May 21, 2024, 03:32:04 PM

Author Topic: What makes a good world cup advertisement?  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
What makes a good world cup advertisement?
« on: May 28, 2010, 08:58:57 AM »
BBC NEWS

Grizzly Ad-man - Wayne Rooney in the new Nike commercial

By Tom Geoghegan
BBC News Magazine

Football-related adverts are filling the commercial breaks. As the World Cup in South Africa nears, many brands are hoping to capitalise on the national fervour surrounding England's hopes. How are they doing it?

Like the sound of the first cuckoo to herald the start of spring, the first glimpse of the Three Lions emblem during a commercial break means the World Cup must be only weeks away.

Drink, television and sportswear manufacturers are among those that can't resist drawing on the huge interest in England's fortunes.

They pour millions of pounds into devising commercials that resemble short films in their ambition, scale and technical wizardry, hopeful that if England do well, there could be the rare television event of 25 million people watching the box at one time.

But footballers aren't exactly renowned for their acting skills - at least, not off the pitch - so what tricks do brands employ to make these adverts work?

BE INSPIRATIONAL

Connecting with viewers on an emotional level is a favoured strategy, and Carlsberg has spent £750,000 on its World Cup advert, which puts the viewer inside the England dressing room, wearing the shirt and striding out to play.

Building on James Corden's popular turn as England manager for a Comic Relief sketch last year, Carlsberg's "best team talk in the world" features true knights of the English sporting realm exhorting the players to greatness.

Paul Gascoigne at Italia 90
World Cups are an emotional business

Sirs Steve (Redgrave), Clive (Woodward), Ian (Botham), Trevor (Brooking) and Ranulph (there's only one), are joined by Dames Kelly and Ellen, plus other former world champions in assorted sports.

"The biggest and most difficult part of the brief was that we wanted the hairs to stand up on the back of people's necks," says Paul Davies, director of brands and insights at Carlsberg.

There is emotional symbolism in the use of Sir Bobby Robson and 1966 World Cup winning captain Bobby Moore, he says. And it took agency Saatchi & Saatchi months to write the script and find the right voice to read it.

That happened by chance when, having rejected some undisclosed big names, they "found" a voiceover artist hanging around the agency's lobby, who won them over at his first reading.

But there are risks involved in pushing emotional buttons. Although many fans have said it gave them goose bumps, some columnists and bloggers have found the patriotism to be over-the-top.

Advertisement

A Banksy-style mural of Sir Bobby Robson features in the Carlsberg advert

BE BIG

Whether it's the wide open spaces of the Veldt (Pepsi, Adidas), the technical wizardry of recreating convincing football action (Nike) or simply forking out enough to entice sporting or comedy legends to take part (Carlsberg, Nationwide), it's all about being big, high and long. Big budgets, high ambitions and long running time.
Pepsi advert

Helicopter required

If you are a global brand, you want a big production, helicopters and African drums as a soundtrack, says Mark Fiddes, creative director at ad agency Draft FCB.

Nike even enlisted Alejandro Inarritu, the director of films 21 Grams and Babel, to mastermind a spectacular three-minute film which has already been viewed eight million times on YouTube.

It shows how key moments on the pitch in South Africa could have a huge impact across the globe. But it could be a victim of its own lofty ambitions, says Mr Fiddes.

"It looks to me like six different adverts thrown together. Do you have time to assimilate the sight of Wayne Rooney in a caravan and a statue of Cristiano Ronaldo?

"It's a lot to take in. As a project, it needed a bit more pacing but it was great to see Rooney with a beard. And hyperbole is one of Nike's hallmarks."

Advertisement

Rooney ponders future in advert

BE FUNNY

Rooney beating Roger Federer at table tennis (Nike). Terry Venables and Graham Taylor in a nursing home (Sony Bravia). Lionel Messi lost in the long grass (Pepsi).
Nationwide advert

Are the old jokes the best?

Many of the ads employ humour in some way, but the Nationwide one is slightly different because it employs well-known comedy characters, says Mr Fiddes.

