May 03, 2024, 12:21:09 AM

Author Topic: Wikileaks release of embassy cables reveals US concerns  (Read 14108 times)

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Wikileaks release of embassy cables reveals US concerns
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 02:13:58 PM »
The whole thing sounds dodgy to me....one can only speculate as to why the US allowed this info to be released

How did they "allow" this to be released?  What they was supposed to do bomb the Wikileaks server?

They could have done any number of things. Shut it down. Death threats. Get the fella charged before he released de files. They do sh!t like that all the time.

Fact is they have come out of this looking relatively good (i.e. on balance, there is more good than bad in those files). It certainly helps their Iran agenda. I am pretty sure they knew what was about to happen, and decided they were ok with it.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 03:23:26 PM »
The whole thing sounds dodgy to me....one can only speculate as to why the US allowed this info to be released

How did they "allow" this to be released?  What they was supposed to do bomb the Wikileaks server?

They could have done any number of things. Shut it down. Death threats. Get the fella charged before he released de files. They do sh!t like that all the time.

Fact is they have come out of this looking relatively good (i.e. on balance, there is more good than bad in those files). It certainly helps their Iran agenda. I am pretty sure they knew what was about to happen, and decided they were ok with it.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it is highly-speculative at best.  The consensus from this side of the Atlantic is that the US State Department (in charge of Foreign Affairs) has taken a huge hit among global allies.  It is for this reason that Hilary Clinton is currently working overtime to soothe crushed feelings abroad and to repair damage to the US reputation.  In fact the US has come out looking so "relatively good" that Obama has been forced to make a hasty junket to Afghanistan to smooth relations with Karzai (accused of graft and corruption in the cables).  The cables also reveal that while the US was publicly maintaining its stance that the detention of many Guantanamo detainees was justified, privately it was admitting that many posed no threats, and so the Obama administration was shopping the world looking for takers to accept as many detainees as possible.  They were even strong-arming some governments with diplomatic threats.  Hardly showing the US in a positive light.  A lot of sensitive relationships were (potentially) damaged.

As for helping the US agenda on Iran... you mean helping Israel's agenda.  Assange has a very close relationship with the Israeli government and there has been much analysis of the benefits to Israel arising from the leaks.  I honestly don't know how much of a heads up the US government had prior to the leak, and perhaps we have Bush to thank that worldview on US espionage practices are as dark as you impute them to be.  Reality however, often proves far removed from common perception.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 03:26:19 PM »
As Ron Paul told Fox News today:

“In a free society we're supposed to know the truth,” Paul said. “In a society where truth becomes treason, then we're in big trouble. And now, people who are revealing the truth are getting into trouble for it.”

Why crucify Assange? Because he is broadcasting
the truth?

What if he were to get his hands on the communiques
to and from FIFA? Would it be bad if he put it out there
for everyone to see? I certainly would like to know what
went down yesterday.

Oh, and what happens when he throws out the e-mails
from the 'big US bank'?
Is it going to be bad when we all find out how the big
banks in the US have brought the world's economies
to their knees?
Ron Paul is wrong. Releasing information that nations share behind closed doors is obviously dangerous. The question now is how the information was obtained. If any law was broken the offenders should be prosecuted.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »
The cables also reveal that while the US was publicly maintaining its stance that the detention of many Guantanamo detainees was justified, privately it was admitting that many posed no threats, and so the Obama administration was shopping the world looking for takers to accept as many detainees as possible.
Guantanamo is a crime of the Bush administration.

As for helping the US agenda on Iran... you mean helping Israel's agenda.

No, I meant helping the US agenda.

In my view, the US (and indeed most Western economies) are in decline. In recent decades they have overspent and gambled on future growth that never materialised and will never do so, resulting in massive debts. Money means power. We are already seeing an inevitable shift of world power to the Far East. The only way the US can prevent a similar shift to the Middle East is to ensure continued instability in the region...at some point Iran will get hit.

