May 22, 2024, 11:12:32 AM

Author Topic: UEFA Cup final: Rangers v Zenit St. Petersburgh  (Read 8951 times)

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: UEFA Cup final: Rangers v Zenit St. Petersburgh
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 02:41:55 PM »
I at work so couldn't see the game. How was Arshavin? .. he's been linked to Arsenal before

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 02:42:35 PM »
Like Rangers and dem Scottish not racist!!!! Dem does pelt banana at Black players taking corner and all kind of thing,  Ask any player who play there.

On the football side of things, I glad no ass Rangers loss wid dat shit they play all Tournament
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 02:43:05 PM »
I at work so couldn't see the game. How was Arshavin? .. he's been linked to Arsenal before

Ars shavin?

he is a bodybuilder?

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 02:44:41 PM »

He was very good... i have always been a fan.... his assist for the first girl was very sweet... I have to agree he looks like an Arsenal type player though...similar to Hleb

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 03:23:49 PM »
Like Rangers and dem Scottish not racist!!!! Dem does pelt banana at Black players taking corner and all kind of thing,  Ask any player who play there.

Well at least Rangers have the balls to give a black man a contract...but big up yuh squad if yuh want.

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 03:29:31 PM »
Big Melee: Rangers fans apparently clashed with riot police  in the city centre...apparently one of the big screens failed  ::) . cardinal sin number 1 for an event organiser

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7401814.stm
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 03:39:49 PM by FLi ! »
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 03:48:59 PM »
Big Melee: Rangers fans apparently clashed with riot police  in the city centre...apparently one of the big screens failed  ::) . cardinal sin number 1 for an event organiser

The news account paints a different picture

Police said the trouble has been very minor and only involved a handful of people.

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 03:54:15 PM »
I was watching the live broadcasts from the reporter on the scene with the riot police, and which showed earlier footage of RIOTING but seeing as though what I'm viewing is not necessarily accessible to all on the forum, thought it would be a nice gesture to post some sort of source where intiial reports could be viewed; the only such source was the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7401188.stm

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2008, 03:55:15 PM »
given the desire to avoid repercussions, i wouldnt be surprised if bbc gives a watered down version of the events.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2008, 04:32:12 PM »
I was watching the live broadcasts from the reporter on the scene with the riot police, and which showed earlier footage of RIOTING but seeing as though what I'm viewing is not necessarily accessible to all on the forum, thought it would be a nice gesture to post some sort of source where intiial reports could be viewed; the only such source was the BBC

I always prefer to get (and give) a source reference as well...in this case the source you cited contradicted your account.  Probably would have helped if you'd provided context for the discrepancy as you have here, by saying the rioting was broadcast on TV.  Appreciate the clarification all the same...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:35:39 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2008, 05:08:41 PM »
SPL Hindered Us

From Andrew Dickson in Manchester

CARLOS CUELLAR says the SPL's failure to give Rangers more time to prepare for the UEFA Cup final played a major part in their loss to Zenit St Petersburg.

The Light Blues asked for last Saturday's league meeting with Dundee United to be postponed so that they had a week to get ready for the match in Manchester.

But their request was turned down and they had just four days to rest and recover between their 3-1 win and the clash with Dick Advocaat's men.

Carlos CuellarIn contrast, tonight's victors had 13 full days between matches and the fact they were far fresher than Gers contributed to their 2-0 success.

Cuellar, who was outstanding in defence once more, said: "We have had too many games in such a short space of time and it is crazy.

"Today we had a very good chance to win a European trophy but the SPL did not want to help us.

"I don't understand why that was and if we had not played Dundee United on Saturday, I think we would have looked more comfortable.

"We would have had more recovery time for this match and I think we would have been able to create more chances when we attacked.

"We would have been able to come forward a little faster but as it was, I think we looked a little tired going upfield and we didn't have a lot of opportunities to score.

"This season, I think I have played 62 games and in Spain, I would maybe play 38 or 40 times in a year.

"All we needed was the SPL to help us make history by extending the season by one week only but I don't know why they didn't want to help us win this trophy."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2008, 10:02:37 PM »
Since dey get rid of Alex I eh into Rangers then d jokey replacement ged rid of Marvin so salt 4 dem
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2008, 01:26:10 AM »

I always prefer to get (and give) a source reference as well...in this case the source you cited contradicted your account.  Probably would have helped if you'd provided context for the discrepancy as you have here, by saying the rioting was broadcast on TV.  Appreciate the clarification all the same...

I can't see how Fli's source is contradictory...he said they rioted, which is pretty much what happened. Both his sources say that too, and its all over the press here this morning.

Noone hurt though

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2008, 02:30:01 AM »
was just watching it ths morning some nice battles.......................police not losing though they dressed for business !
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2008, 02:37:14 AM »

a russian man get stab.....not life threatening though

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2008, 03:27:21 AM »
I can't see how Fli's source is contradictory...he said they rioted, which is pretty much what happened. Both his sources say that too, and its all over the press here this morning.

