May 15, 2024, 07:04:26 AM

Author Topic: Words Cannot Express My Pride In Being The One To Post This  (Read 17978 times)

Offline jw107

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Words Cannot Express My Pride In Being The One To Post This
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 10:18:13 AM »
Nobody ever said you can't have an opinion. It is the forum chosen. Bob Costas and all those who purer than pure should go and cover the purity games if they want!!!!!!!! You don't do a man like that with a primetime televison audience and the man has no opportunity to respond to your comments. That is the disgrace.Passing judgement on people you don't even know. Listen to Bolt's interviews, they have been gracious. Thats why I'm happy the VAST MAJORITY of the worlds media and pundits have taken to Bolt. You could do a count of for and against if yuh dont believe me!

They say he is what the sport needs and they love his personality. Only a few fools see it differently and have the gall to treat the man like that in public. Frankie, hold yuh opinion, I respect yuh, but Bob Costas you gone to another level. Holier than thou. Check yourself before you tell people what they did and how they should behave.

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2008, 10:51:34 AM »
Nobody ever said you can't have an opinion. It is the forum chosen. Bob Costas and all those who purer than pure should go and cover the purity games if they want!!!!!!!! You don't do a man like that with a primetime televison audience and the man has no opportunity to respond to your comments. That is the disgrace.Passing judgement on people you don't even know. Listen to Bolt's interviews, they have been gracious. Thats why I'm happy the VAST MAJORITY of the worlds media and pundits have taken to Bolt. You could do a count of for and against if yuh dont believe me!

They say he is what the sport needs and they love his personality. Only a few fools see it differently and have the gall to treat the man like that in public. Frankie, hold yuh opinion, I respect yuh, but Bob Costas you gone to another level. Holier than thou. Check yourself before you tell people what they did and how they should behave.

Co-sign :beermug:
I find it sad that on a day when we should have all been proud of Bolt's accomplishment, those that should know better found it necessary to tarnish Bolt's moment of glory.
The fact that he broke the world record while celebrating is what some see as disrespectful. Prior to this, in a 100 meter race no one has celebrated during the race with the same exuberance,  for fear of losing.   I saw no disrespect, Bolt's persona is a breath of fresh air, he can be the catalyst the sport needs to reinvigorate itself.  It is strange that the spin has changed from one of  "disrespect" to "he should have finished the race".  Convenient! :shameonyou:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:43:12 PM by takenoprisoners »

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2008, 10:54:49 AM »
Joke is joke  but after reading  some of the commentaries and the inquiries about Bolt's accomplishments, it seems that there is  a bias tendency by some to:

A. question the legitimacy of his accomplishments. To this date, I have not seen the press nor read of similar type questioning about Phelps accomplishments. In contrast  he is already  receiving endorsements and  I saw an image of him on a cereal box!!! Was Mark Spitz another accomplished swimmer from the USA glory days ever held under suspicion for his accomplishments?

When Conte (Balco), throws a statement about alleged 'doping' surrounding Caribbean athletes it serves to minimize our accomplishments and to imply that success in athletics is reserved for certain countries. The Olympics is the venue whereby the venue where by all nations regardless of size, demographics and any other variable could send  athletes to compete whit the hope that glory could be accorded upon them and raise the  profile of  nation.

B. to be critical of his  expressions of victory. His style and decorum may well be  attributed to age as some suggest or it may simply be an expression of personal joy!!!!  I have observed how different athletes have different approaches to how they 'psyche up' for the race and how they approach the start of a race. In the same way the celebrations at the end  could be nothing but a personal  choice.
I eh know  there was a standard protocol for that!!! This week  Bolt and the  the nation of Jamaica should relish in their accomplishments and in aiding to add to the positive perception of the Caribbean region; for a week  the region is not simply about tourism, sun sand, crime , and all the notorious public press which has served to put us in a daunting  light . Today we stand with Jamaica on top of the athletic world and we share in  their accomplishments.

I am reminded of a quotation that  I have often heard from many Jamaicans:

"The heights by great men reached and kept were not obtained by sudden flight,But they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Just maybe the people toiling awayy for years while others sit back and continue to relish in their pride.

