May 16, 2024, 04:02:54 PM

Author Topic: T&T U-17 sent packing.  (Read 5093 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T U-17 sent packing.
« on: April 24, 2009, 05:55:32 PM »
Costa Rica eliminates T&T U-17s.
By: Ivan Orozco (CONCACAF.COM).

TIJUANA, Mexico –Costa Rica moved closer to a berth in the semifinals of the CONCACAF Under-17 Championship with a 3-0 win Friday against Trinidad and Tobago.

Joel Campbell scored his second goal of the tournament, Rosbin Mayorga and Juan Bustos added a goal each in the first half to help the Ticos to four points in the Group B standings.

Costa Rica faces Mexico Sunday to close out group play in a quest to earn a trip to the World Cup in Nigeria in October.

Trinidad and Tobago, which lost to Mexico 7-0 Wednesday, was eliminated with the result and reduced to the role of spoiler Sunday when it takes on Guatemala.

The Ticos dominated possession in the opening half with a one-touch scheme, often catching Trinidad and Tobago’s defense flat.

Costa Rica capitalized In the 14th minute when Campbell sent a right-footed shot past Trinidad goalkeeper John Thomas from 30 yards.

Costa Rica also scored from close range.

Bustos sent a loose ball into the net in the 18th minute from near the penalty spot after a Trinidad and Tobago defender botched a clearance attempt.

Mayorga’s goal also was from inside the area, tapping in a filtered ball from Bustos in the 37th started with a rolling ball from Cambpell.

Trinidad pressured Costa Rica on several occasions in the second half but couldn’t convert.

Trinidad’s clearest opportunity came in the 57th minute when Ryan McLeod deflected a Dillon Kirton corner kick, heading it over the cross bar.

Coach Anton Corneal’s team had eight shots in the second half compared to Costa Rica’s six but the Ticos were too much in the opening half where they out-shot their opponent 10-3.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:14:54 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: T&T U-17 sent packing.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 05:58:52 PM »
arm.............
I wonder if we could play the second half of our matches first

we ALWAYS do much better in the second half of most of our matches.........well except against elsal ;D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:15:02 PM by Flex »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 06:05:20 PM »
From the report, defintiely an improved performance...in the 2nd half at least.  We probably played more to our potential in the 2nd half.  Starting games has traditionally been the bugbear of our national teams no matter the level.  It was somewhat arrested during Germany 2006 due to an ultra defensive and disciplined scheme which shows we have the ability to play that way. 

I guess those of us (me included) who thought our display in Germany, while credible, was one shorn of any invention & creativity might now appreciate the need for the tactics and system displayed then.  In short, yuh need to learn to creep before yuh could walk.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:15:09 PM by Flex »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 06:12:50 PM »
From the report, defintiely an improved performance...in the 2nd half at least.  We probably played more to our potential in the 2nd half.  Starting games has traditionally been the bugbear of our national teams no matter the level.  It was somewhat arrested during Germany 2006 due to an ultra defensive and disciplined scheme which shows we have the ability to play that way. 

I guess those of us (me included) who thought our display in Germany, while credible, was one shorn of any invention & creativity might now appreciate the need for the tactics and system displayed then.  In short, yuh need to learn to creep before yuh could walk.

Didn't see the game but I wouldn't be surprised if Costa Rica their foot off the gas in the 2nd.  

Typical for stronger teams to take an early lead, then the weaker trailing team look much improved after- doesn't say much when you start playing well after being dead & buried because alot of the time it's a result of the leading team gearing down (physically & mentally).  

But with two games played,  0 scored & 10 conceded... I guess yuh have tuh search for the positives wherever you can...  :-\
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:15:26 PM by Flex »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:18:05 PM »

Well said fraid 2 cosign I might get lock up 4 Fraud
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 06:29:57 PM »
And we still have Guatemala or somebody? Boys go out and drop 10 on them for spite. Bad mind thing now.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 06:44:04 PM »

If u eh get lock up by now...yuh safe.  ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 06:50:27 PM »

If u eh get lock up by now...yuh safe.  ;D

Cosign  :rotfl: :rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 07:33:22 PM »
ask cornbread if he want to coach the next u17 team for the next u17 world cup.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 07:35:45 PM »
ask cornbread if he want to coach the next u17 team for the next u17 world cup.

Of course d next and d next and d next

Online Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 08:09:35 PM »
two soft goals

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/n3aPF8gEROE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/n3aPF8gEROE</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/h4Ho4bz2l_Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/h4Ho4bz2l_Y</a>
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:34:21 PM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 08:57:17 PM »
We were the better team prior to the first goal.  First goal actually came against the run of play.  That said....QUE GOLASO!  Wicked shot!  No chance fuh we keeper.