PS - If you understand my point, then just accept that that is my view. No need to overanalyse my phrasing or grammar. Its a complex argument and I've only written a paragraph here not a thesis lol.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 03:43:45 PM by Ryan »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 05:39:57 PM »
...PS - If you understand my point, then just accept that that is my view. No need to overanalyse my phrasing or grammar. Its a complex argument and I've only written a paragraph here not a thesis lol.

Silly me...here I thought I was responding to the actual substance of your argument... spurious as it may be.  Now I understand that you're not posting for discussion, you're just posting to see your own words on the screen.  Now that I understand your purpose I won't waste any more effort engaging you in any kind of talk.

-------------------------------

Jah Gol... they already know how the documents were leaked and have already begun the prosecution.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 05:43:06 PM »
...PS - If you understand my point, then just accept that that is my view. No need to overanalyse my phrasing or grammar. Its a complex argument and I've only written a paragraph here not a thesis lol.

Silly me...here I thought I was responding to the actual substance of your argument... spurious as it may be.  Now I understand that you're not posting for discussion, you're just posting to see your own words on the screen.  Now that I understand your purpose I won't waste any more effort engaging you in any kind of talk.

-------------------------------

Jah Gol... they already know how the documents were leaked and have already begun the prosecution.
Bad move by him. I suppose after his punishment he will write a book and make his way around the media circus.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2010, 06:15:06 PM »
Bad move by him. I suppose after his punishment he will write a book and make his way around the media circus.

He'll do real time... and probably in a military jail rather than a civilian jail.  The US has a law that prevents criminals from profiting from their crimes, so he won't be able to make money from any books or media tours.  I supported him when the video first came to light last summer, but I didn't realize the scope of the breach. 

To back up what I said earlier about this being a campaign specifically targeting the US... the WikiLeaks website has come under cyber attack and Assange has taken pains to blame the US, despite evidence that the likely source is actually China.  More and more it seems he's driven by personal animus towards the US.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2010, 06:37:05 PM »

He'll do real time... and probably in a military jail rather than a civilian jail.  The US has a law that prevents criminals from profiting from their crimes, so he won't be able to make money from any books or media tours.  I supported him when the video first came to light last summer, but I didn't realize the scope of the breach. 

To back up what I said earlier about this being a campaign specifically targeting the US... the WikiLeaks website has come under cyber attack and Assange has taken pains to blame the US, despite evidence that the likely source is actually China.  More and more it seems he's driven by personal animus towards the US.
Serves him right, especially for a soldier.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2010, 01:41:51 PM »
PayPal Suspends WikiLeaks Account

PayPal has permanently restricted the account used by WikiLeaks due to a violation of the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy, which states that our payment service cannot be used for any activities that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity. We’ve notified the account holder of this action.

https://www.thepaypalblog.com/statement.html

WikiLeaks under siege... ah bet yuh they eh go last another 3-6 months.  In addition to the hosting issues they having, the battling serious DDOS attacks from multiple sources, now PayPal has severed ties with them... all this on top of the legal issues facing Assange, and the internal rifts within the organization.  Only a matter of time before the more sensible members of the organization start distancing theyself from mad man Assange.  Watch this space.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »
WikiLeaks lists sites key to U.S. security
By Tim Lister, CNN
December 6, 2010 11:02 a.m. EST

(CNN) -- WikiLeaks has published a secret U.S. diplomatic cable listing sites abroad that the U.S. considers vital to its national security, prompting criticism that the website is inviting terrorist attacks on American interests.

The list is part of a lengthy cable the State Department sent in February 2009 to its posts around the world. The cable asked American diplomats to identify key resources, facilities and installations outside the United States "whose loss could critically impact the public health, economic security, and/or national and homeland security of the United States."

