May 21, 2024, 09:09:00 AM

Author Topic: Birchall open to offers  (Read 6407 times)

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Birchall open to offers
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 05:38:16 PM »
Birchall doh need the English masses to respect the MLS, just a few managers.  Actually all he needs is one manager.
Gary Smith recently became manager of Stevenage who are in League One and pushing for promotion.  I'm pretty sure he managed in MLS for the past few years.  Other options could be his former club Coventry (rock bottom of the Championship), former club Port Vale (mid-table, I think, in League Two), or maybe joining Carlos and Scotty at Ipswich.  I would say Coventry the most likely of those as Port Vale is probably below his standard though Ipsiwch are also near the bottom of the Championship and could use someone to replace Keith Andrews.  I'm not sure a Championship side would be looking at Birchy right now though be honest, would be good to see him back playing in England though.  On the off chance a Premier League side were to look at him I would guess it would be Stoke (near where he's from and his friend Andy Wilkinson plays there) or maybe Aston Villa (Robbie Keane link).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:44:22 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 12:34:34 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/soccer/post/_/id/14408/galaxy-birchall-wont-return-in-2012

CARSON -- Chris Birchall, an honest, humble, hard-working midfielder who in the past 2½ seasons provided the Galaxy energy and depth -- and a little bit of bite -- won't be back this year. The Englishman, who had been pursuing options at home after his MLS contract expired, revealed the news in a post Monday on his Twitter account.

“Disappointed to say that I will not be returning to LA Galaxy,” Birchall tweeted. “I would like to thank everyone for a Superb 3years,fans exceptional!!Thankyou!”

The decision was not Birchall's, he revealed in a tweet to teammate Bryan Jordan. “Not what I wanted but will miss you all,” he posted.

Birchall, 27, who plays internationally for his mother's native Trinidad & Tobago, started 44 competitive games for L.A. the past two seasons and 50 in all after signing during the 2009 summer transfer window. The fan favorite primarily toiled in central midfield, although he also spelled Landon Donovan on the right side, and although he started the majority of league games in 2010-11, he wasn't considered a first-choice player.

When his contract ran out on Dec. 31, he informed the Galaxy he wanted to find a club in England but was interested in keeping his options with the Galaxy open. As L.A. has filled spots, the opportunity to return has narrowed, and last week's acquisition of former UCLA All-American Kyle Nakazawa in a trade from Philadelphia appears to have closed it.

“Our roster's getting full ...,” Arena said last month. “We've been talking to him on and off. He initially wanted to go to England. As of late, it appears he wants to come back.”

Birchall was a key contributor in last year's MLS Cup title run; his most important performance probably was in the second leg of the first-round playoff series against New York, when he partnered David Beckham in central midfield as Juninho served a red-card suspension. Birchall was superb in shutting off the Red Bulls' midfield game as the Galaxy completed a sweep at Home Depot Centter.

Birchall's announcement drew heavy response from Galaxy fans on Twitter, expressing sorrow that he won't return, wishing him luck -- and wondering whether another Major League Soccer club might come calling.

“Sorry to hear the news buddy,” Galaxy captain Landon Donovan, who is on loan in England to Everton, tweeted to Birchall. “Thanks for all you did for the club and all the good laughs! Take care pal #MrPerfect”

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 03:58:13 AM »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »
yeah he tweeted today the deal shud be completed today and it is definitely not chivas
Back in Trini...

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 11:41:16 AM »
yeah he tweeted today the deal shud be completed today and it is definitely not chivas

Toronto LOL
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »
It is unsure where Birchall will end up but some reports are suggesting he could be making his way to Galaxy’s Los Angeles rivals Chivas USA.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 12:47:22 PM »
He is now at Columbus Crew!
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2012, 05:18:53 AM »
Crew get experience they need in Birchall signing

Foremost among the reasons for signing former LA Galaxy midfielder Chris Birchall to a multi-year contract on Monday is the Columbus Crew’s 2-4-2 record.

The numbers tell the story for a side that’s struggling through a crater full of injuries, forcing Robert Warzycha to rely on young players who are still learning about the speed of the game at the professional level.

“He is a quality player who has experience,” Warzycha said on Monday. “If you want to close the game or score in the end, you need experience on the field. Sometimes with so many young players we don’t have it, especially with all the injuries. You can’t always put so many things on their shoulders.”

(continue)

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

1]; } ?>