure, i talking bout a serious flip u know, a front flip.
I thought i was some rastaman, Faustin to me always had a gyal a rush me haircut.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 02:24:07 PM »
maybe i missed these
but didn't sao paulo and watford play here. john barnes, blisset.
80's

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 02:50:23 PM »
I was looking on this site and at this link: http://www.socawarriors.net/games_since_1935.htm it shows a picture of the 1955 team who played against man u so that's why I was wondering if anybody had info?? but allyuh does come up with some good back in time info   thanks

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2005, 03:38:15 PM »
maybe i missed these
but didn't sao paulo and watford play here. john barnes, blisset.
80's

True an all Black Team ( that is what they were called) came in the 80's and played
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 03:02:53 AM »
Spurs also came (with Hoddle, Crooks, Hughton, et al) sometime around 82-84. I doh remember de year exactly.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline gtokyo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 04:56:12 AM »
Watford vs Sao Paulo in 1987 at d National Stadium....

Watford came over with John Barnes, Mark Falco...Sao Paulo came with Muller and Careca... I remember d final score was 5-4 penalty shootout....Sao Paulo win...that was a real good match boy...All dem boy in dey Prime... ;D

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 06:56:42 AM »
nottingham forest also played a couple of games at t & t in the early 80s. i remember one in particular in which the trini keeper held the ball in one and and threatened to cuff down some white man playing for the other side with his other hand. needless to say, the white man appeared to be shocked.

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2005, 07:02:27 AM »
I ws in de oval fuh dat game ..tear gas fuh so.

I thought that Latapy went to Bradford on trilal and they did not pick him up, citing his small stature as the reason???

I never knew he got a contract but was refused a work permit.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2005, 07:46:41 AM »
Every club had a problem with Latapy size untill academica take him.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2005, 07:49:44 AM »
Looking for confirmation of some info : Doing some research on Belmont
e.g. People, Community, etc..
If anybody know any old people, see if you can get some info please, I would like some confirmation and more info on some characters, I knew them but not their stories

e.g.  River-Bud(Donkey Transport); Man-Crebo(Man Transport- carry anything for miles on his back); Harper(appa);Nap Hepburn(calypso); Glen Byam(horticulturalist); Indian guy whose donkey used to take him home after drinking..Shadow(the calypsonian), Shadow(the fix it man)...etc..
Footbal & Cricket: Colts, The red army; Korak of the North;   the Aleongs, Goin , The Roberts, Charlie Davis, MudHogs

any Belmont stories/Photos would be appreciated

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2005, 07:53:53 AM »
Maxg I from Belmont but I muss be too young to know dem ting, cuase ah ain't know bout dem characters too much dey.

Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2005, 12:46:21 PM »
Max, I eh from Belmont but yuh could check with Amassi. If ah remember correctly, he wife from Belmont.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2005, 06:06:38 PM »
my pops from belmont but i dont know how i could get thin info to you. send me a email or suttin
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

1]; } ?>