Damn straight.  Even today's paper (Toronto Star, see below)  have ah article dat all but start out by questionin whether he doped or not!! STEUPS!! 

http://olympics.thestar.com/2008/article/482695
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2008, 10:57:15 AM »
I really don't see what the big deal is with BOLT so what if he beat his chest steuupss! HE IS A CHAMPION and celebrated his moment nothing is wrong with that. If an American had won in similar fashion we would not even be having this discussion NBC would be all over it and we would have know the guy's life history by the time he recieved his medal. STEEEUPPPS

MAURICE GREEN, BAILEY all celebrated in similar fashion so what is the big deal! This is not a team event you run your own race and win or lose it by yourself, if you don't want to jump up with and or congratulate the other runners that should be your own perogative.

BOLT DO YUH DO AND DANCE YUH DANCE
is your time to shine!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2008, 12:09:49 PM »
I hope alyuh does teach yuh chirren that type of thinking. Dem doing it so if I do it it must be ok.  :bs:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2008, 12:18:05 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/track_field/news?slug=dw-rogge082108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Rogge rips the wrong guy
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

BEIJING — Jacques Rogge is so bought, so compromised, the president of the IOC doesn’t have the courage to criticize China for telling a decade of lies to land itself these Olympic Games.

All the promises made to get these Games — on Tibet, Darfur, pollution, worker safety, freedom of expression, dissident rights — turned out to be phony, perhaps as phony as the Chinese gymnasts’ birthdates Rogge was way too scared to investigate.

One of the most powerful men in sports turned the world away from his complicity. Instead, he has flexed his muscles by unloading on a powerless sprinter from a small island nation.

Rogge’s ripping of Usain Bolt’s supposed showboating in two of the most electrifying gold-medal performances of these Games has to be one of the most ill-timed and gutless acts in the modern history of the Olympics.

“That’s not the way we perceive being a champion,” Rogge said of the Jamaican sprinter. “I have no problem with him doing a show. I think he should show more respect for his competitors and shake hands, give a tap on the shoulder to the other ones immediately after the finish and not make gestures like the one he made in the 100 meters.”

Oh, this is richer than those bribes and kickbacks the IOC got caught taking.

All the powerful nations — including the United States — have carte blanche at the Games. They can pout and preen, cheat, throw bean balls, file wild complaints, break promises that got them a host bid, whatever they want. They can take turns slapping Rogge and his cronies around like rag dolls as long as the dinner with a good wine list gets paid.

A single individual sprinter? Even if you don’t like his manner, that’s whom Rogge deems it necessary to attack, to issue a worldwide condemnation?

“I understand the joy,” Rogge said. “He might have interpreted that in another way, but the way it was perceived was ‘catch me if you can.’ You don’t do that. But he’ll learn. He’s still a young man.”

Perceived by whom? Old fat cats making billions of Olympic dollars on the backs of athletes like Bolt for a century now? They get to define this? They get to lecture about learning?

Bolt is everything the Olympics are supposed to be about. He isn’t the product of some rich country, some elaborate training program that churns out gold medals by any means necessary.

He’s a breath of fresh air, a guy who came out of nowhere to enrapture the world with his athletic performance and colorful personality. This is no dead-eye product of some massive machine.

He was himself, and the world loved him for it.

On his own force of will, Bolt has become the break-out star of these Games. He saved the post-Michael Phelps Olympics. It wasn’t so much his world-record times, but the flair, the fun.

No one at the track had a problem with this guy; they understood he is everything the sport needs to recover from an era of extreme doping. The Lightning Bolt made people care about track again, something that seemed impossible two weeks ago.

“I don’t feel like he’s being disrespectful,” American Shawn Crawford told the Associated Press. “He deserves to dance.”

Apparently, Rogge would prefer 12-year-old gymnasts too frightened to crack a smile.

It got better when, in the same press conference, he pretended to forget all the lies China told him to get this bid, all the troubles, all the challenges, and praised the host nation. Yes, these have been an exceptionally well-run Games from a tactical standpoint, and the Chinese people have displayed otherworldly kindness.

None of which denies the promises broken, the innocent jailed, the freedoms denied — the kind of issues someone with Jacques Rogge’s standing should be talking about.