The diplomats identified dozens of places on every continent, including mines, manufacturing complexes, ports and research establishments. CNN is not publishing specific details from the list, which refers to pipelines and undersea telecommunications cables as well as the location of minerals or chemicals critical to U.S. industry.

The list also mentions dams close to the U.S. border and a telecommunications hub whose destruction might seriously disrupt global communications. Diplomats also identified sites of strategic importance for supplying U.S. forces and interests abroad, such as in the Strait of Hormuz, the Persian Gulf and the Panama Canal.

The cable is classified secret and not for review by non-U.S. personnel.

The United States and Great Britain condemned the disclosure.

"There are strong and valid reasons information is classified, including critical infrastructure and key resources that are vital to the national and economic security of any country," U.S. State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley told The Times newspaper in London.

Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, "may be directing his efforts at the United States but he is placing the interests of many countries and regions at risk," the paper quoted Crowley as saying. "This is irresponsible."

British Prime Minister David Cameron said in a statement that the publication is "damaging to national security in the United States, Britain and elsewhere."

The list is " a gift to any terrorist (group) trying to work out what are the ways in which it can damage the United States," said Malcolm Rifkind, chairman of the Parliamentary Intelligence and Security Committee in Britain.

"It is grossly improper and irresponsible" for Assange and his website to publish that information, he said.

WikiLeaks, which facilitates the anonymous leaking of secret information, published the list of sensitive sites as part of a larger disclosure of what it says are 250,000 U.S. State Department documents that were never meant for public view. The site began publishing the first of those quarter-million documents last week.

Since then, the site has been hit with denial-of-service attacks, which seek to make a website unavailable. It also has been kicked off servers in the United States and France, and it lost a major revenue source on Friday, when U.S.-based PayPal cut off its account.

On Sunday, WikiLeaks appealed to supporters worldwide to mirror its website, saying the site "is under heavy attack. In order to make it impossible to ever fully remove WikiLeaks from the Internet, we need your help."

In a tweet sent on the microblogging site Twitter Sunday night, WikiLeaks said it had 355 mirror sites, but a link in the tweet listed 208 mirror sites.

Assange, 39, is wanted by Swedish authorities on allegations of sex crimes, including rape. He has denied the allegations, but his whereabouts have been undisclosed since WikiLeaks began publishing the documents last week.

Investigators have focused much of their effort on finding Assange in Britain, where U.S. investigative activity is being conducted by the Defense Department, a senior law enforcement official said Friday.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/06/wikileaks/index.html
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2010, 12:47:24 PM »
December 6, 2010

Swiss Freeze WikiLeaks Bank Account

By RAVI SOMAIYA

LONDON — A Swiss bank account held by Julian Assange for donations to his anti-secrecy organization WikiLeaks and his legal defense has been frozen.

Marc Andrey, a spokesman for PostFinance, the finance arm of the Swiss Postal service SwissPost, said in a telephone interview from Bern that the account was closed because Mr. Assange “gave us false information when he opened the account,” saying that he lived in Switzerland.

Mr. Andrey said SwissPost offers accounts only to those who are Swiss or reside in Switzerland. Mr. Assange holds Australian citizenship and is currently believed to be in hiding in England. “As soon as we verified that he doesn’t live here,” said Mr. Andrey, “we blocked the account.”

Shortly after PostFinance issued a press release announcing the termination, WikiLeaks responded with a notification of its own, sent via its Twitter feed. The message, which described Mr. Assange as a “homeless refugee” claimed that the account held 31,000 euros, or about $41,000.

The move by the Swiss bank had thrown into relief, it said “the power dynamics between supposedly independent states like Switzerland, Sweden and Australia,” an apparent reference to efforts by businesses and his home government to distance themselves from WikiLeaks’ activities following the release of classified American diplomatic cables from over 250,000 it had obtained.

On Sunday the American ambassador to Switzerland, Donald S. Beyer Jr., told the Swiss weekly magazine NZZ am Sonntag that the country “should very carefully consider whether to provide shelter to someone who is on the run from the law.”

