May 17, 2024, 11:04:19 AM

Author Topic: Union’s Daniel going from fill-in to mainstay  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Union’s Daniel going from fill-in to mainstay
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:12:18 AM »
Union’s Daniel going from fill-in to mainstay
By Christopher A. Vito (Delaware County Daily Times)

He got his chance to start because of an injury. He’s earned a chance to keep his starting job because of his superb play.

Three months ago, Keon Daniel was a relatively unknown commodity to Union fans. He was a trialist working to earn a sniff of the pitch during a rigorous preseason stint.

In three regular-season starts, Daniel has done more than that. He’s evolved into the kind of attacking midfielder Union manager Peter Nowak needs.

“I think I got my chance because of Justin (Mapp) picking up his injury,” Daniel said recently at PPL Park. “I got a chance to play, and I took it and I did the best I can.

“I think (the technical staff) always like hard work. That’s something I always have and always bring. … Hard work always pays off. That’s something I do.”

Daniel and the Union (3-1-1, 10 points), fresh off a bye week, return to the pitch Saturday against the San Jose Earthquakes (1-3-2, 5 points). Kickoff is at 4 p.m. at PPL Park.

Daniel, inked to a contract on the eve of the Union’s season opener, has not disappointed. In fact, the 6-1 physical middie is exceeding expectations.

While Mapp has since recovered, midfielder Brian Carroll is still nagged by an injury. So Daniel is expected to get another start in Saturday’s match.

Though just 24 years old and in his first swing with the franchise, Daniel appears to blend well with his teammates. He makes his runs fluidly, his challenges cleanly and picks his spots to attack in the Union’s offensive third.

He comes with plenty of experience, having earned 46 caps with the national team of his native Trinidad and Tobago. His transition with the Union has been eased by the club’s signing of third-string goalkeeper Thorne Holder, also a T&T native and Daniel’s roommate.

“It’s good because it makes it even more comfortable, after football, you go home and talk to someone,” Daniel said. “It makes it easier knowing that we can relate to each other because we’re both from the same island.

“Thorne and I played U-20s together and, after that, we never saw each other because he came to school in the states (University of Maryland and Adelphi University in New York) and I turned pro. We didn’t see each other for three, four years. I always knew him. So even if I saw him five years from now, we’d still be friends.”

Daniel’s not going to be the guy who will score for the Union, though they certainly could use another weapon with a nose for goal. Despite ranking second in the Eastern Conference standings, the Union rank last in goals scored. But even in three starts, Daniel has shown a penchant for getting the Union organized as they attack.

He’s made the deft passes to put teammates in position to score. He’s covered plenty of ground to move the ball up the pitch. Additionally, he’s done so without making costly turnovers.

That’s why the Union, who have 11 midfielders on their roster, are more than happy to have Daniel among them.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Union’s Daniel going from fill-in to mainstay
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:31:09 AM »
“I think I got my chance because of Justin (Mapp) picking up his injury,” Daniel said recently at PPL Park. “I got a chance to play, and I took it and I did the best I can.

“I think (the technical staff) always like hard work. That’s something I always have and always bring. … Hard work always pays off. That’s something I do.”

Unless as with many TT senior players, yuh pick sure; yuh not getting paid; yuh vote fete/party - same thing; certain men playing before you, cause they done make name,not effort now; is "my time now"; yuh expect to get pay, without work - hey everybody else round me does;...etc..etc...

Well done, everyone concerned, Agent, Coach, Roomie, family, friend, especially you Mr Daniel, keep it up

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 10:18:34 AM »
Daniel’s not going to be the guy who will score for the Union, though they certainly could use another weapon with a nose for goal.

Give him a chance with those freekicks close to the box and that will change.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 02:22:01 PM »
So Glad to hear that this man is doing well.   Based on other articles, it seems that he is also helping out defensively too...thats a big plus.   :beermug:   Keep up the good work and keep improving.  :beermug:

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 02:45:13 PM »
He CAN score goals, he was our leading scorer for a time in the last WCQs. Keep up the good work.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: Union?s Daniel going from fill-in to mainstay
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 03:13:05 PM »
Leaves me to wonder: Why aren't our local coaches able to really nurture talent consistently?  Is it that our national team players are over-coddled by our local coaches?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:16:26 PM by Tenorsaw »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 06:32:02 PM »
If is one thing, Daniel could shoot from outside and take some solid free kicks, but he must feel comfortable with the team, if they give him de chance Daniel to blister teams in de MLS.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 07:45:58 PM »
Daniel’s not going to be the guy who will score for the Union, though they certainly could use another weapon with a nose for goal.

Give him a chance with those freekicks close to the box and that will change.

First thing come into my mind. Plus he's more than capable of scoring in the run of play.

Play yuh football Daniel. Yuh have the technical ability to excel.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 06:02:19 PM »
He's in the starting lineup for tonight's game against Everton.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 06:31:31 PM »
He played a good game this weekend....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 12:31:14 PM »
Freddy Adu sign for de Union. Lewwe see how he and Keon link up.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 05:41:19 PM »
Freddy Adu sign for de Union. Lewwe see how he and Keon link up.

Yeah ah see that. Daniel better learn to be MORE AGGRESSIVE! Unless he like pine
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »
If allyuh not watching... allyuh missing a heck of a game between Man City and Swansea... good lawd!!  City hit everything but the back of the net in the first half... I lost count of how many times defenders fling they way in front a shot in the box.  When is not that, is the post, the crossbar (twice)... and then the Swansea keeper. 

Man, Swansea have a star on their hands in Michel Vorm.  He's Holland 3rd string keeper but with this promotion to the EPL he has a chance to make a real name for himself.  He's very strong in the box, in terms of decision-making and presence... not afraid to take a hit (unlike another over-hyped shitsnake who name we won't call right now).  Early he was shaky on some of his passes out the box... kicking a couple balls out of bounds, but he's settled in nicely.  He has about3-4 saves already in the first half, and the only times he was beaten (Silva, Barry), the crossbar save him.

All that aside, Swansea playing a real nice brand of football... best of the three promoted squads on present form.  Their two forwards, Sinclair and Dyer have world class pace, plus they young and confident with the ball... really nice to watch.

You are correct on all of your points!!!

Very exciting game
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 04:03:02 PM »
I posted in the wrong thread by accident... moved the discussion to the EPL thread.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 06:53:41 PM »
I just surprised by Keon Daniel assertion that he likes to work, it's what he does. He always seemed lazy and slow to me so if that change for real, then we finally have a good playmaker again.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

1]; } ?>