He has no spine for that. Not for China. Not for any big country. He had to criticize someone, he had to make headlines, he had to show he was a tough guy. So who better than someone from somewhere that can’t ever touch him back?

Yes, Usain Bolt is the problem of the Olympics. He’s the embarrassment. He’s the one who needs to learn.

Sure, Jacques, sure.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2008, 12:24:40 PM »
Very good article by Dan Wetzel... excellent even.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2008, 12:26:50 PM »
Flash you have all that relentless gushing of pride just to post someone else's opinion   ???

So let me get this straight, by your manner of reasoning, anything that comes out of Jack Warner's mouth should be as good as gold then?   ::)

Jacques Rogge talking ah pile ah shit.

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 01:28:54 PM »
Flash you have all that relentless gushing of pride just to post someone else's opinion   ???

So let me get this straight, by your manner of reasoning, anything that comes out of Jack Warner's mouth should be as good as gold then?   ::)

The more I read these message boards I realize how our English teachers are failing us. Nowhere did I ever say the IOC President, Jack Warner, Sepp Blatter or anybody mouth should be good as gold. And I certainly was not 'gushing relentlessly' about anything
I posted that article to show that, contrary to what many want to perpetuate, Ato was not alone in his opinion and that there are many people(some in very HIGH places) who shared the same opinion. THAT is what we all have on this issue...an opinion!

This was never about whether or not we agree about Usain's behavior.

This was about many people using the one thing Ato has ever said about Bolt that wasn't positive to attack his objectivity, his own accomplishments, his track behavior, his relationship with his former teammates, his patriotism and even his accent!

Imagine an idiot like Paul Richards, a jackass like Jason Williams and some clown who calls himself Super Jigga TC would act out a skit on Synergy TV last night belittling Ato without even apprising themselves of the fact that Ato won an Olympic 100m Silver Medal just like their overnight hero Richard Thompson, who according to them "come out ah nowhere" when many of us, Ato included, has been singing his praises for the past year plus.
Instead they went and made asses of themselves bigging up Usain and Richard for their gold and silver respectively, while dissing Ato 'cuz he only get bronze'. What is worse is that these clowns, are all "Radio Personalities" on radio stations where you could swear all the Djs are American or Jamaican if you didn't know better, yet Paul had the nerve to mock Ato accent.

My 'pride' in posting the article is in eager anticipation of the (non) reaction towards the IOC President, from those who were quick to badmouth Ato in the media.
I really hope every last one of them who forming the Anti-Boldon Facebook groups and writing to the newspapers bashing Ato go ahead and flood the IOC with the same complaints. Let's see how that turns out.
I guess Jacques Rogge is just jealous cause he couldn't win a sailing medal in 1976 when Crawfie and Quarrie ruled the roost!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on this and nobody is above reproach.
Know this though. When the IOC President talks Mr. Bolt better listen and pick some sense outta nonsense. Better believe that!
Say what you want about the man but the spirit and intent of the Olympic Games backs up his comments, regardless whether some people think his comments are unjustified, ill-timed or unrealistic.
It is not for the IOC President to lower the standards of the Olympic movement to accomodate the whims and fancies of Generation Y.
I doubt Pierre Baron de Coubertin ever wanted Vince McMahon to be IOC President even in 2008.

If you don't agree with that sit down and say de big man talking shit if you feel like. See if he and his IOC miss you, your country or even your region.
I doubt Jack Warner cared when I was cussin he mudder on June 1st when I had to stand up to watch T&T vs England, despite buying my tickets within and hour of them going on sale and arriving at the Stadium 1:30 pm, because everybody with a bogus ticket got in. Even I big enough to know that Jack (ass) wasn't gonna miss me.

And for the record, I think Dan Wetzel did a GREAT job of expressing his opinion on this issue even if I don't agree 100%

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2008, 01:41:58 PM »
I doh know about all this fuss but I remember Crawford crossing the finishing line with his hand up in celebration.  I guess he was unsportsmanlike too.

Damn you Crawfie, we may have to put an asterix next to our first and only gold medal (may need to edit this afte we win Gold in the 4x100m relay).