Mr. Andrey said that SwissPost had not, to his knowledge, come under pressure from Swiss or American officials to close the bank account. Efforts to contact Mr. Assange to arrange for the funds in the account to be transferred had been unsuccessful, he said.

WikiLeaks’ site still showed Swiss bank details and asked for donations to the Julian Assange Defense Fund on Monday afternoon. Mr. Assange is facing extradition to Sweden, prompted by Swedish prosecutors seeking information on allegations of rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion made by two women in Stockholm this summer.

According to accounts the women gave to the police and friends, they each had consensual sexual encounters with Mr. Assange that became nonconsensual. One woman said that Mr. Assange had ignored her appeals to stop after a condom broke. The other woman said that she and Mr. Assange had begun a sexual encounter using a condom, but that Mr. Assange did not comply with her appeals to stop when it was no longer in use. Mr. Assange has denied any wrongdoing and has questioned the veracity of those accounts.

According to Mr. Assange’s lawyers in London, an Interpol notice and a Europol arrest warrant that would oblige British police to arrest Mr. Assange were pending last week. The BBC, and a message on the WikiLeaks Twitter feed, reported that new warrants had been issued and that his arrest might be imminent. The accounts could not be independently verified — a spokesman for the Metropolitan police declined to comment until an arrest was made and Jennifer Robinson, one of Mr. Assange’s lawyers in London, said she had not yet been informed of any new documentation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/world/europe/07assange.html?hp

Too bad Lisbeth Salander done have de starring role, because more and more Assange starting to look like the boy who kicked the hornet's nest.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »

Too bad Lisbeth Salander done have de starring role, because more and more Assange starting to look like the boy who kicked the hornet's nest.

give it a couple of years ... dey go get Leo Di Caprio to play him - they kinda look alike

I wonder who will play the girl who accused him of sexual assault? - his downfall since Interpol hell bent on arresting him for that alleged assault.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2010, 01:35:09 PM »
PFC bradley manning narcissistic traitor, gay/lgbt activist from potomac maryland, upset over DADT and feeling he was in an awkward place (serving in the 10th MT Div, 2nd brigade CT, sold his country's secrets because he felt "his desperation for acceptance -- or delusions of grandeur". This forker joined a fighting unit... not the most rounded or cultured individuals on the NCO level and he just thought homophobia was going to escape him...I hope the marines at Quantico are taking care of him....

DADT will repealed but not on the merit of sabotage, but when we have placed all legislation that would help them transition easily...

He is a disgrace to the great history and honor of the men who have served in the 10th Mountain division. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2010, 02:51:27 PM »
PFC bradley manning narcissistic traitor, gay/lgbt activist from potomac maryland, upset over DADT and feeling he was in an awkward place (serving in the 10th MT Div, 2nd brigade CT, sold his country's secrets because he felt "his desperation for acceptance -- or delusions of grandeur". This forker joined a fighting unit... not the most rounded or cultured individuals on the NCO level and he just thought homophobia was going to escape him...I hope the marines at Quantico are taking care of him....

DADT will repealed but not on the merit of sabotage, but when we have placed all legislation that would help them transition easily...

He is a disgrace to the great history and honor of the men who have served in the 10th Mountain division. 

I suppose him selling it mighta been an even greater offense... but in reality he just give up de goods juss so without payment.  Not that it makes any significant difference though. 

This latest release by WikiLeaks amounts to diplomatic sabotage... to reveal to the world these self-confessed sensitive sites is a pretty low and dastardly act.  No benefit whatsoever could come of that... except to feed Assange outsized and borderline megalomaniacal ego.

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2010, 06:57:08 PM »

I suppose him selling it mighta been an even greater offense... but in reality he just give up de goods juss so without payment.  Not that it makes any significant difference though. 

