May 07, 2024, 11:03:52 AM

Author Topic: Avery returns to USL-1  (Read 1852 times)

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Avery returns to USL-1
« on: May 01, 2008, 04:32:46 PM »
John returns to USL-1 in Miami
T&T international joins Blues after four years in MLS

Miami FC Blues News Release - www.miamifc.com
Thursday, May 1, 2008

MIAMI, FL -- Miami FC officially welcomed today three new players to its roster for the remainder of the 2008 season. The signings included two defenders and a goalkeeper; likely to strengthen the team’s defense debilitated by recent injuries.

“I am still looking to have between 24 to 26 players signed however I will continue to exercise patience in holding out to make sure that we only accept the highest caliber of player to represent this organization,” Miami FC head coach Zinho said after the announcement.

John spent the last four years in New Enland (mlsnet.com)Perhaps the most significant signing of the trio is defender Avery John, the Trinidad and Tobago National who spent the last four years playing for the New England Revolution of MLS. He was also a central part of the 2006 Trinidad and Tobago World Cup Defense which earned international respect after holding Sweden to a 0-0 draw.

After a decorated college career at the American University in Washington D.C. the 32-year-old Point-Fortin native began his professional career in 1999 playing for the Boston Bulldogs, formerly of the American A-League (now known as USL-1) under head coach Steve Nicol, who coincidently later went on to be Avery’s head coach with the New England Revolution.

“I’ve played with a couple of teams in the USL-1 (formerly the American A-League) and I am aware of the level of talent that exists in the league,” Avery said during a recent phone call as he was packing for Miami. “I’m looking forward to the opportunity to play in Miami and contribute as soon as possible. This is all about winning a championship for me.”

Making his debut at right-back this past weekend in Puerto Rico sporting the number 2 jersey was new signing Eddie “Moto” Gutierrez, who comes by way of the Fresno Fuego of the Premier Development League.

Gutierrez certainly appeared to earn the respect of the Miami FC coaching staff after playing a full 180 minutes in two games in his debut in Puerto Rico. “Eddie demonstrated an excellent strategic knowledge of the game, and knows how to play his position well,” remarked Zinho. “In my mind, his debut was definitely one of the highlights of this past series in Puerto Rico.”

Also, signed as a backup goalkeeper to Josh Saunders this season is Sam Reynolds, the son of MLS’s Chicago Fire assistant coach Craig Reynolds. LikeSaunders, Reynolds is also a California native.

Reynolds has played in matches for Toronto FC and Chivas USA of MLS, as well as a stint with the Portland Timbers of USL-1 back in 2005. He earned honorable mention All-Big West Conference honors during his college career at Cal State Fullerton, and posted outstanding numbers at Davis High under Coach Ashley Yudin by allowing only 7 goals in a combined 30 matches.

“It is a privilege to play under a guy like Zinho, and to be able to work with goalkeeper coach Ricardo Lopes,” said Reynolds. “I really owe a lot respect and appreciation to my high school coach Ashley Yudin, and U.S. National Team goalie coach Zach Abdel, and my parents because they have given me the tools that I feel are necessary to come in and make an impact here in Miami.”

Miami FC returns home to Tropical Park Stadium on Sunday, May 4th to take on the Carolina Railhawks (1-0-1) at 6:00pm. Festivities are set to begin at 5:00pm for the official “Cinco de Mayo” celebrations, with live music and giveaways. Tickets are available through www.Ticketmaster.com or by calling 1-800-57-MIAMI. Miami FC games can be watched live at www.usllive.com.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Avery returns to USL-1
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:42:06 PM »
Nice. Now ah finally have ah reason to go and watch Miami FC play. Dey home ground is less dan 15 mins from me, so ah good tuh go, once dey games doh clash wit meh Sunday sweat  ;D. Ah hope he get tuh play and dey doh have him riding pine.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 04:45:05 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 05:03:57 PM »
Ah hope he get tuh play and dey doh have him riding pine.

Dat would be largely up to him no?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 05:39:54 PM »

Yes and no. Sometimes I couldn't figure out why he was benching at de Revolution when he was playing well. We never privy to all de reasons a coach would have for choosing a particular squad on game day, but at de Revs it was baffling at times.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 06:13:28 PM »

he was not an american nor a marquee foreign player. it had nothing to do with his game.
real garbage

Yes and no. Sometimes I couldn't figure out why he was benching at de Revolution when he was playing well. We never privy to all de reasons a coach would have for choosing a particular squad on game day, but at de Revs it was baffling at times.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 08:40:19 PM »
Good 4 him
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 10:50:35 AM »
Good Good... He is still very important to our campaign...

Offline ZionYouth

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 11:26:24 AM »
How good is miami fc? ah doh know much about dem....

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 03:25:24 PM »
How good is miami fc? ah doh know much about dem....

Think of them as a USL version of the LA Galaxy. They made a splash a couple of years ago by signing Romario but they didn't have that much impact on the field.

They only been around 2 seasons now

Anyway, good to see the "Blade" sharpening. Keep them under heavy manners dread. :beermug:

Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>