From what I've seen, we played with plenty heart and determination.  Some of our players have "touches".  We weren't physically weaker or slower than the opposition.  But we lacked composure.  In some instances, we were frankly WILD.  There are tools there to work with.  Just time and investment needed.  I liked 19, 12, & 10 in particular.  11 is not a bad player.  Although 6 was at fault for the comical 2nd goal, he fought hard whole game.

Our defence was really woeful though.  They sliced through us very easily on a counter attack for the 3rd goal.  Walked the ball into the net.  We were disorganized, had little discipline in the backline, and were often outnumbered when they attacked.  We don't play compactly at all which affords us little opportunity to play any kind of possession game.  We appear to try and play it long hoping for the individual skill and speed of our forwards to force a mistake rather than relying on controlled and structured build up play.

I don't think the scoreline reflected accurately the run of play.  We were more than in the game.  We also failed to finish a few chances...again through lack of composure.

Thanks triniman for posting the clips  :beermug:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:27:33 PM by palos »

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
ummmm Palos ...de 2nd half is not a true representation..yuh too optimistic de Ticos were already up 3 so their foot was literally off de pedal

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 10:10:39 PM »
ummmm Palos ...de 2nd half is not a true representation..yuh too optimistic de Ticos were already up 3 so their foot was literally off de pedal

De comments I made included my observations of the 1st half as well.  Call me optimistic but there is good material there to work with.  Our coaching/es need to work very hard on defensive organization and structure or else we'll continue to see more of these kind of results.

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 10:11:02 PM »
Once again, the individual dribbling skills of our players' were exceptional, but its the rest of football that makes up 80% of the game, that we don't put focus on, that let us down.

2 things that stood out the most was that that boys were letting the ball bounce in front of the very frequently, you never do that, but we do that all the time, when I go by the field to play I see fellas who pass through so many coaches, but still constantly let the ball bounce infront of them. The reason for the is the 2nd thing that stood out- ball control.

They let the ball bounce infront of them because they don't have full confidence in their ability to kill the ball with one touch, and not divert it to the opposition, almost afraid of trapping a fast or awkward ball. I only watched the 2nd half, but many promising plays were killed by giving the ball away through lack of ball control. Sometimes they trapped the ball good, but again, football is consistency. Also passing and crossing accuracy and consistency wasn't what it should be, it was in real contrast to the Costa Ricans.

Don't think I'm being overly critical, just that I'm a perfectionist(has its downsides) & I can't help but point out the things that need major improving. I see plenty potential in those youths, really, I can really see them learning those things with some good coaching, but that's the problem there, will they get the coaching they need to lift the fundamental aspects of their game? Overall, the team played decently enough, but even if you can dribble like Messi it means nothing if you never have to ball to dribble with, because the players are lacking in the fundamentals that result in team ball possession.  One nice positive though was that I saw less boom-kick defense than I see in the senior team.

We had plenty chances on goal, which was a result of our players' excellent dribbling ability, but players were too hesitant to shoot when space opened up, players were also taking too many touches and passes in the box(even Arsenal pay for this, and their players are incomparably better than our players based on our hugely sub-par development systems) , when there was chances for shots, and so many chances dried up like that.

Overall, congrats to the boys, you all played with heart, you all should be proud of the work put in, though know that if you really want to make it as a footballer, and break the trend in this country of talent never being fully fulfilled, if you're not satisfied with at best playing in the TT Pro League your whole life(though huge props to this league for service to our football), know that you have to train tirelessly and unrelentingly on the fundamentals of the game- one touch killing of the ball control, accurate & consistent passing and crossing and heading, running off ball into passing lanes, otherwise you will never make it in a top league in Europe realistically, no matter how well you can dribble- they WILL NOT CARE, know that. You see it all the time in the top leagues in Europe- players just fantastic at dribbling but are constantly left on the bench- because they aren't as solid in the fundamentals of the game as other players, and most of the are still much better at the fundamentals than most of our players. I say all this out of genuine love and the desire to see the a stop to the vast majority of our over-abundance of talented players just never really achieving in their careers, and seeing dreams being smashed.

Once again, dribbling skills mean next to nothing to football and European clubs specifically, unless you are exceptional or very solid at the fundamentals of football (prob more than 80% of the game). Even if you happen to get through to a decent club without this, you'll burn a hole through the bench from warming it, and you'll soon be let so and spiral down the leagues to lower and lower clubs, you see it all the time.

Take care everyone.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 10:14:28 PM »
Palos ah watching yuh kinda slight now.