This latest release by WikiLeaks amounts to diplomatic sabotage... to reveal to the world these self-confessed sensitive sites is a pretty low and dastardly act.  No benefit whatsoever could come of that... except to feed Assange outsized and borderline megalomaniacal ego.

:beermug:

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 12:52:45 PM »

DT, wha dat say when a unrounded and uncultured fella like bradley have access to dis level of so-called confidential information? there will always be a bradley, there will always be an assange. in this age of internet, dey more likely to cross paths. more leaks coming.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2010, 01:18:50 PM »
Any thoughts on the Cuban dissident connection vis-a-vis Assange's accuser?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 02:24:59 PM »

ah miss da one clean.

expound por favor?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »

Yeah... I ent hear about that one.  One ah de Swedis 'oman like pure cane in she mojito or wha?

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2010, 03:08:43 PM »
WikiLeaks cables: Shell's grip on Nigerian state revealed

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/dec/08/wikileaks-cables-shell-nigeria-spying
Hard work is the key to success

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2010, 03:21:09 PM »
WikiLeaks cables: Shell's grip on Nigerian state revealed

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/dec/08/wikileaks-cables-shell-nigeria-spying

"Shell put a request to the US consulate for potentially sensitive intelligence about Gazprom, a possible rival, which she said had secured a promise from the Nigerian government of access to 17trn cubic feet of natural gas – roughly a tenth of Nigeria's entire reserves. "Pickard said that amount of gas was only available if the GON were to take concessions currently assigned to other oil companies and give them to Gazprom. She assumed Shell would be the GON's prime target." Pickard alleged that a conversation with a Nigerian government minister had been secretly recorded by the Russians. Shortly after the meeting in the minister's office she received a verbatim transcript of the meeting "from Russia", according to the memo.

wars does start for less oui
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2010, 09:45:07 PM »

ah miss da one clean.

expound por favor?

As you know, "Miami" is closer to Washington than it is to Havana. At least one of the alleged victims is Cuban. This has triggered speculation  of a honeytrap rooted in quid pro quo. Connect the  dots.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:48:59 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2010, 08:17:33 AM »
December 6, 2010

Swiss Freeze WikiLeaks Bank Account

By RAVI SOMAIYA

LONDON — A Swiss bank account held by Julian Assange for donations to his anti-secrecy organization WikiLeaks and his legal defense has been frozen.

Marc Andrey, a spokesman for PostFinance, the finance arm of the Swiss Postal service SwissPost, said in a telephone interview from Bern that the account was closed because Mr. Assange “gave us false information when he opened the account,” saying that he lived in Switzerland.

Mr. Andrey said SwissPost offers accounts only to those who are Swiss or reside in Switzerland. Mr. Assange holds Australian citizenship and is currently believed to be in hiding in England. “As soon as we verified that he doesn’t live here,” said Mr. Andrey, “we blocked the account.”

Shortly after PostFinance issued a press release announcing the termination, WikiLeaks responded with a notification of its own, sent via its Twitter feed. The message, which described Mr. Assange as a “homeless refugee” claimed that the account held 31,000 euros, or about $41,000.

The move by the Swiss bank had thrown into relief, it said “the power dynamics between supposedly independent states like Switzerland, Sweden and Australia,” an apparent reference to efforts by businesses and his home government to distance themselves from WikiLeaks’ activities following the release of classified American diplomatic cables from over 250,000 it had obtained.

On Sunday the American ambassador to Switzerland, Donald S. Beyer Jr., told the Swiss weekly magazine NZZ am Sonntag that the country “should very carefully consider whether to provide shelter to someone who is on the run from the law.”

Mr. Andrey said that SwissPost had not, to his knowledge, come under pressure from Swiss or American officials to close the bank account. Efforts to contact Mr. Assange to arrange for the funds in the account to be transferred had been unsuccessful, he said.

