May 15, 2024, 02:40:47 AM

Author Topic: Soca Warriors' merchandise on sale Monday.  (Read 19879 times)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Warriors' merchandise on sale Monday.
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2006, 09:52:39 AM »
Aye ppl talking about what we are accustomed too,but this is not about what we are accustomed too,it's about who and what we are as a people,it's all about identity,we have to portray the the things that make us different and stand out against the rest of the world.

I will always have to refer to Jamaica,this is what make them who they are,look at the uniform they wore at the last WC ppl up here still wear and buy it,look at the design on it,it relates to them,same music,lifestyle,the way they talk,any where they go it's the same,plus they are together and look out for each other.

I'm not saying they are better than us but why can't we have our own identity,it's a stupid mentality we have that foreign is better,i will not be surprised if one day some foreign country take over here with this cosmopolitan shit ppl talking about.

well said Coops, well said...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2006, 10:02:13 AM »
Aye ppl talking about what we are accustomed too,but this is not about what we are accustomed too,it's about who and what we are as a people,it's all about identity,we have to portray the the things that make us different and stand out against the rest of the world.

I will always have to refer to Jamaica,this is what make them who they are,look at the uniform they wore at the last WC ppl up here still wear and buy it,look at the design on it,it relates to them,same music,lifestyle,the way they talk,any where they go it's the same,plus they are together and look out for each other.

I'm not saying they are better than us but why can't we have our own identity,it's a stupid mentality we have that foreign is better,i will not be surprised if one day some foreign country take over here with this cosmopolitan shit ppl talking about.

true dat. sadly, it seems that we are becoming more like naipaul's mimic men on a daily basis.

coops = football legend = teacher = cultural scholar

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2006, 04:41:52 PM »
why these warriror girls outfits patterned after North American Native Americans? i didn't realize we had a large Native American population in trinidad.

just showing how people fricking brainwash yes.

why not dress them like limbo dancers or pan women or anything more representative of trini culture?

ok. i done. let me go clean out mih tee pee then put on some mocassins and go hunt buffalo with mih boh and arrow now.

Say nothing of the fact that it's offensive to Native Americans...black people is sumting else oui "ain't nobody ice cold like de white man ice"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2006, 04:43:55 PM »
But Indian costumes have been around a long time, why the fuss ? Why does carnival costumes should only be limbo dancers or pan women ? we are a mix country, and yes, they can dress like Indians, it dont have to necessary mean American Indians, maybe it looks good....

Grow up man...

Like de man say...what de fack Native American headdresses have to do with TnT culture?  Daiz de only kinda 'Warriors' they know?  I woulda quicker accept something with an African theme...but I could only hear dem 'Chutney Soca Warriors" idiots clammering arready...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2006, 04:45:45 PM »
fair point, Andre...but what is Trini culture exactly? how can we represent that which we do not know? :angel:

Wow...speak for yourself young grasshopper.  Better yet, educate yuhself!

Offline Corbie chile

• meh mudda an faddah chile...
  • Jr. Warrior
  • i love being me....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2006, 04:47:31 PM »
fair point, Andre...but what is Trini culture exactly? how can we represent that which we do not know? :angel:

oh doods...YOU didn go dey... 8)
who vex loss

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2006, 04:48:26 PM »
why these warriror girls outfits patterned after North American Native Americans? i didn't realize we had a large Native American population in trinidad.

just showing how people fricking brainwash yes.

why not dress them like limbo dancers or pan women or anything more representative of trini culture?

ok. i done. let me go clean out mih tee pee then put on some mocassins and go hunt buffalo with mih boh and arrow now.

Fellas this is serious thing, really why the AMERICAN INDIAN portrayal???, my friends here laughing at me, asking me what tribe I from, that aint no representation of Trini. Somebody on that marketing team need a good cut ass,  is that we going and portray to the world?? They should put some more thought into that man, it embarrasing..

yuh feel carib iz just ah beer or what.

trini had tribes too pardner. america was not the only people with natives

yuh tink arawak iz just chiken people too ent

There is no record of any of our Amerindian forefathers dressing in this manner...sorry pardna but dat is what yuh call 'a reach'.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2006, 04:50:57 PM »

No offense...but those are profound words to say that you don't know your own culture.

At any rate...ah juss reading whey yuh say tuh take it easy on yuh...too bad I come from de School of Hard Clout...but ah go try and remember fuh next time  8)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 04:55:45 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Corbie chile

• Jr. Warrior
  • i love being me....
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2006, 04:55:23 PM »

No offense...but those are profound words to say that you don't know your own culture.
none taken (now), sweetie...but my comment was in relation to the question i posed in which i asked what is Trini culture... :) maybe you would like to offer a definition?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 05:00:48 PM by Corbie chile »
who vex loss

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2006, 04:59:06 PM »
tuh arse wit dat! dress dem in ah haf ah slip pullup to dey chess and call dat george oui!...now dat is trini dress....and doh fuhget tuh wet'it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2006, 04:59:26 PM »
none taken (now), sweetie...but my comment was in relation to the question i posed in which i asked what is Trini culture... :) maybe you would like to offer a definition?

Hard question indeed to answer.  I'd say that Trinidad is a dynamic mosaic of peoples of the African, Asian and European disaspora and that our culture is the unique expression of the sum of those collective experiences.  

Offline Corbie chile

• Jr. Warrior
  • i love being me....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2006, 05:01:57 PM »

Hard question indeed to answer.  I'd say that Trinidad is a dynamic mosaic of peoples of the African, Asian and European disaspora and that our culture is the unique expression of the sum of those collective experiences.  
and how would you suggest such a diaspora be represented on the world's stage?
who vex loss

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2006, 05:20:10 PM »

and how would you suggest such a diaspora be represented on the world's stage?

That's a question that would be better posed to the marketing gurus charged with promoting we culture, and perhaps something. that should have been thought of before they settled on the 'Soca Warriors' moniker...which itself is biting off ah Jamaica's "Reggae Boyz"...which itself bites off of Brazil's "Samba Boys".

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2006, 07:24:02 AM »
Look how sweet them gal is....

To me the costumes look like a mixture of carnival and an American Indian head piece with T&T colors.... it wicked !!!!!

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2006, 10:19:14 AM »
What the hell theme is it they really trying to portray for the team? Dey does be drinking when dey sit dong to study dem tings or what?The  only thing representative of TNT is the colours.

It remind me of when yuh come home early one morning after a fete drunk no hell and yuh could eat ah horse, but is only 4 days worth ah leftovers in the fridge. So yuh end up with curry chicken, stew beef, steam fish, Stew Chicken, lentil peas, red peas, macaroni pie AND macaroni and cheese all mixup together on one plate.
Just like how dem woman looking is de best meal yuh ever have but what de hell yuh go call it?

I woulda fire dat entire marketing team, if dey have one........First Ah European style Knight's Helmet and Shield(ugliest logo ever), paired with ah North American Indian outfit.

What next Red, White and Black Ballet slippers?
Two islands are better than one.

1]; } ?>