Yeah we were doing pretty well until the 1st goal. We were taking the game to them, but in doing so we neglected the midfield, which from what I saw we really did not try to address. Everything was hit long. Also, in taking the game to them the defense was not connected to the midfield. The defense sat off from the midfield some what giving too much room to the Costa Rican as shown by the first goal. When the defense is that disconnected from the rest of the team you invite shots like the first goal, which even if the goal did not score would have had us in a bind.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Peter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 10:32:47 PM »
Palos ah watching yuh kinda slight now.

Yeah we were doing pretty well until the 1st goal. We were taking the game to them, but in doing so we neglected the midfield, which from what I saw we really did not try to address. Everything was hit long. Also, in taking the game to them the defense was not connected to the midfield. The defense sat off from the midfield some what giving too much room to the Costa Rican as shown by the first goal. When the defense is that disconnected from the rest of the team you invite shots like the first goal, which even if the goal did not score would have had us in a bind.

Yeah I agree with you, too much nervous inaccurate long balls, also long balls were constantly being played not into areas with space, but areas with plenty opposing players, so together with them being inaccurate, lacking consistent first touch from players, and space being occupied by Costa Ricans where the balls were played, they all came together for the opposition to get back the ball easily. Typical Trindad- we were nervous to play the ball from defense to attack, through midfield, because our players are not assured in their ability to pass accurately, to interchange the ball from defense to attack without losing it, so we take the easiest option- hopeful( more like hopeless) long balls. Its the lack of proper training in the fundamentals that consistently kills us. Even big blasted hard back men on the National Senior Team can't string a few passes together.

Our trademarked-Trinidadian haphazard system(so for everything here) has failed to properly prepare and develop the tremendous number of talented players we've had through the years. Turning out players solid on the fundamentals shouldn't be the exception, it should be the norm. The exception should be turning out players with Latapy like flair, and given the exceptional talents most of our players have for dribbling, we would actually turn out much more of those exceptional players than most other much bigger countries, with a football development system that goes against the haphazard norm of every system in this country.

I believe we can do it though, I have hope, but it will take tremendous work and new leaders to rise up. I'm a realist and an optimist.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 11:24:25 PM »
We don't play compactly at all which affords us little opportunity to play any kind of possession game.  We appear to try and play it long hoping for the individual skill and speed of our forwards to force a mistake rather than relying on controlled and structured build up play.

There isn't a coach in the country who understands this, believes in it or has the ability to get enough people to buy into it to make a different in our sport. As you said, the important thing is individual skill and we hope we have enough of it on the field (or the opposition is too inept to deal with it) for success.

I basically agree with your assessment, but I did not watch the full 90 minutes.

Online Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 05:12:03 AM »
Question was  that costa rican goalkeeper  suppose to get a red card ? i remember when willimas held the ball outside the box   he got a straight red from the ref! it was the  w conncetion vs chivas game
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 07:46:44 AM »
i once heard somebody say if wishes were horses fools would ride, well let me indulge myself for a second.
if jackula and the ttff imps didn't rob this u17 football team of the experience and exposure of playing more world class friendlies, something that is woefully lacking in their arsenal, they would beat people. if this u17 team had a better head coach, somebody who is not tactically and technically feeble like cornbread, this u17 team would beat people. if this u17 team was a little stronger they would beat people. with that being said, i could only come to one conclusion after watching the second half of the costa rica game, this is a very talented u17 team with one exception #3 Omarr Charles. he needs some more work.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 07:47:20 AM »
We mush have a better keeper than John Thomas somewhere in T&T yo. ?

This man not commanding at all.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 08:20:39 AM »
We were the better team prior to the first goal.  First goal actually came against the run of play.  That said....QUE GOLASO!  Wicked shot!  No chance fuh we keeper.

From what I've seen, we played with plenty heart and determination.  Some of our players have "touches".  We weren't physically weaker or slower than the opposition.  But we lacked composure.  In some instances, we were frankly WILD.  There are tools there to work with.  Just time and investment needed.  I liked 19, 12, & 10 in particular.  11 is not a bad player.  Although 6 was at fault for the comical 2nd goal, he fought hard whole game.

Our defence was really woeful though.  They sliced through us very easily on a counter attack for the 3rd goal.  Walked the ball into the net.  We were disorganized, had little discipline in the backline, and were often outnumbered when they attacked.  We don't play compactly at all which affords us little opportunity to play any kind of possession game.  We appear to try and play it long hoping for the individual skill and speed of our forwards to force a mistake rather than relying on controlled and structured build up play.

I don't think the scoreline reflected accurately the run of play.  We were more than in the game.  We also failed to finish a few chances...again through lack of composure.

Yes Palos you and Elan sum that up very nicely. Technique can be taught but composure under pressure is more difficult, it generally has to be learned. Only 2 leagues in T&T could force our players to do that.