Blessing
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 01:54:03 PM »
I really don't see what the big deal is with BOLT so what if he beat his chest steuupss! HE IS A CHAMPION and celebrated his moment nothing is wrong with that. If an American had won in similar fashion we would not even be having this discussion NBC would be all over it and we would have know the guy's life history by the time he recieved his medal. STEEEUPPPS

MAURICE GREEN, BAILEY all celebrated in similar fashion so what is the big deal! This is not a team event you run your own race and win or lose it by yourself, if you don't want to jump up with and or congratulate the other runners that should be your own perogative.

BOLT DO YUH DO AND DANCE YUH DANCE
is your time to shine!

My sentiments exactly.

I had no probs with de yute celebrations. You so sorf, he have to time to beat he chest. Who fault dat is?

Yute celbrate. I COOL WID IT!!

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 01:57:23 PM »
I doh know about all this fuss but I remember Crawford crossing the finishing line with his hand up in celebration.  I guess he was unsportsmanlike too.

Damn you Crawfie, we may have to put an asterix next to our first and only gold medal (may need to edit this afte we win Gold in the 4x100m relay).

Blessing

I remember someone else winning a gold at the World Championships for we and raising his hands in celebration before he crossed the line. Could it be our own Ato Boldon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9hpW7S2A_8

Not quite as exuberant as Bolt but still during the race.

I'm not criticizing Ato but I'd just like to hear his take on this and if there's a "line" somewhere that Bolt crossed in his celebration that Ato didn't.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 02:18:11 PM »

The more I read these message boards I realize how our English teachers are failing us. Nowhere did I ever say the IOC President, Jack Warner, Sepp Blatter or anybody mouth should be good as gold. And I certainly was not 'gushing relentlessly' about anything
I posted that article to show that, contrary to what many want to perpetuate, Ato was not alone in his opinion and that there are many people(some in very HIGH places) who shared the same opinion. THAT is what we all have on this issue...an opinion!

This was about many people using the one thing Ato has ever said about Bolt that wasn't positive to attack his objectivity, his own accomplishments, his track behavior, his relationship with his former teammates, his patriotism and even his accent!

Imagine an idiot like Paul Richards, a jackass like Jason Williams and some clown who calls himself Super Jigga TC would act out a skit on Synergy TV last night belittling Ato without even apprising themselves of the fact that Ato won an Olympic 100m Silver Medal just like their overnight hero Richard Thompson, who according to them "come out ah nowhere" when many of us, Ato included, has been singing his praises for the past year plus.
Instead they went and made asses of themselves bigging up Usain and Richard for their gold and silver respectively, while dissing Ato 'cuz he only get bronze'. What is worse is that these clowns, are all "Radio Personalities" on radio stations where you could swear all the Djs are American or Jamaican if you didn't know better, yet Paul had the nerve to mock Ato accent.

My 'pride' in posting the article is in eager anticipation of the (non) reaction towards the IOC President, from those who were quick to badmouth Ato in the media.
I really hope every last one of them who forming the Anti-Boldon Facebook groups and writing to the newspapers bashing Ato go ahead and flood the IOC with the same complaints. Let's see how that turns out.
I guess Jacques Rogge is just jealous cause he couldn't win a sailing medal in 1976 when Crawfie and Quarrie ruled the roost!

Know this though. When the IOC President talks Mr. Bolt better listen and pick some sense outta nonsense. Better believe that!
Say what you want about the man but the spirit and intent of the Olympic Games backs up his comments, regardless whether some people think his comments are unjustified, ill-timed or unrealistic.
It is not for the IOC President to lower the standards of the Olympic movement to accomodate the whims and fancies of Generation Y.
I doubt Pierre Baron de Coubertin ever wanted Vince McMahon to be IOC President even in 2008.

If you don't agree with that sit down and say de big man talking shit if you feel like. See if he and his IOC miss you, your country or even your region.
I doubt Jack Warner cared when I was cussin he mudder on June 1st when I had to stand up to watch T&T vs England, despite buying my tickets within and hour of them going on sale and arriving at the Stadium 1:30 pm, because everybody with a bogus ticket got in. Even I big enough to know that Jack (ass) wasn't gonna miss me.

And for the record, I think Dan Wetzel did a GREAT job of expressing his opinion on this issue even if I don't agree 100%

Well said.

