May 07, 2024, 03:56:02 PM

Author Topic: Kevin Jeffrey Thread  (Read 21552 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kevin Jeffrey signs with the Carolina Railhawks
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2007, 01:54:14 PM »
RailHawks Add Three More to the Roster
carolinarailhawks.com

N.C. State’s Fusilier, USL Veterans Low and Jeffrey sign contracts

The Carolina RailHawks announced three more players have been added to their Roster. They include Midfielders Santiago Fusilier and Kupono Low, and Forward Kevin Jeffrey from Trinidad.

A USL Rookie, Santiago Fusilier is a graduate of N.C. State University where he played as a strong central midfielder. He was recognized by the ACC as one of the top freshmen of the year in 2003 and in his senior year he started all 16 games he played scoring 1 game winning goal and 1 assist. He is a native of Buenos Aires, Argentina.

“RailHawks assistant coach Damon Nahas and I coached Santiago in the PDL,” RailHawks Head Coach Scott Schweitzer said.  “He has a unique ability to run out players and he will definitely put some fear in the hearts of some defenders when running towards them. He will definitely make an impact in his Rookie year.”

Midfielder Kupono Low spent last season with the recently disbanded Virginia Beach Mariners. He played 27 games and was ranked 4th in played minutes. In 2005 he was RailHawks Goalkeeper John O’Hara’s teammate in Ireland with the Sligo Rovers where he helped the team claim their division 1 title with 3 goals scored.

“I played with Kupono a couple of years ago in Syracuse,” Scott said.  “The first time I saw him I thought he was one of the top talent in the United States. When the chance came to get him we went after him hard and are very excited to have him. He will solidify the midfield and make us that much better of a team.”

Kevin Jeffrey comes to the RailHawks from the USL division 1 Toronto Lynx. Prior to the Lynx, Kevin spent five seasons with the Richmond Kickers and one with the San Francisco Bay Seals. In his six years in the USL’s First Division Kevin has scored 61 goals with 33 Assists for a total of 155 points. A strong forward Kevin was born in Trincity in Trinidad & Tobago.

“Kevin is a veteran who played for many teams in the League,” Coach Schweitzer said.  “He plays well up top and has good skills. He’s another good veteran that will help us learn to be winners.”

The RailHawks will begin their Inaugural Season on April 21st at 7:30pm against the Minnesota Thunder at SAS Soccer Park in Cary, NC.

The Carolina RailHawks are a United Soccer League expansion team that will enter the USL First Division in April 2007. The squad will play 14 regular season home games and four additional home playoff and exhibition games each year, with all home games played at SAS Soccer Park in Cary, N.C. Under Rochester Rhinos co-owner and USL Hall of Fame inductee Chris Economides, the RailHawks organization was formed in October 2005 and awarded the USL franchise in January 2006.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Celebrating Black History Month: Kevin Jeffrey, the Trinidadian talisman
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2021, 11:51:41 AM »
Celebrating Black History Month: Kevin Jeffrey, the Trinidadian talisman
By Oliver Mendoza (richmondkickers.com)

In honor of Black History Month, the Richmond Kickers are excited to celebrate Black club icons. In this edition, we take an in-depth look at Kevin Jeffrey and the impact he had on the Kickers, his time in Richmond, and reflecting on the challenges Black players face in the game.

Kevin Jeffrey was born in 1974 in Trinidad and Tobago, the Caribbean nation that produced Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy. Jeffrey admired Diego Maradona and would begin his collegiate career playing with that same winners-mentality with the Yavapai College Roughriders, where he led the team to a championship in 1997. The very same year he was awarded the NJCAA Player of the Year.

From 1998-99, Jeffrey played for the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Rams, where he was named to the first-team All-Colonial Athletic Association team both years and won Virginia State Player of the Year in 1999.