Andy and Lou from BBC TV sketch show Little Britain reprise their usual routine, with Andy - the "wheelchair bound invalid" with a habit of performing acrobatics behind his carer's back - jumping out of his wheelchair to run rings around the England players as they train. It all happens while Lou is trying to get autograph from England manager Fabio Capello.

"They've used stock characters to underline the very Britishness of Nationwide," says Mr Fiddes. "The England players are just props. There is one simple message coming through - we support England."

Carlsberg bucks the trend by eschewing its stock-in-trade humour for passion. It explains this by saying it was responding to consumer research which suggested the country needed, above all, a sense of hope to escape the economic gloom.

GET STAR NAMES

Pepsi has enlisted a stellar cast of footballers, including Kaka, Lionel Messi and Thierry Henry.

SOME OF THE LINE-UPS
Sony Bravia: Former England managers (Venables, Taylor), one Scottish legend (Dalglish)
Nationwide: Comedians (Little Britain), the England team
Pepsi: Top footballers (Kaka, Messi, Henry, Lampard, Arshavin)
Nike: Footballers (Rooney, Ribery, Drogba, Cannavaro), guests (Federer, Homer, Bryant)
Carlsberg: English sporting champions (inc Carl Fogarty, Nigel Benn and Phil Taylor), cult football folk (Jeff Stelling),

Nike has Rooney, Franck Ribery and a player who is not even going to South Africa, Ronaldinho. But its "guest" stars are equally eye-catching - basketball player Kobe Bryant, tennis ace Federer and Homer Simpson.

Speaking parts are wisely kept to a minimum, although former managers Venables and Taylor do a decent turn in the Sony Bravia television campaign.

UNITE PLAYERS & FANS

In an era when the gulf between millionaire players and their fans has never been wider, brands seem to be doing their utmost to try to bridge that gap.

"There's a nice role reversal going on in the Pepsi commercial," says Mr Fiddes. "The Africans beat the professionals by moving the pitch."

The subtext there, he adds, is that the tournament belongs to the host nation and the fans, as much as the stars.

Kaka in Pepsi advert

One nation of Africans, millionaires and meerkats

This theme of unity is an important one, says branding expert Jonathan Gabay. The message in the Coca Cola advert, for example, is very much "one nation", with the fans and players united in the ecstasy of goal celebrations.

Central character Roger Milla - the Cameroonian striker who became a star of the 1990 World Cup - is in the stands with the fans. And Coke uses actors to perform the players' celebrations on the pitch.

In the same vein, Nike knowingly parodies the way riches are instantly showered on footballing heroes.

"The Nike ad is saying it only takes one second to be a hero or zero, so they are saying 'we are just like you'," says Mr Gabay.

Both Nike and Carlsberg encourage fans to upload their own films of themselves playing or giving a team talk, he adds, to further this sense of fan empowerment.

DON'T FORGET THE REST OF THE UK

Sony is conscious that the rest of the UK may not be supporting England, indeed some Britons could be actively cheering on the opposition.

So the advert's punchline features the entry of Scottish footballing legend Kenny Dalglish who is cheering on England's opponents, USA, much to the annoyance of former England bosses Venables and Taylor.

DON'T OVERTLY SELL

Advertising is about sell versus tell, says Mr Gabay, with much greater emphasis these days on telling rather than selling. So in many of these ads, the branding only appears in the final shot.

"Telling the viewers it's about the game and the excitement and 'We can do it, lads' gives an advertiser a sense of authenticity.

"If they simply say 'Buy it here', people will feel like they are being hit over the head and switch off."

BE A VIRAL HIT

By the time the Nike ad made its television debut in the Champions League Final on Saturday on ITV and Sky, it had already been viewed five million times on YouTube, says Dan Clays of digital media agency Arena Quantum.

Television ads are still critical to these campaigns, especially when viewed during matches, he says, but online strategy is increasingly important.

Their investment in such blockbuster TV ads are a commercial success
Dan Clays
Digital media expert

"YouTube usage has grown since the last World Cup and it has emerged as a platform for higher quality content where brands are not out of place.