Wetzel's article was on point not because it criticized the propriety of Rogge's criticism... but because of the inherent hypocrisy in his stance.  There are infinitely bigger fish to fry at these games and he and the committee has taken the coward's route in opting to NOT criticize the tactics being meted out outside the Olympic bubble.  The Chinese people (from all accounts) have been magnaminous as hosts and they don't deserve to have their turn in the spotlight marred... I totally get that.  But whatever momentary bump they get on the pride meter will quickly be negated once bags are packed and the satellite trucks retreat.

Sinned86 don't conflate the issue... it's not about celebrations per se, but the nature and degree.  As I find myself keep saying, it's really not that difficult.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 02:20:20 PM »
I'm not conflating the issue - Ato said you could celebrate how much you want before and after the event and not during. His was during the event. Ato didn't talk about degree and all that in his statement on the Bolt issue.

Anyways I care not enough about this issue to fight on it.

On a funny note, here's Scott Van Pelt (from ESPN sportscenter) on his podcast talking about the issue and trying to do a Jamaican accent! Hilarious.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?context=podcast&id=3546011

(It's at the beginning of the podcast)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:23:28 PM by sinned86 »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2008, 02:28:40 PM »
You know it when you see it - in 1997 no way could that be misconstrued as 'towards' anyone....and like Bolt no one was around at the finish.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2008, 02:29:50 PM »
You know it when you see it - in 1997 no way could that be misconstrued as 'towards' anyone....and like Bolt no one was around at the finish.

Fair enough

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2008, 02:30:50 PM »
look, allyuh face de facts already. the IOC didn't hesitate to hold an olympics in nazi germany. rogge is following a long and established tradition of sports over politics when it comes to the olympics. wetzel should be directing his rant on those olympic committees that refused to boycott if he feel so strongly about it. articles like this show sportswriters get to have their cake and eat it too.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2008, 03:40:21 PM »

Stop it now! Bolt does not have a disrespectful body in his bone in his body.

I stood there and cussed him for like 10m in Lausanne 2006 after he ran a 19.88s PB for third and seemed satisfied. He took it standing there silent and never made a retort.

You have met him as well and know that he is a bit introvert in person and loves clowning around with his friends. The guy is a breath of fresh air.

I dont see why you are painting yourself in a corner her. You perceived the thing one way and voiced an opinion ...FINE and dandy. People who know him better and who you should be able to trust set you straight. I dont see any reason for such a fuss towards you nor do I see any reason for you prolonging this storm in a teacup.

You are one of ours and we treasure that, but you wrong this time. You have build up so much goodwill capital over the years, I and many others dont hold it against you. However, you are making it worse by continuing this much of a muchness.

This is the Caribbean, people are quick to anger and quick to forgiveness. That's how we are. We will not be defined by any stodgy Belgian who cant even control his mafia house of corruption!

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2008, 03:43:16 PM »
look, allyuh face de facts already. the IOC didn't hesitate to hold an olympics in nazi germany. rogge is following a long and established tradition of sports over politics when it comes to the olympics. wetzel should be directing his rant on those olympic committees that refused to boycott if he feel so strongly about it. articles like this show sportswriters get to have their cake and eat it too.

You black people from dem small insignificant islands need to know your place.

That is the message I am getting from the damn IOC.

I was talking with a former ambassador today who voiced the same opinion on Rogge's unfortunate statement.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2008, 03:50:15 PM »

I see you are a respecter of position.

Look at the recent record of the IOC, for example in the article posted above, and tell me what is the great moral soapbox Rogge is standing on!

Who Phelps congratulating? Where is the statement on the wrestler? Wariner steamed off without talking to the press. i could mention countless other examples.

I ask again, WHAT IS THE MOTIVATION FOR THIS MAN TO MAKE A PUBLIC REBUKE OF BOLT IN THE PRESS? What did he hope to achieve?

See a commentator like Ato can state his opinion and I can take it with a grain of salt, but why is Rogge abusing his position.

Be careful, what good for the goose is good for the gander.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 03:54:36 PM »

Nah ribbit, yuh hadda be fair. In 1936 the nazi was just another political party not the state sanctioned murderers of the 40's..and all dem setta "master race" gun talk was globally accepted conventional wisdom at that time
Is jus no political leader ever say it loud and bold so.