And I am glad I'm not the only one that could see that these guys minus the defence are potentially BETTER than the last bunch. Shaddon Winchester has vision and was one of the few players that could run through opposing players and make incisive passes.  A couple other midfielders were able to contain some Mex and CR players well before they reach into the last 1/3. All in all better than Korea IMO. The real weak spot was that starstruck defence. Them boys taking after Akilie and Kern Cupid 
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 08:41:32 AM »

Yes Palos you and Elan sum that up very nicely. Technique can be taught but composure under pressure is more difficult, it generally has to be learned. Only 2 leagues in T&T could force our players to do that.

And I am glad I'm not the only one that could see that these guys minus the defence are potentially BETTER than the last bunch. Shaddon Winchester has vision and was one of the few players that could run through opposing players and make incisive passes.  A couple other midfielders were able to contain some Mex and CR players well before they reach into the last 1/3. All in all better than Korea IMO. The real weak spot was that starstruck defence. Them boys taking after Akilie and Kern Cupid 

We have some nice talent on th efield boy. I hope hwen they come back they eh just send them back to their school or club. Some of these guys ready for a higher level of coaching. Stick them with the U-20s so they could get some of Varnes.

Online Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 10:06:01 AM »

We have some nice talent on th efield boy. I hope hwen they come back they eh just send them back to their school or club. Some of these guys ready for a higher level of coaching. Stick them with the U-20s so they could get some of Varnes.

elan you just saying that fuh so ....

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 10:42:33 AM »

elan you just saying that fuh so ....

Nah I serious, the two wingers (I will have to watch over the game to get there numbers), it had a forward who look like he have very good understanding (his timing of checks and movements was pretty good), those are the ones that come to mind right away, but there were a couple others I believe can push on.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 02:47:49 PM »
If those young warriors ahd a coach they would have been sitting pretty right now. Anton needs to hone his coaching skills in the pfl not dry so in international football. HE will always run second best. He needs to be coaching day in day out against serious opposition. Maybe next year when he has no job his brother will give him his team to coach.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »
lol allyuh is tears wee ...if the u-17 hadda coach ...any team that get beaten 7-0 simply not good enough maybe better prep by a better coach could have done something but when u get beat 7-0 and concede 3 goals in the first half against costa rica you're simply not good enough ..... the experience is seeing where you're at and understanding what you need to do to improve to get to these guys level ...Anton simply is a mediocre coach no sense really harping about him because he isnt gonna get much better than he is ... the question is what do you do now do you keep them in training and give some call ups to the u-20's to see if they will improve or just abandon them as they always do and get similar results when they go up to the u-20 level ....inho the last u-17 made it because of talent not because of coaching and this u17 simply didn't have the kinda talent cuz under Anton they were never gonna be coached into making the finals he simply isn't good enough to do so

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 04:42:14 PM »
lol allyuh is tears wee ...if the u-17 hadda coach ...any team that get beaten 7-0 simply not good enough maybe better prep by a better coach could have done something but when u get beat 7-0 and concede 3 goals in the first half against costa rica you're simply not good enough ..... the experience is seeing where you're at and understanding what you need to do to improve to get to these guys level ...Anton simply is a mediocre coach no sense really harping about him because he isnt gonna get much better than he is ... the question is what do you do now do you keep them in training and give some call ups to the u-20's to see if they will improve or just abandon them as they always do and get similar results when they go up to the u-20 level ....inho the last u-17 made it because of talent not because of coaching and this u17 simply didn't have the kinda talent cuz under Anton they were never gonna be coached into making the finals he simply isn't good enough to do so

If you say so. Then african nations should be winning every WC. Wim aint bet he lucky nuh.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 05:21:10 PM »
   Allyuh talking a set of shyt,i'm tired of peeps blaming Coaches for T&T Football,we have tried every local Coach possible,we have tried every possible nationality Coach to improve our players/teams without any success,i don't know what talent we have,i don't know what it is that you all seeing that makes one feel T&T can compete with anybody out there,we just don't have players,it's embarrassing for any Coach to coach any of our national teams,at the international level no Coach should have to worry about players skills.
   I can remember the days when it was a joy to coach a national team,it's no fun any more,no good Coach coming here,to work with who?Football in T&T is headache,no Coach lasting here any length of time wheather they successfull or not,they going to get out when they realize what they have to deal with,if Benie get out it tells you something.
   We does talk about all kind of big name Coach but sleep on that those guys need quality players to get the success they are getting,their credibility and name is on the line,when accepting a job i guess they try to find out as much as possible what they are getting into.We just have to live with what we got and hope for the best as we usually do.             

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 05:34:18 PM »

If you say so. Then african nations should be winning every WC. Wim aint bet he lucky nuh.

Yeah dey real talented dey qualify 4 d next WC witout kickin a ball. Man does chat real nonsense in these parts.

1]; } ?>