"With Facebook increasing the viral nature of the web, the likes of Nike have been able to use YouTube as a way of driving incremental coverage at absolutely minimal cost. This ultimately ensures their investment in such blockbuster TV ads are a commercial success."

The online campaign began more than a week ago when Nike gave its ad to bloggers and influencers, says Mr Clays. It also has one million fans on Facebook and its own YouTube channel with extra content.

Other brands had the same strategy, he adds, but the key ingredient to Nike's viral success is the scale of the investment in the ad and the calibre of stars that cash was spent on.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a good world cup advertisement?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:20:03 AM »
For me it simpler than that...

1. Capture the beauty of the game
2. Show the high level of skill played at the WC level
3. Show the joy of the players playing the game
4. Show the joy of the fans at the game
5. Show the joy of the fans following at home
6. Show fans in different countries simultaneously watching
7. Show the game being played by the average joe/child from different countries
8. Show something unique about the teams at the WC, for instance everybody know that the Brazilians known for their flair and Samba football; the African players for their flair and exuberance... especially their celebrations
9. Capture the international flavor of the event... show representation from the different countries in the stands, the fan fests etc.
10. (Add yours here)

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:46:41 PM »
that puma commercial is a perfect example.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 01:05:27 PM »
Nike is an advertising juggernaut. They have more money than the nearest competitor which is probably Adidas and they probably don't have the restrictions that Adidas has being an official FIFA Sponsor.

The amount of money it probably took to produce and run a 3 minute ad during the Champions league Final is probably astronomical, having said that I think it is probably one of the best Nike Ads I have seen but not the best football ad. The 1995 one with Cantona at the end has more impact for me.

The Homer Simpson cameo is priceless though.

We are in a new advertising age where a company can produce an ad and air it for free on youtube, viral ads are now a viable form of media and with the right placement and social networking behind it (twitter, facebook) could have more impact than the conventional tv spot.

This is from an advertising newsletter I get.

Nike Breaks Own Viral Record With World Cup Ad
YouTube Lands on Chart for 5-Year Birthday Spot

by Michael Learmonth
Published: May 27, 2010

Nike isn't an official World Cup sponsor, but its three-minute "Write the Future" video broke the record for the biggest audience in the first week of a campaign with 7.8 million views. That record, incidentally, was by another Nike ad: the somber and strange "Earl and Tiger" ad, which debuted earlier this year with 6.3 million views in its first week.

Nike's World Cup ad started a cast of international soccer stars including Didier Drogba, Wayne Rooney, Franck Ribery and Christiano Ronald. (Mr. Rooney is shown a future living in a trailer if he fails to catch Mr. Ribery steaming toward England's goal.) As the chart from Visible Measures shows, the video truly has international appeal.

Interestingly, Pepsi also is not an official World Cup sponsor, but its "Oh Africa" has spent seven weeks on the Viral Chart.

YouTube is the platform that makes video powerful for viral ads like Nike's, so fitting on the week of its 5th birthday, YouTube landed its own ad on the chart, "YouTube Turns Five." Seven of the entrants this week are chart veterans, including Toyota, Old Spice, Evian, Gillette and Microsoft.

No. 10 is another newcomer, Canada's Fortnight Lingerie, with an example of an ad you probably wouldn't see on TV. It's almost not-safe-for-work content is excused somewhat by a public service in the form of a refresher course on CPR.

Més que un club.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 03:09:47 PM »
Does Nike deserve the props or should praise go to their ad agency?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »

Props should go to the ad agency but Nike have been doing it best for a long time now.. they are at the forefront of adveritising/selling an image or lifestyle as opposed to an actual product.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 06:42:18 PM »

Chances are they haven't always used the same Ad agency... yet they always come up with killer ad campaigns.  My thoughts are that the agencies executes the plan, but the vision probably comes from the client, Nike.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »

Chances are they haven't always used the same Ad agency... yet they always come up with killer ad campaigns.  My thoughts are that the agencies executes the plan, but the vision probably comes from the client, Nike.