WikiLeaks’ site still showed Swiss bank details and asked for donations to the Julian Assange Defense Fund on Monday afternoon. Mr. Assange is facing extradition to Sweden, prompted by Swedish prosecutors seeking information on allegations of rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion made by two women in Stockholm this summer.

According to accounts the women gave to the police and friends, they each had consensual sexual encounters with Mr. Assange that became nonconsensual. One woman said that Mr. Assange had ignored her appeals to stop after a condom broke. The other woman said that she and Mr. Assange had begun a sexual encounter using a condom, but that Mr. Assange did not comply with her appeals to stop when it was no longer in use. Mr. Assange has denied any wrongdoing and has questioned the veracity of those accounts.

According to Mr. Assange’s lawyers in London, an Interpol notice and a Europol arrest warrant that would oblige British police to arrest Mr. Assange were pending last week. The BBC, and a message on the WikiLeaks Twitter feed, reported that new warrants had been issued and that his arrest might be imminent. The accounts could not be independently verified — a spokesman for the Metropolitan police declined to comment until an arrest was made and Jennifer Robinson, one of Mr. Assange’s lawyers in London, said she had not yet been informed of any new documentation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/world/europe/07assange.html?hp

None of this would have come about if he did not leak the information, that is a fact. The case was already thrown out in the summer.
My take is a simple one (from a simple mind) Assange and WikiLeaks were right. Why? Obviously the bigger question & concern is that there exist a LEAK. Now the information could have easily found itself in anothers hands and it probably did for the right price. So the information was out anyway and would probably have been on Al Jazeera, or some other media soon.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2010, 08:33:10 AM »
'Hacktivists' trying to help julian keep he money

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/wikileaks

Dutch police investigate apparent hacker attack

THE HAGUE, Netherlands – Police said Friday they are investigating if hackers were responsible for taking down websites of police and prosecutors in the Netherlands after the arrest of a 16-year-old for involvement in a cyberattack on several prominent financial payment websites.

"We assume it is hackers. We are not sure yet," said National Police Service spokesman Dennis Janus.

Dutch media reported that the "hacktivist" group Anonymous tried to take down the two sites with a so-called denial of service attack.

Both sites were sporadically online Friday morning.

National Prosecutor's Office spokeswoman Desiree Wilhelm said prosecutors also are investigating the problems with their website.

Prosecutors said the young hacker police arrested Thursday confessed to participating in attacks by WikiLeaks sympathizers on websites, including MasterCard, PayPal and Visa.

(

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2010, 08:46:18 AM »

None of this would have come about if he did not leak the information, that is a fact. The case was already thrown out in the summer.

He's never been released since they took him into custody in the spring... so I don't think this is correct.

My take is a simple one (from a simple mind) Assange and WikiLeaks were right. Why? Obviously the bigger question & concern is that there exist a LEAK. Now the information could have easily found itself in anothers hands and it probably did for the right price. So the information was out anyway and would probably have been on Al Jazeera, or some other media soon.

Why were they "right?"  If you're saying some good came out of this then I would tend to agree... if anything, now the US military and other agencies know that they need to improve their internal security.  However, to say that WikiLeaks was 'right' is to say that they were justified in their actions.  I don't think you've offered a rationale in support of your statement.  Frankly, I don't know that you can.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2010, 09:21:55 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-7GkIZCepzI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-7GkIZCepzI</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2010, 09:33:53 AM »

He's never been released since they took him into custody in the spring... so I don't think this is correct.

Why were they "right?"  If you're saying some good came out of this then I would tend to agree... if anything, now the US military and other agencies know that they need to improve their internal security.  However, to say that WikiLeaks was 'right' is to say that they were justified in their actions.  I don't think you've offered a rationale in support of your statement.  Frankly, I don't know that you can.

Took into custody in the Spring? Am I missing something, he was arrested when he turned himself in on Dec 7 to Scotland Yard

If it is proven that WikiLeaks hacked into the computers and stole the info, then agreed, its espionage. But if this charge is to get Assange arrested, sent to Sweden and then extradited to Guantanamo bay, it is wrong.