Look ah nex fellah lock and load ah journalist bullet for Rogge....but as you mention Nazi..check the Rudolph Hess similarity with the monocle

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4578959.ece

Deluded Jacques Rogge fails to see the champion in Usain Bolt

(Claro Cortes IV/Reuters)
Blind fury: Rogge’s views are stuck in the past
Rick Broadbent in Beijing

If you want to know just how out of touch the IOC is then listen to Jacques Rogge, a deluded individual who is the organisation's president. Commenting on Usain Bolt, the man who is single-handedly dragging athletics' reputation from the gutter back into the mainstream, Rogge was a tad miffed that he had not taken a break from redefining the parameters of physical endeavour to shake hands with his rivals.

"That's not the way we perceive being a champion," Rogge said. "I have no problem with him doing a show but I think he should show more respect for his competitors and shake hands, give a tap on the shoulder to the other ones immediately after the finish and not make gestures like the one he made in the 100 meters."

Which goes to show how little Rogge knows about sport. He might be good at garden parties and probably has impeccable table manners, but he is a lone voice of dissent. Sport is a show and Bolt has become P.T. Barnum. His celebration as he crossed the line in the 100 metres was an indelible Olympic image. For Rogge it lacked the stiff upper lip he would have preferred.

"The way it was perceived was 'catch me if you can'," Rogge continued. "You don't do that. But he'll learn. He's still a young man." Rogge is an old man but will never learn. People love a winner with character and Bolt has it. He danced, he made his signature lightning gesture and he waved his gold shoes around. These have been his Games. Rogge's attitude sums up a myopic approach to sport. He wants it played by some draconian code of ethics instead of enjoying the beautiful drama and mind-boggling entertainment of the moment.
Bolt runs away with his second gold

A gifted few have claimed the sprint double of 100m and 200m, but never before in two world record times

He is also wrong. Bolt is both a generous and magnanimous individual. He is utterly deferent to his coach, Glen Mills, respects his elders and said last night that he had just changed the sport a bit, whereas Michael Johnson had revolutionised it. After another brilliant run here, he stopped in the mixed zone to speak specifically to the British media about Germaine Mason, the high jumper who was born in Kingston, Jamaica, but was draped in a Union Jack after winning a surprise silver medal.

You could draw up a list of things wrong with the Olympics as long as the 10,000 metres. It is a corporate carve-up where Visa is king. There have been several books devoted to corruption within the ranks. And then Bolt comes along with his harpsichord grin, laidback manner and god-given talent. In many way, he is the man who saved the Games, but Rogge is more concerned that he stops when crossing the line at breakneck speed and then waits for his rivals to finish before shaking hands and saying, "Well done,old chap."

Sprinting, the boxing of track and field, has been dominated by a timeline of braggarts and egos. Even here one Briton, Tyrone Edgar, was introduced to the crowd before his race and nodded his head, indulging in the whole "I'm the man" tosh. He wasn't. Bolt is.

With his dancing, his talk of nuggets and his wonderfully lackadaisical manner, Bolt is the best thing that has happened to the Games in decades. All the suspicion and finger-pointing that has plagued the Games have been forgotten, however briefly that may last.

"Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the earth," Dale Arden said in the film Flash Gordon. Bolt says he is not Flash Gordon and, indeed, it has only taken him 9.69sec to save his sport.

Rogge is too consumed by his own importance and a deeply simplistic view of sport to realise all this. As for Bolt, he must feel like shaking his head rather than hands.

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 04:02:39 PM »
Dutty I have read at least 5 columnists saying the same thing!

Rogge is a stodgy old buffoon.

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2008, 04:09:05 PM »

Look at the recent record of the IOC, for example in the article posted above, and tell me what is the great moral soapbox Rogge is standing on!

Who Phelps congratulating? Where is the statement on the wrestler? Wariner steamed off without talking to the press. i could mention countless other examples.

I ask again, WHAT IS THE MOTIVATION FOR THIS MAN TO MAKE A PUBLIC REBUKE OF BOLT IN THE PRESS? What did he hope to achieve?

See a commentator like Ato can state his opinion and I can take it with a grain of salt, but why is Rogge abusing his position.