Based on what I know about the role of an ad agency as far as copwriting and developing concepts I would question the validity of that last part... I gather that the creative process is way more of a joint effort than you imply....I think you're selling ad agencies short by implying that they are more doers & executors than developers of creative concepts. 

As far as which agency they've used through time, I'm not sure what the facts are, but I wouldn't be surprised if in that line of business major ad agencies have "accounts" to whom they are contracted for periods of time and thus serve long term business relationships. 

Would be interesting to get a behind the scenes look at how all the parts come together to make the final product...

edit: Out of curiosity I just browsed weiden & kennedy's website and wiki- looks like they've been doing with Nike since the 80's (apparently they're responsible for the tagline "just do it")

http://www.wk.com/office/portland/client/nike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieden%2BKennedy
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:55:18 PM by kicker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 08:21:58 AM »

Based on what I know about the role of an ad agency as far as copwriting and developing concepts I would question the validity of that last part... I gather that the creative process is way more of a joint effort than you imply....I think you're selling ad agencies short by implying that they are more doers & executors than developers of creative concepts

As far as which agency they've used through time, I'm not sure what the facts are, but I wouldn't be surprised if in that line of business major ad agencies have "accounts" to whom they are contracted for periods of time and thus serve long term business relationships. 

Would be interesting to get a behind the scenes look at how all the parts come together to make the final product...

edit: Out of curiosity I just browsed weiden & kennedy's website and wiki- looks like they've been doing with Nike since the 80's (apparently they're responsible for the tagline "just do it")

http://www.wk.com/office/portland/client/nike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieden%2BKennedy

I was speaking specifically in this instance... which is why I mentioned "the client, Nike"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 11:24:46 AM »

I was speaking specifically in this instance... which is why I mentioned "the client, Nike"

My point is that I don't think the vision comes primarily from "the client" Nike  I think WK plays a way bigger role than you imply....and to your point about Nike always having killer ads possibly through different ad agencies... based on Weiden Kennedy's page, that might be an incorrect assumption as well - looks to me like they've run Nikes ad campaigns for a long time in a role that is bigger than just an executor... hence the reason that I think WK might play a bigger role than implied....

Check out the links.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:33:54 AM by kicker »

giggsy11

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 12:46:36 PM »
Pepsi were the leaders in quality ads before Nike joined the party!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 03:50:50 PM »

My point is that I don't think the vision comes primarily from "the client" Nike  I think WK plays a way bigger role than you imply....and to your point about Nike always having killer ads possibly through different ad agencies... based on Weiden Kennedy's page, that might be an incorrect assumption as well - looks to me like they've run Nikes ad campaigns for a long time in a role that is bigger than just an executor... hence the reason that I think WK might play a bigger role than implied....

Check out the links.

It's a definite assumption on my part that Nike has used different agencies over the years.  I don't disagree with you that generally ad agencies are the ones pushing the creativity envelope, I just think that with Nike in particular they have a lot more input than most.   Just an assumption on my part based on Nike's reputation for design and creativity.  I see that reflected in their ads... maybe WK just good at capturing the essence of their clients.  I could be wrong though.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »

It's a definite assumption on my part that Nike has used different agencies over the years.  I don't disagree with you that generally ad agencies are the ones pushing the creativity envelope, I just think that with Nike in particular they have a lot more input than most.   Just an assumption on my part based on Nike's reputation for design and creativity.  I see that reflected in their ads... maybe WK just good at capturing the essence of their clients.  I could be wrong though.

Like yuh doh wanna large up WK at all jed... Yuh's a Nike insider or?  ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 06:23:05 PM »
Like yuh doh wanna large up WK at all jed... Yuh's a Nike insider or?  ;D

Lol, nah man if anything ah probably trying to give Nike too much credit like yuh say  :D

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 10:34:10 AM »
Yuh know Bakes eh like to leggo no argument jus jus so.
If he were on the other side he would have been tearing his argument to shreds.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 05:21:01 PM »
Just a lil something to add to the Nike Ad agency debate  ;D

http://www.slate.com/id/2256074/?GT1=38001

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

1]; } ?>