Noone hurt though

Do you really suppose that nine hours later you read the same information on the website that I did when I posted...or is there a chance that the content may have been updated in the interim?

Before you answer consider the quote in my original post...and see if you can find it anywhere in the accounts that you read.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 03:32:58 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2008, 03:53:54 AM »
To Ryan's defence, I knew as you admit to knowing as well, that these websites update themselves as more information comes their way, which was why i posted that specific link which seemed to be the only website to mention the incident. 

I was viewing the most up to date information on the television and decided to share.

Didn't expect my account to be so swiftly challenged though

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2008, 04:09:34 AM »
ouch  >:(

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2008, 05:44:19 AM »
I hope they "neuter" him before he reproduces  :devil:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:59:07 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2008, 06:25:08 AM »

i hope yuh talking about the baldhead man and not d dog.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2008, 06:45:29 AM »

i hope yuh talking about the baldhead man and not d dog.
of course ;D ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2008, 10:23:10 AM »
To Ryan's defence, I knew as you admit to knowing as well, that these websites update themselves as more information comes their way, which was why i posted that specific link which seemed to be the only website to mention the incident. 

I was viewing the most up to date information on the television and decided to share.

It's unfortunate that that's how you took it...

I was in disbelief that a non-functional scoreboard could spark actual rioting in England, so I checked the link for confirmation and found that the account differed, I simply wanted clarification.  I checked Skysports' site and couldn't find any info, nor did I find any other source to corroborate the story about the rioting...at which time I brought it to your attention that the information didn't match.  I don't frequent the BBC's site...so no, unlike you I didn't expect that there would be such a discrepancy in reports, only to be later updated.  I primarily frequent the nytimes.com site, which not only tells you when the story was updated (eg. "updated 8 mins ago").  Not only that but they'll let readers know of any discrepancy with earlier reports.

To say that I "challenged" your report is....being touchy, to put it mildly.

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2008, 10:27:30 AM »

It's unfortunate that that's how you took it...

I was in disbelief that a non-functional scoreboard could spark actual rioting in England,

Taking into consideration the history of Rangers fans, bearing in mind more than 100,000 Rangers fans had descended upon Manchester, 3/4 of whom had no tickets, many of whom had paid 3000-4000 pounds to be present and  comprising a sizable majority who had been drinking for 7 hours prior to kick off, I find your statement rather naive.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2008, 10:37:03 AM »
when I left for work at 7:30 in the morning, they had a report from Manchester centre on TV and dem fellas was drinking already !    :o   

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2008, 11:31:27 AM »
Taking into consideration the history of Rangers fans, bearing in mind more than 100,000 Rangers fans had descended upon Manchester, 3/4 of whom had no tickets, many of whom had paid 3000-4000 pounds to be present and  comprising a sizable majority who had been drinking for 7 hours prior to kick off, I find your statement rather naive.

75,000 Rangers fans without tickets...

Many of whom paid £3,000- £4,000 to be present...

A sizeable majority of which had been drinking for upwards of 7 hours...

Exactly how the f**k am I supposed to know any of this prior to the reports coming out?

Call it naive or whatever else you want...while you figure out some way to justify your overreaction to a simple question.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:33:08 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2008, 12:00:45 PM »

well that information you quote was all very clear in the initial report that I posted  on which you were able to make the statement that you 'were in disbelief that a non-functional scoreboard could spark actual rioting in England'

I think the point is less MY 'overreaction' and more your overly fastidious nature.

Other forumites would have embraced the fact that I was providing timely information, rather than trying to find some sort of inconsistency or contradiction between what I was saying and the initial source that I quoted.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2008, 12:27:17 PM »

well that information you quote was all very clear in the initial report that I posted  on which you were able to make the statement that you 'were in disbelief that a non-functional scoreboard could spark actual rioting in England'

I think the point is less MY 'overreaction' and more your overly fastidious nature.

Other forumites would have embraced the fact that I was providing timely information, rather than trying to find some sort of inconsistency or contradiction between what I was saying and the initial source that I quoted.

Fella...I read "Big melee....rioting... one ah de big screen failed"....in yuh post.  Or words to the effect.

I say "nah, you serious??  Lemmih go check dat out"

I den see police say it was ah minor thing...and posted that "de reports saying something different?"

You say I being 'overly fastidious'...and looking to find inconsistency and contradiction.  Like I siddung dey and say "okay game done, lemme go see what inconsistency and contradiction I could find on de board dis evening".

Fli boss...if dat make any kinda sense to you then more power yes fella. 

I overs dis.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 12:31:25 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2008, 02:57:24 PM »
rangers is shit
dey fans is shit

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2008, 03:21:58 PM »
That final should have been played at Old Trafford. It would have been able to accommodate all those Rangers fans.  This is like a "home game" for the Scots.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2008, 02:36:54 AM »
Shame about all the trouble, because the Rangers and Zenit fans in the stadium were excellent.  :beermug:

Well, except for the mini pitch invasion. But otherwise, fantastic.

Denis Law with the UEFA Cup

1]; } ?>