May 22, 2024, 12:28:49 AM

Author Topic: Brazil center backs problem  (Read 4722 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brazil center backs problem
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2005, 08:56:40 AM »
jah boy kicker yuh didnt ha to light him up so take it easy on dat man.

hahaha.......... nah nah .....marcos is meh boy man. we go way back  :beermug: :beermug:
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2005, 09:06:23 AM »
Honestly...Italy was not considered any kind of favorite before WC 1990. Italy was going through a rebuilding period....and in Euro 1988 had a mediocre, yet promising tournament. Boys like Viallia, Giannini, Donadoni, Carnevale and Mancini etc. had now burst on de international scene and were considered a real promising group but no one thought they would win. Favorites Brazil went down to Italy just before the WC and beat dem 1-0 on their own home soil with a free kick from Andre Cruz and had won the Copa Ameirca 1989.

The Germans were considered sentimental favorites because it was on European soil, plus Romario broke his leg at PSV and was doubtful. Fans (and bookies) were hoping for a Romario, Careca, Bebeto trifecta. But with Ramario hurt, and Bebeto falling out of favor, Lazaroni's defensive ideaology (it was the football at the time)....the unfortunate Careca, Muller partnership was used. Bookies had Brazil and Germany more or less tied as favorites. Even Holland, the Euro '88 champs were talked more highly of than the Italians with a squad which included Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard, if you want to talk sentimental favorites

The Italy bandwagon did not pick up until Schillaci-mania...and then it really picked up steam when Baggio-mania hit. Both of them were expected to ride the bench, but Italy, for all their slick play and strong defense couldn't score a goal for their lives leading up to the WC and certainly couldn't until Schillaci and Baggio (crowd favorites) replaced Viallia and Carnevale, the original pairing at the start of the WC. Ironically Vialli was put back in the starting line-up against Argentina, instead of Baggio, and although he played well...Italy lost. The rest is history

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2005, 01:59:45 PM »
Brazil might have been considered favourites by the odd makers but people believed their approach was too defensive..i think they scored 2 goals in 4 matches in dat World Cup.

Germany and Italy were probbaly mentioned among the favourites because of it was in Europe and Italy was the host.

Argentina were a favourite because they were defending champions and Maradonna of course.  I don't know who had the best odds...I was not betting at that time...it could have been any one of these 4.....

The funny ting about Brazil..the best game they played they lost through a piece of magic from Maradonna and good finishing from Caniggia.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2005, 02:01:48 PM »
Brazil might have been considered favourites by the odd makers but people believed their approach was too defensive..i think they scored 2 goals in 4 matches in dat World Cup.

And that is why Brazil were favoured because they had gotten away from the "cavalier" teams of '82 and '86 that didn't bring home the cup.

Winning the World Cup really comes down to a lot of luck. After the cup we hail the champions but if the ball rolls a different way in any of the knockout games we would be hailing a different team as worthy Champions.

If Brazil showed up in the 98 final, nobody would talk about France.
If Baggio doesn't miss a final penalty, he is the player of the tournament and everybody hails Italy's resilience.

This is not to say that the eventual winners aren't dominant teams but there is always one game when things winning the cup or being an also-ran hangs in the balance.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 02:05:50 PM by JDB »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2005, 02:03:24 PM »

And that is why Brazil were favoured because they had gotten away from the "cavalier" teams of '82 and '86 that didn't bring home the cup.

That might be true...it was some of the worst football I have ever seen from a Brazilian team.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2005, 03:17:50 PM »

Brazil scored 4 goals in 4 games. Were favorites because their new defensive style was seen as more 'European' and modern and less naive than the attacking teams of '82 and '86, etc.. Also won the Copa America in '89 and beat Italy in a pre-WC warm up  in Italy 1-0. Goal by Andre Cruz

Germany and Italy were probbaly mentioned among the favourites because of it was in Europe and Italy was the host.

Germany yes. Holland as well after winning Euro 1988 and having a bomb squad on paper. Italy..no. Young team, mediocre in 1988 Euro, lost to Brazil in a high profile game at home just before the WC. Vialli and Carnevale just couldn't score. Italy as favorites happened after the cup started when Schillaci hit ridiculous form and Baggio was 'discovered'. One of the favorites due to home advantage and talents, but 4th or 5th in line

The funny ting about Brazil..the best game they played they lost through a piece of magic from Maradonna and good finishing from Caniggia.

So true...Brazil knock was finally on and they rock de post about 3 times. Also looked real good in their first game against Sweden when Careca hit the keeper a deadly drag on the top of the box and he drop on his knees...after that every man who meet a keep on a one one one try to hit him a drag....

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2005, 04:02:15 PM »
I find kicker get quiet with that one

I lock off that argument long time.........Marcos you were in primary school for WC '90....the only general sentiment you knew about was in the tuck shop while yuh were buyin' yuh juice and salt prune.....

If you want to base favorites on general sentiment, then there will be many different favorites based on what part of the world you were in. When people talk about the "official" favorites going into a tournament, they are talking about odd-makers favorites...........

Man bawl "I dunno about odd-makers favorites, but Brazil & Germany were considered outsiders"- that makes no sense..........considered outsiders by whom ? An outsider is determined based on the odd-makers...that is the best estimate of general sentiment, not he say she say on the street.

so until you could verify what they (the odds) were, that talk of general sentiment, and what your hazy recollection was while yuh mudder was ironin' yuh primary school kit................ is as useful as a one legged man in a ass kickin' contest........ ;D ;D ;D :beermug:

LOL i love dis site yes
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2005, 04:18:17 PM »
I remember Brazil real playin in dat Sweden game.
Dat was d first time i ever see man take off and exchange jersey.

But Italy was d faves man, when Baggio had d gheri curl b4 d pony tail
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

1]; } ?>