From the start of his collegiate career, fans and viewers alike could tell that Kevin Jeffrey was a striking force to be reckoned with, tallying 29 goals and 7 assists in 38 games for the Rams. He held the school record for most goals in a season with 18. Jeffrey quickly made his mark in Virginia soccer, before heading back to Trinidad and Tobago to kickstart his professional career with San Juan Jabloteh F.C. and soon after was the first overall pick in the 2000 A-League Draft by the San Francisco Bay Seals where he scored 12 goals and 3 assists as a rookie.

Then 2001 came around, the Richmond Kickers signed Kevin Jeffrey, and the rest is prolific goal-scoring history. Jeffrey said he still feels a connection to Richmond.

“I spent five years with the Kickers and two years at VCU, so most of my U.S. life was spent in Richmond,” Jeffrey said. “So Richmond holds a special place in my heart, and obviously, the Kickers is a very special team to me. Being a part of the Richmond Kickers, I always felt, basically, just like the other guys.”

In his first season with the club, Jeffrey led the team with 20 goals and 10 assists in 33 appearances -- a goal contribution every 82.7 minutes. Needless to say, the Trinidadian talisman was a huge influence on the team going forward as the Richmond Kickers were at the top of the group in their conference and led the A-League in points as well.

From 2002-2005, Kevin Jeffrey would go on to average 9 goals and 6 assists a season and be the goal-scoring and assists leader for the Kickers in 2003 with 10 goals and 9 assists. Jeffrey was also the Richmond Kickers Players' Choice MVP in 2001 and 2003 and made his international debut with Trinidad & Tobago in 2003 in a friendly match against Cuba. A few years later in 2005, he helped the Kickers reach the USL Championship finals against the Seattle Sounders.

Riding off of a successful stretch with the Richmond Kickers, playing under Head Coach Leigh Cowlishaw and alongside club legends such as Rob Ukrop and Ronnie Pascale, Jeffrey would be regarded as, “by far Richmond’s most dangerous player,” during his stint with the Kickers, and would knock in a grand total of 47 goals and 29 assists in all competitions. After a meteoric four-year run, Jeffrey parted ways with the Richmond Kickers following that 2005 championship appearance.

Jeffrey shed light on how he dealt with some racial abuse in his playing history and said he believes turning the other cheek, and non-violence was his way of dealing with it.

“I am comforted in the fact that you might hit me up with a racial slur, but somewhere along the lines of life, right, that will come back to you,” Jeffrey said, “The race thing is really about how you're educated. And I'm not talking about, you know, university and college and high school and stuff. It’s what you got from home, and I'm saying, how you're raised is your foundation in life.”

Jeffrey’s pragmatic outlook on racial abuse in the sport highlighted the importance of embracing like-minded individuals and coming together as a team regardless of background.

“Whether you're white, you're Black, Asian, or Hispanic, it’s either you’re a good person, or you're a bad person,” Jeffrey said, “And I always try to connect with people who are on the more positive side of life. I don't look at a person's ethnicity or their race.”

Jeffrey said that though he feels sports transcend ethnicity he feels what is important is seeing minorities in higher positions. “Minority individuals find it hard to hold high places in sports, still, for the most part. And I would like to see that change,” Jeffrey said.

Jeffrey would play two more professional seasons before hanging up his boots in 2007, and he reflected positively on his eight seasons as a pro.

“Obviously football is life, and a lot of stuff that you do within a football group, it's a microorganism of life, when you're part of a soccer team,” Jeffrey said. “I've been fortunate actually to be part of some teams here in the US that have been very, very open to diversity.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Jeffrey Thread
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2023, 03:20:02 PM »
Kevin Jeffrey has been inducted into the Yavapai College Athletics Hall of Fame Class of 2023 as an individual as well as a member of the 1997 Yavapai College men's soccer team.

Jeffrey scored, at that time, a team record 31 goals for Yavapai College in 1997 and captained the unbeaten Roughriders to the NJCAA National Championship.  In the same season, he was named to the All-America Team and the NJCAA All-Tournament Team, and was also named as the 1997 NSCAA National Junior College Player of the Year.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Jeffrey Thread
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2023, 05:06:52 PM »
Congrats to Kevin Jeffery.

1]; } ?>