Willi I think you misinterpreted the forum from which Rogges spoke. I never got the impression that the IOC issued a statement about Usain Bolt on their own initiative.
I could be wrong but I always got the impression that he was responding to specific questions he may have been asked about Usain. If that is the case then you can't really fault him for not commenting on Phelps, the wrestler or Wariner if he wasn't specifically asked about them.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2008, 04:16:50 PM »

Willi I think you misinterpreted the forum from which Rogges spoke. I never got the impression that the IOC issued a statement about Usain Bolt on their own initiative.
I could be wrong but I always got the impression that he was responding to specific questions he may have been asked about Usain. If that is the case then you can't really fault him for not commenting on Phelps, the wrestler or Wariner if he wasn't specifically asked about them.

dais wha I feel happen...he get pin on de one question about one man and media run with it

say wha, is he hadda lie dong in de nest he make
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2008, 04:22:35 PM »

Nah man, he knows whatever he says will be run with. It was around the world in minutes. He is no longer a rookie in the job.

That is now how "we perceive a champion should behave". Who is "we"? He does not respect Caribbean people, that is clear. He needs to "tek weh himself" with that imperialist bullcrap! If he even had a problem, there are other ways and means...like Sparrow said.

He should be asking how come the others didn't come up to Bolt to shake HIS hand, as is normal? That is what happened with VC.

In any case, the fault was in HIS perception, so why transfer that to Bolt. Jamaican track culture does NOT put up with disrespecting the competition. I have seen youngsters ROASTED in the press, by the public and by the JAAA for really dissing others. We know the difference and to suggest otherwise is insulting.

Yes, people can make a perception mistake (it happens to the best of us), but the problem comes in digging in your heels when shown a different and plausible interpretation. Rogge didnt even wait for a different point of view before demonizing the young man. Heck, my wife is American and her initial reaction was disgust from Rogge's outburst.

Notice what BBC TV said about the statement?
BBC said that his statement has everybody perplexed!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2008, 05:32:41 PM »
Nah man, he knows whatever he says will be run with. It was around the world in minutes. He is no longer a rookie in the job.

That is now how "we perceive a champion should behave". Who is "we"? He does not respect Caribbean people, that is clear. He needs to "tek weh himself" with that imperialist bullcrap! If he even had a problem, there are other ways and means...like Sparrow said.

He should be asking how come the others didn't come up to Bolt to shake HIS hand, as is normal? That is what happened with VC.

In any case, the fault was in HIS perception, so why transfer that to Bolt. Jamaican track culture does NOT put up with disrespecting the competition. I have seen youngsters ROASTED in the press, by the public and by the JAAA for really dissing others. We know the difference and to suggest otherwise is insulting.

Yes, people can make a perception mistake (it happens to the best of us), but the problem comes in digging in your heels when shown a different and plausible interpretation. Rogge didnt even wait for a different point of view before demonizing the young man. Heck, my wife is American and her initial reaction was disgust from Rogge's outburst.

Notice what BBC TV said about the statement?
BBC said that his statement has everybody perplexed!

You need to ease off the speculation fella... all this "he doesn't respect Caribbean nations" nonsense.

The greter point, being conveniently ignored by you is that even if we are to allow that Usain Bolt didn't intend to disrespect the competition, he needs to be mindful (or made to be mindful) as to how his actions appear to objective onlookers.  His actions may be seen as disrespecting or violating the spirit of the games.  His actions aren't egregious enough to merit sanction, but he needs to understand the greater perspective still.

Some ah allyuh too busy being aggrieved to take a step back and look at the situation rationally.  Again, I don't personally like this heavy-handed approach, but I understand the central issue, even if I don't like how Rogge dealt with it.  These are separate issues that some of you are dismissing as one.

Offline jw107

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2008, 05:38:36 PM »
As I said before, I am so happy that the vast majority of the world doesn't share the same opinion of a small group of sanctimonious fools. Not just that, it is the manner of their criticism. Don't deride a man you know nothing about on primetime. Did anyone speak to Bolt about that before ? Find out his views? You don't do that to a man. I am totally digusted by this whole thing and then man coming saying they have pride at posting article. Wow. My message to Bolt is to continue doing your thing and celebrate EVEN MORE if you get the chance. The world will love you even more for it. Don't worry with the deluded few.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2008, 05:52:03 PM »
Ah say it before ah goh say it again....if he was from the US dis would have been a non-issue....