WikiLeaks has done some excellent work, lets not forget the Collateral Damage’ videos. Which IMHO opinion was far more damaging to the US than the current leaks. Or should that have been sweeped under the rug as well?

My point is should the  US government be focused at plugging the leaks in their own departments rather than gagging Wikileaks?

What do you have to hide, that potentially truthful information may prove damaging.  Democracy is supposed to be based on the wishes of the people – so why is government so scared of the people finding out how they have governed?

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2010, 09:56:05 AM »
Took into custody in the Spring? Am I missing something, he was arrested when he turned himself in on Dec 7 to Scotland Yard

My mistake... you said "None of this would have come about if he did not leak the information"... by "he" I thought you were referring to Bradley Manning, the person who actually "leaked" the files to WikiLeaks.  Assange is the head of WikiLeaks and bears some responsibility, but I wouldn't say that he himself leaked it.

If it is proven that WikiLeaks hacked into the computers and stole the info, then agreed, its espionage. But if this charge is to get Assange arrested, sent to Sweden and then extradited to Guantanamo bay, it is wrong.

No one's accusing him of espionage... not yet at least.  Also, I'm not sure where you getting all this Guantanamo talk from.  The US trying to close Guanatanamo, not send more people there.  Besides, Guantanamo is for prisoners specifically accused of war crimes... if anything Assange would be imprisoned where WikiLeaks was headquartered at the time (Germany), or here on the US mainland itself, since the 'victim' of this crime is the US government.  Additionally, the implication of your statement is that this sexual assault charge was fabricated just to get Assange arrested and extradited, but why would the US have to go thru with such an elaborate conspiracy?  Couldn't they just have Germany (a friendly ally) pick him up and extradited?

WikiLeaks has done some excellent work, lets not forget the Collateral Damage’ videos. Which IMHO opinion was far more damaging to the US than the current leaks. Or should that have been sweeped under the rug as well?

If you read above you would see where I already said that I supported Bradley Manning for releasing those videos.  That's one thing.  Secondly, the fact that WikiLeaks has done "some" excellent work doesn't mean they get a pass on any and everything they do.  Even criminals have some redeeming qualities about them, doesn't mean they don't deserve to be punished for their crimes.

My point is should the  US government be focused at plugging the leaks in their own departments rather than gagging Wikileaks?

They can't do both?  The US government has already made improving security a priority.  Besides, the US government isn't focused on "gagging" WikiLeaks... if that was the case then they would have gone after them from the beginning.

What do you have to hide, that potentially truthful information may prove damaging.  Democracy is supposed to be based on the wishes of the people – so why is government so scared of the people finding out how they have governed?

Come nah man... you can't be serious. 

Leh we explore this line of argument.  If the police planning a raid on a a drug house, they should put up flyers in advance announcing de raid?  How about announce it on TV 2 hours before?  If they collaborating with Pakistani civilians to infiltrate and bring down Al Qaeda, this should be made public?  I could go on and on, but the fact is that whether the information is true or not isn't the barometer for determining what should be released into the public domain.  There's a reason why most diplomatic talks are conducted in private, you have to give whatever plan it is time to be fully devised and executed before you publicize it.  You don't come on this board and discuss what you and yuh family talk inside yuh house, right?  What yuh telling yuh family is lies?  Some things are just so sensitive that you have to keep them private.  No democracy is 100% transparent, nor should it be.  The 'democracy' talk is a convenient red herring being raised by the WikiLeaks apologists.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »
Ok Boss you have your views I have mine, lets see how this plays out.

But be careful for what allyuh wish for
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2010, 10:48:01 AM »
Ok Boss you have your views I have mine, lets see how this plays out.

But be careful for what allyuh wish for

Fair enough... but one last question.  What is the public benefit to come from this latest rounds of diplomatice leaks?

1]; } ?>