I am no athlete, just a spectator looking on in awe at what Usain accomplished.  So I am certianly in no position to comment on whether or not he was being disrespectful.  So through my innocent spectator's eyes, I saw it as a man simply enjoying himself on the world stage....

I remember back in my high school days there was this particular runner who was so friggin fast, that men used to shake in dey running shoes to run in a race with him.  In one particular track meet, he was way ahead, he stopped, called the others to "hurry up, hurry up" and then took off running again and of course finish first by a mile.....the move was the talk of school for days.....and look I still remember that.  To me it was pure entertainment. 
I eh know if it alright to compare a mere school meet to an Olympic event, but isn't the basic tenet supposed to be the same??.....be the best at what you do and try to have fun while you are at it??

That's all Bolt seems to be about having fun.  Maybe we have forgotten that aspect of sports....be in it to win but have fun while you are at it......

Also, that part about him not congratulating his fellow competitiors cyar be right....I saw him congratulate Thompson and they took a picture together.  So what's the issue then, that he didn't do it as soon as the race was over....jeez and ages!!....steups!!

THANK YOU BOLT FOR MAKING THIS OLYMPICS ONE OF THE MOST MEMORABLE IN RECENT HISTORY....and celebrate in any damn fashion yuh want!!....cuz....

Ah love it!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2008, 05:58:50 PM »
As I said before, I am so happy that the vast majority of the world doesn't share the same opinion of a small group of sanctimonious fools. Not just that, it is the manner of their criticism. Don't deride a man you know nothing about on primetime. Did anyone speak to Bolt about that before ? Find out his views? You don't do that to a man. I am totally digusted by this whole thing and then man coming saying they have pride at posting article. Wow. My message to Bolt is to continue doing your thing and celebrate EVEN MORE if you get the chance. The world will love you even more for it. Don't worry with the deluded few.
Before you embark on calling people "fools" and what not... and some how claim to know the mindset of "the vast majority of the world"... it may pay for you to expand your horizons and bit more before the pillar of 'sanctimony' imbue to others fall squarely on your head.  There have been many who have similarly responded on blogs and sundry websites in opposition to the celebration.  No one is attacking Bolt personally, yet apparently the corn has fallen so squarely in your yard that you run like a hungry fowl to devour it.

In the same vein people who are complaining that "had he been American this would not have been an issue", are either being disingenuine, or willfully ignorant of reality... seeing that Americans have been rightly condemned for similar celebrations in the past.

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2008, 06:06:44 PM »
Ah say it before ah goh say it again....if he was from the US dis would have been a non-issue....

I am no athlete, just a spectator looking on in awe at what Usain accomplished.  So I am certianly in no position to comment on whether or not he was being disrespectful.  So through my innocent spectator's eyes, I saw it as a man simply enjoying himself on the world stage....

I remember back in my high school days there was this particular runner who was so friggin fast, that men used to shake in dey running shoes to run in a race with him.  In one particular track meet, he was way ahead, he stopped, called the others to "hurry up, hurry up" and then took off running again and of course finish first by a mile.....the move was the talk of school for days.....and look I still remember that.  To me it was pure entertainment. 
I eh know if it alright to compare a mere school meet to an Olympic event, but isn't the basic tenet supposed to be the same??.....be the best at what you do and try to have fun while you are at it??

That's all Bolt seems to be about having fun.  Maybe we have forgotten that aspect of sports....be in it to win but have fun while you are at it......

Also, that part about him not congratulating his fellow competitiors cyar be right....I saw him congratulate Thompson and they took a picture together.  So what's the issue then, that he didn't do it as soon as the race was over....jeez and ages!!....steups!!

THANK YOU BOLT FOR MAKING THIS OLYMPICS ONE OF THE MOST MEMORABLE IN RECENT HISTORY....and celebrate in any damn fashion yuh want!!....cuz....

Ah love it!!

Brown Sugar...I'd like to ask you something just out of curiousity. What was the reaction of the adults who witnessed that event? Teachers, coaches, parents, etc. What was their take on what that young man did?

1]; } ?>